Green Monsta IPA | Wachusett Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Green Monsta IPAGreen Monsta IPA

Wachusett Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
wachusettbrew.com

Style: American IPA

An All-American yeast teams up with Cascade, Amarillo, & Centennial for a home run of hops in every sip.

Added by Jason on 03-04-2011

4.66/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle-Chilled Glass. Excellent IPA ..Smooth to drink with a light hop taste.Dark amber to look at with a medium head and a mild smell. Local Brewery Favorite. Wachusett Brewery.

4.51/5  rDev +24.2%

This is one of my all-time favorite beers! A light golden brown color and often pours with quite a bit of head, which tends to stick around for awhile as I drink it (which I do find a tad bit annoying!). The smell isn't particularly distinguishing or intense, but there is a light citrus-like smell to it combined with hoppiness that predominates.

It's incredibly refreshing and practically bursting with hops when you drink it, yet balanced enough so that it isn't overpowering. You can taste a slight citrus flavor as well to match the smell. It is quite carbonated, which in some cases can adversely affect the flavor of beers - however, in this particular case, the amount of carbonation seems to only compliment the flavor. There is pretty much no aftertaste other than a slight "crispness" from the carbonation and hops, which I love (I very much dislike flavors that linger for too long in the mouth).

The taste is consistent despite the temperature of the beer, which I find refreshingly wonderful. I could drink this during any season, but I'd say it's more of a summer/early fall-type beer due to its refreshing and light, yet very flavorful, quality.

Even better that it's called "Green Monsta." Go Sox! :)

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

On-tap 5/15/2011 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright golden brown, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty but thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, caramelized malts and fruity citrus.

T: The taste starts with sweet flavors of citrus fruits and a little caramel. Then a strong but not over-powering hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, not sure what caused Wachusett to re-create the Green Monsta recipe, but this beer is a very nice choice to drink for a whole evening.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought as part of 12 pack from Burlington (MA) Wines & Spirits on 4/18/14. Poured into a pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: hazy medium amber, offwhite head, nice lacing.

smell: nice moderate blend of pine/ eucalyptus and peach/ papaya.

taste: restrained piney hop bitterness with some bittersweet fruit like pineapple or peach on top of a thick bed of malt.

mouthfeel: solid, good.

overall: nicely balanced blend of malt & hops with fruit and evergreen also balanced. Easy drinking and pleasant.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

A terrific east coast IPA. Extremely drinkable and medium-bodied. When I introduce people to IPAs this would be one of the first I have them try.

4.29/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (TM) owes big ups and major props to Dennho for noticing that I had added this beer to my Wants/Wish List and then CANtacting me to verify my shipping address to send me a couple. One went to my local, in-person trader, tone77, last night and it looks like I have beaten him to the punch in terms of getting my review in.

From the CAN: "Unfiltered Ameri[CAN] India Pale Ale"; "Pack It In, Pack It Out."; "100% Endlessly Recyclable Aluminum C[AN]"; "Enjoy With Friends [undersigned] Mel Kevin Quincy [(?)]".

First of all, having spent a good deal of time in Boston, the name should have an "h" appended to it so that it will really capture the down east accent, ie. "Monstah". Secondly, the Crack and Glug made me realize just how much I would miss them if we went to the 360 degree CAN that Sly Fox is now promoting. I was going with the inverted pour until the head began to foam up to the point that I had to back off. The scent of pine was so strong that I thought that someone had perhaps left a car's air freshener in my kitchen. When all was said and done, I had a dense, rocky finger of tawny head with great retention in the face of today's humidity. It has been unseasonably cool up until now and suddenly it is as humid as July. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Leaning in, I really caught a whiff of the grapefruit odor accompanying the pine scent and simultaneously, my mouth began to water and I emitted a terrific sneeze! I love when that happens. I could wait no longer and got a big mouthful rolling around on my tongue. Mouthfeel was medium and the pine and grapefruit flavors not only commingled but were joined by a caramel sweetness from the malt. If they truly sell this at Fenway Park, it is time for me to make another visit. Finish was dry, very dry, like alum and I was sweating like a junkie awaiting his next fix. The lacing that had begun to appear was going to require the pneumatic drill that I keep out back for just such instances to remove. Well done, you Wachusett boys!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 Oz Bottle into my Notch 0.5l glass. Served cool - warmed up from the fridge under the tap for a couple minutes

A - bronze, clear - not cloudy foamy head from CO2 carbonation
S - Nice hops, hints of malt
T - hop bitterness but with a nice malt balance. Really nice.
M - a little bit of chewiness.
O - Good IPA. Tell me how this is different than their regular IPA?

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%

Enjoyed on cask at Brew City, Worcester, MA.

Arrived in a pint glass with a 1" off-white head over the cloudy coppery blonde brew. Tons of lace, with a long-lasting head. Nose is prominently spicy hops.

Taste begins lightly sweet upfront, with piney bitterness in the middle, which continues through the slightly chalky close. Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth, and oh-so drinkable. Would have this on cask again, no hesitation.

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've had many of these ever since I found them in 12 packs in cans. Found fairly priced at $13 - $15 for 12 pack. Poured into glass is best, but by the pool or in a cooler the cans are ideal. This ale really surprised me, I find the balance of hops and malt very well done. It comes across more crisp and refreshing than many other IPAs so great for warm weather. I remember having it last year and it was just okay, not sure if they changed the recipe, but seems much better this year... or could it be that the Sox sucked last year and it tainted my taste buds? ha! As the Sox continue to win in 2013 it makes it taste all the better to enjoy during a Sox victory... btw, more for us as you never have to worry about any Yanks fans buying it...

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a murky golden amber color with a medium white head. The aroma is all hops, but not overwhelming. The taste is similar to the nose and has a slight bitterness at the end. An excellent beer.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%