Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by kbub6f on 06-30-2001

Reviews: 693 | Ratings: 1,675
3.77/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured into the Custom Pauwel Kwak special edition glass. It pours a rich burnt-orange amber mostly clear. The head rises quick, fluffy and foamy and dissipates fairly quick.

Aromatics: Light fruity citrus with undertones of fresh cut grass. An ever so subtle alcohol scent at the very back.

Taste: Sweet and savoury, a light combination of apple and banana come to mind over top of the mild spice and every so slight hop. Sweetness continues into the aftertaste.

Feel: Fairly heavy for what I was expecting - not that it’s heavy, but it does have a slightly oily weight and drys into a unique sweet bitter and finishes very cleanly.

Overall: I love the glass, and I think it suits this beer very well. I think it is my first BSPA, and I liked the complexity in the balance between the fruit aroma, sweet flavours, and bitter feel. Very solid beer in my opinion.

4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a nice, dark copper color in my New Belgium globe glass. About an inch of creamy cream-colored head that did not last long. Aroma is bready, caramel with fruity notes of figs, dates, and a hint of banana and vanilla. Taste is quite sweet, but is cut by the high alcohol level. Alcohol is apparent, but not unwelcome. A bit of spicy earthiness from the hops. Smooth medium-bodied mouthfeel and tingly carbonation. Nice alcohol warming and fruity aftertaste. A bit sweeter than I normally like, but overall I liked this!

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Picked up in 2015 and aged for another six months. Poured into a Dogfish Head 120 glass leaving the last 1" of swill in the bottle.

Color is a nice copper with a medium to large head. Scent is subtly malt. Taste is quite simple and clean- Belgian malt, spices, and yeast. It reminds me of a Leffe. Ok, but not nearly as good as I remember. Very subtle compared to the Trappists I've had more recently.

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: coppery brown. Head disappeared almost immediately and lacing soon thereafter.
Smell: Has a sweet, yeasty aroma and is reminiscent of the banana and spices in a hefe. Also kinda fruity smelling.
Taste: Strong malt presence with banana, dark fruit, sweet caramel, and yeast.
Feel: medium-thick bodied, low carbonation. Smooth.
Overall: tasty and definitely sweet. If it weren't so pricy I'd definitely get it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

Unfortunately they do not sell the cool glass thing at my local Paris shop, so it loses a a point for look...

This is a bit unfair for my Kwak, I admit.

Still, the head is fairly good and deep colour.

Nice fruity aroma, quite tingly.

Taste is fairly heavy, malty, with orange peel, red current, coriander and lemon peel coming through. It's a bit too heavy feeling in my opinion, not easy to drink lots of. If it was a bit more frothy and bitter or fruity, it would be better.

I have often bought this in Belgian beer cafés, for the glass. Though as a beer, it's not the best. It's too malty, not enough hops, fruitiness, complexity.

Once I wanted to buy the glass at one of the London Belgo's, though they were not for sale. So I gave the Spanish barmaid about a £15 tip and she let me steal one.

The best option is to steal the glass from somewhere like me, and use it for a Piraat, Chimay, Rochefort or your favourite alternative

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed in "Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium", this awaits my review with another tasting.
Reviewed in Roger Protz' CAMRA classic "300 Beers To Try Before You Die!"
It also is reviewed on the "1001."

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

It's a good beer, an okay have reviewed the 'Bros" (founders of BA) which seem a bit harsh imo. I'd have this one again and again, but yes there are better Belgian Strong Pale Ale out there. Cheers

3.79/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750 cork and cage into a snifter, the beer is a vibrant, slightly hazed, copper caramel coloring, with a filmy, sparse surface coating of off-white head. Solid flow of carbonation throughout the body, too. Nose of tangy caramel and an old world fruit blend of apple, date, and fig. Flavors are rich and sweet forward, heavily roasted on a caramel backbone. Solid notes of apple, fig, and hints of vanilla. Very rich and sweet, with earthy highlights to rough up the edges a bit. The body is bold, slick, and smooth, with a fruity and sweet aftertaste. The finish is smooth, slick, and surprisingly clean, with only a slight cloying linger. Solid beer.

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

A: The body is copper with a weak, non-lacing, white head.
S: The aroma has a hoppy profile with a sweet tone.
T: For a BPLA, this is a very sweet beer. Actually, I look back and find it too sweet. Yet, it's great how it balances the sweetness and the small hop profile to a balanced beer. Nice one.
M: Very foamy, mellow, soft. In other words, very well carbonated. To refer that I've been drinking this beer for 40min and it's still doing pretty great.
O: It took me long to get to this beer. I don't know why, but I've been avoiding this beer since I first saw it. Even being a regular to good beer in my standards, I'll probably not revisit this beer although I'd definitely recommend this beer for entry levels.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a beautiful clear brownish, golden colored body with a thin white head that was reduced to almost nothing within the minute. Very little lacing.

Smell: Sweet and spicy smell. Quite different from other Belgian beers I've had.

Taste: Very spicy and mild. Somewhat sweet and it's hiding the alcohol very well. Sweet and a bit bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very light and refreshing with low carbonation.

Overall: An interesting surprise. Not a favorite but a very spicy and different beer.

4.05/5  rDev +8%

L: Reddish brown beer, minimal head retention with what appears to be mild carbonation. Little to no head.
S: Really enjoyable. Very sweet first and foremost. Malt lends a sort of dark fruit characteristic, much like grape and apricot. Has an almost wine-like aroma.
T: First, taste is very well balanced. Despite having a sweet aroma it is not overly so. There is also a touch of bitterness as well. You also get the dark fruit notes from the aroma though they are milder on the palate, also detected a bit of caramel-apple in there as well. Not overly complex but good.
F: Very light and crisp. Definitely a refreshing beer, never gets too heavy or overwhelming, not too much astringency from bitterness.
O: I really like this beer, surprised other ratings were so low. I've had other Belgian pales before as well, for some reason just really enjoyed this one. Absolutely will purchase again.

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L:reddish copper color. Very small head that almost disapear imediatelly after I pour it inn the glass.
S:yeast . banana. spices,dark fruits ,caramel is what comes my mind
T: First mouthful gives me a taste of dark fruits and a hint of caramel and spices. The aftertaste is quite sweet.
F: medium bodied with low carbonation. The alcohol content felt lower than 8,4%, the beer went down quite smooth
O: it was interesting to try this beer considering that I was very impressed when I drank the triple Karmeliet. This one is absolutelly a good beer but a little to sweet for my taste to give it a top score.but is not a bad beer at all. Is just that is so much belgian beers that are better

3.86/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this in one of those cool big test tube looking glasses and placed in that wooden stand. The bartender told me about the interesting history regarding the origin of this custom. (It was for coachmen traveling by Pauwel Kwak's inn) It poured a caramel/amber color with a big foam head. The lace was creamy like a cappuccino.
The aroma is predominantly sweet. At first I detected orange peel, followed by caramel. Later there is a hint of biscuit and even some floral tones.
The feel is pretty smooth with low carbonation. The taste and finish are quite sweet and a tiny bit on the cloying side. There is some alcohol as well.
I like this brew overall despite the fact that the taste was a tad too sweet for me and detracted from the score slightly.

4.28/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Slight scent of cherry on the nose. The head disappears within a few minutes after the pour. The beer is relatively light bodied with marked effervescence. Malt and cherry tastes come through with a slight tartness.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful reddish copper that turns amber when held up to the light. Almost no head; moderate lacing. Quite fruity, almost tastes more like a Scottish Ale than a Belgian. Very smooth; I had a hard time believing that it's 8.4%. Overall: Very delicious; I can see myself making this my go-to beer for easy drinking.

4.23/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a big tulip glass from a 33 cl bottle.
-Opaque of reddish colour.
-Strong smell
-The taste is very good. At some point it remind to cookie flavour.
-Mouthfeel is bitter but I like it a lot.
I think it's a very very good beer.

4.71/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pulled from the kegerator at work into a compostable plastic cup made in the good ol' U.S. of A. I love my job. Paired with some whole wheat crackers from the microkitchen.

Look: This beer was like 90% head when I poured it. It slowly settled down to reveal a deep reddish amber color underneath a thick foamy head. A little hazy with a few chunky particles floating around. Not sure if that's intended.

Smell: Sweet biscuity malt backbone, with a nice fruity yeast complement. Classic Belgian ale notes. Smells really great.

Taste: Unexpected taste of dark fruit, maybe plum or cherry. A bit of holiday spices. Incredibly drinkable for the ABV. I would have guessed this is more like 5% ABV. I could guzzle this. Just the right balance of maltiness, sweetness, and a touch of hoppy bitterness.

Feel: Goes down really smooth, just the right thickness. Low to medium carbonation, which is surprising given how big the head was.

Overall: Seriously delicious. An outstanding and underrated Belgian ale, in my opinion.

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From a 33cl bottle, in Madrid.

I've been to Belgium, seen the fuss in the bars over Kwak, but never drank it there. I guess I was expecting something remarkable, and I was disappointed.

The beer looks fine, smells and tastes very much of ripe bananas. And more bananas. And more bananas. It's pretty fizzy.

It's certainly an OK beer, but not on the same level as many of the Belgians that I've had.

Less than 2 Euros for a bottle here in Madrid, so that's not bad!

3.84/5  rDev +2.4%

On draft at Nobi Public House. What a nice copper colir you are. Lighter than a new penny, but just barely. Was surprised by the booze in the nose, but none of that comes through when it hits the mouth. Pleasant and unchallenging. A good Thursday beer to enjoy before a final nightcap.

4.89/5  rDev +30.4%

Look : Poured into a Propolis tulip. Very dark orange, nearly opaque. Multiple streams of carbonation, floaters abound. White head disappeared nearly instantly.

Smell : Dark fruits, banana, bubblegum, pear, a note of caramel, and lots of spicieness (clove definitely, not too sure for what else).

Taste : Bubblegum, tons of spicieness again, some dark fruits, and a hint of caramel.

Feel : Highly carbonated, creamy, medium body. Slight sweetness, and a bit boozy.

Poured with a nice thick luscious cream-colored head that settled after a bit, a little lace and a slightly hazy copper color. Aroma is sort of like caramel sticky buns. I remember from years ago this beer had notes of anise in the flavor, but I don't get that now. Sweet up front with some bitter in the finish. Nice body. Good sipping beer

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

The beer comes in a clear amber color.

The beer offers sugary and almost caramel sweetness up front, some breadiness, sweet banana, lots of crushed pepper, clove, lively carbonation. Spice drives this beer, while still drying it out on the finish. Phenolic notes come through with hints of plastic and nail polish.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sweet golden Belgian strong ale.

Taste of honey and rye. Banana as well.

Quite heavily carbonated. Dark golden color.
Sweet aromas, with hints of whiskey.

Decent sweet ale, with some ABV. Not a game-changer, but a good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had it from tap.
L: Clear brown with a lot of bubbles and 1 finger tall head.
S: Smell is amazing. Grapefruit, dried banana and strawberry jam.
T: The same as smell, too sweet for me, slightly bitter finish.
F: Medium-bodied and crispy.
O: Too sweet as mentiond but the smell is magical.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

From bottle, Pours a slightly hazy caramel copper with a one finger head that thins out to a ring. Aroma has deep notes of candy sugar, bubblegum, spice, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, slight citrus, and a touch of pepper. Taste is balanced but a touch sweet. Dark sugar, caramel, bubblegum, slight warming in the finish.

Pauwel Kwak from Brouwerij Bosteels