Green Monsta IPA | Wachusett Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Green Monsta IPAGreen Monsta IPA

Wachusett Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
wachusettbrew.com

Style: American IPA

An All-American yeast teams up with Cascade, Amarillo, & Centennial for a home run of hops in every sip.

Added by Jason on 03-04-2011

4.29/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (TM) owes big ups and major props to Dennho for noticing that I had added this beer to my Wants/Wish List and then CANtacting me to verify my shipping address to send me a couple. One went to my local, in-person trader, tone77, last night and it looks like I have beaten him to the punch in terms of getting my review in.

From the CAN: "Unfiltered Ameri[CAN] India Pale Ale"; "Pack It In, Pack It Out."; "100% Endlessly Recyclable Aluminum C[AN]"; "Enjoy With Friends [undersigned] Mel Kevin Quincy [(?)]".

First of all, having spent a good deal of time in Boston, the name should have an "h" appended to it so that it will really capture the down east accent, ie. "Monstah". Secondly, the Crack and Glug made me realize just how much I would miss them if we went to the 360 degree CAN that Sly Fox is now promoting. I was going with the inverted pour until the head began to foam up to the point that I had to back off. The scent of pine was so strong that I thought that someone had perhaps left a car's air freshener in my kitchen. When all was said and done, I had a dense, rocky finger of tawny head with great retention in the face of today's humidity. It has been unseasonably cool up until now and suddenly it is as humid as July. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Leaning in, I really caught a whiff of the grapefruit odor accompanying the pine scent and simultaneously, my mouth began to water and I emitted a terrific sneeze! I love when that happens. I could wait no longer and got a big mouthful rolling around on my tongue. Mouthfeel was medium and the pine and grapefruit flavors not only commingled but were joined by a caramel sweetness from the malt. If they truly sell this at Fenway Park, it is time for me to make another visit. Finish was dry, very dry, like alum and I was sweating like a junkie awaiting his next fix. The lacing that had begun to appear was going to require the pneumatic drill that I keep out back for just such instances to remove. Well done, you Wachusett boys!

4.5/5  rDev +24%

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear golden orange in color with a thin off-white head. Aromas of caramel and lemon. Taste begins with some apricot, then some light caramel, then some herbal grassy flavors. The finish is piney and minty. Mouthfeel is good. Overall a pretty good ipa.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at M. J. O'Connor's Irish Pub (Waterfront location) in Boston, MA

A: Pours a hazy golden bronze in color with some light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some golden orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall slightly sudsy white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing were observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted biscuit and caramel malts with some tropical/floral hops aromas of peach along with a stronger aroma of pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted biscuit and caramel malts that give it just a touch of sweetness. That is followed by the slightly stronger than moderate flavors of tropical/peach/mango and strong pine hops. Moderate amounts of bitterness (which is somehow not aggressive) which fades pretty quickly.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with slightly heavier than moderate amounts of carbonation. Strangely, it was a little creamy (as if it was a nitro-pour but since I watched the bartender pour it, I know it was not).

O: I found this beer to be fairly easy to drink and quite enjoyable - a nice beer for an early Friday afternoon of a long weekend of vacation. I found the hop presence to be good but more East coast style (rather than the aggressiveness of a West cost style). I could probably have a couple of these in a session because it drinks a little lighter than it is.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

Loved this beer at Fenway; bought a twelve pack of cans. Had in a pint glass. Average smell, appearance, decent taste, mouthfeel. These are a solid enough IPA for everyday drinking, but really need to have an occasion to enjoy properly. Clear, thin mildly hoppy brew. Way better at Fenway :-) .

Green Monsta IPA from Wachusett Brewing Company