De Dolle Arabier | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-23-2000

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

That is a pour you can bring home to mother. You hold it up to Mother's face and you say "See this? See this you bitch! THIS is a beer! This is what you never gave me!" And then right there she realizes that you had been right all along.

You know the smell of a good Belgian? Pick any good Belgian. Fruity, spicy, zippy, zangy, or twangy--yeast and alcohol and fruity and hops. Okay now mix all of those together and make them really strong and perfect. Almost too strong. Oh god I have to sit down.

Mom? Mom--I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was talking about. The smell, it just--it just got INSIDE me. I wasn't me. I was the smell. I'm sorry.

Tastes--well, the flavor was so intense I had to load up this here internet page and make sure it wasn't a smoked beer. It takes a few sips before you can pick out any complexity. Big fruit, big yeast, big spice. Good lord where do we start. All the BA platitudes are rolled into one, right here. Every generic adjective for "good." Starts with spice malt, like steak sauce, moves into spice spice, like pepper and Nature's Seasoning, ends sweet and bitter, lemons and bananas and perfect, dry hops.

Good god I need more. More more more. Everything that is wrong with the world can be summed up from my lack of this beer. Everything that is wrong with me. Everything that is wrong with you. Everything that is wrong with mother.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Terrific appearance. An attracting hazy golden with a gigantic white head displaying splendid lacing. The head leaves a trace after every sip and just stays there, mountainous, rocky, all over the glass. Sediments move at the bottome of the glass. Appealing yeasty sweet aroma. Honeyish malt is the base on which dances an above average hop character for a belgian beer, citrusy, lemony, sprucey. Notes of bread, farmhouse, apple and pepper+cloves. I expected this to be the least interesting De Dolle, but how wrong I was, this one is fabulous, complex, yeasty, balanced, refreshing and almost a session beer. Palate is dry up front, hoppy with a generous bitter finish, but all kinds of things happening in between. There’s a subdued fruitiness in the likes of grapefruit, apple, orange or apricot and complex complementing spices. Refreshing mild tart profile. Great creamy and velvety mouthfeel with above average carbonation. I just played a few hours of tennis and this is a superb "sunny day welcome". The complex toasty almost pilsnerish malt just seduces me. All the ingredients in this beer makes themselves heard and known. Oh plentiful harvest, how I want to live to drink your offerings again... Thank you for enlighting me Sham.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

Amazing fruity nose, pineapple and grapefruit. Amazing white head on golden body. Classy yet huge bitterness. Medium body with wonderful body. Nose changes to a spicier, maltier aroma. Taste is strikingly different from nose, and is floral on a sturdy frame. Carbonation has serious, yet refined attitude.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

De Dolle Arabier from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers