Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Reviews: 1,301 | Ratings: 3,995

This corked 750ml is Best Before 08/09/07:

A: Clear golden liquid topped with a white head. Good retention, great lace.

S: Fruity esters (apple, pear, pineapple, banana), slight earthy spicyness, a little toffe & bread.

T: Light caramel/toffee, tropical fruit, honey, slight earthy spicyness. Alcohol warmth is very light; hint of acidity; just enough bitterness for balance. Very slight hint of solventy character. There's plenty of pleasant fruity esters, yet the fusil alcohol, phenol & cloves are really well-restrained (extensive cold lagering?). I think that the yeast gets a little out of control (too many by-products) with some tripels. Some might think this is boarding on a Belgian strong pale ale... but I'm loving it!

M: Moderate body is well attenuated, silky & finishes dry; fairly highly carbonated.

D: Exceptional (but it's fairly light on the alcohol for a tripel).

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Review #300! I figured this was a worthy beer for the occasion.
Poured from a bottle into a mini-snifter and a flute glass.

A - Extremely appealing light yellow-green hue with a ton of carbonation. Head retention is poor, but that doesn't take away from how awesome this beer looks!

S - lemon zest, pepper, orange, peach, banana and bread notes. Very complex and quite inviting.

T - Better than the aroma, but stays quite true to how the smell is. Lemon zest, pepper, peaches, orange peel and biscuit qualities are all coming through to me. WHERE IS THE ALCOHOL?! Because I don't get a hint of it whatsoever. Very refreshing and drinkable.

M - Very light feel for me. Extremely carbonated, works for the style most certainly.

O - This is one of the best tripels I've tried, and I'd easily put it on par with La Fin Du Monde. As for which one of these is superior, I don't know of I could give you an answer. A bit steep at $14 per 750ml or $6 per 12oz bottle, but I feel like this was worth the money. With La Fin being so much cheaper, I don't know if I'll try this again any time soon, but it's definitely at the top of its game for the style.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Tripel Karmeliet... I chose to drink out of a snifter at cellar temperature. I like the sort of medieval, rustic-looking label. Heh.

The three-finger head on this beauty doesn't last particularly long, but at first when I was pouring, let me tell you, it was an unstoppable fizzy force. Color-wise, the head is pure white and the beer is a vibrant liquid gold.

The aroma is like a fragrant perfume. It's floral - like, actually VERY similar to flowers, and has a delightful mix of fruity scents interwoven throughout the bouquet (wow, sounding snobbish, here). I definitely get some citrus, but also probably green apples, mango, and maybe even pineapple! And of course, this being a Belgian beer, their is also a bready note underneath everything. An amazing aroma.

Oh my. I wasn't quite prepared for such a flavor. I mean... WOWSA. Tart (but not too tart) apple and citrus fruitiness balanced with an abundance of profoundly sweet (but not too sweet), malty breadiness. It's got a satisfying, lingering finish with the bready taste, accompanied by slightly bitter hoppiness as the fruitiness sort of dries up. Sensational.

The feel is perfection. This is an effervescent ale, but when it hits my tongue and I'm prepared for the bite of high carbonation, it instead just kind of melts in my mouth. Yup. It's not just food that can do that. This tripel does it too. How can a liquid "melt?" I don't know.

A marvelous beer, brewed with authentic, traditional Belgian style. That's what this is.

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap. Has a spicy fruity nose with light malt. It pours hazy gold with a one finger thick foam cap. The palate is big and fruity with apricot over bread finishing with a bitter accent. It is creamy with an average body and average carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

What can I say? These beer is one of those rare ones that I can genuinely say that it is one of the best I've ever had. As someone prone to darker beers, I found this one to be surprisingly good. The appearance wasn't the common straight piss yellow color, but rather a cloudy, bright yellow. The taste wasn't bitter at all, and I found it quite friendly but different. I would strongly recommend this beer to anyone, and I look forward to the opportunity to try this beer again.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

After I loosened the wire cage around the cork on this 750ml bottle of this beer it shot away with a loud "pop," the carbonation pushing out some of the beer with it. Luckily, not too much escaped. This is a beautiful beer. I wish I had the glass designed for this beer so it would be displayed as it was meant to be displayed, especially since the glass for this beer is equally beautiful. Since I don't, I picked something close enough from my collection for smelling and tasting purposes and gave it a go. A huge rocky head forms very quickly on this beer, so a gentle pour is required. Below this massive white fluffy cloud of bubbles is an orangish straw-colored brew. Big splotches of lace are left on the sides of the glass. The aroma is full of complexities, including wheaty and oatmeal characteristics, yeast spiciness, vanilla, orange frosting, and what i'd describe as a tea bag aroma with some hints of medicinal herb. Very creamy on the palate with a good amount of carbonation. Complex flavors meet every taste bud in a different way. A sweetness from the combined barley, wheat, and oats is the main characteristic of this brew. It has complexity in itself from these 3 grains used in the brewing of this elixir. Orange-like yeast spiciness compliments the sweetness perfectly along with a medicinal character and a tinge of vanilla and bubble gum. This certainly is an amazing beer. One of the best tripels I've tasted, and certainly the most unique. Very well-balanced and great in every aspect.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured this 11.2 oz. bottle dated 20/1/07, into a brand new Triple Karmeliet glass (beautiful glass!). Body was a semi-opaque golden yellow with two fingers of head. The etching at the bottom of the glass was an engine for carbonation. A creamy island of foam chugged away for awhile, eventually leaving only a ring.

Smell was yeast, citrus, and grain. Alcohol was present but never overpowering.

Taste was sweet. Mild alcohol, but not distracting. Crisply refreshing aspects (from the wheat?). Very slight hop presence followed the initial sweetness. Belgian yeast complexity filled out the flavors. Faint sweet aftertaste. Rich malts held back the hops. This beer stars three malts, the hops are supporting actors.

Mouthfeel was zesty with a smooth finish (oats?). Medium/full body.

Very drinkable despite the 8% ABV. The alcohol refrained from ever overpowering the aroma or flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Clear golden beer with a lot of carbonation and very nice lacing. A looker if not a stunner. Beer just reeks of bread with some sharper fruity notes as well.
What a great taste and mouthfeel. Really complicated and balanced in the taste. You get fruits and bread with subtle hops undertones.
Very, very good. Really crisp and clear despite the complexity. It's not often you get a beer that has such depth but is also extremely refreshing. You can savor this beauty but you could also knock back a few in short order.
Very nice beer. Look for it.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Pours a sharp golden orange with strong effervescence and a beautiful fluffy white head. The lace is fine, smooth, yet sticks to the glass. The aroma is fruity, of bubble gum, hints of spices, fresh and full. The taste is smooth and sweet with a well-balanced dry finish. The MF is smooth and soft with a wonderful transition from sweet to dry.
IMHO: A well balanced triple with no big surprises, and is subtly complex. Karmeliet has a great combination of flavors and smooth transitions.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Bought this from the local Yankee Spirits in South Attleboro. Went home and opened it immediately. The first experience that I had with it was when I popped the cork off of the bottle, and it exploded down the hall from the kitchen. I figured at that point that it was going to be pretty well carbonated.

I poured this masterpiece into a Chimay chalice. The beer poured a bright, golden hue and brought with it a 3 finger, foamy, white, decadent head.

As the head settled down, I stuck my nose deep into the glass and inhaled deeply. The beer smelled malty and of grain. Also were hints of citrus and fruitiness. It had my mouth watering.

At the first sip, I fell in love. I wanted to marry this beer and have it last forever. It was amazing, like the freshest loaf of bread from the oven. Then as the taste shifted, it moved towards a sweeter taste.

The mouthfeel was amazing. It almost numbed me around my gums and tongue, probably from the carbonation. The mouthfeel was probably my favorite part of the beer.

Overall, an amazing beer. I have no doubts that this should be in the Holy Trinity of Tripels. Must try this if you haven't!

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Best before date on bottle 13/07/06.

Beer pours a golden hazy yellow with a vigorous head of soft white foam as thick as whipped cream. Typically long-lasting like so many tripels. This is my favorite style of beer so my lips are smacking already. Substantial carbonation, beautiful lacing effects.

Aromas of candi sugar, light malt and complex spiced citrus in the nose. Some hint of the alcohol but subtle. Lemongrass, hay, and sweet banana esters round out the aroma. Very fresh, very nice.

Scouring effects immediately on the tongue upon tasting. Strong notes of alcohol follow. After allowing the beer to warm a bit, the alcohol heat sadly becomes more prominent, detracting from the score a bit. Aftertastes of lemon and a lovely warming effect down to one's toes. Mouthfeel is light and bracing.

This one's a keeper, and Belgium has once again secured a top spot on my list. Seek it out, this is good stuff.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

330mL bottle poured into a tulip glass. Clear copper color with a huge long-lasting white head. Sweet aroma of yeast and fruits. Complex malt flavors with more yeast, citrus, and spices. Sweeter than most tripels, but not too sweet. Alchohol isn't noticible at all. Medium bodied with high carbonation. Well balanced and very drinkable, this is one of my all-time favorites!

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Presentation: 750ml (1 Pt 9.4 fl.oz) green flask like Belgium bottle with a dimpled base. It has a rustic scene painted in pastel yellow, white and brown, on the obverse with a descriptive screen printed text on the reverse. Dark green colored wire cage & cap do their job well, for once twisted; the thumbed cork removed itself with the cage!! Listed as 8.0% ABV on the reverse.

Appearance: Fantasmically gorgeous Tripel presentation that could be a definitive datum for the style. Completely lucid, with only streamers punctuating the sheer silky golden body that hangs underneath a humungous sized white head when slowly poured. Immense over-the-top carbonation but somehow it has excellent conditioning. The sheer size of the head is immense, and explains the impressive size of the Tripel Karmeliet glass, which I would so dearly love to have tonight to contain this effervescent brew and its goliath kopf. Fantastic sheets of creamy sticky lacing adhere to the inside of my Goblet whilst the head remains a smooth creamy covering that lasts for eternity. Simply no argument here, this is a “Perfect-5” Hands Down.

Nose: Tripel-tastic aromas punctuate the nasal passageways. Lots of farmyard wheat rolling around in a very fruity nose that has a fleshy contribution from orange colored fruits; like peaches, apricots and Satsuma’s, whilst it retains a sharpness that comes from a freshly squeezed lemon juice & recently peeled lemon zest. All this is punctuated with spicy hops and a vivacious Schweppes bitter lemon soda.

Taste: As impressive as the nose is, the tastes are even better. A high speed chase through the qualities of the aromas results in a profile that is simple yet incredibly complex. Spicy hops and a lemon-bitter finish really add quality to this one. Very easy to appreciate yet incredibly difficult to dissect and understand. This is by far way in excess of the sum of its components. Astringent ending.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth, yet with a revitalizing punctuating vitality from the oats, smooth but rough. Fine carbonation mixes with the oats and yeast to present a very impressive mouthfeel indeed that always remains talcum soft. How do they do that??

Drinkability: Holy Shite!! This is most certainly a Session Tripel, but at 8.00% you better have a place to stay for the night. A powerful, yet easily imbibed, monster. Bloody drinkable.

Overall: Wow, I cannot believe that I passed this one over in the beer store for the last few times I have seen it because I wanted something “new” instead. My Bad!

Awesome Appearance…
Narcotic Nose…
Tantalizing Tastes…
Moreish Mouthfeel…
Deceptively Drinkability…

**Highly Recommended**

By far one of the best Belgium Tripels that I have had to date, I’m so pissed that I do not have the proper Glass for this one, I will surely go to Hell. At $7.99 for 750ml, this is a true Bargain, all the above and you get to keep the cool bottle!

Absolutely Superb, a definitive Belgium Tripel.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-hazy gold color with a large white head that did not go away and left a large lace
S-spicy pepper, wheat and some lemon
T-Banana with spice and a hint of pepper and lemon, that goes to a spicy lemon aftertaste with a warming as the glass warmed
M- creamy and high carbonation that seems to be light body but once the creamyness goes down maybe medium body
O-Very complex with lots going on at the same time. Everytime I took a sip I had to add a note.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

I stole this beer from you mother.

A - bright, vibrant, golden color. sexy, white half-inch head with hot ass lace sticking to my glass.

S - light citrus, very apparent bananas. long, hard bananas. spices, coriander.

T - same as the smell and oh so damn tastey.

M - smooth as hot butter. medium bodied, mild carbonation

D - this is very easy drinkin. drink it on a train in the rain, on a boat with a goat. yes stu i am, i love this green egg and ham.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

On-tap 10/9/08 at Pitcher's Pub in Cumberland, RI, served in a large tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of spice, light malts, Belgian yeast, fruit, bubble gum and a little hops.

T: The taste is very well-balanced with flavors of spices, banana, apples and Belgian yeast up front. There's a mild but complimentary hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down real easy, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent higher-gravity and flavorful Belgian to drink for a long time.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

This is now my favorite beer. It's so light and refreshing yet strong enough to kick your butt. I like to drink a bit colder at first because I like to watch this beer bloom in my hands. It's nice colder and then as it warms up it brings out gorgeous flavours. It becomes so brilliant after warming up with a full bouquet of spices. Though not overly spiced. Just a fantastic beer. I describe this like I describe fine chocolate, there is some that you give to your friends and there is some you give to the ones you really love. This is a beer to be had with someone worthy!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Wonderfully drinkable tripel, without being too cloying or syrupy.

Tastes of spicy, peppery fruit (pear or apple) with cloves and herbs.

Wonderful mouth feel. Very refeshing and clean. Carbonation is well balanced (not too heavy like Duvel).

Smooth, mellow, very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

12/26/2008 @ The Bier Garden

Absolutely awesome. I had this as a recommendation from a friend who described it as an "easy" Belgian. Saw it was on draught at dinner last night so I ordered it. It was served in a snifter and had a beautiful golden appearance. There was a generous amount of lacing on this one that slowly subsided. The smell was a great balance of fruits and sweetness. Upon drinking, mouthfeel was lots of carbonation but went down smooth. Despite the 8% alcohol content, I noticed no taste of alcohol but started to feel it rather quickly. Great beer!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from 11.2 FL OZ bottle into oversized tulip glass.

A- Light gold colored with a hazy unfiltered cloudiness. The body reminds of a witbier, but the fast carbonation reminds me of a pale. Yields an initially massive 2-3 fizzy white head that dies very fast, leaving little behind.

S- Classic tripel scent... The dominant notes are wheat... bright fruit esters in the form of pears, apples, white grapes... Lemon rind... A healthy earthy spice in the form of white pepper, clove, coriander... Borderline floral. A mild malt sweetness lingers in the background, as well as slight medicinal phenols and a well disguised alcohol. Very nice.

T- Sweet pears followed quickly by earthy spices, which give us a pleasant bite. Transition is exceptionally smooth and brings out the slightly bitter aspects of the fruits involved... White grape and lemon peel... Then we are given another nice kick that brings the spices back to the foreground, and a swirling effect of the fruit flavors... Heavenly aftertaste that brings all of the above mentioned together with a slight metallic twang and indiscreet alcohol warmth... Incredibly impressive how this beer transitions and finishes.

M- Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation... This is perfect for this beer and really helps emphasize the flavors. This is the perfect body for the style.

O- Quite possibly my favorite tripel. It hints at elements of some other Belgian styles I enjoy: it has the softness and understated sweetness I usually attribute to a witbier, as well as the good bitter aspects I except from a quality strong pale... Amazing all around, I am coming back to this in the immediate future.

Note: For some reason, I'm finding the large bottles to have a more effervescent body and lighter taste profile. Unsure of what might be causing this difference.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

One of my favorites--strong and refreshing at the same time. Lots going on--sweet, sour, sparkle. A bit of a knee-wobbler when you get up from the table--have plenty of Belgian frites and mayo with it!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Blond style with relatively clear but slightly foggy countenance.

S: Sweet smelling oats, almost fruity.

T: Powerful barley taste mixed with wheat, oats are harder to detect than on the smell for some reason.

M: Amazing mouthfeel that is very pleasant to role over the tongue. A goot mix of the predominant ingredients: wheat, oat, and barley.

Overall a truly astounding beer. I have tasted a few Belgen beers before but this surmounts them all by far.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Enjoyed this beer at Tria in Philadelphia.

Beautiful gold color. Reminds me of honey. Aroma is intense and nice. Hard to describe.

Taste reminds me of honey. Again, like a mead. Like the sweetness was fermented out. Brett mixed in. The two components mesh incredibly well.

Food note: I had some Humboldt Fog cheese with honey with this beer. Quite good together. The honey tastes hook into each other, but the sweetness in the honey provides a contrast in those two "honey" tastes as well.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Light yellow body with slight haze. Thick white head of foam with lots of carbonation.

S - Very complex spicy phenols. Moderate fruity esters including banana, clove, and lemon. Light malt character. No hop presence detected.

T - Spicy, fruity characters at first. Low to moderate phenols, definitely peppery. Some lemon citrus esters present. Ending bitterness is mild, with welcomed presence of yeasty grain character.

M - Medium/light mouthfeel. High levels of co2 create welcomed bubbles across your tongue. Very light warming from ABV, but almost unnoticable.

D - Very smooth, refreshing Tripel. Complex palate of esters will keep interest levels.

---

Wow! I was not expecting this beer to be this exceptional. I'll definitely be back for more.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: Crisp nose with caramel, cloves, and floral notes

Appearance: Golden color, full creamy head.

Taste: Light, clove-y, floral, esters. Slightly fruity

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, champagne-like carbonation. Sharp finish.

Overall, an excellent beer. One of my favorites.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels