Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

#600

Ratings: 4,166 |  Reviews: 1,340

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Tripel Karmeliet... I chose to drink out of a snifter at cellar temperature. I like the sort of medieval, rustic-looking label. Heh.

The three-finger head on this beauty doesn't last particularly long, but at first when I was pouring, let me tell you, it was an unstoppable fizzy force. Color-wise, the head is pure white and the beer is a vibrant liquid gold.

The aroma is like a fragrant perfume. It's floral - like, actually VERY similar to flowers, and has a delightful mix of fruity scents interwoven throughout the bouquet (wow, sounding snobbish, here). I definitely get some citrus, but also probably green apples, mango, and maybe even pineapple! And of course, this being a Belgian beer, their is also a bready note underneath everything. An amazing aroma.

Oh my. I wasn't quite prepared for such a flavor. I mean... WOWSA. Tart (but not too tart) apple and citrus fruitiness balanced with an abundance of profoundly sweet (but not too sweet), malty breadiness. It's got a satisfying, lingering finish with the bready taste, accompanied by slightly bitter hoppiness as the fruitiness sort of dries up. Sensational.

The feel is perfection. This is an effervescent ale, but when it hits my tongue and I'm prepared for the bite of high carbonation, it instead just kind of melts in my mouth. Yup. It's not just food that can do that. This tripel does it too. How can a liquid "melt?" I don't know.

A marvelous beer, brewed with authentic, traditional Belgian style. That's what this is.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels