Talon Double IPA | Mendocino Brewing Company

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

A-Dark gold with good appearance overall.
S-Huge on earthy and piney. Some light lemon citrus.
T-Very bitter and cloying. Not your friendliest DIPA.
M- Medium; I find it cloying and flawed.
O- I think the body could be lightened and the aroma of the beer accentuated. Double IPAs have been done better by other breweries.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bomber into duvel glass. no date printed on the bottle.

darkish mahogany amber look, thin wispy head. smells of dark fruit, oak, soap, spicy herbal hops. on second wiff, a lot of latex and grain alcohol. almost like rubbing alcohol. taste is somewhat an improvement, still a prevalent rubbing alcohol taste. the hops are satisfyingly bitter, but with a numbing cocoa leaf flavor that isn't very appealing. husky grain, oak, and some sweet barleywine-like malt comes through.

I was disappointed in how seemingly one dimensional the hop flavor was in this one. if it were a barleywine I might rate it higher, but even then it doesn't excel. still, I don't feel ripped off in the slightest. it puckered my lips but not in the way I was hoping.

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Solid B grading.

Purchased as a 22oz.

Poured into my new Dogfish head Spiegelau glass.

Love this brewery, huge fan of the 'Red Tail' and the 'Eye of the Hawk' brews. First time I've tried the Talon surprisingly, I've heard mixed reviews on it for quite some time now. I was really impressed with the appearance actually, carbonation was great, head retention was impressive, really thick deep head on that son bitch. Color was a nice reddish/Orange haze. Smell was a little weak, Picked up some pine and citrusy aromas. Down the hatch was intense, as to be expected i guess considering it's a 10% DIPA. Really piney, floral and dry with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Nothing really out of the ordinary on this beer for me, It's decent for what it is.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into my snifter. I've never had anything by (or heard of) this brewery, so I'm pretty excited to try it. Recommended by the staff at my favorite local bottle shop.

A - big head on the forced pour, thick, but recedes quickly. Really good looking beer though, dark oranges and reds. Looks more like a barleywine than a DIPA.

S - there's a pleasant profile hidden here, but the first thing I smell is dirty tap water. There's a lot of alcohol too -- I can tell it's going to be syrupy.

T - meh, too bitter, too thick, too alcoholic. I just don't like it.

M - viscous consistency, clings to the mouth, booze, booze, booze. It drinks hot.

O - not too much to say that hasn't already been said. I won't be getting this again, certainly not worth $7 a bomber.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle with my FW snifter glass
Reviewed on 03/27/2014

A: Mendocino Talon pours a blurry orange-gold body with visible hop and yeast byproducts floating about. A large mass of thick khaki meringue forms over with ample hang time to it. A nice trellis work of lace is left behind on the glass afte reach sip.

S: Bold pine hops and pale malt aromatics dominate the nose. Toasty and bready with some caramel like sweetness and a faint alcohol presence. There is a bit of earthy spice hops underneath as well. Definitely has me thinking a malt bomb at first but there are some decent evergreen hop aromas as well.

T: Whoa…a big boy for sure. Juicy floral and dank at first with a firm malt breadiness riding all throughout. The IBU’s drive an immense bitter bite across the palate with some lightly nuanced pine and citrus hop character. Hits a bit on the sweeter side with its caramel spiced whip. More orange zest coming through in the flavor it seems followed by a very noticeable alcohol showing towards the finish. Resinous and lingering. A rather aggressive brew in every fashion. Malt, Hops, and ABV’s. Still enjoyable but fairly unbalanced.

M: The beer has a moderate to heavier filling aspect on account of the chewy caramel malts. Slightly offset but the cut of a high resinous bitterness. Nice drying touch in the finish with a long lasting linger. In the end the feel is a bit coarse.

D: This was actually better than I was expecting for the price. It is pretty unbalanced with the heavy handed use of malt and hops but still rather fun to drink. Nothing I will go picking up again anytime soon but wouldn’t turn one down if offered. My standards can get lower.

Talon Double IPA from Mendocino Brewing Company