Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

YOUR RATING = None |
Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
Belgium | website

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Reviews: 1,292 | Ratings: 3,956

This beer is available in 750ml, however, I bought the 12oz 3-pack version. Very pretty bottle and the beer is a nice straw color. Very nice fresh citrus smell with hints of lemon. I love the taste with orange, lemon and citrus flavors. The yeast must really be unique in this beer. I did not care for the over carbonation. I don't like to have the beer foam up in my mouth when I take a drink. I do reccomend this beer though.

3.27/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: This beer poured a yellowish orange hue with a white head that stacked up to be roughly two to two and a half inches tall. Clouded with lots of yeast and a lot of beading inside that seems to stir up the floaters.

Smell: The aromas are some various fruits such as lemons and oranges. It has a hint of pepper fragrance as well. Typical Belgian bready yeast notes that most tripels have. Maintains its aroma through out the session.

Taste: The flavor is of citrus lemon, almost pine, Like the nose this beer has a typical bready belgian yeast. Has a desent hop character with very few foriegn tastes to intervien, the alcohol seems to bring the taste together.

Mouthfeel: The palate consists of a citrusy front, spritzy bready middle and an alcoholic finish. High carbonation and light bodied. Smooth and crisp finish.

Drinkability: Even thou I was thrown off at first with the "thousand yeast floaters", I must say that this was a very enjoyable delight. If you have not had this I would definitely recommend that you try this.

Cheers2Beers

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours hazy gold with a thick white foamy head that descends to a covering. Some lacing is left.

It has a perfumy aroma. Sugar-coated fruits stand out.

The taste is of soft, sweet fruits - slices of apple, banana and orange peel. Some alcohol notes are evident and stick around without much interference. Bready yeast is easily detectable. Some perfumy spices are in the mix. It's sweet, but not cloying. Just enough subtle hops put the breaks on the sweetness so that it does not become overwhelming.

It's creamy and very smooth. The flavors hang on, along with an alcohol bite.

A nice sipping brew. A delicate, floral fruitiness is the main characteristic. On the sweet side, even for style, but not cloying. A nice "ocassional" treat.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured haphazardly into a chalice. This beer has a crazy aggressive head, which turns out looking wonderful. The body is a golden amber with tiny bubbles running from top to bottom maintaining the head. Smells of citrus, brown sugar, Belgian rock candy, apple, young banana and a tinge of spice. Tastes begins with a sweet citrus and candy flavor, then a slightly tart green apple and banana sensation and finishes with some alcohol warmth. This is a nice crisp tripel, not quit as bready as my favorites, but a nice tasty brew all the same.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy golden-yellow with a big frothy head, served in a Duvel tulip. Sweet, yeasty aroma. Taste is incredible! Sweet, malty, spicy; a tremendous blend of flavors. Alcohol gives a little pleasant warmth without being overpowering. Incredibly drinkable Tripel.

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured to a hazy golden-orange, with lots of carbonation that almost poured over the top of the glass. Snow-white head was thick and pillowy, and lingered through the entire drink, and reduced to excellent lacing up and down the glass. Aroma was a very pleasant blend of floral hops and spices, mostly clove and corriander. Taste was more of the same spices and floral hops, reminded me a lot of Duvel at this stage. Very long smooth finish topped this beer off. The only thing I noticed was that the alcohol became a little to evident at late glass, and I would recommend not letting the beer warm all the way. But a most delicious beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured a clear golden color in my chalice. A nice 1 inch head that settled down to lacing that lasted throught the beer.

S: I really wish I could pin down what spice it is that I smell, but its strong and smells good. I like it.

T: Sweet, same spice thats in the smell, nice slight bitter finish. Really great triple. Alcohol in there comes through a bit in the end.

M: Thick, viscous, sweet. Everything I could want for a Tripel.

D: I doubt I would toss too many of these back in a night, but its a good beer and I would recommend it to anyone.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy, straw orange color with plentiful frothy white head. Aromas are very funky for a tripel. Lots of different esters throwing off grass, cheese, spicy herbs and a little bit of bubblegum. Flavor mimics this weirdness of a kind of savory funkness I can't quite describe. Carbonation is very high giving it a biting mouthfeel and finishing sweet. This is a very unique tripel, one that I can't feel compares to others. I have to say it puts it in the periphery of other mainstays and I can't quite enjoy its strange funk, giving it a lower drinkability score.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a green glass 750 mL corked and caged bottle.

Note: The cork had some gunk around it like some had seeped out from being stored on its side...

A- Golden, murky, orange. Not much head but crazy-carbonation. It was like I stuck an alka-seltzer into a glass of mountain dew.

S- Sticky sweet, orange, and other citrus.

T- Wow this is like sugar. Sweeter than you could ever imagine. No hint of alcohol. Bubbly thick start, sweet thick finish. Pretty uniform throughout. Got ever sweeter as is warmed to room temperature.

M- Sweet and thick, coating the tongue and throat.

D- One bottle was enough for one sitting. I followed it directly by a very dry stout and that threw my taste buds for a loop.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance – This beer is a fairly deep orange with hints of peach coloring. The head is white, frothy, and very generous.

Smell – Very suitable for a Tripel. Some yeast, high amounts of citrus, and some pepper. It’s a fruitier smelling Tripel than I’m used to and it’s nice.

Taste – Up front I get a bit of alcohol and some pepper. It is a followed by a toned down citrus taste and then the beer finishes with yeast flavors. It’s nice.

Mouthfeel – A little tingly on the tongue but the body suits the style nicely.

Drinkability – Quite good. This one is very smooth. I finished quickly.

This is a good Tripel. Nothing outstanding about it but still very solid.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer pours a golden/orange color with a huge head, in fact the biggest and most stable head I ever saw on a beer. Carbonation is enormous, this obviously maintains the big head.

Smell is lemon, grainy and aromatic spicy. Some coriander and peach. Hops are out there but subdued.

Taste is fruity and slightly bitter, The grains used are barley, wheat and oats, I can really taste the wheat and maybe the oats. This beer is in fact a strong witbier and I can really taste it. Everything is really smooth. Carbonation is sizzling on my tongue. .Body is medium/thin. I think I can taste a strange aftertaste which I cannot place, but it must be something the yeast has produced.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Gentle pour reveals a hazy 24 karat gold color with a massive head. Fantastic retention finally falls to reveal nice lacing.

Aroma is full of spicy yeast. a touch of wheat also seems to be present.

Flavor is very spicy. There are also background flavors of bubblegum and black pepper. Slight alcohol burn on the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, backed by huge agressive carbonation. Drinkability is decent.

Nice tripel that is nicely balanced between sweet and spicy, and smooth and carbonated. Very nice overall.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured this 11.2 oz. bottle dated 20/1/07, into a brand new Triple Karmeliet glass (beautiful glass!). Body was a semi-opaque golden yellow with two fingers of head. The etching at the bottom of the glass was an engine for carbonation. A creamy island of foam chugged away for awhile, eventually leaving only a ring.

Smell was yeast, citrus, and grain. Alcohol was present but never overpowering.

Taste was sweet. Mild alcohol, but not distracting. Crisply refreshing aspects (from the wheat?). Very slight hop presence followed the initial sweetness. Belgian yeast complexity filled out the flavors. Faint sweet aftertaste. Rich malts held back the hops. This beer stars three malts, the hops are supporting actors.

Mouthfeel was zesty with a smooth finish (oats?). Medium/full body.

Very drinkable despite the 8% ABV. The alcohol refrained from ever overpowering the aroma or flavor.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

11.2 oz bottle, dated 29/11/07 and 29KE 11:08, poured into my St. Bernardus glass

A—golden honey, clear, with a 1 inch really fizzy off white head that fades down to about ¼ inch and stays there for the life of the beer, laces like Swiss cheese

S—strong citrus, peppery and spicy, some clove and just a touch of banana, alcohol is slightly present as well

T—spicy and citrusy, pepper and alcohol blend in as well, finishes dry, very good

M—fizzy, medium/ light bodied, heavy on the carbonation

D—a sipper for me and a good one at that. I’d have it again for sure.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice pour...creates a slow rising roamy head, that remains on the top on the surface as you drink.
There is a slightly cloudy golden color...look closely, you can see the mild carbonation as the tiny bubbles rise.

The yeasty like, honey-ish flavor is a real treat for those of you who enjoy Belgian beers. Mildly spicy throughout.

A very nice ale, a wonderful sipping beer. Drink it only slighlty chilled to truly enhance the flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

The head is big and white and fluffy, the color is golden and clear. The lacing isn't so sticky. The head is still very dense and has good retention. There's some copper in there too. The smell is wheaty, malty, and fruity. The fruit is sweet apple. The taste is good. The taste of the head is where the copper come from. I first noticed the copper when I opened it but thought it had gone away. Taste also has sweet green apple and a little clove. The mouthfeel is smooth and inviting. Overall I like it except for a few different things. I will have another one in a while.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%

This corked 750ml is Best Before 08/09/07:

A: Clear golden liquid topped with a white head. Good retention, great lace.

S: Fruity esters (apple, pear, pineapple, banana), slight earthy spicyness, a little toffe & bread.

T: Light caramel/toffee, tropical fruit, honey, slight earthy spicyness. Alcohol warmth is very light; hint of acidity; just enough bitterness for balance. Very slight hint of solventy character. There's plenty of pleasant fruity esters, yet the fusil alcohol, phenol & cloves are really well-restrained (extensive cold lagering?). I think that the yeast gets a little out of control (too many by-products) with some tripels. Some might think this is boarding on a Belgian strong pale ale... but I'm loving it!

M: Moderate body is well attenuated, silky & finishes dry; fairly highly carbonated.

D: Exceptional (but it's fairly light on the alcohol for a tripel).

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A golden cloudy body with a huge head and incredible lacing. The nose has lemon, ahy, lime, and some yeast. My first taste gives me yeast,champgne, and sherry. It finishes with some strawberry and prune. The beer itself is wonderful, andh ighly drinkable, but it was far too carbonated, and I was often sloshing th beer arund in my mouth trying to get the sip to a point where I wasn't swallowing all foam. It was otherwise superb.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle.

Pours a pale straw color with a towering four finger head, even with a very gentle pour. I'm not sure the head is ever going to fade away. The lacing that is left behind is thick and chunky.

Smell; very floral with lots of tropical fruits. Some gentle spices come out, along with a bit of citrus and earthy yeastiness.

Taste; this is a very sweet and fruity tripel, with oranges, peaches, apricots and many others that I can't place. The yeasts add a bit of chalkiness, and the spices are a touch peppery, with almost no alcohol noticeable in the profile. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and drinkability is very good, but with the sweetness and abundance of fruit flavors I would not be able to drink more than one of these.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

I poured this "3 Grain" beer out of a brown, 11.2oz bottle into a snifter. The color was a slighly murky, pale gold. The head was thick, lush, and creamy with amazing retention--it remained strong for nearly the duration of the bottle. After the head solidified, in was capped by a stiff merengue dome, leaving behind an incredibly sticky and fluffy lacing.

The aroma was warm, consisting of considerable citrus and spice, accompanind by sublte floral and yeast characteristics.

The flavor was bursting with citrus, clove, and a touch of cinnamon. A bread dough quality, resulting from the use of wheat and oat, also asserted itself along with cream and a candied sweetness.

The mouthfeel was great: citrus on the tongue, then a spicy middle, and a creamy and candy finish--with an elegent amount of sweetness. The overall mouth was vibrant, complex, and well-rounded.

The drinkability was through the roof. Several bottles served at 50-55 degrees F coud easily be enjoyed without strain. A great beer.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy golden color with a medium sized, fizzy white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Sweet fruity aroma with citrus fruits, and some pepper as well. Similar taste, sweet, citrus, more Belgian spices and an alcohol burn on the way down.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed from 11.2 oz. bottle into St. Bernardus chalice.

From one glance I thought the beer seemed light for a tripel. A thinnish lacing remains from a vibrant, creamy head over which I poured the yeast sediment.

I thought the nose was thin for a second but the chalice brought out a more complex bouquet than I originally expected: some acidic phenols, touch of hops, grains, just a hint of sweetness - honey I think. Fruity as well; some vanilla and some citrus.

I enjoyed the taste quite a lot. There are definite traces of the grains used in the brew and the fruity quality of banana or clove in the yeast. It tastes lighter than a lot of tripels, in fact it has the drinkability of a witbier. The alcohol content and phenols become more and more apparent as time passes, takes on a lemony flavor here. There's a little sharpness in the mouth that gives the illusion of thinness that's the cause for the 4 in mouthfeel, but the overall satisfaction of squeezing 8% out of this brew more than makes up for it. Highly recommended. I still like it over Westmalle's Tripel after a couple tastings of each.

Update March 2007: A little bit to add to my previous review. I have upped the appearance to 4.5 after having more experience with the tripel style. The fluffy white head is spot-on perfect, just gorgeous architecture spilling over the top of my gold-rimmed Rochefort chalice. Near perfection. Little bubbles stream from bottom to top for several minutes, this very active head eventually reduces to a frothy top-coat although the lacing is very persistent.This time around I noticed the wheat characteristics more than the oats, barley makes itself known. I didn't mean my references to witbier and hefeweissen characteristics as slanders, this is a much more complex brew than those two style, but the drinkability is where I made the connections. There was very little sediment in this bottle, I don't remember my old review..the light brown bottle was completely clear when I got done pouring this one. I also bumped up mouthfeel and taste for this review, the wheat characteristics make it full yet very smooth, and the taste is among the best I've ever had for the style, absolutely rivaling St. Bernardus and Westmalle for supremacy in the category. I loved it before and I appreciate it even more now. All in all this is one spectacular beer, absolutely stunning with the combination of flavors and big abv. Highly recommended to Belgiophiles as well as someone looking for their first Belgian brew.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Recieved this bottle as a gift. Many thanks my brother.

Poured with an enormous head after a very loud pop from removing the cork. The aroma offers quite a bit of intensity and complexity. Lots of emphasis on malty and sweet fruitiness, some of citrus, other of banana. Phenols appear too with a soft spiciness, and include a peppery tone.
Brilliantly clear of dark gold. Head shows a variety of bubble sizes and leaves lacing even before drinking. Attractive.
Even with the complexity of flavors I'm struck by the dryness that seems more intense in the middle of the drink and actually quite short at the finish. There is a stinging biting quality when first supped, but it softens quickly, yet the carbonation is still somewhat filling. Warmth from alcohol noted on tongue and in stomach. Flavors are similar to the aroma, but less intense. Nice fruitiness (seems lemony) right up front. The fullness from the carbonation seems to inhibit the ability to taste the details. It's very soft, but I wouldn't say effervesent. Phenols softly appear in flavor too.
Very well done. I like the bitey, spicely aspects. Many Belgians seem to fade on me as I drink them, but this one seems to hold together better than most.
Went nicely with some chedder cheese and pepperoni.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Eulogy, poured into a generic heavy goblet. Forms very little head, has a bright golden color like Pilsner Urquelland slow columns of bubbles rising.

Smells grainy, mildly hoppy, perhaps some coriander like a Wit.

Tastes peppery-sweet with coriander. Moves to spicy alcohol, with a noble hop finish.

Mouthfeel is medium thin, with light carbonation.

This is somplex, and yet easy drinking.

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

An awesome tripel. Got it from a local market and also drink it regularly at a local pub.

This beer is really complex. It portraits a somehow light body, however it feels very tasty and robust. It has fruity aromas of peach and sweet smells of caramel. Although it has a strong smell of alcohol, it doesn't feel like that when drinking (though it has 8% ABV).

Beautiful creamy head. Not as thick and majestic as a Duvel, but it's there. Fills the mouth with some yeast and malt (wheat) taste. Really a great beer, it has so many attributes that it's hard for me to describe them all here... Hmm I guess I have to go there and have another one in order to take some more notes. :-)

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels