Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Reviews: 1,318 | Ratings: 4,070
4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Blond style with relatively clear but slightly foggy countenance.

S: Sweet smelling oats, almost fruity.

T: Powerful barley taste mixed with wheat, oats are harder to detect than on the smell for some reason.

M: Amazing mouthfeel that is very pleasant to role over the tongue. A goot mix of the predominant ingredients: wheat, oat, and barley.

Overall a truly astounding beer. I have tasted a few Belgen beers before but this surmounts them all by far.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Enjoyed this beer at Tria in Philadelphia.

Beautiful gold color. Reminds me of honey. Aroma is intense and nice. Hard to describe.

Taste reminds me of honey. Again, like a mead. Like the sweetness was fermented out. Brett mixed in. The two components mesh incredibly well.

Food note: I had some Humboldt Fog cheese with honey with this beer. Quite good together. The honey tastes hook into each other, but the sweetness in the honey provides a contrast in those two "honey" tastes as well.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Light yellow body with slight haze. Thick white head of foam with lots of carbonation.

S - Very complex spicy phenols. Moderate fruity esters including banana, clove, and lemon. Light malt character. No hop presence detected.

T - Spicy, fruity characters at first. Low to moderate phenols, definitely peppery. Some lemon citrus esters present. Ending bitterness is mild, with welcomed presence of yeasty grain character.

M - Medium/light mouthfeel. High levels of co2 create welcomed bubbles across your tongue. Very light warming from ABV, but almost unnoticable.

D - Very smooth, refreshing Tripel. Complex palate of esters will keep interest levels.

---

Wow! I was not expecting this beer to be this exceptional. I'll definitely be back for more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: Crisp nose with caramel, cloves, and floral notes

Appearance: Golden color, full creamy head.

Taste: Light, clove-y, floral, esters. Slightly fruity

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, champagne-like carbonation. Sharp finish.

Overall, an excellent beer. One of my favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Light hazy golden yellow body that pours with a 3 finger creamy white head. Head slowly fades to 1/2 finger. Decent head retention. In the end a thick collar is all that remains of the beautiful head. Plenty of lacing left behind in the glass. Body is translucent with a nice haziness all around and tiny bubbles constantly rising to the top.

S- Sweet, Spicy, and Bready. Lots of spicy yeast with a dry, fruity balance of pears, apples, and citrus.

T- Citrus, pears, and apples upfront with a bready/spicy yeast background. A slight sweetness emerges with the initial taste. The finish adds a touch of hop flavor to compliment the dry fruitiness. What lingers is a big spicy and sweet bready yeast taste along with a hint of alcohol bitterness.

M- Light carbonation and light body. Very smooth and creamy from the yeast.

D- This is a wonderful Tripel. At 8% ABV it has a slightly lower alcohol content then most. ABV is also very well hidden here which makes it all the more drinkable. Aside from that this brew is light, crisp, complex, and very tasty. Something that I will definitely pick up again

I used this beer as the toasting champagne at my wedding!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Murky amber color, like apple juice. Thick 1 inch head that disappears quickly. Tiny bubbles.

S - Citrus, sourness, malt, and apples.

T - Wheat, citrus, with a sweet finish. Not really bitter.

M - Very thick, not much burn.

O - Citrusy sweet without the bitterness or burn. Very enjoyable.

My goodness what a brew

Pours a murky orange gold with a giant fluffy white head, leaves impressive lacing, the head begins to settle, when it reaches about 1cm it stays there for the duration

Fresh malts up front with honey, cloves, cardimon, cardimon, pear and orange peel

The taste follows the nose with a faint spirity taste and some belgian pepper there is also almost a buttery flavor aswell, fantastic

Crisp and surprisingly creamy for the style

This is an absolutely exceptional beer, the best tripel I have ever had bar none

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

What a wonderful Tripel...I've been on a good streak this week! This one is a beautiful light golden color with a full 2 finger head...There is nice lacing as well... The first thing that hits you is the oats and barley (in the nose and mouth)....and then the sweet fruitness. Bananas and mellow citrus notes, followed by a little zing of spiciness. The yeast here is distinctly Belgian and the carbonation is at the proper sizzle... Very impressed, as I should be, as this ale won a Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup in its category (which is proudly displayed on the back of the bottle). Fantastic!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just drank this last night in celebration of my new job, and I decided to take some notes.

Poured from a 25.4 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Much more pale than I was expecting, the color was a cloudy blonde, with yeast particles still settling from the bottle conditioning. The three-finger head quickly settled to a clingy lace.

The smell of this beer is reason enough to drink it. A rush of fruits, including apricot, lemon, and what almost seemed like strawberry, are most prominent. A buttery scent accompanies it, the product of whatever yeast is being used in this bottle. All the adjectives in the world won't do any justice to the aromas of this brew, so I'll stop trying and get on to the taste.

Like the nose, the taste is first rate, a rarity in that it is both complex and satisfying. There was very little carbonation in my bottle, which left plenty of room for the flavors to breathe. The alcohol is hidden beneath a buttery oakiness that is most reminiscent of a chardonnay. The bottle says that oats were used in the brewing, and they help to keep the honey-like sweetness just subdued enough to not be cloying. The beer finishes with a gentle wash of lemon-pepper and spiciness. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes somewhat more present, but not distractingly so.

The buttery notes from the nose and flavor also lend themselves to the texture of this beer, smoothing out any edges. It's very full, without being too syrupy or heavy, which would ruin a beer of this style.

Simply put, I spent about two hours on my one bottle, not because it was difficult to drink, but to savor it. Again, this is one of the beautifully balanced beers I've tasted. It's rich and complex, and had there been more, I'm not sure I could have prevented myself from drinking it.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

One of me personal favourites

Pours a golden brew with a big attractive head that stays put for some time and later changes into a foamy layer. Nice retention. Beautiful.
The aroma is is filled with spices, floral notes and citrus fruits.
The taste is delicious. Spicy, complex with coriander, lots of fruits and some notes of alcohol. Delicious!
Mouthfeel is once again excellent. The beer is well carbonated and goes down very smoothly.

Very refreshing, but with a kick. I've had this one several times and it managed to amaze me time after time. A most excellent beer.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

330 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before Nov 18 2016 and served at cellar temperature.

Pours a bright, clear golden-yellow colour, producing two fingers of fluffy, resilient, sparkling-white head. It seeps away slowly over the next five minutes or so, coating the glass with a layer of lace as it is gradually reduced to a foamy cap and collar. I am getting an interesting blend of fruits on the nose - red apple, pear and banana, with hints of apricot and white grape. Grainy, bready malts, grassy hay and lemony citrus also come through, as well as some spicy clove and yeastiness.

This is an outstanding tripel. Bready malts, grains and sugary sweetness blend beautifully with notes of lemon zest and banana. Orchard fruits - apricot, apple and pear - are also detectable, with the profile taking a spicy turn near the finish. Notes of grassy hay, clove, pepper and lemon pith tie things up nicely, with the alcohol content being borderline noticeable. Extremely effervescent, with absurdly lively carbonation that causes the beer to froth up in the mouth, giving this tripel a very silky-smooth mouthfeel. Between the aggressive carbonation, spicy finish and touch of ethanol heat, this one seems to have an almost tongue-numbing quality to it.

Tripel Karmeliet is a fantastic example of one of my favourite Belgian beer styles, and I am glad I had the wherewithal to pick up a second bottle for cellaring purposes. This should be considered a definite must-try for fans of the style, as well as for Belgian abbey-style beer fans in general - the mouthfeel is just exquisite, and the complex flavour profile is sure to raise a few eyebrows. One of the best examples of this style that I've yet imbibed, and something that I wish I could buy year-round - the perfect beer to celebrate my 1000th tick with.

[Updated Mar 10 2017]

Another bottle, that '2nd' mentioned in my original review from two years ago. Cellared ever since, it's now four months past its purported prime, but it's still drinking like a dream - and lucky for me, some fresh stock has just showed up! In fact, that was my main reason for 'disposing' of this bottle in my typical environmentally-friendly fashion. I love tripels, but Karmeliet remains my favourite of all. I'll be buying more than two this time, that's for sure.

Final Grade: 4.70, an unbelievable A+.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting triple. Sharing the 750ml bottle was perfect. The bartender poured it poorly and had 2 inches of head. After I couldn't wait any longer to try it, I took a mouthful of foam and then got to the delicious beer.
Great taste rolling around in the mouth followed by a very enjoyable finish.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy golden-yellow with a big frothy head, served in a Duvel tulip. Sweet, yeasty aroma. Taste is incredible! Sweet, malty, spicy; a tremendous blend of flavors. Alcohol gives a little pleasant warmth without being overpowering. Incredibly drinkable Tripel.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Very light amber color, but not pale. It has a sunlight yellow appearance with a magnificently foamy white head, which could easily be mistaken for soap bubbles. It would be impossible to ascertain the amount of lacing, because it seems to merge seamlessly with the head. There's lots of carbonation bubbles.

S: It has a very spicy, floral, and citrus-like smell to it. It is Belgian at its very essence. Breathing in is overwhelming with scent. I get some banana, mellow flowers like daisies, there is a pear-like smell to it, and it smells very light like orange and apple blossoms.

T: It has a wonderful taste to it. I get a flavor profile that is very similar to the way it smells. I pick up flavors of banana, vanilla, and a light spice with hints of ginger. It's wonderful. I can't label it as perfect, but it is so close! There are hints of the earthy hops, but they stand in the background a bit. I bet if I drank this IN Belgium, it would be a 100% 5.0 across the board.

M: The mouthfeel is great. It is so smooth and delicious. There is a wonderful zest of carbonation...I am so surprised at how wonderful this beer is.

O: This beer is near perfect. It could easily be all 5.0 all around. It is wonderful and delicious...I would recommend this to anyone, regardless of what their beer preference is.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

I knew this was going to be a special quaf when I saw my first glass poured into a frothy amber color with a big head that you have to resign yourself to make a mustache unless you want to wait. The smell of, toffee and light fruits are immediately apparent and for a hot August day, it was the perfect matech.

Taste- deceptively sweet. Higher alcohol content on the 2nd wave of taste.

Mouthfeel-smooth as melted caramel

Drinkability-Unless you knew you were drinking, difficult to tell as it slides down the throat.

I hope it's served more often.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be my personal all-around favourite to date since it masters the flavours of my two preferred styles: weizen and belgian ales. Great stuff that I wish I could find in the Ontario LCBO stores. Very drinkable considering the ABV and I will definitely seek this one out again. In the meantime I will fall back on the more available La Fin Du Monde in the LCBO stores.

I discovered a bottle of this nectar at the Beer Bistro in Toronto (a place worth checking out).

It poured with a golden haze and looked fantastic in the tulip glass. It had a big fluffy head that receded but maintained a consistant thin layer. There was also some slight lacing leaving some nice spots behind.

The aroma is sweet and malty with nice complex fruity esters, yeasty bread and bubblegum. The tulip branded glass is a must for enhancing the smell.

The taste starts out malty with some mineral notes mid-way in the first few sips (but this subsides later). The great mix of flavours include banana, cloves, and bubblegum which make me think that this is brewed in the style of a great German weizen wheat beer. There's also some nice typical belgian complexity in the mix which lingers well in the aftertaste. It finishes well with some light orange citrus bitterness.

The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and finishes dry. I look forward to having another some day.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed from 11.2 oz. bottle into St. Bernardus chalice.

From one glance I thought the beer seemed light for a tripel. A thinnish lacing remains from a vibrant, creamy head over which I poured the yeast sediment.

I thought the nose was thin for a second but the chalice brought out a more complex bouquet than I originally expected: some acidic phenols, touch of hops, grains, just a hint of sweetness - honey I think. Fruity as well; some vanilla and some citrus.

I enjoyed the taste quite a lot. There are definite traces of the grains used in the brew and the fruity quality of banana or clove in the yeast. It tastes lighter than a lot of tripels, in fact it has the drinkability of a witbier. The alcohol content and phenols become more and more apparent as time passes, takes on a lemony flavor here. There's a little sharpness in the mouth that gives the illusion of thinness that's the cause for the 4 in mouthfeel, but the overall satisfaction of squeezing 8% out of this brew more than makes up for it. Highly recommended. I still like it over Westmalle's Tripel after a couple tastings of each.

Update March 2007: A little bit to add to my previous review. I have upped the appearance to 4.5 after having more experience with the tripel style. The fluffy white head is spot-on perfect, just gorgeous architecture spilling over the top of my gold-rimmed Rochefort chalice. Near perfection. Little bubbles stream from bottom to top for several minutes, this very active head eventually reduces to a frothy top-coat although the lacing is very persistent.This time around I noticed the wheat characteristics more than the oats, barley makes itself known. I didn't mean my references to witbier and hefeweissen characteristics as slanders, this is a much more complex brew than those two style, but the drinkability is where I made the connections. There was very little sediment in this bottle, I don't remember my old review..the light brown bottle was completely clear when I got done pouring this one. I also bumped up mouthfeel and taste for this review, the wheat characteristics make it full yet very smooth, and the taste is among the best I've ever had for the style, absolutely rivaling St. Bernardus and Westmalle for supremacy in the category. I loved it before and I appreciate it even more now. All in all this is one spectacular beer, absolutely stunning with the combination of flavors and big abv. Highly recommended to Belgiophiles as well as someone looking for their first Belgian brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy gold color, fine white head, and fortunately poured into it's own particularly shaped glass.

Aroma is uplifting, arousing, sensual, jumping with fruitiness, peaches, tangerines, apricots, citrus, lemon, alive with bright, sunny flavors, and a joyful honey/candy sweetness.

Absolute happiness results from a mere sip of this glorious brew, growing with each new drip down the lips!
Yeast, also, does some work towards delivering the drinker to Beer Nirvana, creating a warm, bready feeling. Body is somewhat light and buoyant, palate is delicate and delicious. Soft, sweet malt, long and lingering, rewarding finish, always accompanied by a tidy, tasteful dance of hops upon the tongue. Ahhh!

Unfortunately, this happy ride was all-too brief, for the otherwise unredoubtable pub poured a meager 8 ounces. Geez, guys, I'd pay an extra $.50 for another 2 ounces, and willingly, too!

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was one fine beer. One of the best examples of this style available. The only slight distraction was the fragrance was a bit funky, but not enough to distract from the wonderful flavor

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%

Taken from notes. Poured into tulip. Reviewed on 4-10-2009. Reviewed under medium low artificial light. Served cold.

Aroma: How perfumy this brew is... Very intense aroma with notes of grains, roses, lime and intense bubblegum aroma on the front. On the back theres some faint coriander seeds, oats and banana. Definitely one of the most enjoyable beer aromas i've experienced. Just insanely complex.

Appearance: Pours a golden / orangy brew with two thinger frothy white head. Medium perceived effervescence. The foam eventually collapses into thick cap. Mild lacing.

Taste: Very complex and layered. Intensely flavored. Taste of spices, banana, oats, bubblegum and citrus. Some butter and clove aswell on the back. Delightful.

Palate: Low bitterness. Medium full body. Medium low carbonation. Starts crips and ends smoothly. Finishes sweet leaving a lingering bubblegum flavor. Excellent structure overall.

Drinkability: Balanced, alcohol barely noticeable. Any price is a good price for this gem. But most important of all this a beer that is not only true to style but also transcends it. Unique.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

My favorite tripel to be sure.

Appearance: Wonderfully clear straw gold with rising streamers of effervescent carbonation. Huge white dollup of whip cream on top. Retention is perfect. Lacing is gorgeous. Carbonation is champagne like.

Nose is complicated with farmyard grains, lemons, poppy seeds, cardamom, peach syrup, apricots, canned mandarin oranges, vanilla, medicinal alcohols, etc…

Tastes takes all the qualities of the nose, adds mango, soda, more spices, pepper, and a mild astringent finale. All are perfectly balanced with one another.

Mouthfeel is smooth yet lively and very full.

Drinkability is out of this world. 8%...no way.

I love it, love it, love it.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Cloudy gold with a huge rocky bright white head. Looks outstanding.
S: all kinds of fruit, mainly pears and apples. A nice candy smell with some slight astringentcy. Balanced and perfect.
T: follows nosr perfectly. Slight pepper flavor with some acidity. Nice sweet fruit flavor which blends seemlessly with nice biscuity notes. Loving this.
M: medium to high carbonation but a slight body. Finishes so nicely. Great aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.
O: go buy it. Extremely quaffable and leaves you wanting more. Enjoy it any time of year.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

This one came in a 750ml. green bottle with a silk-screened main label, front/rear and a foil/paper neck label with a Best before date of: 16/03/08.

In taking the cage off the cork...Pa-thunk...the cork shot into my hand instantly! Be careful with this one...tons of carbonation. It poured into my 0.4L New Belgium (Rastal crystal) goblet a bright cloudy gold like honey, with a huge white fluffy, ultra tight and thick head. The head grows and turns rocky...the carbonation keeps the head alive and well through-out the entire tasting of this brew. The lacing is also rather thick, the champagne-like bubbles just keep on rising till the end.

The initial smell is sweet and spicy with stone-fruit flavors coming through strong. Some banana, green apple, yeast, candi-sugar and alcohol ever present in this pleasant aroma. Light, grassy hops bring up the tail end of the nose here.

The flavor...Wow...the flavor! Tasty triple if there ever was one. Lots of sweet and fruity complex flavors through-out the entire 750ml. bottle of excellence. This is truly one of the best tasting triple's I've ever had...nicely done.

Very well balanced big body brew with great flavor and the alcohol skillfully hidden...I highly recommend this brew as a great example of this style, and a very tasty one at that!

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Purchased at the same time as a Kwak, which is apparently from the same brewer...after drinking that I was very skeptical about this one, but this is one hell of a beer.

Exhumed from the bottle, this baby pours out a much lighter hue than i'd expected, almost more canary yellow than gold. No visible floaters anywhere, even to the end of the bottle. This has to be bottle conditioned, right?

In my wife's wine glass and my chalice foam is everywhere! This is one heady beer...literally a pillow stack of 3-4" for a considerable amount of time, and Brussel's ghosts floating around the glass.

The nose is relatively uninviting - a light whiff of skunk that subsides and a sweet, expected sugar profile. Clove and grassy hops prick my sensory excitement. An almost Duvelian aroma that is somewhere between spice and cutting citrus.

The taste of this baby is absolutely heavenly. Smooth, slick mouthfeel with those resounding hop tongue prickles. Its like drinking a pillow in heaven - just gets better and smoother the further down the bottle drains. Strangely delicious burps.

Wow, this one is hellacious. Just wish I could get it around here more often.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Somehow this made its way into a liquor store in downtown Vancouver, and the medieval label with Dutch script caught my eye.

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with tons of frothy white head. Head leaves little lacing but sticks around forever.

Has a very light smell; mostly of malted wheat and bananas.

Tastes very unique; there is a strong citrusy (grapefruit?) presence, almost like a mixture of oranges and lemons. The oats are rather noticeable and makes the beer's taste very different in a good way. Alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. Cloves are present in the background.

Goes down crisp and clean, almost like a normal lager. Very easy drinking.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels