Pauwel Kwak | Brouwerij Bosteels

Added by kbub6f on 06-30-2001

Ratings: 1,760 |  Reviews: 715

1.4/5  rDev -62.7%

Reviewed 08-25-04
12 oz. bottle, no date, 8% abv listed. Damn thing gushed on me right here at my computer desk.
Aroma 4.5: Nice Belgian nose; smells more like a Strong Dark, ripe grapes and pears, mild spices.
Appearance 3: A rosy amber body with a very thin cover and a collar of off white. The lace was impressive given the tiny head. No clumps noted.
Flavor 3.5: Vinous, very wine like with grape flavors in the forefront. It has some mild vanilla and clove, presumably from the yeast. Overall rather sweet, I can’t pick out any hop flavors.
Mouthfeel 4: Medium body with a strong alcohol prickle. Smooth with a nice carbonation level.
Overall Impression 2: Enjoyable. My socks are still on, but the alcohol hasn’t really kicked in yet. Still mad about the gushing, I treated it well, had sat in my fridge for over a week. Drinkability? Well, I’m enjoying this glass, but I can’t see doing another given the alcohol level. I’m also not seeing myself crave this to the point of getting another any time soon. Glad I came, but, been here, drank that, have the stain in my carpet to show for it.

Re-reviewed 02-14-06
750 ml bottle, best by 01-01-07.
Aroma 2: Smells like wet cork, and not in a good way
Appearance 1: Large corn flake white protein chunks filled the glass after a gentle pour and careful handling
Flavor 2: Lifeless wood and sweet wort
Mouthfeel 1: Chunky style
Overall Impression 1: I may have gotten a bad bottle, but a quick survey on the main beer page shows that this is far too common to just let go.

I spent good money on this beer only to drain pour it.
Kwak, you're dead to me.

1.6/5  rDev -57.3%

This is the most effort I've ever put into finishing a beer that wasn't something from the Budwiser/Genny macrobrew family. Ouch. The color and the nose will fool you. It smells passable and appears as it should, compared to the genre. At taste, it is painfully sweet, an utter lack of balance. there's noting here but malt and sugar. I tried to pass this on to my sugar-addicted girlfriend and she was repulsed by it. It is a recent bottling according to the label.

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

Kwak would be a good Scrabble word

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

1.83/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i got this in the boxset with the mini yard and wood handle.

A- honey color but there are chuncks of sediment. off colour head

S- aromatic,

T- not much bitterness, velvety

m- Feels okay, bit of carbonation, higher alcohol

d- Starts out okay, but the fruity taste is a bit over powering, so im definitely not going to drink more than one at a time. and probably wont by it again.

1.97/5  rDev -47.5%

I like real beer. Drinks made with cereal grains, and/or sugars not totally derived from barely deserve their own categories, like mead, wine coolers, hard cider. Accepting this as beer is like letting Lance Amstrong go unchallenged. I just had this beer, and I would otherwise give it a good rating as having nice malty flavor, sweet and noticably boosted alcohol, if there were a sugary drink category for it.

2.12/5  rDev -43.5%

Drank the beer in the original glass. The Kwak has a nice amberlike colour with a nice and firm head. Smelling strong caramel. It's not my kind of beer but what the he..! There is not much more to say about this beer. Though the appearance is good the rest is waste of time.

2.15/5  rDev -42.7%

Being a belgian beer i made sure to quit pouring it when i saw floating particles try and enter my glass. Poured with a very thin head which dissipated quickly. Color was a deep amber but not to the point of redness. Aroma was a sweetness punctuated by a few esters but not very much. Taste was very thin with sweetness and a slight hoppiness and again few esters. Carmelly yet dry due to esters but with a bitter hoppiness with a very clean finish. Overall i would rather try a different Belgian beer instead so i can find a brand more indicitave of the style.

2.23/5  rDev -40.5%

A: amber colored, a little head and lacing.

S: juicy juice, malt, a little bit of bubble gum and fruit.

T: weird tastes, phenols, strong taste of alcohol, sweet bubble gummy Belgian yeast flavor. Alcohol too strong and overpowering.

M: thick and burning. Mild carbonation.

D: maybe one of the worst Belgians I've ever had, too much alcohol, too little taste.

2.25/5  rDev -40%

A= pours a caramelly brownish color similar to coca cola looking. The head is a nice two fingers and appears to be a just off white color. Nice retention and lacing on this one as well.

S= Strangly this smells like regular beer to me. Smells a lot like a macro lager. There is a slight caramelly malt sweetness coming through but other than that it's just macro beer smell to it. If you dig real deep you can smell some belgian spicyness to the yeast.

T= Luckily much more different than the smell. Really tastes sweet. Has a sugar water property to it I think. I do taste the macro lager aspect that I smelled but then it tastes like sugar water was added to that. Little Belgian spicyness from the yeast is noticable but it is there and there is a certain warming aspect from the alcohol in it. Mostly just really sugary sweet.

M= Low carbonation and sweet sticky cloyingness to it.

D= I expected a lot more from this beer. To me it tastes like sugar water. I don't understand this one at all. Not recommended to anyone unless you like macro lagers with sugar.

2.27/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

Appearance: brown red body, opaque, with little head but a stupifying amount of floaties. I have never seen floaties like this. Not even in the Fantome products.
Aroma: Malt and dried fruit.
Taste: dull malt flavor with dull dried mango.
Mouthfeel: Medium body a dull fizzyness.
D - Though I drank it 5 months before the expiration date, this was a flabby pathetic beer. Nothing like the tastey brew I have known this to be.

2.29/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured a nice clear light brown with 1/2 inch of head into my Duvel tulip. The head dissipated almost immediately.

The smell was inviting. Lots of spice and caramelly boozyness.

I let the beer warm up to near room temp but the whole time I was bothered by how watery it finished. Even at room temp, the most it got was some water followed by some faint malty caramel booze taste and finished water.

I simply can't recommend this beer to anyone. There are many better beers out there especially Belgians.

2.37/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours clear deep reddish-coppery to amber body capped by beige head that quickly dissipates. When compared to other representatives of the style known for characteristic thick persistent head, Kwak presents very poorly. The nose is apple and banana esters, caramel sweetness, bready malt and quite noticeable alcohol. The beer tastes like oxidized apple slices powdered with sugar, with mild spiciness and evident alcohol that helps to counterbalance the sweetness. There's a minor amount of bitterness that seems phenolic rather than
hop-derived and which in synergy with carbonation lends surprisingly (considering the overall sweetness) dry finish.

In short: overly sweet mediocre brew with emphasis on esters and alcohol. (BB 13. March 2013, 750 ml, into tulip)

2.39/5  rDev -36.3%

I was visiting Hong Kong after a long couple of months on the Mainland, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on some real beer. I found a great little shop in SoHo, right off the escalator, called "Euro Treat." They seemed to have more American stuff than European (Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Sierra Nevada PAs, etc.), but I saw a 75cl bottle of Kawk's standing alone alongside a shelf full of Duvel, and figured, what the hell.

Wish I had gone with Duvel.

When you begin your pour, it all begins very promisingly: a cloudy amber-brown, a steady stream of carbonation with a lasting head and some minor lacing. It looks really great, warm, and inviting. But things tend to go downhill from there.

The smell was sugary, unremarkable, and dull. Some fruit that was there at first but disappeared in the dull overpowering sugar-stench. I wanted to like it, I wanted something to kick my nose in the ass after months of Tsing Tao and San Miguel ... alas, this failed to deliver.

The taste was a blunt upfront sweetness, overwhelming and just too candied in the mouth. You can't enjoy the spicy lingering because things are just too sugary, the bite is lost or at least subdued. A little alcohol on the finish just as you get a taste for a citrus suggestion, but again the false sugary bombast wafts up and ruins it. This beer is just too sweet, for me at least.

As for drinkability? No thanks. It was a struggle to get through this 75cl bottle.

Pauwel Kwak from Brouwerij Bosteels