Black Eye Ale

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Black Eye AleBlack Eye Ale
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 156 | Ratings: 203 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It may well be my first US Blended Beer, but this is not a practise I am unfamiliar with, for I came across it often in the UK, even in Cask Form. But if Mendocino brew two decent beers, then why mix them !!???? Hmm… Answers on a Postcard Please.
Offered in a huge 1 Pt 9 fl.oz. green glass receptacle, akin to a stumpy Champagne bottle. It is a dark black muddy looking offering that lets little light through its body. Nice big carbondioxidious head (yes - I made that word up), that has a light pale cream color and reminded me of the liquid “expanding foam” that I used to insulate pipes with in England. Malty introduction that offered more characteristics from the Black Hawk Stout than the Eye of the Hawk, which is a real shame for me as I prefer the latter as a "stand-alone" beer. Starts like a Stout – finishes with a hoppy bitterness but sadly a very short finish. It just doesn’t quite feel right somehow. It has everything - yet seems as though it is missing something. A confused beer for me.
As my Science Teacher would say - Interesting experiment, 9/10 for sheer effort – but 2/10 overall, because you reached the wrong conclusion.
“The Ultimate Blend” – I think not. I like Scotch Whisky, and the best stuff is Single Malt, that is to say, it is “Unblended”. I will continue to stick with this principle when I drink beer.
Mendocino should do the same, when making it, I think.

Oct 18, 2002
DarthKostrizer from California

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Look: Black in color and totally opaque with brown rings around the bottom a very nice 1 inch tan head with good retention not great.

Smell: Upfront is a nutty note that seems to be a nut brown mixed with a stout so it creates a unique nuttiness. There is some roast to the beer as well and of course some chocolate notes smells exactly what a black n tan should smell like

Taste: The taste for me kind of falls short and kills this beer for me. It almost creates a cracker jack like flavor so there is some caramel and peanut notes to the beer that are trying to work in harmony with the chocolate but it is not working

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to medium carbonation and is just a bit dry interesting

Overall: To be honest I was hoping this one was going to be just a bit better in the flavor department. It wasnt bad but good either so it kind of let me down

Sep 08, 2011
MikeWard from Pennsylvania

May 05, 2014
Murrhey from Washington

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%

22 oz beer poured in a Pilsner glass

A: Poured thick and dark, with a finger and a half head. Dark nut-brown, transparent with good carbonation. Thick lacing.

S: Smelled two distinct beers in here, not sure if that's what a black and tan is supposed to be like. Lighter hoppy smell and darker malty smell as well.

T: Tasty, not boozy like I expected. Darker than I had thought as well.

M: Good thickness, the best part of this beer.

O: My first black and tan, good experience. I enjoyed it.

Oct 29, 2011

Nage37 from California

Feb 21, 2012
ThomasWSpinrad

4.77/5  rDev +30.7%

Something a little special. Bourbon cask conditioned Black Eye from the Mendocino east coast brewery, served at Saratoga Beer week. Very crisp. Very tasty. Coffee and chocolate notes overlaid with woodsy oak and sweet bourbon, sufficient hops. Much better mouth feel than the straight on tap Black Eye.

Excellent with food. I would follow this beer anywhere.

Feb 29, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Jan 27, 2013
Beerswag from California

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Apr 04, 2015