De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch)De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch)

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Tripel

Added by stirgy on 09-06-2001

Reviews: 445 | Ratings: 836

I poured this into my chimay chalice and it filled with a rich orangy gold color with a slight haze to it. A large frothy creamy egg-shell colored head formed and had good power to it. Aromas were spicey, yeasty, enveloped by a cakebread scent, sweet and fruity.

Quite yummy on the palate. Initial flavors of spiced banana bread warm my mouth followed by a feint mineral taste and some yeast finishing with a little alcohol. Somewhat on the dry side and scrubbing on the tongue. Very delicious and punchy.

2.76/5  rDev -33.3%

Serving Type: Standard Bottle

Appearance: Cloudy Orange colour w/ a light white head the lingers around the edges.

Smell: Strong on fruit. Pineapple, peach, lemon...touch of spice. Very nice

Taste: Apricots, pineapple, ends w/ a dry like taste that's hoppy.

Mouthfeel: A bit over the top carbonation leaves this medium drink a little lacking

Drinkability: Not sure....the sweetness in it throws me off. I enjoy juice, I really do....not sure how I like it in my beer though

Edit: Upon further drinking the beer....I'm finding myself enjoying the drink a bit more. The taste still not be my cup of tea, but it is still drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

super looking tripel. thick, fluffy head that would not quit above a murkey,hazy golden amber beer. the aromas were well balanced yeast, malt, hop well balanced. I love de dolle yeast flavors, bright, thick & nutty. This beer tasted well balanced between the elements, good carbonation throughout. Elements of bread, spice, nuts, banana, pear, apple, clementine. All together another quality offering. I truly believe de dolle beers are great for introducing non BAs to flavorful origianl beers that do not overwhelm with overpowering oddball flavors. This beer does so as well

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Serving: Bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with over an inch of head. High carbonation. Looks good for a tripel. Head has remained pretty thick for at least two minutes now.

S: Spicy and yeasty, just what I would expect for a belgian pale.

T: Very spicy, with pepper and lemony notes. Yeast has made a definite impact on this one, with its esters. Alcohol is noticeable, like some other reviewers have noticed. Pretty complex for a Tripel.

M: Bubbly and bitey with the amount of carbonation here. Perfect for a belgian pale ale.

O: Not bad at all. Definitely a lot going on in this beer. I like it. Would buy again.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

Chilled 33 cl bottle with a bottling date of May 2010 and poured into a sniffer glass.

Body is translucent with a bold honey-ish amber color. Moderate degree of hazing but no real noticeable amount of sediment.

The nose is very floral with strong hints of fresh citrus fruits and peels. Sweet honey aromas blend with soft malt and yeast notes. A certain amount of barnyard funk and terra forms a good solid background.

In the mouth this Triple throws out buckets full of citrus flavors, fresh cut juicy hops and warm malts. The initial citrus elements slowly fall away to release peppers and spicy notes.

Very well carbonated, moderate degree of weight in the body and a dry finish while the alcohol warms up.

4.46/5  rDev +7.7%

I like a good beer with a monster head and this one didn't disappoint. A huge rocky head stayed till the end. I poured into a huge glass but it still wasn't enough. Dark Orange in color. Quite opaque, even after cellaring for a few months. Lacing and sediment all over the glass.

White grape juice and canteloupe with a little spice in the aroma. Some earthiness in there as well.

The taste is quite spicy and not as fruity as I expected. Still, it's very good and interesting. Sweet at the beginning but dry at the end.

Mouthfeel is medium light. Quite tingly from the spice and carbonation. Again, somewhat drying at the end.

Very interesting. Not at all what I expected but I very much wanted another one.

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

I've rediscovered this brewery and am I glad. The range is delightful. I look forward to reacquainting myself with them all. This one barely fits into the chalice I chose to pour it in. It normally takes 12 oz easily but this one is 11.2 oz and I had to coax it in. The head is sculpture. The nose is vinous and the taste is sweet changing to bitter. The mouthfeel is fullbodied with the head trying to stick to my nose and upper lip.

This is a food beer. It's as rough as a DuPont Saison looking for a good piece of salmon. Try it with something peppery and broiled. It's strong and drinkable. It's only drawback is that it's not quite as good as some other DeDolle offerings. Boo Hoo it's still worth my time. Some beer is just better than others.

02.17.08

I'm back to this one...It's up against boneless pork rib meat and fries from Dos Amigos in the neighborhood. I put a dry rub on the meat. It's a good rub with no brown sugar. No rub planning on being on the heat for a long time should have any sugar in it. This rub has Smoked Spanish Paprika and celery salt in it. It came off the Weber just now. (If you care I'll share the recipe.) The beer works with the food.

The mouthfeel is medium. The flavor is OK with the ribs and that is quite a challenge. The tartness competes with the flavor of the meat. The medium body.... it works. Thanks to the family for continuing to brew.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy, opaque deep yellow with a thick pure-white head. A little lacing, but not a ton.

Aroma is primarily Belgian yeast, bready toast, candied fruit, some apricot. Honey and caramel as well.

Honey and caramel right up front with some wonderful estery-fruit goodness. I get a little plum, but it's mostly lighter fruit -- pear, a little apricot, a hint of banana -- and a nice peppery spiciness.

It's got a solid feel -- not too dense, with wonderful zip to it and great carbonation.

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer last night and paid US$12.50 for it at an insanely overpriced Belgian bar here in Hong Kong called Frites. It poured with a huge head and I had to let the head chill for a bit before I could finish pouring it into the La Chouffe tulip I drank it in.

Overall a good tripel but I will say that the alcohol was very prevalent. Alot of maltiness and a tad bit of hops were noted. The beer was very carbonated as far as its head but mouthfeel was a bit syrupy.

I didn't dislike this beer but It didn't make a huge impression either. I would certainly drink it again but I will never pay that price for it in the future. Also, for that kind of money it should have been served in the proper glass.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this on tap at the Portland Int'l. Beer Fest (2009). The colour was straw-golden with no head. The aroma was that of granulated sugar and spice. On the palate, more sugar, some caramel and spice and a hint of floral character which came through on the finish, primarily.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

a high fruit ale with
a peach honey blossom
undertone of hops
and earthen phenol bottom

tart and semi-sweet
with a nice carbonation
really feels like a nectar
with a fruit operation

truly exceptional
drinking for the
high ABV

very good stuff
complex in many ways

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a tulip glass. This beer was probably quite old. The expiration date was 4/2002. Don't know when this was brewed as my buddy scored this gem at liquor store a few months back.

WOW! This beer aged really really well. Great carbonation and a strong pop when opened. Good head that dissipated quickly a left great lacing.

Typical tripel color. Yellowish with just the right amount of sediment and yeast. Lot's of different flavors in this one. Citrus notes at first followed by a sweet but dry back end. A prominent apple taste throughout this beer/ Wonderful blend of flavor and strength.

I have had the Mad Bitch many times fresh or relatively fresh and even though I haven't reviewed this before I am a fan of this beer. However, this was aged to perfection. The best single bottle of tripel I have ever had.

If you are into aging beers this is a winner.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

This was the last bottle that we had sitting in one of the coolers at work. I decided to give it a go and poured it in to my Duvel glass. Jul2010 stamped on the bottle cap.

Dark cloudy gold color. The head was big and bone white. Lots of brown floaties in the beer, leading me to think that we had this bottle in the cooler for quite some time. Active bubble rose from the bottom of the glass, pushing some of the floaties in to the head, making it look like some one ashed their cigarette in my beer. Lots of sticky lacing lined the glass.

Some sweet malt, clove, banana, and yeast. A little bit of alcohol. The taste is actually more bitter than the nose. Kind of spicy and there is a nice taste of alcohol. The sweetness borders on a nutty taste. Very enjoyable taste.

Incredibly smooth triple. Very nice flavor. All of the sediment in the bottle and glass was not very appealing, so I'll need to track down a fresh bottle and give it another shot. Overall, an incredibly nice beer.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours cloudy orange gold with a huge foamy head. Aroma of yeast, geass, citrus, light fruits, and spice. Tastes much the same with a vineous quality that shines through at the end. Finishes very smooth with a warming alcohol. Excellent beer. One of my favorite tripels.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

33cl bottle with 1109 printed on the cap. Poured into a goblet; mine was not a gusher.

Honey colored liquid with a two finger white head that settles slowly. Pretty impressive for a tripel.

I smell baked bread, apples, honey, peaches. I don't really sense any banana or spices at all. It's all floral and malty, well, with maybe a touch of spice.

The taste is full of maltiness and honey without being sweet. A bit of alcohol and bitterness build in the taste to the finish. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is lovely - full and syrupy.

Very drinkable, with the alcohol well hidden and everything tasteful and in balance. It's not one that knocks your socks off, but is good all around.

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

One of the best beers I've had in a while!
The smell is rather fruity almost like an apple cider and they you taste it and it taste like carmelized sugar.
The head is wiped cream or like whipped egg whites and like many belguim beers is not meant for chugging. You want this one to last! ...actually I got another one and it wasn't as good. I don't think these age very well.

This is a special beer.

*added notes

After having quite a few more of these I have to add that the beer's apple smell has a sour taste. I believe the beer has had a saison mix added or a sour/aged beer has been blended to the brew. Brilliant, complex, you will need to drink at least a dozen of these (though the course of a month) to understand this one.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a tulip glass after sitting open for a couple of minutes, still generated quite a head. It is a cloudy amber color underneath all that head, although minimal lacing as the head recedes.

Aroma is very nice, with a definite smell of cloves from the yeast, with a hint of lemon.

Taste is quite hoppy, and a little spicy. Finish allows a raisin flavor to come through.

Feels very good in the mouth, good balance with carbonation, leaving the feel of foam on your lips. A very nice "mad bitch".

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle. Probably shouldn't have tasted this straight after the Oerbier. Lovely hazy orange gold with a massive rocky white head which looked spectacular in my Duvel tulip. Orange peel and spicy alcohol dominate the aroma with acetyl notes and subtle hops in the background. Taste is dry and herbal, dominated by the warm alcoholic finish; the mad bitch definitely bites. Feel is good, but not up to the Oerbier.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch):

IPA meets Tripel…11.2 oz of madness.

Huge head on an easy pour, that quickly dissipates. Marvelous balance of hops and yeast, with a nice tartness. Sugary slick mouthfeel, but the hops…the fuckin’ hops.

Damn, the bitch is complicated…high maintenance, but I freakin’ love her. She is fine…face it, I’m whipped.

Cheers...

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer was poured into a Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured a hazy golden color. It had a thin white head that dissipated slowly.The aroma was of citrus and spice.

It was medium bodied with good carbonation. This beer has good drinkability with a bitter finish.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Another unusual beer at the local Bavarian Lodge. As an example of a Tripel, this is outstanding, really one of the best I have had. Hazy pale orange in the glass with a thin dense head, the aroma oozes forth from the snifter with all sorts of interesting ester-y, phenolic components. The smell can entertain for hours. Densely flavoured on the palate, apricots prominent, a taste profile that runs from sweet initially to a lingering slightly bitter finish. Very concentrated. A yardstick against which to measure others.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours from the 750ml corked and capped bottle a light gold with a vigorous head and lots of carbonation. The bottle foamed over on me as I shook it a bit trying to get the cork out. I had no trouble putting my mouth over the top of the bottle to keep from losing any...I never let good beer go to waste!!

Smell is fruity and estery with subdued citrus hop notes. Taste and mouthfeel is full of fruity esters, spicy alcohol, and very light hops. Sweet malt kicks in next with a very sweet finish. Lots of risidual sugar is present as far as a tripel goes, but the hops balance it out.

This was very drinkable, which is dangerous given the amount of alcohol. I really enjoyed this brew, one of the tastiest Tripels I have had.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

33cl bottle bought in ABS drinks in Winksele.

Appearance: Blonde hazy brew with large creamy head that diminishes after a couple of minutes. The foam forms a coating layer that rests for a long time.

Smell: malts, yeast, spices, raisins & grapes but above all: sour apples. (Granny Smith)
Unusual but delicous and appetizing.

Taste: Spices and (roasted) malts mainly with notes of alcohol and yeast. The sour apples pop back up in the bitter roasty finish

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Medium carbvonation and smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Drinkable? You bet, but this stuff is quite intoxicating. Heady as hell.

Conclusion: I'm sort of surprised to see other BA's talking about a sweet brew. I found this brew to be slightly dry & pleasantly bitter. Nevertheless; this is a very tasty tripel indeed, but man is this stuff strong. I'm off to bed.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

A sweet, tasty ale that truly that is great after a meal. Pours with a very thick head and a cloudy, amber color. The taste is a mix of sweetness with subtle overtones of fruit hidden in there somewhere, along with a dash of hops. It is quite effervescent which is typical of the belgian style. Very satisfying.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer poured a murky mustard yellow and had a frothy two finger head. It had an awesome aroma of oranges, lemons, honey, and sugars. The taste was great. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, bitters, honey, and sugars were all in the mix.
The feel was crisp and refreshing. It is a great triple. Definitely a great beer to enjoy. I could definitely enjoy a few of these after a long week!

De Dolle Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers