Wachusett Blueberry Ale | Wachusett Brewing Company

Wachusett Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
wachusettbrew.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This ale defines the style. A slight aroma of blueberry, balanced by a subtle flavor that gets fermented into this delicious wheat ale.

Added by Todd on 11-28-2001

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Straw yellow, perfect clarity. Creamy white head settles quickly. Thin ring of lacing.

S: Lots of blueberry on the nose with an uninspired bready and wheaty malt base. Flat, ghost-like hops. Very one-dimensional.

T: Pretty much the same as the nose. A strong pull of blueberry front and center, and a weak base of wheaty and bready malts. Nondescript hop bitterness just for a touch of balance. Wheat and blueberry finish.

M: Light in body. Somewhat fluffy and creamy, though it does come across a touch watery. Light scrubbing carbonation.

O: A very bland and lifeless wheat-based fruit beer. Not worth a second look. It sells well enough for them though, so in that regard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I guess.

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

3.8/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This will be the first of many New England salutes by The CANQuest (TM) this weekend, following Winter Storm Nemo. I was in Rhode Island last weekend, visiting my buddy, attending the Albany Devs/PVD B's game and getting my picture taken at the Inaugural RI Brewfest, held at the Pawtucket Armory. I am glad that it was last weekend and another trip is in the offing this spring.

From the CAN: "Ale with Natural Blueberry Flavor Added"; "100% Endlessly Recyclable CAN"; "Pack It In, Pack It Out"; "Enjoy with friends [undersigned the brewer]".

The Crack & Glug released a cloud of blueberry odor into the air. As I was sitting in my kitchen, I was put in mind of blueberry pancakes. I had a brief finger of fizzing bone-white head with low retention. Out, out, brief head! Color was a bright sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. There was really no need for me to hold it up to my nose, but I did anyway and got a whiff of full-on blueberry. Yum! Moutfeel was medium and the taste was nowhere near as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Frankly, I was thankful as I am not big on sweet anything, especially beer. It tasted more like blueberry pie, slightly biscuity with a mild berry tartness. I love blueberry pie and so by extension, I really liked this beer. It would probably be better on a hot summer's day, but still ... The other thing that I might recommend is something that I have seen at BOS Beew Works - thaw some frozen blueberries and put them into the beer for an added shot of blueberry.

3.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with blueberries, some sweetness. Taste is slightly tart, the berries not nearly as strong as the aroma, pretty refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a popular beer style around where I'm from, although I don't really understand it. Blueberry ale. Maybe it's popular everywhere and I just don't know, but around here, there's some restaurants and bars that will dump a spoonfull of the berries into the beer and you can watch them rise and fall, and rise and fall, and rise and fall... I've never been too interested in this kind of entertainment so I have normally stayed away from this beer-style. However, a friend left a few in the fridge and I figured; free beer is good beer, right? Why not review it?

Pours like everything you've ever seen. It's the color of Coors Light and has the head of Rolling Rock. What's lacing? The flavor is refreshing and admittedly pleasant. It's very sweet and very well carbonated. It might be related to a sparkling fruit wine, distant cousins or something. After half a bottle, the sweetness starts to get sticky and the buzz barely there. Perfect beer for sweet-beer loving, session drinkers.

Interestingly, this just might be the best fruit-beer on the planet. It is smooth. It is tasty. It is pretty to look at. It goes down easily. But most importantly, it is not bad. The few fruit beers I've personally tasted have been bad at best. This is drinkable stuff, as drinkable as any adjunct lager, especially if you like sweet-tasting things.

4.75/5  rDev +41.8%

3.05/5  rDev -9%

This was an OK beer. A little hint of blueberry in the aroma and taste. Yellow color, pretty think white head. Not persistent. Seemed a bit too carbonated, at least for me. It was an enjoyable enough drink, but not something I would go out of my way for. The underlying beer is nothing remarkable.

2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

Not a hint of blueberry. Nice aroma, but very carbonated, very light appearance, and as I stated, not even a hint of blueberry. Going to stick with Sea Dog Blueberry or even better Dark Horse Blueberry Stout(if I can find it). Not worth buying even for a lawnmower beer.

Wachusett Blueberry Ale from Wachusett Brewing Company