De Dolle Boskeun | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by Todd on 10-23-2000

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy honey-copper color with an off-white head that fills the entire glass after gushing out of the bottle. I actually had to use a second glass because the bottle kept gushing after I filled the first glass with foam. Be forewarned. The head finally settles into a rocky layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of sugar-coated pears with hints of tart apples and American white grapes.

Tastes phenomenal. Sugar-coated pears and lighlty tart green apples up front are joined shortly by huge amounts of bronze scuppernong flavors that are both tart and sweet. These flavors carry through to an ending that leaves a variety of flavors lingering.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a very smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my bottle quickly and not just because some of it didn't make it in the glass and I could have another.

Overall this was a great beer for the style and the flavors are all huge and present in perfect amounts. Definitely worth a shot.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle at Paters Vaetje in Antwerpen.

A - Nice hazy golden color with a large white head.

S - Aroma of pale malt, light fruits, spices, and yeast.

T - Pale malt, somewhat sweet, with De Dolle's trademark yeast flavor. Also some honey, peppery spices, and light fruits. Some alcohol noticeable.

M - Nice crisp palate with lively carbonation and a medium-full body.

D - Pretty high, especially considering this is a 10%er. This could knock you out.

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%

Got this on reccomendation, $5 for a bottle.

A- Pours a nice golden rust, little head, massive sediment left in the bottle. The little foam that's there has staying power and is quite intricate. Hmm. Oh, yeah...33cl into snifter.

S- Wow. Unique. First sniff is sweet, like the flesh of a peach. Kind of reminds me of milk chocolate as well. Not really, but that's the closest thing I can think of. I'm scratching my head on this one, but it's fantastic whatever it is. I was really impressed with the aroma of this beer.

T- Hmm. Not what I expected, although I wasn't sure what to expect. Wrap your head around that one. Anyways, does not follow the nose, the inviting sweetness is not found. A mild twang of tartness is the mainstay. The beer has some mild resinous qualities in the flavor, maybe black licorice? No, what is it... I don't know. I don't know how I feel about this. It's beyond complex... I don't like it but I don't dislike it. I'm confused by it. Perhaps I'm not ready for this beer. As I finish it, the flavors come together a little better, although I'm still at a loss of words. While I respect the compexities, I don't care much for them.

M- High carbonation, expertly blended ABV (10%? GTF outta here!) and a nice chalky closer. This is a beer that disappeared quickly.

D- Moderate. Went down easy. I enjoyed many things about this beer. I was confounded by the flavor profile, though. I don't know if I'm too much of a greenhorn to grasp all the things this beer has going for it. I think I'll have some more BSPAs and come back to this one, re-reviewing if necessary.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 330mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip glass.

Head formation is immediate, massive, and lasting - it took several careful pours before I could even get a look at the liquid beneath the fistfull of rocky suds. When I do, I discern a hazy golden-rod body with selective-yellow/amber highlights. A geographical study in lacing as the foam carves out a sort of grotto in the glass. Very thin legs which recede quickly. Poor clarity.

Herbaceous, biscuity, and fruity aromas - a mouth-watering conglomeration of lavender, rosemary, berries, and malt.

Malt and yeast synergize, presenting on the palate as a unique and perfect whole. Lemon curd, olive oil, fresh sour-dough, coriander, clove, orange zest, pear, white grapes...lots of subtle flavors infuse the palate. The finish is sweet and tart, then just a little dry, leaving behind a cleansing wash of alcohol (hints of a young cognac infused with winter fruit or citrus). Outstanding balance and creativity on display here.

Soft, creamy, and frighteningly effervescent - though still relatively light-bodied, and not at all prickly or astringent. Refreshing and satisfying.

Unique and exceptional ale, which never fails to impress me. The best beer for Spring I've imbibed (whatever the time of year).

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Served cool from a 33cl bottle into an oversized wine glass.

The bottle opens with a loud hiss and, when poured slowly, forms a huge towering head on top. The beer has a hazy golden orange color with no signs of yeast sediment in suspension. As the head slowly falls, piecey lace is found on the side of the glass.

The aroma is heavenly with sllightly sour fruits, mild spices, and floral fragrances. The yeast adds some unusual esters.

Flavor is intense and very complex. I get sweetness up front followed by flavors similar to the aroma. There are tart and sour fruits, freshly ground spices, and a powerful floral character.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with huge carbonation. Unfortunately the carbonation can get in the way of really enjoying the flavors in this beer. Alcohol is warming but well hidden.

Overall, an amazing beer from De Dolle, as I've come to expect. The complexity and variety of aromas and flavors is truly exceptional.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Amazing nose of peach with a high, frothy, long lasting head with an almost soapy mouthfeel. Flavor profile is not as sweet as the nose says it should be, and by the second sip notes of applewood become prominent. Extremely interesting but difficult to drink more than one. Best used as an aperitif.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Before I even mention the color I have to remark on the huge head this one pours...3 fingers of off white foamy head...underneath there is a cloudy amber/orange body...nice lacing

S - Typical Belgian aromas...big yeast aromas and some fruits

T - Nicely balanced...the bread and yeast hit you right off the bat...well rounded on those flavors...some wheat flavors mingle in next...the end is a mixture of fruits and hops...the hops are big but leave a nice far as fruits there are some bananas and lots of grapes

M - Medium bodied...very creamy and smooth

D - I'm starting to like this style more and more...a strong Belgian with a mouthfeel that leaves you wanting more and an ABV that says whoa

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into De Dolle chalice. Beer was a light orange color, with a huge, four finger, rocky, white head. Moderate carbonation and heavy lacing.

Aroma was apples, oranges, pineapples, bread, grains and light yeast.

Taste was pepper, spices, honey, floral hops and yeast. Fairly complex.

Full bodied. Great, great offering from De Dolle.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

It pours like a typical De Dolle, huge carbonted gushing head. Its an orangy color, cloudy with a huge 4 finger very very light tan head that takes several minutes to disapate. Lacing is phenonimnal.

The aroma is bit lacking, kinda smells like a regular american skunker. There are hints of orange, coriander, and hops.

The taste is unique and complex. Not what you would expect from a pale. Its got great flavor from start to finish, and has a surprising bitter finish. Light notes of citrus at the first sip.

33cL bottle poured into a tulip. Upon opening the beer shot from the bottle like a geyser and I lost about 1/3 of the beer is the process.

Pours a yellow gold with a bit over a finger of pillowy white head. Aroma is good, complex, with lots of fruity esters, some bread, honey, and light malt. Taste is good, fair amount of fruity esters that are at times a bit tart, some honey, slightly herbal, light malt. Mouthfeel is good with a light-medium body, moderate+ carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Drinkability is pretty good, 10% ABV is very well hidden, the beer is complex and enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank from an 11.6 fluid ounce bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a tulip

I decided to try this "Paasbier" on Easter morning.

I must first comment on the bottle graphics. De Dolle has the cutest looking labels in the industry and this one just happens to be my favorite. As for the beer, it opened with a loud hiss and foam soon began spewing from the bottle. When all of the liquid eventually made it into my glass, it was a cloudy, dark yellow ochre color with tons of floating yeast particles (apparently the pressure had pulled the sediment off the bottom of the bottle). A huge, five-finger, frothy, bubbly, off-white head slowly faded to a thick dollop of foam. The head deposited marvelous spiderwebs of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was typically Belgian and intense. Quite complex. Spicy and somewhat herbal. A powdery yeast quality came through immediately. Some sweet, honey-like notes were also noticeable. Possibly some Belgian candi sugar as well. Crisp, fresh and country-ish, this BSPA had a nose that was almost saison-like.

The taste was also very Belgian-like. Crisp and yeasty. Some doughy malts appeared up front. Citrus fruits (lemon and bitter orange peel) came through strong in the center. Honey-like notes were definitely noticeable as well. The dry, lingering finish was spicy, crisp and quite hoppy for the style. Overall, very well balanced. As the beer warmed, the dry hoppiness really intensified.

The mouthfeel was light and crisp with a lively, prickly, Champagne-like effervescence. As the beer sat, the carbonation settled down and the liquid became somewhat creamier.

Drinkability was terrific. This beer made for an amazingly quaffable and refreshing aperitif. Furthermore, the 10% ABV was incredibly well hidden.

Bos Keun is definitely a world-class beer. I could not imagine my Easter morning starting off any better then with this brew in hand.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured with an enormous, heaping head. Overflowing, which I gather is not typical. As I waited in anticipation, the head finally settled and I was able to enjoy.

Very cloudy in appearance. Mild carbonation moving about the glass. Faded gold in color.

A flowerly, yeast-like scent. Pleasant. Billed as a spring beer, it definately has the right elements. First taste had a tinge of spice, but not too much. Limited hop character.

A nice drinking ale. The spiciness remains with a tad bit of sweetness to balance the flavors.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle, into chalice.

Pours cloudy gold, with a massive fluffy white head.

Aroma is candy sugar, apricot, bit of yeast.

Taste is interesting -- intense candy sweetness, spicy, but with a slight mellow hop bitterness on the finish that tends to grow. Dry. The spicyness and hops do a great job of balancing out the sweetness. Finish is slightly bitter, dry after an initial hit of dark fruits and spicy sweetness. Some alcohol too.

Mouthfeel is signature de Dolle - an almost drying spritzy soft carbonation that expands in your mouth. Great beer from one of my favorite brewers.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a fully fogged in brown hued orange with a thick frothy crème head. Nose is perfume-y and floral tones. Dough and spices as well. Flavor is extremely smooth. Good levels of hops, sugars, and spices. Very well out together. Feel is a full and slightly nipping carbonation. Liquid is typical. This is very nice. And too easy to drink. I have to pace myself in order to savor it and let it warm to see what happens. Highly suggested.

3.32/5  rDev -20%

EXPLOSIVE head--immediately started overflowing upon opening. Even with pressure from me blowing into the bottle, I could not stem the liquid flowing into my mouth. I lost about an ounce. Okay, so there's almost only head in the pour, and it lasts, like, forever. Spotty lace on the glass. Cloudy gold color. (There's even a head in the bottle from the remaining 4 ounces.)

Refreshing aroma of lighter malts and light Belgian yeast. Not overwhelming, attractive.

Smooth start of lighter malt--this gives way to very strong alcohol overtones, far more than 7% would indicate. Behind that is citrus, yeast and peppery hop bite. As the appearance would indicate, this seems to be way overcarbonated and the body doesn't support it.

For those who love Belgian yeast and a strong alcohol flavor, this may be for you. It's not for me.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

My personal favorite selection from De Dolle. Purchased from 'Le Bier Temple' off of the Grand Place in Brussels.

A- Very hazy golden color with a slight reddish/orange hue to it. Massive head that left nice lacing along my glass. Lots of free particles and yeast floating in my glass.

S - Definite hoppy smell with some fruits coming through. Slight foresty smell as well. Very complex.

T - Lots going on in this brew. First you encounter a fruity taste, followed by a well balanced sweet taste, then it has a nice hop finish. Almost as though you are tasting three different beers. Had to let it linger on the tounge to try to decipher all I was tasting. Very complex, much like the smell. I thought that the alcohol was detectable but in a nice warm-tasting way.

M - This beer, though not overly heavy, definitely leaves you with a dry hoppy finish. I thought that the consistency was great, and filled your mouth with a semi syrupy feeling. Overall a nice feel.

D - With each sip I detected something new, and I felt myself craving more sips once the bottle was drained! :(

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

11.2oz bottle into a La Choulette glass. Not sure of the date on this one. After numerous attempts i finally did not have a gusher on my hands with a De Dolle beer. I was very careful with this one.

A- After slowly prying the cap and a slow pour some floaties (yeast?) were seen pouring into the glass, no big deal. Bos Keun is a dark tan to golden color with some orange spots here and there. I managed to only get a 1 1/2 inch off white head while i usually get 3-5 fingers from De Dolle offerings. A very active head which you can hear if you get close enough.

S- A nice blast of fruit such as a lot of apple with some banana with a honey overlay. Other tropical fruits are detected. A nice sweetness coming from the honey and I guess candied sugars. A nice malt aroma came through with some warming. Some spices including pepper while Bos Keun also has a floral aspect.

T- A lot of banana and apple up front with some candy sweetness and malt backbone. Also some tangy/tropical fruits such as pineapple, pear and apricot. The focus on honey is a nice change up and plays good against other flavors and at times takes center stage. The site says 7% while other reviews say 10%. Either way it's hidden, but does play a part in the taste. Also getting some yeast and spices such as clove and pepper. Bos Keun is very complex and tasty being somewhat a challenge.

M- Bos Keun is quite strange as it starts off with a sharp blast on the tounge. But, if held in suspension for a few seconds it breaks down almost flat like letting the flavors out more. This one packs a lot of carb and you can feel it. This can be a bit sweet in the mouth and pack a punch from each sip. Some tangy/bittering effects come through as well.

D- Really tough to call not knowing the true ABV but i would not mind drinking a few of these. Only drawback is the price and availability. I need to pick some of these up for Easter to go along with the theme of this beer while BK seems like a nice springtime beer. I would kill to find this or any De Dolle on draft to see any differences.

I am still amazed that this did not become a gusher on me.

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

Reviewed on 4/25/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy amber/brown with barely any head. Aroma of apple and pear fruits. Flavor of crisp, fresh apples, pear, prunes, raisin, molasses, fig, some alcohol, Belgian yeast. A good Belgian strong ale but I'm not too crazy about it.
7/4/6/4/14 (3.5/5)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Had a bottle at The Farmhouse with a plate of oysters - a wonderful pairing. Poured a clear dull gold with a tall white head and lacing.

I have to say, while this was quite a tasty beer, no single flavor stands out. What I'm picking up is a rich, spicy, bready malt undertone with rounded, peppery, herbal hop finish. There's a bit of cider in the flavor as well, similar to some of the other De Dolle brews I've had. I also gets faint spice notes along the lines of nutmeg and allspice along with a hint of sweet cherry and flowers.

Overall, very drinkable for the strength and a fine pairing for dinner.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

2006 vintage

A: Brownish orange with a huuuge head.

S: Spices, Cider, Fruit (apples primarly), Belgian yeast.

T: Apples, Sugar, Apricot, Honey, Belgian yeast.

M: A bit on the sweeter side at first but there's definitely some bitterness at the end. Plenty of carbonation too. Warming.

Another good beer from the brewery that doesn't seem to know how to make bad beer :) Recommended!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a big head that leaves all measure of dancing lace patterns around the chalice

Smell: Tropical fruit and peppery yeast, with overripe pineapple, pear, lemon, white pepper and lots of phenols; plenty of alcohol in there, too

Taste: Starts out on the sweet side, with tropical fruit, lemons, fermented honey and bready flavors presenting themselves; by mid-palate, the peppery yeast and other bitter, somewhat medicinal elements balance out the sweetness; after the swallow, the alcohol and peppery flavors dominate, although the sweet elements persist, somewhat, on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and effervescent

Drinkability: I aged this beer for about three years in the hopes to tame it down, but it still has a bit too much booziness; the flavor profile is complex, however, with an interesting blend of the sweet and the tart

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

BLAM!!! Careful when opening this one. Foam goes everywhere!
The color is a cloudy yellow-ish brown color with head for days, lots of carbonation, and a good amount of lacing. The smell is a little citrusy, with some nutmeg or allspice in there, covering up the faint alcohol smell in the background. Almost reminds me of a fall beer.
The taste has a little kick from the alcohol with a lot of citrus elements combined, again, with a little autumn spice. It is a little dry, too.
Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. A good kick and a nice mixture of spice.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2 oz. bottle, poured into tulip glass - My bottle stated 10% abv.

This was a gusher - fortunately, though, I only lost about two ounces, but, it did leave plenty of foam in the glass despite a careful pour. I had to let it sit awhile...

A large (b/c of gusher?) foamy/rocky head that descends to a thick island of a patch, leaving some sticky lacing.

The smell is of dough/yeast with herbal spicing, some black pepper and bubblegum.

The taste is of orange, yeast, and black pepper. Almost sounds more like a description of a wit in writing, but it certainly is not, as there is plenty of grassy notes mixed in - as well as quite a kick of alcohol. Alcohol and spicing are sharp, but don't mask the complexities. Sweet with a touch of citric fruity sour and an almost aspirin-like bitterness.

Effervescence helps this one glide along.

Nice complexities, and, despite the glaring alcohol, this has a smoothness and flavor that make this "sipper" dangerously drinkable.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

11.6 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip. I had a weird, almost clairvoyant feeling as I was opening this that it was going to explode. Well, freakishly enough, it did, but not enough so I couldn't save 90-95% of it by slowly getting it into the glass and wiping off the outside, and it seems to have not suffered too much. In the past I've let them bubble over my fingers like a fountain when a Belgian does that, thinking it a hopeless cause. Not anymore. So here we go, and maybe it was some kind of temperature or mishandling issues, because if the bottle seemed "bad" I wouldn't be reviewing it and would snag another one.

Appearance: Hazy darker copper with beautiful yeast floaties. I love the latter, so I'm biased, as I know others need total clarity or want total clarity usually. Head's obviously massive because of the formerly discussed explosions, but settles down, leaving a ring or two of clumpy lacing with some sparse bigger dots.

Smell: Lots of heady fruit and yeast round this out, with tons of flavors. Pineapple, aromatic roses and other fresh flowers, citrus, along with some sharper earthy phenolics. Also some vanilla flavors and sweeter malt flavors. There's so much involved here. And when I keep going back I'm getting a different sense of effervescent perfume and field of flowers. Like a woman just walked into the door and disappeared.

Taste: Fruity and yeasty, like the aromas, and heady as hell. I feel like every time I pour a new bit into the glass there are some things that change. Tons of ripe tropical fruit, everything from pineapple, mango, starfruit, along with some ripe strawberries and sour cherries. Sweeter vanilla a custard-like malt flavors also creep in. When it comes to the finish, the bitterness and sourness from the hops make themselves apparent, along with mild earthy phenolics. The finish is huge and long and complex as hell. I may need to buy more to lay down. I think I have to.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a great creaminess, which surprised me for the style, with tingly carbonation at the end, another oddity which adds a weird kind of balance to everything.

Drinkability: For around $5 a bottle, like most of De Dolle, or at least that's what I pay for them, you know you're getting your money's worth. This one's big, at actually 10% and not the 7% that it says (Can there please be a BA that does ABV fixing on the side? More and more I'm finding incorrect numbers...) currently above, and the alcohol isn't as prominent as one may figure. All of the Belgian points of interest are there in spades, and I'd love to see how these are years and years down the road, as they're probably always changing with the yeast being such a huge part, usually floating around just with a light bump. Glad I bought this and will jump at another chance to have another of their brews. Is it me, or does sipping on a good Belgian not make the air you breathe around you start to become more aromatic? Craziness galore.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

boom!!!... after the signature de dolle hello - tons of foam and head, this beer turns into a hazy burnt gold with a rocky sheet of white head and tons of lace. nose is pineapple, chewy asprin, honey/sugar and lemony herb tea on top of caramel coated apples. a lot going on. my bottle says 10% abv, and has no freshness date. taste is fruity lemon pepper tea poured over caramel apples with a very peppery and long lasting finish that carries a bit of boozy warmth. a little overboard on the carbonation, and pretty strong, so i would tone down to the ara bier for multiple rounds. another great offering from de dolle.

De Dolle Boskeun from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers