Green Monsta IPA | Wachusett Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Green Monsta IPAGreen Monsta IPA

Wachusett Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
wachusettbrew.com

Style: American IPA

An All-American yeast teams up with Cascade, Amarillo, & Centennial for a home run of hops in every sip.

Added by Jason on 03-04-2011

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

After a long debate between this and various other canned beers, I opted to give a nod to my now-waning Red Sox obsession. I had a bottle of this a long while ago when I hated all things hoppy and still enjoyed it, and 12-packs of cans are beer heaven.

A: I really appreciate unfiltered IPAs, so this was a big selling point for me. However, I intend on drinking the rest from the can.

S: Mostly spicy malt, actually. Which, for me, actually is troubling because I detest malty IPAs. That being said, it does smell kind of generically hoppy as well.

T: Malt up-front (uh oh) with a relatively strong spiciness and generic hop flavor. I don't get much citrus or pine as some have, but hey.

M: Great, on point.

O: I really should hate this beer to be honest, for it's way too malty an IPA for me. However, for whatever reason be it the Red Sox allusion or the cool can and the all-around pleasantness of the taste, I dig it. It's not a top tier American IPA by any means but it is something perhaps even more rare: an unfiltered American IPA that comes in 12 packs that you can enjoyably session over and over. For me, that makes me a fan. Recommended, but only if you have the right expectations.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought as part of 12 pack from Burlington (MA) Wines & Spirits on 4/18/14. Poured into a pint glass, served at fridge temp.

appearance: hazy medium amber, offwhite head, nice lacing.

smell: nice moderate blend of pine/ eucalyptus and peach/ papaya.

taste: restrained piney hop bitterness with some bittersweet fruit like pineapple or peach on top of a thick bed of malt.

mouthfeel: solid, good.

overall: nicely balanced blend of malt & hops with fruit and evergreen also balanced. Easy drinking and pleasant.

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the name...go Sox! Maybe I'm partial due to the Red Sox connection, and maybe it was because they were playing on the tube at the bar, but I was impressed with this beer. Dark honey in color, with a fresh and light scent. Nicely balanced with a good bitter finish. Wicked Pissah!

Green Monsta IPA from Wachusett Brewing Company