De Dolle Oerbier | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2001

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for sharing this one.

Bottled February 2011. Drank in February 2012. One year old.
This pours a ruddy brown color with tight lacing and thick, tiny bubbles. It has a velvety appearance because of this. Looks fantastic.

Incredible aroma, tart and sour. Some lacto, perhaps, and hints of tannic notes.

Tastes fantastic. The effervescence coats the mouth and the tart, sharp flavors linger for days. The malt gives it some sweetness to contrast with the sour notes. Warms well, with an apparent alcohol warmth to it at 9%. This is an excellent beer.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

The beer poured deep amber brown with a slight haze in the chalice. The head was off white and fell slowly in fine bubble fashion to the edges of the surface to eventually coat the glass.

The aroma was complex with malty sourness, toffee and a spicy complexity. The aroma was filled with fruitiness as well.

The flavor was as promised with a caramel maltiness balanced with a slight spice and a complexity of an oud bruin sourness mixed in. Fruitiness, cherries most notably, shined through in the flavor.

The finish was dry with caramel, fruit flavors and a slight complex sour flavor lasting through the aftertaste. The body was medium.

11.2 ounce bottle. This is a beer that intrigues me and has been a longtime favorite. I think it is one of the most complex and interesting beers on the planet and rated it as such.

4.96/5  rDev +19.5%

35cl draft pour at De Dolle Brouwers (Esen, Belgium)

Characteristic BSDA aromas are in play here as a robust combination of spicy clove esters, bready yeast, dark fruits, plums, and toasty malt comprise the first impression. There is a faint banana-like character to it near the tail end along with some hints of molasses and brown sugar that surface as the beer warms up.

A maelstrom of sweet figs, caramelized sugar and subtle hints of dark fruit (these descriptions sound familiar yet?) upfront, trailed by an obscure combination of clove, toffee, and here's the twist -- a decent amount of tartness, and this time I'm pretty damn sure my tongue's not gone haywire.

Lets off a considerable amount of carbonation for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, which complements its medium body amicably. Clean finish, accentuated by the aforementioned sour notes with sprinkles of sweetness popping out.

Overall an amazingly balanced beer with an incredible amount of depth and complexity going on, despite its higher range ABV. I would actually take this over a St. Bernardus Abt or a Westvleteren XII on most days when I can actually be bothered to argue that Quadrupels and BSDAs essentially belong to the same brewing category...

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

I love this beer. It's pretty ridiculous how much I love this beer. I firmly believe that you could sip this beer for hours and still not quite pick up everything it has to offer.

The color is intriguing. The nose, alluring. The taste, amazing.

When I sip this beer, it wraps me up like a warm blanket. Everything is going to be all right. The American economy? Just take another sip. My girlfriend is pissed at me again? The chubby little yellow Oerbier dude would never be angry at me. Is someone trying to break into my house? That's fine. Just let me keep my Oerbier.

Seriously, though. There is so much going on here it's crazy. Dark candy sugar, yes, so it's sweet, but not too sweet. It's more dry than anything. There is only a slight hop bitterness, but I don't have time to dwell on that. It's all coming at me too fast. Dark fruits, sweet malt, a wonderfully subtle tartness, and, oh right, there's the booze.

This is definitely a sipper, but I don't know why you'd be in any rush to finish it.

God, I love this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Presentation: 11.6 oz slender brown bottle with no freshness date found. Cute ,though in an odd way a little bit demented, yellow oerbier mascot on the front label. Oerbier means "Original Beer".

Appearance: Deep tawny brown colour with amber hues, creamy tiny bubbled lace to boot … seems to stick around for the duration without a problem.

Smell: Granny smith apples and tart berries in the nose, almost a sweet tart vinous (lemon) aroma with grain and earthy hops in the back. Alcohol is apparent with hints of pine spiciness and liquorice.

Taste: Silky smooth beyond belief, slick creamy mouth feel that glides over the tongue with perfection. Fullish body cradles the delicate malt mass, sweetness from the malt is soft yet dominant with a mild clinging tart almost winey flavour on its back. Fruitiness with a liking to ripe blood oranges and earthy currants meld well with the wine like tartness. Hops are veiled though a touch of leaf and mint is noticeable. Malt flavour seems to hold a vague similarity to a tangy raw honey and a chicory finish. Some residuals are leftover in the end with a touch of grassy medicinal phenolic.

Notes: Certainly one of the better beers to come out of Belgium though it is definitely one of the best beers in the world. Lively with the vinous flavours, fruity and sweet with a beefy yet a fragile malt … hops are lucid and are to flavour the brew. A marvelous brew.

My oh my this beer brought me to my knees, last had this one in a beer bar in Brussels called La Porte Noire (sp?) which is located in an 1800's brick cellar. Nice to see that we can get it in the states now.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a deep, dense brown with a massive beige head that dissipates slowly leaving a frothy cap.

Malt, fruit and spice to the nose.

Taste is truly exceptional. Sweet malt with a tart bite; well balanced and so delectable.

Great carbonation, so refreshing. Smooth and relatively light feeling.

Great drinkability, I think I need a case of this. One of the best brews of this style that I've tried in a while.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Undated 11.3oz poured into a tulip.

Reddish mahogany under a huge head of light tan. Strong retention and thick lace.

Dark fruits in a musty cellar with a bit of citrus zest, some spices, bubblegum, and a little warm alcohol. I love the funky fruity sugary mix going on here. The yeast and malt aromas are fucking awesome!

Again, the taste carries the fruit, funk, and sugar profiles, yet the alcohol is absent. I can taste cheeries, melons, tangelos, refined sugar and a little chalk. The funky sweet and sour mix is top notch.

Medium to almost full mouth is a little puckering and that works out nicely with the taste. This is one of the best beers I've had in a while and my only regret is not buying more.

De Dolle Oerbier from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers