De Dolle Stille Nacht | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Stille NachtDe Dolle Stille Nacht

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
dedollebrouwers.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Alcohol has gone from 8% to 12% in recent years due to better yeast performance; according to Kris Kerteler.

Added by Todd on 03-25-2001

Ratings: 1,045 |  Reviews: 514
1.5/5  rDev -63.6%

1.75/5  rDev -57.5%

Unlike other reviews this poured with a thick creamy head with remarkable retention. It has a deep pumpkin pie color and despite my best efforts plenty of yeast came out of the bottle when poured. The aroma reminds me of soy sauce with a high level of sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth, but does not make up with the overly sweet taste as though the brewers were a little too happy with their belgium candy sugar. Overall having to take extra sips of this beer to review it was unpleasurable, the rest I suffered a great tragedy and went down my sink after friends rejected my offer of free beer.

2.03/5  rDev -50.7%

A strange beer. Too much sweet, smell and taste.A "cotton-wool" taste, too much sweet again, and even unbalanced to the alcohlic. A delusion...

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

I stand as a man divided in terms of this beer. Half of me wants to dump it down the drain, the other half keeps drinking it.

Beautiful golden-amber that isn't so much murky as it is obstructed by sizeable yeast chunks. Gigantic, undulating beige head. Very impressive looking.

First off. DO NOT drink this cold unless you want to find the very definition of cloying.
Nose of overripe apricots caked in cream cheese that has been left on the counter overnight. Throw in some tangerines too.
Taste is an exercise in fruity excess. The apricots and tangerines from the nose are flaunted mercilessly. Some juicy tart apples and sour grapes enter. Buttery toffee attempts to provide a base. Waves of nutrasweet and brown sugar overwhelm the tastebuds, and will prompt a morning call to the dentist. No hops to speak of. Alcohol pops up late, in a Kero syrup fashion. This rides out obnoxiously sweet, with a few hints of grain.
The mouthfeel is actually very solid. If I could just get this to dry a bit, it would be pretty good. Clinging, sickly sweetness hurts here too.
As it stands, this is more of an experience than a decent beer.

Update: I've had this twice more. And dumped it twice. Hugely sweet and much boozier that I recall. Thicker and hotter and stickier. Are recent vintages 12%? (as I believe I saw stated on the label.)
Whatever, I can't deal with this one.

2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

Medium copper body, slightly hazy, with a small, off-white head. Smells of tangy fruit that's been soaking in alcohol overnight. Slightly vinuous, and yeasty. Taste was a little surprising. Over the top sweetness laced with alcohol, or more accurately: cough syrup, Belgian cough syrup. Whew! The big candy sugar/alcohol wave crashes into some sharp bitterness, but the nyquil-ness lingers on. The combination of the cloying candy sweetness and the medicinal alcohol prove too much for me to enjoy this. I'm hoping this bottle was an off one, but I'm afraid I won't be ponying up another $5 to find out.

2.44/5  rDev -40.8%

This beer exploded out of the bottle due to excessive carbonation. The head absolutely dominated the beer making me wonder if this was a bad brew (I don't think it should be since I just bought it, but who knows how long it wason the shelf).

The aroma was pleasant with citrus notes (lemon, orange) and reminded me of a Saison.

The citrus flavors were present but overwhelmed by a strong alcohol finish. The alcohol content is rated at 8% but it felt like it was much higher. My eyes burned after each sip. I don't want to say this was awful--it was interesting.

This beer was so sharp I thought it was going to draw blood. I could feel the beer in my sinuses it was so strong--ouch. After the burn, there is a dry finish.

I could not drink this beer or recommend it to anyone. I really wanted to like it and tried with each drink to convince myself it was good. Unfortunately, I could not get myself to like this beer. I'm not sure this was what they intended, but it is disappointing.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

Bottle from Marlou Genk , bottled 2012. Has a deep, hazy yellow appearance with a yellowish head, which vanishes fast.

Aroma is of strong alcohol, differents spices, including clove and cinnamon, and yeast.

Taste of this brew is complex, alcohol is present from the very beginning and lingers till the end. Very yeasty, lots of spices on my tongue, cinnamon, clove, pepper, burned malt, sugar, honey and a little bitterness at the end, which enhances the sweetness of the sugar. Long aftertaste of mostly sugar and alcohol. In my opinion they push it too far, the beer appears unbalanced to me, sugar and alcohol are too present, they dominate all the other ingredients and interrupt the possible complexity.

2.52/5  rDev -38.8%

Meh.

Well, first off, I would have called this beer a Belgian Pale Strong Ale, but I guess that cutoff is fairly subjective.

Anyway, it pours a light, opaque amber with a huge head that it can't sustain for more than a few seconds.

It reeks of phenols, really quite one-dimensional and medicinal

It tastes the same.

The mouthfeel, however, is quite full. I liked that.

Drinkability? I'm lucky it comes in a small bottle, but even this is a challenge to finish.

2.53/5  rDev -38.6%

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of every other de Dolle beer I've tried, but this - Ack! Way too damn sweet.

Starts off good - nice hazy gold with a beautiful white head that stays around until I pour it down the drain 45 painful minutes later. Smell is very nice - medicinal qualities stand by a cotton candy and bubble gum like sweetness. But that's only the tip of the iceberg.

The mecinal qualities are there in the taste as well (in fact sometimes it tastes like pepto bismol) but are completely obliterated by the most horribly cloying sweetness you can possibly imagine. Besides the nice apricot flavors, this tastes like Bubble Yum coated with pure sugar. There are some caramel notes in the finish but absolutely nothing there to balance the sweetness which lingers on an on. The only time this beer was enjoyable was on the first sip before the lingering sweetness. I'll give it a 2.0 - bonus points for complexity, but even that seems generous. Mouthfeel is nice and thick and well carbonated, but a little sticky seeming. I was only able to finish a quarter of this in almost an hour.

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a 355 mL bottle of Stille Nacht served at les Mannequin Pis in Olney, MD.

Appearance: The ale has an amber to orange color with quite a bit of sediment. There is a bit of head, but nothing great.

Smell: The malts dominate the ale, providing a strong sweet nose that is not that great.

Taste: The ale's malts really dominate. There is a clear amount of sugars that imparts a significant sweetness that overpowers the mouth. I found myself unable to finish.

Mouthfeel: Cloyingly sweet.

Drinkability: It is not drinkable, the sweetness and abv overwhelm.

2.7/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aged one year:

Poured with little carbonation but there was a nice slick ot white head on top of the beer. The smell was quite sweet; full of molassas, brown sugar, carmalized candi sugar, and very sweet belgian notes. The taste was a little too sweet getting close to cloying. There was too much sweet cherry flavored cough syrup and not enough balance. Even a little bit of alcohol would help. This was vertainly not my favorite beer ever.

2.71/5  rDev -34.2%

Stille Nacht

11.2 oz bottle from Circle Liquors- Pennington, NJ

A- Hazy cloudy orange with a, too, thick white head. Thick messy lacing.
S- Strong sweet grapes. Like a Chardonny or Zinfidel whichever is the sweeter 1.
T- Sweet wine grapes. Not much else.
M- sweet and fruity throughout. Slight booziness in the end.

Overall- Nah, not a fan! Too much like wine.

2.72/5  rDev -34%

11.2oz bottle into a pint glass  @ The Winking Lizard.  2009 vintage.

I have a love/hate relationship with DeDolle beers.  I find many of them to be too unbalanced and hot, but a few have been great.  This takes the cake as hands-down the worst of the bunch, starting with the appearance. Good god this looks like mud in a glass.  I poured it carefully but still it came out like mud - super dirty.  The beer is brown with no head.  No lace.  A disappointing start.

Stille Nacht smells like bubblegum and booze.  Some banana and cotton candy are also noted.  The beer is pretty expressive, but the booze just kills me.  There are some fruity notes like peach and apricot, and a touch of butter.  But, overall, this is like a shot of vodka poured into a nice Belgian.

Holy smokes.  This is the heaviest, hottest beer ever.  Booze, booze, booze.  Cotton candy.  Booze and some sugary malt afterwards. A touch of caramel and sugar.  More booze and apricot jam.  God lord, how can anyone drink this shit?  I've had a 5 year bottle and it did calm down a bit, but it was still just way too boozy fresh.  Should these really be sold when they're this green?

To make matters worse, the mouthfeel is characterized by a flat and syrupy thick liquid.  That's it.  Life is too short to drink bad beer like this and even shorter to write about them.  An utter abomination.  When I type Stille Nacht into google it asks me if I meant Still Nacho.  I wish I did.  Even stillborn nachos would be better than this.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

Unfortunately, there was not date sticker on this one, so I'm not sure of the vintage. In any case...

A: The pour is an opaque dark orange color with a dense white head. Fairly good head retention, too.

S: A fairly enticing nose. Lots of sweet, amber candi sugar, pears, bananas, and figs. Some warming spice notes and a mild yeast character. A hint or too of alcohol as well.

T: The initial few sips are nice, and follow the nose well. Candi sugar, and some dark fruit notes up front, but the finish is just alcohol. Very, very hot and ethanol forward after the initial flavor of the beer.

M: The body is nice. A medium body with a very fine carbonation that fills the mouth. Unfortunately, the alcohol sort of ruins this too.

D: It's too bad that this beer was so alcohol forward. I'll look to revisit this beer in the future (possibly with an aged bottle), hoping this was an aberration.

2.77/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer smells and tastes like dirty gym socks. The head is huge and lacing is good, but that doesn't forgive the smell (socks) and taste (malty socks).

2.8/5  rDev -32%

Pours a golden orange color with a small bubbly head and similar lacing.

Scent of sugars, fruits, some yeast, bubble gum, caramel and a hint of alcohol. Strange, almost smells more like juice than beer, but it is pretty good.

Taste is very sweet with caramel, sugars, butter, maple syrup and bubble gum. This is just overly sweet, almost sickeningly sweet. The finish is what saves it somewhat, it's a little dry with some graham cracker and light sugars.

Mouthfeel is full, but it's a little syrupy.

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%

Much rather drink a Duvel. The beer geek at the store really built this one up and needless to say, I was disappointed.

A-Heavy head pour. Not my favorite beer to pour, having to wait 10 minutes for the head to settle enough to drink. Good color though.

S-Smelled to high heaven of fruit. Too strong.

T-Just average. Fruit flavors, bananas stood out to me. Light honey flavoring.

M-Bad after taste. Sticky.

D-Won't have another unless it is a reserve, though even then I will be reserved.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

12 ounce bottle purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

No freshness date.

Absolutely no head. Maybe an old bottle? Body is deep amber. Held to the light reveals an attractive haze.

Smell is big alcohol heat and a fiesty background of brown sugar and blackened fruit.

Whoa, the taste is overwhelmingly sweet right off the bat -- like a mouthful of cotton candy. That huge rush of sweetness levels out slightly to make way for some complexity -- those dark fruit flavors pinch through, and a small sweep of alcohol. Aftertaste reveals a little bit of bitterness, but the sugary sweetness dominates throughout.

Barely any carbonation, and a syrupy sticky mouthfeel.

Was on sale -- wanted to give it a go.

De Dolle Stille Nacht from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers