Pauwel Kwak | Brouwerij Bosteels

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by kbub6f on 06-30-2001

Ratings: 1,747 |  Reviews: 712
3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle dated 05-10-2014 poured into a wine glass. Didn't have any goofy glasses hanging around to pour it in.

The beer forms some slightly off white head that fizzles away promptly and a clear orange body.

The alcohol is perceptible and comes across a little medicinal. At juts 8% it is a little much and doesn't blend the best with the flavors and aromas. Lots of sweetness, bread, and sweeter red berry notes.

The body is thin-medium. Some tingly carbonation.

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I have seen this bottle time and time again, but have no idea what it tastes like. I have always been hesitant to buy this because of the price and the size of the bottle. For $4.99, this better be good! But it's not the beer that I remember, it's the glass. Glassware is SO important when it comes to enjoying craft beer, but they admit their glass is all about marketing. We don't have a lot of different glasses here, but I always like to use one with a wide mouth. I like sticking my nose deep in the glass and letting the beer breathe a little.

I like Belgian beers, so I am excited to experience Kwak. (Duck?) Ha!

In the Glass: The beer is a little darker than most pale ales, but this is a Belgian pale. Just think of what a Belgian IPA tastes like… nothing like an American IPA. I honestly can't recall the last Belgian pale I had… but I just keep going back to the name. The label on this bottle is pretty cool, too. Maybe I should start discussing the label (or bottle) for every beer we drink. I already do what the bottle says… I will think on that.

Nose: Just like with a Belgian IPA, there are no hops on the nose. I mean, NOTHING. The aroma is somewhat sweet, with a nice fluffy and yeasty aroma. More yeast than expected, that's for sure. It is cold, so maybe the aroma will develop as the beer heats up. But it smells fun… if that makes sense. Let's drink Kwak!

Flavor: The flavor, at first, is boring. There is nothing on the front of the palate. Then the bubbles kick in, some subtle sweetness picks up toward the back of the palate, and the finish is quick. How is this beer popular? This beer is boring! It is too carbonated for my liking. As I swish this around to get more from the flavor, and to heat the beer up a little, some additional flavors come out. The bubbles are overwhelming when I do this, but some typical Belgian characteristics begin to become obvious. Still, even when swishing it around, I am not impressed with the overall flavor.

Mouthfeel: The first thing you experience are bubbles. Then you get some sweetness going on, leading to a horrible finish. Only when I toss this around in my mouth is there a lasting aftertaste, but by lasting I mean here and gone again in a matter of seconds. Just drinking this, you might as well be drinking Bud Light. Yeah, I said it! I wouldn't order a Bud Light, but I also wouldn't pay $4.99 for a bottle of this again.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? There really isn't one. What does linger is a subtle dryness… almost tastes like cardboard. I am sure this would be a good beer to pair with food, maybe some old stinky cheeses, but this is not something I am going to order when hanging out with friends.

Kwak, I am sad you aren't better than this. Maybe it's because I didn't drink from the traditional Kwak glass. I will post a photo of the Kwak glass on Facebook and Twitter if you want to see what that looks like. Oh well… can't enjoy them all! By the way, if Brouwerij Bosteels wants to reimburse me, that would be fine.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From a gift box set...12 oz bottles...ready to go. poured in the 1/4 yard.
Giant head...could be awhile before you get a sip if you don't pour right!
Copper color...giant head in the quarter yard.
Aroma of sour and sweet malts.
Flavors of rich malt, amber malts, butterscotch, toasty malts, Italian bread, cocoa...if I could just get through the giant head on this 1/4 yard glass to the beer...
OK...I'll admit, I first had this brew around 1980...it was different then. I've had it at least 40 times. Times change, our taste change, and brewery ownership and direction change. I'm trying to hold this drinking contraption and fully judge the taste. Melons, lemon rind, amber malts, subtle caramel malts, cola, caramel.
I've always considered this a very good bier, especially memorable if you use the proper glass.

4.21/5  rDev +12.3%

@Todd of the Alström Bros. There is more to it then just the "mini-yard glass with a wooden holder" why people drink it. There is quite a bit of history there. In the old days they used these glasses on the coach, where normal glasses were impracticable. So they used the "wooden holders / hooks" to keep the beer during their bumpy journey.

Also it just looks cool and original.

Anyway, i think it's just a very tasty beer, like so many of my friends who love it even more. It's sweet, but also has a sour yeastiness to it giving it more balance and complexity. Together with a very mild bitter finish with fruits and malts it's just a very refreshing and easy to drink beer.

Pauwel Kwak from Brouwerij Bosteels