De Dolle Stille Nacht Special Reserva 2005 | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Stille Nacht Special Reserva 2005De Dolle Stille Nacht Special Reserva 2005

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 01-26-2006

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Body is golden honey kissed by sunshine. It's plenty cloudy, with yeast floaties abounding and a nice dense half inch of head.

Nose leaps at you like a lion with the cage door thrown open. Honestly it smells more like a saison than it does a Belgian dark ale ... very funky ... tart pine apple and oranges and sourishness that is melded with a straight razor of fierce alcohol.

It's a kaleidoscope of flavors. Tangerines, buttery maple, vanilla, and a huge dry finish that brings to mind those syrupy canned pears. There's some funky sourness in the finish and me, I usually do not like sourness at all but here it fits nicely. I don't know if it's my tastes maturing or simply the sourness is done at such an unobtrusive level that I don't mind it. Either way it tastes pretty damned good.

I would probably buy this again in spite of the price tag of nearly $10. It's very unique and extremely tasty.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

eyes...
this beer has more floating in it than the bathroom at the local chinese joint... the head is impressive in retention and this one clings on to you like white trash on pam anderson, lovely microbubbles are very consistent. glowing dull orange hues, actually the hues tend to vary but all fall around the burnt orange range, a very nice looking brew indeed.

nose...
chardonnay, apples, dried out bananas, RYE bread, crush up some caraway seeds in a mortar and pestle and you have this! orange peel with hints of citric sourness, excellent nose on this beast.

taste etc...
whoa, acidic and quite alcoholic, man, did I just do a shot of 151 ? the carbonation dances that fine line of "prickly" and "fluffy".. not overwhelming in the least. This is a sipper or you will burn out your esophagus in one bottle. On the actual flavor the apple flavor seems to dominate at first, then it melds into belgian sugar type and then lingering bitterness in the aftertaste with honey tones. Was that an actual sentence? eh, who cares? This has nice complexity once you become more acclimated to the alcohol/acid attack. Back to the mouthfeel, I have to say it is almost borderline syrupy but yet stays just liquid enough to not be cough syrup.

verdict?
a little out of balance but what does work here works great. This is probably best split amongst a couple of friends with some nasty cheese, this beer can cut through anything.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I once had the 2000 vintage, unfortunately the bottle didn't age gracefully. This is a beer I have looked forward to for a while now. Pours with good head for the ABV, the lacing is outstanding. The color is lighter than expected. The aroma is rich and complex, vanilla, oak and fruit dominate.

This beer tastes more like red wine than any wine-barrel-aged beer I have ever had. I am having trouble separating the beer flavor from the wine flavor. And I should note that I have tasted the regular Stille Nacht only once, it was a 1996 bottle tasted about a year ago. This beer tastes like a wonderful mix of a spiced dark Belgian ale and a rich Bordeaux. The wine notes are dominant, the barrels provide vanilla, and I think much of the spice is coming from the oak.

The mouthfeel is full and refined. I can see the carbonation, but I can only slightly perceive it on my palate now that I am almost finished with my glass. The mouthfeel was more carbonated at first. This beer could only be limited by the acidity provided by the wine barrels and the new sour yeast strain that I think De Dolle used for this beer, but those things won't stop me.

I am not giving a perfect five for taste because I expected a little more complexity, but that may come with age. And though I am fond of aging the right beers, I think this one may be best fresh.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle Inspection: A slapped on neck label lists “Ale” and redemption values. The body label lists the brewers address, and 11.6 fluid oz. White cap states SPEC BREW 2005, so I guess this is the right place.

Aroma: Mild peach and pomegranate nectar with a spicy white pepper Belgian yeast back.

Appearance: Murky amber orange glass was carefully poured to leave sediment in the bottle. A thin collar and a couple spots of lace might be due to the careful pour. As I work my way down, I notice that the murky aspect is actually thousands of small particles that sit at all levels of the beer.

Flavor: A honey note is quickly joined by a fruit cup; Pears, peach, apple, fig, and banana. Some sweetbread flavor that I have to assume is malt based forms a nice base. There is a hint of hop leaf and a long warming alcohol note.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation gives a small prickle, some mild numbing of the teeth, moderate to heavy body.

Overall Impression: Fruity, Belgian, Good. Enjoyed this on Christmas Eve 2006. I could see it aging out a bit more, the alcohol is still just a touch hot, but as a package, this is good drinking right now.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Purchased at the UTOBEER stall, Borough Market, S. London last X'mas. Coming in a 330ml brown bottle, the cap specifies "SPEC BREW 2005" and the front label says "Brouwsel 2005". Served lightly-chilled in a large Burgundy bulb wine glass, on 24/12/2006.

A: pours a dirty and cloudy, rusty reddish-amber colour; the off-white beer head comes rather creamy, gradually settling to a rimmed foam on top of conastant and gentle carbonation.
S: richly malty, sour-sweet fruity and yeasty... like a bowl of sticky melted crystal sugar, infused with peach flavouring, passion fruits, figs, citrus-peels, coriander seeds, and semi-sharp yeastiness as of Yakult~~ All in one, very dense and rich, but never to the point of being overpowering, as the alc. is held back skilfully.
T: sour-sweet fruitiness like citrus and passion-fruit upfront, hand in hand with a flow of milder pale malts... tart-sweet dried prunes and sultanas quickly lace the mildly bitter and intensifyingly dry and richly spicy (very mixed entry of spices) mid-palate... leaving lots of powdery yeasts lying low on the tastebuds, almost like the aftertaste of herbal tea infused with Chinese tea-smoked prunes. Dry, almost rusty and zesty-tannic finish, with but a soothing stream of alc. felt down the throat--ever-so-soft landing for a heavy bomber!!
M&D: silky smooth on the texture with soothingly spritzy carbonation... The body is much lighter than I'd imagine?! "Surely 12%abv. is wrongly put on the label?", ask my taste-buds... The mildly dryish, chewy aftertaste complementing the creamy, fruity body renders this beer beautifully crafted and surprisingly balanced... not overly rich in maltiness, nor thin-ish sour like some other more yeasty strong Belgian pale ales, with a firm imprint of hops in the aftertaste. Overall, this is a fantastic beer to kick off my X'mas beer-tasting season this winter~~

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

330ml slim brown bottle with the usual wacky De Dolle labeling. Dated "Spec Brew 2005" on the cap. Sampled November 10th 2006.

Pours yeast-laden golden brown with no head and thin sticky lacing (not that you'd expect tons of head in a twelve percent beer). Smells something like a Belgian barley wine might. Heady and sweet oak-edged alcohol precedes caramel-dipped citrus and cherries. Flavor is sweet and sugary. Full of caramel and butterscotch, yet balanced with spicy alcohol. Leaves behind an enveloping liquor-like warmth. Smooth and creamy body with gentle tingling carbonation. Very nice assuming you don't have a big aversion to diacetyl.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

I'm not really good at this beer geek talk but..

I just had this and thought it was pretty damn good. Very belgian in aroma, a bit thin in mouthfeel but the finish was distinctive and quite enjoyable. My experience with this brewery has been lots o' hops but not so with this one. Malty, fruity and too quick down the gullet.

12%?? If I didn't just walk into a door, I would have never known!

Enjoy.