De Dolle Oerbier | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2001

1.97/5  rDev -52.5%

Huge head, cloudy caramel color. Nose of tobacco leaf and light caramel, grapefruit. Taste is heavy carbonation, tobacco, caramel, grapefruit and metal, like rusty pipes and copper. Yeasty metallic finish. Kinda what I expect a spittoon to taste like, liquid cigarettes soaked in grapefruit juice in a copper spittoon. Very disappointing, I don't get the hype here. I can not recommend. Difficult to finish.

Edit: I let the beer warm up and ate some cheddar and pumpernickel and the beer started to get a bit better, warmer, less metallic. Added a couple points from the F.

2.24/5  rDev -46%

Appears with huge overly carbonated fine bubbles it takes a good fifteen to 30 minutes to poor this beer into my chalice at the end of that time the head dwindles and leaves fine lace to the sides of my glass. I experienced the same phenomenon with Stille de Nacht body appears a murky unfiltered deep ruby brown tea like tone with a large fine bubbled head. Aroma sharp sweetness with a pungent note of fruit tartness mild metallic noted and pure carbonation tickling the nose. Flavor is overtly alcoholic with a bland bitter dirty fruit and malt combo, heavy on tobacco leaf and earthiness very unbalanced with stale tasting hop notes, mild tart apple and acidic qualities added in. I don't wanna say infected but with carbonation like that and completely uncohesive flavors I'm floored. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated tickles the throat and dampers drinkability medium bodied overall. Drinkability is poor I'm looking for fine velvet like drinking ales from Belgium and this one is a train wreck of spice tartness and malt flavors.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.44/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Dag this is sour. Quite sour

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

2.56/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally! I get some back up from the beer savant below me. I too do not think much of this beer. More on that later. Dark murky copper brown with a seriously over-carbonated head. Aroma of yeast, spice and candy sugar. The flavor is so hard to taste with all these hairy bubbles going ape shit in my mouth. As the flavor emerges I sense overt yeasty spiciness, an acidic tartness, and definite alcohol presence. Body is hard to discern as well with all these bubbles. Finishes alcoholic and yeasty. I have had most of the De Dolle beers before (different bottlings, different ages) and this is a consistent experience: too much carbonation, overtly alcoholic and unbalanced and hard to swallow - it's almost like home brew gone really bad. If this stuff is so heavily coveted then we should all just go back to Stroh's.

2.66/5  rDev -35.9%

I loved the Special Reserve (2004) so I had huge hopes for this guy.

I thought this was supposed to be an Oud Bruin! It ain't, and it ain't good neither.

Phenolic, definately not sour. A little sweet, maybe a little balance between yeast and malts but it isn't that impressive.

Yeah, pretty run-of-the-mill. Definately not worth the price. Not at all.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours dark brown to near black with light brown head.

Nose has a cellared musty aroma, maybe a cheese component in there, and some wild berry.

Palate is miscellaneous passion fruits with a metallic taste that isn't quite right. There's also a "cola" flavor profile as well with the sweetness, perhaps sugary caramel.

Finish is tart and metallic.

2.82/5  rDev -32%

Aromas are straight Belgian yeast and caramel with some dark fruity maltiness headline. A little bit of spice and tart yeastiness asserts itself with very mild herbal hopping.

The taste is quite less sweet but there is still plenty of fig and raisin malty flavor. The yeast takes over however and creates a spicy, tartness. A bit too sour and Belgiany for my liking.

It is a decent Belgian ale with decent complexity; i really do not enjoy the yeastiness from this beer or an De Dolle beers. I am not a fan of sour beers but I am curious about what happens to this one with some time.

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

Thanks for RobBeer bringing this all the way out to Japan.

A - Tight cream colored head on a muddy brown body.
S - Carob and molasses aroma
T - Chocolate (or rather unsweetened cocoa), lots of candied dark fruit, slightly vinous and sour, rather dry and lacking sweetness.
M - Active micro-carbonation on a medium body.
D - This was a weird beer.

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

The lable leeds to some strange thoughts, what a weird little dude!!

A dark amber/brown color, fast fizzy look, the head is dancing around, up and down going crazy! it's safe to say this one is a bit too carbonated. It looks more like soda or champagne.

The aroma is that of grape soda, black berries, bropwn sugar, spicey, hot yeast; but not at all complex. I really love the usually complex yeasts used in classic Belgian ale's, but this one simply doesn't have it.

Huge amounts of bitter hops hits first, which is not exactly what i was expecting, or enjoy. Tangy sour grapes and tangy-metallic yeast, dry earth mixed with some intense, out-of-balance heat. The body is pretty thin for the style, which is my all-time favorite, not so here. The massive carbonation gives it a zippy feel, but it's too much. Subtle dark fruits underneath with some wild yeasty flavor's later on almost brings this back from the dead. The Belgian's usually have SUBLIME balance, even with their biggest brews, and this one is a mess with flavor's attacking you from every direction.

Dissapointment is the only word I can think of right now.

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Bottle from ABS Drinks outside Brussels. Really wanted to try this based on the hype and the quality of other De Dolle beers I'd had. Shared with a friend at his place. From notes.

A - Poured with a one finger beige head. Dark red colour with a maroon/brown element. Good carbonation and good lacing for a half bottle pour. Half finger of retention.

S - Yeasty and some strong dark fruit. Takes some time to open up. Really yeasty with some orange notes too. Yeast dominates aggressively.

T - Yeasty, some eggs, dark fruit is really mild but there. Unpleasant. Yeast is way too aggressive and the egg type taste is probably a product of that.

M - Medium carbonation, full body. Sweet/eggy lingering notes.

O/D - I didn't really like this. I don't know if there was a problem with my bottle but this is a style I typically enjoy. I've rarely pick out those harsh notes in beers so I'd like to try another one but this isn't exactly easy to get in Canada. This just wasn't for me.

Pours a coppery brown with an initial thick tan head. The foamy head fizzled out rather quickly leaving an eight inch creamy head that laced nicely till the end. The smell has a bit of vanilla, banana, and other? fruits. The 9.5 abv stands out in this one. The initial sip starts as it smells, with a candi sugar note added. The sweetness dwindles and the taste ends on the dry and tart side.
For a Belgian, I'm not entirely impressed. My first Oerbier was had about a year ago. I don't know what I had prior to that, however, I recall it being a bit sweeter and smoother. On that recollection, I went out and bought a case. This review is based on the first bottle out of that case. Here in, lies the problem with the 'case only law' in Pa. There were a lot of other beers that I would have chosen over this one had I had the opportunity to buy just one bottle to jog my memory. While I'd never pour this beer down the drain, I can name at least twenty other Belgians that I would take over this one.

3.02/5  rDev -27.2%

330ml bottle poured into a Tulip Glass. No idea how old this is, I can't find a date for the life of me. It seems people are doing reviews of bottles with "Bottled 2010" on them, I have to assume this one is pre-2010.

A - Pours a cloudy mahogany with reddish highlights and a creamy, 2-inch ivory head that settles to a thick haze and leaves nice sheets of lace.
S - Huge aromas of dark dried fruits (raisins, dates, prunes), a bit of spicy Belgian yeast, chocolate, and a touch of sour red wine. Very complex and delicious nose, I can't stop smelling it!
T - Hmm...this is probably a bit past it's prime. While there are nice flavors of dark malt, chocolate, and raspberry jam, there's an unpleasant metallic flavor that's really ruining this for me. Tastes like dirty pennies. Darn, I wanted to like this.
M - Mouth-feel doesn't help the issue, either. A bit thin, with an overly-fizzy level of carbonation. Definitely past it's prime or not stored correctly.
O - I'm gonna need to try this one fresh, I really feel like this should be a great beer.

3.07/5  rDev -26%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Well now, another most interesting beer from De Dolle. Pours an amber brown color with an off white head with big, thin bubbles that settle to a decent lacing.

Interesting aroma, complex with malts, spices, tons of fruit, and a winey aroma, that's quite bizzare.

There's some of that good spice in the taste, but then the sour grape flavor comes into play. It's too much. I really can't drink it. Actually, i drank about half a glass because it was so bizzarre. It tastes more like low quality wine than beer. Or perhaps a combination of the 2.

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Having enjoyed the 'Mad Bitch' by these guys, trying others in the line was something I really looked forward to.

Appearance was a murky deep caramel, not opaque and not quite to the point where sediment appears suspended in the glass. The tan head was pretty burly at first but settled into a nice constant half inch.

Smell. Clear malt backbone with caramel and raisins. Not much alcohol considering its 9.5% heft.

Taste. Definite fruit characteristics married to a roasted malt base. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste that almost veers toward sour. Lots of bubbles at first carry the flavor too much to savor. Warming up, more complexities emerge but still a little too light on the palate. The finish was close to an alcohol soaked raisin.

Mouthfeel. Sticking with 'light' as a theme the beer is in and out of the palate quickly and fails to deliver a solid quality while there. The carbonation might have something to do with it. Trying it on draft might be better.

Drinkability. Despite a few references to 'light', this is far from a session beer. Definitely worth a try. More than one? Depends what else is on the menu.

De Dolle Oerbier from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers