Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 10-23-2000

Reviews: 317 | Ratings: 632
4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a hazy golden colour with a huge crisp head that lasts quite a while!

Smells huge of green apples and yeasty passion fruit, some mango and a hint of lemon, fruits galore! Really pelasant. A little whiff of alcohol aswell.

Rather yeasty taste, but the yeast itself is not overwhelming all the crisp fruitnotes. Apples, citrus, astringent grape peel and a very marked bitterness int he end, a ltitle surprised bby that one, but it makes it feel quite refreshing. I really like hos the bitterness in the end is quite astringent, goes great with the notes of green apples and green grapes, really enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is refreshing, interesting and the carbonation is just right, with medium sized mid-soft bubbles.

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%

S - Ara Bier in cursive with a parrot holding a beer. No best by or bottle on date.

A - Pretty deep pale orange hue. Cloudy, cant see through it at all, quite a bit of sediment. Good chunky head that takes a few minutes to really drop and then form a little chunk sticking to the side of the glass.

S - Definite citrus and hop. Grapefruit, orange, and plenty of hoppy goodness. A little bit of maltiness along with some earthy undertones that really lay low. Very nice.

T - Starts fruity along with a nice malty taste to accompany it. Defintely some orange and a bit of melon as well. Some tropical essence too. Finishes with a beautiful hop slap in the face. Yum.

M - Crisp and bitter. Covers and cuts in that order pretty quick. Not wonderful because it doesnt really stay for long enough, kind of jumps ship a bit too soon. Good, but not great.

D - I could polish off a 750 of this no problem. A very good brew.

4.73/5  rDev +16.8%

11.2 oz bottle ($5.99 @ Downeast Beverage in Portland, ME) poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a mostly transparent candied orange with apricot highlights. Massive rocky off-white head with a great deal of attractive lacing. This is what a BSPA should look like; period dot.

S: Huge Belgian yeast up front; clove, sweet, round banana. Honey, mango and citrus follow. Smells very big, and very nice.

T: Hops come through where they simply were not in the nose at all. A great deal of peppery spice, with a piney, citrus-laden malty finish. Whatever sweetness comes forward quickly dries out towards the end. Palm wishes it tasted like this.

M: Carbonation is on the high side, and this creams up like nothing else. Palate coating for sure, with a lingering bitterness that is perhaps just a tad too much.

O: I really try to rate to style as often as possible. That being said, BSPA is far from a favorite style of mine, although this is without a doubt the best example I've tried. Very much worth a try, especially if you are interested in this style.

A benchmark BSPA for sure, and just another fantastic beer from De Dolle.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

De dolle brouwers brews has such a distinct smell and taste from their yeast that if one enjoys their beers, they ought to enjoy them all. This beer is no exception, but slightly less so. The beer pours with a huge pillowy white head that sticks aroud forever. The beer itself is a pale straw colored yellow, slightly opaque and very bubbly.

The beer has the prototypical de dolle yeast aroma, thick, bready, like old well worn thick wool pants after tobaggoning all day. There is a slightly sweetaroma and no hop aroma that I could detect

The beer tasted chewy with good malt, hop balance (where did these hops come from - I couldn't smell a one?) there are some pear hints abd slightly citrusy undertones, but most of the flavors are yeast based - like thick, crusty, really chewy, european peasant bread. Then - wow - the hops kick in and finish this beer as dry as it comes. I mean roll your tounge under the lips to wick away the dryness dry.

I may be prejudiced for de dolle, but this is another quality offering and at 7% abv, it doesn't seem so .... until it hits you of course

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked up this bottle at Westmere Beverage in Albany. It was a suggestion for me by one of the employees.

Bottle to Tulip

A: Uhh, foam, lots of head here. Actually I had to split this among two tulips.

S: Citrusy, musty, funky, yet clean? I'm not sure if that makes sense but I got a nice clean scent off it.

T: Crisp clean taste. Nice yeasty character. Fruity, citrusy, and some peppery spice.

M: Very carbonated,active, and a nice dry finish.

D: Very nice beer. Highly enjoyable. Complex and funky, small bottle, but a big beer.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

A: very robust and active head with a hazy golden color. looks like a meal in my glass. Head continues to be persistent minutes after the pour with larger bubbling in the laces. beautiful.

S: familiar and pleasant florals with a strong hint of cherries and subtle hints of fresh bread. Again, I get the sense that there's a meal going on here.

T: deep caramel and malty up front, almost overpowering. As it warms, the taste is slightly more subtle up front and pleasant. Tart and balanced hops in the back, the cherry arises. lingering aftertaste is malty and yeasty, slightly unpleasant. Update: this has warmed for 30 minutes now and it is awesome.

M: when cold, I throw it around my tongue the head explodes like a champagne, well done. On the other hand, the beer doesn't sit well in the mouth after a few brief seconds. as it warmed, sits better in the mouth.

D: a special beer to sip, the warmth in my stomach tells me so.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

A - poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass. Freshness dating was noted on bottle. I thought I was pouring at my regular rate but the head exploded to half the glass before I could stop! Color was dark golden. Lacing was thick, but patchy.

S - rich bread and pine resin was evident right out front.

T - clove was noticeable just at first then it quickly dissolved into a resin/grassy combo. malt or hops was not really there for me. but regardless it was very smooth.

M - as stated the taste was smooth and what I'd call medium-bodied. Slightly on the acidic side which I tasted in the back roof of my mouth.

O - a very good brew that I'll have again when I come across it. not as "belgian" as I anticipated it being, but very good nonetheless.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

I was surprised to find this beer to be fairly average all around. Light orange color. Some acidity, some apricot flavor. The flavor appears upfront and then promptly disappears. I actually wish I had poured more yeast into the glass so this beer would have exhibited more flavor.

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%

I am on a mission to try all of the De Dolle Brouwers beers, so I am a fan.

This one is quite a bit different that the dulle teve, oerbeir, bos keun, and still nacht. All of those beers are a bit on the sweet side. This one seems more peppery. A very good beer, just a more savory than sweet taste.

It seems this is more of a dubbel that a tripel.

The head is almost bizarre. It will take some time to pour (unless your really good, or lucky..) and you will have a fluffy bit in your glass the whole way down. It's almost like stiff peaked egg whites for you cooks out there.

De Dolle Brouwers, yo!

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle. Hazy but luminescent orange with a HUGE merangue like white head that lasted admirably and left heaps of lace behind. Aroma is hoppy citrus with some malty sweetness in the background and a little belgian yeasty funk. Taste is dry at first with a little malty sweetness, but dominated by a big finish of spice and hop bitterness, completely hiding the reasonably high ABV. Also noted a slight off "latex" taste. Mouth is light and a little course. For me, not up to the Oerbier unfortunately, although I am sure I will get plenty of disagreement.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

I popped the top and the foam charges out the bottle. Lively carbonation makes a spectacle of the yeast bits floating up and down the glass. Big ‘ol textured head doesn't quit. Nose is deep, rich, and fruity: apple pie, tart grapes, buttered rolls; taste follows suit and is oh so smooth – mouthfeel is superbly smooth with a quick effervescent punch and a decadent finish. Good stuff –I wasn’t sure what kind of beer this was at the shop, but I couldn’t resist the funky label.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

It pours golden-orange with a huge (HUGE) creamy head. Yeah, this one takes a while to pour. The smell is of fruit and yeast. Nothing wild, but very much present. Man, that head just doesn't fade!

Oh, this is an interesting one. My first thought is almost of a hefe; there's that familiar combo of fruit and yeast, but then the hops come in, completely cleaning the palate and leaving a bit of bitterness on the back of the tongue. Very interesting. I'm not sure I've had anything quite like it before, but I sure like it.

This is a perfect combo of a beer that's light enough to knock back on a hot summer day, but complex enough to savor. Great stuff.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5 July 2006, Best Before Jun 08

Cloudy dark orange colour with a huge thick white head. Left most of the yeast in the bottle. Head settled to a white cap and left some lacing on the glass. Aroma is fresh, tart and sweet. Reminiscent of green apples, green grapes and champagne/white wine. Some spiciness there too. Flavour is sweet, fruity, tart and acidic. Some typical Belgian yeast flavours present. Medium body and high carbonation. The 7% alcohol provides a nice amount of warming. This is a superb Belgian pale ale. Bottle advertises that it's unfiltered and unpasteurized.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Served through a roomtempered bottle into a snifter.

A: At first a lush and thick head, white in colour, witch soon resides into small islands of foam and lacing on the glass.
The colour is golden and very hazy. Quite bubbly.

S: Lots of fruit out of this one! Apricot, peach and raisins at first. Then also the belgian yeast with it´s estery character. Some almost liqourice sweetness with a hint of sour in the back.

T: Oh my! This is really nice! Fruits! Peach, raisins and lime. And then sweetness with a touch of liqourice. At the and there´s some spicy hop bitterness.

M: Quite smooth and thick. Medium bodied. The carbonation is not apparent. A bit dry to the finish.

O: Really great beer! This is absolutely smashing and super drinkable. A must have!

3.81/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at De Dolle on 14 August 2011. Into an Oerbier tulip.

Transparent gold with a light and wispy white head. Average lacing.

Smell has hints of cheddar and white wine under a muted hop presence. Some thing smells a little rotten / spoiled about it... perfumey musty mold? Hmm!!?

Taste is apple juice, tart apples, bitterness reminds me of tea leaves littered in a cup of green tea, unsweetened pineapple juice, dry grain in the finish over a pale-ale-ish base. Drinks like 4%. Bitter and floral qualities increase with warmth and envelop my mouth.

Finishes dry with a delicate but lasting pineappley hop after taste.

Consumes like a "session" beer. Super easy drinking.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into a wine glass.

A - The head is the gem here. Its huge (as with just about every De Dolle beer honestly). It retains forever and laces the entire glass. JUst so much carbonation. The acutal color of the beer is a serious gold color.

S - Complex. Its smells serious yeasty but more of a champagne kind of style. There is a hop sort of smell there but it isnt at the fore front.

T - The hops take a larger presence in the taste than in the nose so its almost suprising. Really good. Once again that yeasty sort of champagne-esque quality is there which I love.

M - Light and carbonated. It has a sort of light weight feel to it. Very palate coating.

O - Just a great beer. Its all been said already. If you can find it aquire it. Totally worth it. Another fantastic beer from De Dolle.

4.29/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle tasted at Erasmus in Bruges. Appearance: Orange, cloudy, good sized head. Aroma: Spicy, noticeable bretamyces, and hops to beat the band! Flavor: Fairly sweet, but still very intense. Lots of hops. Finish: Crisp, spicy hoppy finish, with lingering sweetness.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

This is the second De Dolle I've had. I told a bartender at a local beergeek bar that I was a homebrewer and liked belgian beers a lot and we ended up talking for quite a while. He went on talking enthusiastically about De Dolle so I just had to try one and I tried Stille Nacht, which was wonderful! Got high expectations for this one ^^

A: When I opened the beer it made the loudest pop I've ever heard. Was afraid I got a gusher, but it didn't foam up much if at all. It poured mostly head at first, a white thick and sparkly head. Left a bit of nice lacing, but formed a creamy layer of foam on top after a few minutes. Straw colored, clear liquid.

S: Spicy belgian yeast aroma, coriander, pepper and bitter orange peel. Slight herbal hop aroma.

T: Dry, spicy and hoppy flavor. I would actually class this beer as a belgian IPA rather than a BPSA (reminds me a bit of beers such as XX Bitter of Brouwerij De Ranke). Very spicy hop flavor indeed, makes me think of Saaz hops. Quite green hop flavor (not vegetal, but almost grassy I would say). Very little maltiness or graininess in this one, I'd give it a higher rating if it had a more prominent malt backbone.

M/D: The finish is dry and leaves a long bitter aftertaste on the palate and the tip of the tongue. Very drinkable and thirst quenching

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: Wow, this has the most amazing head I've seen yet, even with a gentle pour it was more than four fingers. It was almost like having my beer topped with meringue. Slightly hazy gold under the slowly fading head and sticky lacing. Gorgeous.

S: Spicy Belgian yeast, candied citrus peel, orange blossoms, and ripe pears with a whiff of alcohol.

T: The taste lives up to the smell; slightly sweet, spicy & fruity Belgian yeast, with a firm bitterness and some alcohol warmth to clean things up.

M: Rich, drinkable, but it demands to be sipped and savored. The mouthfeel is full, but not heavy at all, leaving a soft prickle from the fine carbonation.

O: A fantastic beer, I'm really glad that I was able to pick one up. Too bad it's too rare and pricey or I'd drink this much more often. It may not be the best comparison, but this is like a richer, and more decadent version of Duvel. Very well done.

3.94/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Copper color, huge creamy head and which lasts forever. Marvelous!

S: Malt, little yeast and dried apricots. Smells like a wheat beer because of the coriander added.

T: Coriander, yeast, citric fruits. Not so bitter, and the aftertaste is dominated by fresh notes of malt. Mouthfeel is light, probably because this is a summer beer.

O: Nice belgian which should be drunk in the summer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

The beer is copper to honey in color and with a massive head. It started of at almost four fingers and slowly faded to form a solid one finger lid.

The smell has got a lot of bite. It's sour from yeast and exotic fruits. There's also some dry grass and a hint of sweetness. Vanilla panna cotta I think...

Wow, not quite what I expected. A very rich and warm flavour. First comes the sour exotic fruit along with some bitter pine needles. Unfortunatly there is a distinct alcohol flavour. Then comes the yeast, the pine needles are still present. There is a sweetness as well, but it is so vague.

This is a very playfull beer. It tickles your tongue and gives you something to work with. It is a wide spectrum of flavour and yet so well balanced. The carbonation is low and the over all feeling is very warm.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Took me a minute to pour this because of the massive cream colored head. The beer is slightly more copper than gold in my nifty new Double Bastard specialty glass. Warning: use a bigger glass for this beer. You'll be pouring all night in anything under 16oz.

Bright and floral, enticing hop aroma, well-spiced with a hint of ginger. Promising.

Tart and dry, lively hops with a nice bite. A certain earthy/vegetable is going on too. Finishes great.

Very crisp and fizzy, medium-bodied and smooth.

Would be great with dinner or a few just to relax. If I could afford it, I would drink this one all the time.

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

To tell you the truth I purchased this beer because of the bird on the bottle. I poured this bottle into my usual 15 oz mug and wished that I had a 32 oz mug. There is so much head on this beer. I have never seen head like this before. It's BIG, pure white, and fluffy. I had the head coming out of the beer by an inch. This beer is a yellow that turns into brown and is very cloudy. Citrus is the dominate smell, with a hint of apples. This beer is tart without being bitter. It is slightly sweet, weak bodied, and finisher greatly. This beer leaves great lace, all the way to the bottem of the glass. At 7% abv, this beer is still surprisingly drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a generic chalice that's a little too big for the quantity of beer in the small bottle.

Appearance: Very long-lasting off-white foam sitting on top of a dark honey-colored brew. Looks rather appetizing.

Smell: Apple cider (the Norman kind), freshly-baked pastries, maybe a little yeast. delicious

Taste: Well-hidden alcohol under a beer that is surprisingly bitter for a Belgian. I get the impression that the hops and the sugar were dueling it out in this one and that the hops won. As such, the finish is kind of dry, even astringent. The balance between malt, sugar and hops is slightly off..this beer is not meant to be quite this bitter, and it suffers as a result. Thankfully, a bit of the bitter character wears away as the beer warms and obtains a more bready feeling.

Mouthfeel: The astringent quality is a little disconcerting, but otherwise this beer is sprightly and fresh on the tongue.

Drinkability: The bitterness is an issue here (don't get me wrong I love bitter beers under certain circumstances), but this beer surpasses so many others with its other characteristics that it might not matter.

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%

I'm not a huge fan of the De Dolle yeast strain, being about the least fruity of any Belgian strain I can think of off hand, but of their blonds (Dulle Teve, Bos Keun) I think it works the best in this one.

Great gold color, with a strong head if micro bubbles. Appetizingly dry. The alcohol is present but dances well with the yeast (it's listed as 8% on the De Dolle website, not the 7% listed here.) Crisp finish. One of the few De Dolle brews I'll go back to.

De Dolle Arabier from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers