Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Ratings: 4,121 |  Reviews: 1,331
4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a oversized wine glass. Batch number 05 K K.

A: Very large head, pure white and frothy, good retention, which is constantly aided by the extremely active streamers that never quite let the head fall too short. The body is a hazy yet radiant and rich straw yellow color. Spotty lace.

S: The aroma from my bottle is intensely phenolic with peppery, slightly plasticky and/or rubbery aromas dominating all else. There is a definite yeasty contribution with mildly grassy and herbal hops. Pilsner malts? I get spicy and fruity esters on the nose, but this is not the showcased aroma.

T: Following the nose, except now the fruity notes are thankfully much more present. I would love to increase the rating here, but the truth is, I've had much better tasting Tripels over the years.

M: The mouthfeel is through the roof of your mouth, feel me? Super lively and active carbonation, prickling every tastebud on the tongue. I love this intense stimulation, but some may prefer to give their glass a few heavy swirls. Medium body.

D: Drinkability is good but not so good that it inspired any sort of creativity in my description here. Solid brew.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet Tulip (my go to tulip for many beers). A bright, but hazy yellow beer, capped with a finger of frothy snow white head. A ton of carbonation can be seen through the glass, sustaining the dense head for a good long while. When you think of a tripel, this looks pretty much like what you should expect.

Pretty typical nose for a tripel, spicy and fruity, accompanying a yeasty bread scent. Some tropical fruit, banana and mango in there, with a feint citrus note.

Taste follows the nose nicely, with the spice upfront in the form of coriander, with the fruitiness finishing the beer dry. The fairly high ABV is hidden very well.

The best part of drinking the beer is the mouthfeel. Medium bodied beer combined with very active and tight carbonation combines to create an exceptionally creamy beer. Really delicious beer that's smooth and easy to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

a massive three figer head with the consistency of dish soap bubbles sits atop a crystal clear golden straw colored body. even though the head eventually dies down, you can still see hundreds of bubbles rise to the top to hold the foam cap together. my nose is greeted with hints of spicy yeast, banannas, wheat and oats to produce a wonderful bread aroma. i can taste a definate wheat bread body with a mellow bananna flavor and a spicy dry finish. mouthfeel is light and airy at first thanks to the nice balance of carbonation. then it becomes heavier as the grains and yeast form a bready body and finishes with a long dry spice finish.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not sure I've had enough experience w/ tripels yet to really comment/review, but ignorance and prudence never went hand in hand anyway, so here we go! Pretty thing, gigantic white foam erupting from the glass -- actually had to pour in stages to get it to settle down. Ginormous nose, redolent of banana, sure, but other fruits as well, various citrus, pear, etc, along with a healthy helping of spicy yeast. Palate displays many of the same characteristics with a little honey sweetness and leaving a slight boozy tingle on the lips. Nice mouthfeel, light and airy enough to easily belie the 8% ABV. This is a really solid tripel that I don't think you'd ever be sorry to order/buy.

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

direct from distributor in beijing (vandergeeten)

330ml brown bottle. no importer's label, but brewer's label has "best by" date of june 24, 2010. poured into tulip.

clear, golden straw color. decent head, but soon fades to wisps and ring. no lacing.

fruity esters with pear, white grape and peach, plus very faint hint of tropical, between banana and canned pineapple juice. some biscuity malt underneath and a trace of hop herbal/hay notes. licorice and spice notes are faint and mix with the phenols at the end.

flavors are fruit again (more grape and pear), but slightly watered down. some bready and yeasty notes as foundation. but from the middle onwards, the grassy hop bitterness crescendos with somewhat annoying phenols, and into finish, with just traces of the previous fruitiness.

not too thin, but hints of being watery. carbonation is lively but doesn't compensate entirely.

not horrible, but maybe it's just me. i've realized over the past half year or so that i just don't like all the medicinal phenols in many of the classic belgian tripels and blondes. not all of them, of course, since for example achel blond and st. bernadus tripel are amongst my favorite tripels. anyway, i kind of regret getting a whole case of these here in beijing, when i could have gotten something else (like more achel!)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured to a hazy golden-orange, with lots of carbonation that almost poured over the top of the glass. Snow-white head was thick and pillowy, and lingered through the entire drink, and reduced to excellent lacing up and down the glass. Aroma was a very pleasant blend of floral hops and spices, mostly clove and corriander. Taste was more of the same spices and floral hops, reminded me a lot of Duvel at this stage. Very long smooth finish topped this beer off. The only thing I noticed was that the alcohol became a little to evident at late glass, and I would recommend not letting the beer warm all the way. But a most delicious beer.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Beer is a medium straw color and just slightly cloudy. The head is mad of medium sized off-white bubbles and quickly fades to a ring around the glass. It could pass in appearance for an American Wheat just as easily as a Tripel.

S - The aroma is a fresh-smelling mix of lemon zest and floral hops. The malt doesn't really make its presence known in the aroma, but the oats and wheat are there in the background. The final note is an herbal, spicy one.

T - The taste is initially herbal and lemony. In the mid-palate I get some malt, wheat and oats, along with floral hops. The aftertaste is dry but includes earthy herbs I can't identify. Everything is clean and fresh tasting.

M - The body is moderate. There is a bit of carbonic bite from the carbonation. The hop bitterness is moderate, but higher than typical for a tripel. The alcohol is not apparent.

D - The overall experience is bright, fresh and clean. This is an older bottle and I have had even more tasty, presumably fresher, examples in Belgium. One of my favorite beers because of its swirling, complex flavors that still maintain balance, brightness and drinkability.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer pours out with more bubbles than I have ever seen. The head is fabulous. Nice clear bright gold and oh so many bubbles.

The nose is grain and fruit

Taste is really pleasant. Fruits and hops. Apples and a hint of citrus.

Mouthfeel is not overly bubbly even though this stuff bubbles forever. Very true to what I call a triple. Clean and refreshing. This is one of the best. Very drinkable. A fine beer.

2.87/5  rDev -32.3%

I have not found a brew that I have enjoyed in this style as of yet. I was recommended by a beer store employee that if I don't like this particular tripel, then maybe I just don't like the style. So I bought it to give tripels another try. 11.2oz bottle...

A: Super carbonated bubbles forcing their way to the surface consistently. Veyr light golden color with a thick 2 inch white head that doesn't fades very quickly at all. Holds steady for a while. Very good.

S: Has kind of a bud light scent blended with some strong wheat and oat scents. Ok.

T: I think here's the problem with this style for me. This style's flavor tastes, to me, like a higher end bud light. It has some of the same flavors that a Bud light does. This follows that for me. It has some nice tartness, wheat, and oat that shine through which separate it from msomething like a Bud, but the Bud characteristics are still in it. Guess it's just the style I do not like.

M: Very light. Does not leave many flavors on the palate. Ok.

D: Goes down super easy despite the higher ABV. Very good!

All in all, I figure I just do not like the style. Everything I have tried for Tripels has disappointed me. I hated La Fin Du Monde which so many people love and has a high rating on BA. I have not found any Tripel that I actually enjoyed. So, this just not be my style. If you do not like Tripels than avoid. Otherwise, give this brew a chance for you.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Pungent straps of flint, orange juice, cream and steel emerge from this sweaty broth. It is a giant, molten elixir of untamed wild flavors: nettles, calves bones, sugar syrup, citrus, soft-ripened cheese...
I gave this enthusiastic 4.5+ marks at the end of a marathon tasting last week. Now that I try it again I wonder if this is a case of bottle variation (the former notes from 750ml - this time from a 12 oz.) or beer-judging fatigue. The latter always seems to favor extreme, alcoholic and sweet styles like this.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%