De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch)De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch)

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Tripel

Added by pezoids on 09-06-2001

Reviews: 444 | Ratings: 833
4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

One of the best beers I've had in a while!
The smell is rather fruity almost like an apple cider and they you taste it and it taste like carmelized sugar.
The head is wiped cream or like whipped egg whites and like many belguim beers is not meant for chugging. You want this one to last! ...actually I got another one and it wasn't as good. I don't think these age very well.

This is a special beer.

*added notes

After having quite a few more of these I have to add that the beer's apple smell has a sour taste. I believe the beer has had a saison mix added or a sour/aged beer has been blended to the brew. Brilliant, complex, you will need to drink at least a dozen of these (though the course of a month) to understand this one.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a tulip glass after sitting open for a couple of minutes, still generated quite a head. It is a cloudy amber color underneath all that head, although minimal lacing as the head recedes.

Aroma is very nice, with a definite smell of cloves from the yeast, with a hint of lemon.

Taste is quite hoppy, and a little spicy. Finish allows a raisin flavor to come through.

Feels very good in the mouth, good balance with carbonation, leaving the feel of foam on your lips. A very nice "mad bitch".

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle. Probably shouldn't have tasted this straight after the Oerbier. Lovely hazy orange gold with a massive rocky white head which looked spectacular in my Duvel tulip. Orange peel and spicy alcohol dominate the aroma with acetyl notes and subtle hops in the background. Taste is dry and herbal, dominated by the warm alcoholic finish; the mad bitch definitely bites. Feel is good, but not up to the Oerbier.

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch):

IPA meets Tripel…11.2 oz of madness.

Huge head on an easy pour, that quickly dissipates. Marvelous balance of hops and yeast, with a nice tartness. Sugary slick mouthfeel, but the hops…the fuckin’ hops.

Damn, the bitch is complicated…high maintenance, but I freakin’ love her. She is fine…face it, I’m whipped.

Cheers...

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer was poured into a Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured a hazy golden color. It had a thin white head that dissipated slowly.The aroma was of citrus and spice.

It was medium bodied with good carbonation. This beer has good drinkability with a bitter finish.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Another unusual beer at the local Bavarian Lodge. As an example of a Tripel, this is outstanding, really one of the best I have had. Hazy pale orange in the glass with a thin dense head, the aroma oozes forth from the snifter with all sorts of interesting ester-y, phenolic components. The smell can entertain for hours. Densely flavoured on the palate, apricots prominent, a taste profile that runs from sweet initially to a lingering slightly bitter finish. Very concentrated. A yardstick against which to measure others.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours from the 750ml corked and capped bottle a light gold with a vigorous head and lots of carbonation. The bottle foamed over on me as I shook it a bit trying to get the cork out. I had no trouble putting my mouth over the top of the bottle to keep from losing any...I never let good beer go to waste!!

Smell is fruity and estery with subdued citrus hop notes. Taste and mouthfeel is full of fruity esters, spicy alcohol, and very light hops. Sweet malt kicks in next with a very sweet finish. Lots of risidual sugar is present as far as a tripel goes, but the hops balance it out.

This was very drinkable, which is dangerous given the amount of alcohol. I really enjoyed this brew, one of the tastiest Tripels I have had.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

33cl bottle bought in ABS drinks in Winksele.

Appearance: Blonde hazy brew with large creamy head that diminishes after a couple of minutes. The foam forms a coating layer that rests for a long time.

Smell: malts, yeast, spices, raisins & grapes but above all: sour apples. (Granny Smith)
Unusual but delicous and appetizing.

Taste: Spices and (roasted) malts mainly with notes of alcohol and yeast. The sour apples pop back up in the bitter roasty finish

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Medium carbvonation and smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Drinkable? You bet, but this stuff is quite intoxicating. Heady as hell.

Conclusion: I'm sort of surprised to see other BA's talking about a sweet brew. I found this brew to be slightly dry & pleasantly bitter. Nevertheless; this is a very tasty tripel indeed, but man is this stuff strong. I'm off to bed.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

A sweet, tasty ale that truly that is great after a meal. Pours with a very thick head and a cloudy, amber color. The taste is a mix of sweetness with subtle overtones of fruit hidden in there somewhere, along with a dash of hops. It is quite effervescent which is typical of the belgian style. Very satisfying.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer poured a murky mustard yellow and had a frothy two finger head. It had an awesome aroma of oranges, lemons, honey, and sugars. The taste was great. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, bitters, honey, and sugars were all in the mix.
The feel was crisp and refreshing. It is a great triple. Definitely a great beer to enjoy. I could definitely enjoy a few of these after a long week!

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- poured golden in color, turbid with yeast and carbonation. Incredibly heady, but it dispatched leaving no veil.

S- Spicy and malty with a trace of green apple. Just by the smell I could tell it would be a taste dominated by alcohol.

T- Spicy and boozy... little bit of malt up front, alcohol just cuts through everything. Once warm some of the green apple comes through. After taste is dominated by alcohol and a little bitterness.

M- Carbonation, quite hot in the mouth, but rather thin.

D- It was decent. It's Belgian, so I had my bar set high. There was nothing wrong with it, but being a tripel, I just do not think it's remarkable for that style. It is a good beer, and was a fine drink; however, I do not ever seeing myself seeking one of these out, especially if there are other tripels around. I would order it if there weren't much else, but if an establishment has this, then they'll at least have Chimay and their tripel is superior.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

bottle, served in chalice, bottled May 2011

A - Beautiful dark straw body, with billowing soft big head, that lasts forever. Never seen better.

S - Boozy with a sharper wheat tone, mixed with some bittering hops. Was expecting something a little smoother, but not displeasing at all.

T - Medium-high carbonation that's kind of effervescent, similar to the Unibroue style. Feels like it spreads on the palate. That sharper wheat comes in after with an all booze/hop after taste going from sweeter to more dry, similar to a lighter weizenbock. Really interested to see the IBU on this.

M - Great. Got some real meat to it, but not too much. The impressive head retention really makes it work too.

O - Very nice. Maybe a little too boozy for the style, but I wouldn't turn it down.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Mad Bitch, huh? Sounds good to me. 'Triple your bitchiness with *glug glug* De Dolle Dulle Teve!'

Hit up Julio's Liquors and came away with this bitch.

Bitch.

Slightly foggy honey/caramel/gold color sporting a thick white head that keeps great retention and a sticky lacing. Just don't pour it the same way you pour La Fin Du Monde....trust me on that one.

Smell is sweet, citrusy, floral and vibrant as a bitch in heat.

Taste is sweet as well. With notes of citrus and some hops. Medium bodied, creamy then crisp, and it's not doing a very good job at hiding it's booze.

This bitch isn't that mad actually. It's quite warming, tasty and a damn fine bitch of a beer. The Slutty Bitch is much more fitting as you'll be wanting to give this bitch another whirl. Fo' sho.

A - gold. rocky fluffy ivory foam.

S - slightly tart. cidery. smells slightly old. some malt aroma. maybe a little nutty.

T - big belgian phenolics. a bit cidery. Not too bitter from hops, but some big carbonation. zesty. A little lemony. Alcohol is pretty much out there. Tastes a lot like a trappist example.

M - high carbonation. Easy to drink

D - classic easy to drink strong belgian beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Drank from a 11.2oz bottle. Age was unknown but I dont think it was fresh.
A: A dark orange beer poured with a thick foamy head, that was easily 2-3" thick. Heavy carbonation with lots of yeast floaties around.
S: the smell of alcohol and yeast mostly caught my attention.
T: Was sweet at first followed by yeast with a very faint alcohol burn. Hints of sugar and dried fruits.
M: The mouthfeel was very bubbly due to the heavy carbonation. Overall I woul;d say this was a lighter body beer.
D: Very easy for a 10% beer. This beer went down very smooth

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

Wow it made it America in one piece! It still held its head, I've been so disapointed in what we are getting in Florida lately! Chimay headless! How dare they! Great Beer! Bier!

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I poured this tripel form a 330ml bottle which had been bottled in July 2015. A nice dark, straw-colored liquid that produced a white that came forth. The head dissipated quickly into a thin layer of fairly large bubbles. Minimal lacing was present. The beer’s aroma is a bit understated for a 10% ABV offering. The flavor is excellent, exactly what I expect from a Belgian-style ale, strong, bitter and yeasty. The mouthfeel is a bit on the heavy side. I will definitely be having this one again.

3.46/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

33 cl bottle, served in Chimay goblet.
Pours w/ the typical Dolle Brouwers head, that is: massive, rocky and long-lived, much of the sediment not sinking through the head.
Cloudy dark gold w/ lots of sediment floating about. Highly aggressive, in-your-face taste dominated by hops and a good dose of yeast. Bitter and not for the faint of palate. A beer w/ tons of character.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

I have to admit that the only reason I tried this beer was because I was sitting next to my lovely wife in a beer pub. So what do they share in common, apart from the description?

They both have blonde heads, they're both spicey and neither is what you might expect in the style.

Beautiful golden color, poured from a 330 ml bottle. Not much head (no more wife analogies, OK?) Not the sort of Tripel you might expect either. Pretty well carbonated, but certainly not unpleasant.

Pepper and spice, but not the citrus one might expect, Actually some banana. Sweetness on the middle palate. Well balanced.

Lovely

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light to dark golden color that is cloudy from yeast that helped re-ferment this beer. A large fluffy dense white head. Nice looking pillow of foam. If I could I would lay my head on it. Very fruity reminisant of lemon merangue pie with a cookie crumb crust. Also a light yeast or alcohol spiciness is present. Has a slight sweet but light malt flavor of light fruits and a little toast. Alcohol is there and so is the spice. Light-medium body with a dry finish. Alcohol is smooth but warming.
Great beer in the tripel style.

This is a good beer. I just gave it all fours, because I didn't want to skwabble over whether it was a 4.5 or a 3.5 or whatever. This is a totally solid, if not terrific example of the style.

A- Golden straw with a foamy white head

S- smells like sparkling apple cider, maybe with some spice.

T- heat from the alcohol, pear, plum, green apple, cloves, bready, some funk, maybe even a hint of wood in there. As good a Tripel as I've ever had.

M- Light and fizzy, with a taste that lingers

D- Goes down too easy. If I had the money, I could drink several of these in a session with no regrets... until the next day.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Poured a golden color, darker than most other tripels that I had. Lacked the usual "unfiltered" look of some other tripels as well, but the pillowy white head contrasted nicely, and made nice rings on my glass.

S- Typical belgian yeast coriander smell, but with lots of apples pears and peaches lingering.

T - Lots of fruits and sugars, but balanced out well with a slight hoppy finish. Alcohol taste was quite apparent.

M - I thought that it was overly carbonated. Maybe I got a bad batch but the feel on this wasn't what I was expecting.

D - About par for a high alcohol content tripel. Definetely sweet and boozy tasting, which makes me think that one would be enough.

Had high expectations for this beer, but felt that it left me wanting more from it.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is excellent with some serious head. Aroma is subtle yet intense/complex-molasses, bananas, spices, bread... Flavor is not subtle! Delicious with mirror of the nose adding a warming, explosion of flavor. Outstanding!!!

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Beer guy at Bauer pulled this out the back for me because he remembered my saying that I love tripels. Man do I love tripels...

Not one to spend so much on such a small quantity of beer - especially after being burned twice by the two overpriced, underperforming Founder's breakfast stouts - I decided to splurge and pony up 6 bucks for this slender, brown, 330ml bottle from Belgium. Josh was drooling a bit while he was recommending it, so I figured it might be worth a try.

I catch a whiff before I even get a chance to pour it into my snifter - whooo. The pour is a deep honey color with medium head that quickly resides. Some big bubble stick around after the fact, but no lacing to speak of.

Sweet, sugary smell. Some sour apple and a strong back-nose of honey. There's some other stuff going on in here, but I can't put my finger (nose?) on it.

Taste is big and fills the entire mouth. Perhaps slightly more carbonated that I was expecting, this one is crispy. Big on sweetness as the smell suggests, there's a strong malt backbone that comes around after you finish your sip. The leftover sweetness around the back/sides of the tongue is leaving my mouth watering for more. The alcohol warmth after a bigger than average sip reminds you this isn't one to go overboard with. Apple-ish flavored burps. mmm

On the whole, a delicious brew. Still, I don't see myself spending the money to pick up another bottle. I can't imagine aging this beer would do anything except make it syrupy and even sweeter, which in my eyes wouldn't be a desirable thing. A solid offering, though I'll still take Westmalle's tripel above all else if given the option.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Received this beer in trade for some development work for a beer store in Belgium.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams standard USA beer glass.

Nice white head on top. There is a deceptive color to this beer as it pours darker than it seemed in the bottle which is a pleasant surprise. Its a few degrees darker than a straw color.

Nose is classic Belgian. It reminds me of the nose of a St Bernardus Abt 12. In fact, its so close I would even say its the same yeast. I am loving it before I even take a sip.

Taste is also close to the St Bernardus. Its definitely the same yeast strain. Its a little sweet but it has so many ripe pale fruit esthers. I get pear, golden apple with a bit of vanilla. Its a great mix but just a bit sweet. It is still very smooth with a semi dry finish. It is almost an ABT 12 light if you can imagine that. Almost no alcohol kick even with its lightness and 10% ABV.

Definitely a winner. I will quote Jason Alstrom, who says about this beer, "Slap!", yes ma'am may I have another"

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers