Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Ratings: 4,144 |  Reviews: 1,337
2.6/5  rDev -38.7%

Picked up a 750 at costco, poured into a pint glass

A: Golden yellow color. Extensive head despite very careful pouring. Looks surprisingly carbonated.

S: Smells overwhelmingly skunky. Any more pleasant tones are drown out.

T: Sweet fruity notes of bannana and cloves are buried under the skunky aroma and initial flavor. Tastes as if a heineken has been mixed with a subtle triple, and the heiny won.

M: Light annd crisp. Heavy carbonation, but refreshing nonetheless.

D: Drinks well for the ABV, as long as you don't mind the unappealing flavor (perhaps the bottle saw a bit too much light in its day).

This is the first of the style that I have roundly NOT enjoyed. Overall quite disappointing

2.64/5  rDev -37.7%

Rich orangish honey colored beer with very little head on it. Mildly malty, wheaty nose to it. Light but noticeable belgian yeast in the smell as well. Flavor is malty, caramelly and of light alcohol. Somewhat creamy and tastes of smooth maltiness and belgian yeast. Decent, but not for me.

2.68/5  rDev -36.8%

bottle from total wine

A - Light golden in color, bright white head, with good retention, but little legs.

S - Honey, heavy alcohol presence, peach, and overall perfumy.

T - Caramel, cream, slight alcohol, also slight acetaldehyde, and bananas

M - Alc way too high.

D - Good, but alcohol presence really needs to be removed.

Maybe a bad bottle.

2.79/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Weak yellow color, clear. Like a regular pilsener. Like pee ;) Not especially inviting.
S: Citrus fruits. Light bittering hop. Slight sour yeast. Fruity sweetness. Inviting ...
T: Not as full flavored the smell might suggest. Actually the first beer i've experienced that's ruined by the mouthfeel, killing any flavor sensation with an overload of carbonation. I do still get the citrus fruits with a good balance of sweet, bitter and sour.
M: Well, too much carbonation. I don't like the feel at all.

O: The mouthfeel just ruins it for me. Maybe it's because of the taste i had on the day, but somehow every sip i took was taken over by a lot of carbonation tingling. Also the flavor is too one dimensional. There's not much more then citrus fruits. The only good part is that you don't get any alcohol at all, which is an achievement considering the ABV.

2.8/5  rDev -34%

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

--330 ml small brown bottle, freshness date stamped on back
--kind of a pale amber in color
--nice, frothy head that left very nice lacing in the glass
--a kind of sweet, floral smell from this one.

Please note: This was my first taste of this style so I have nothing to compare it to. I thought this was a good beer but am hoping that their are better out there. I will for sure give this one another try as my palate and abilities become better.
Thx

2.86/5  rDev -32.5%

Reviewed 3/11/2006 (Pint @ Ginger Man, Austin):

Pours a cloudy orange-yellow colored body, with a small head, and is diminishing. Has an aroma of orange, and some spiciness. Has an odd spice taste to it, some orange, and a fizzy mouthfeel. Kind of flat.

2.87/5  rDev -32.3%

I have not found a brew that I have enjoyed in this style as of yet. I was recommended by a beer store employee that if I don't like this particular tripel, then maybe I just don't like the style. So I bought it to give tripels another try. 11.2oz bottle...

A: Super carbonated bubbles forcing their way to the surface consistently. Veyr light golden color with a thick 2 inch white head that doesn't fades very quickly at all. Holds steady for a while. Very good.

S: Has kind of a bud light scent blended with some strong wheat and oat scents. Ok.

T: I think here's the problem with this style for me. This style's flavor tastes, to me, like a higher end bud light. It has some of the same flavors that a Bud light does. This follows that for me. It has some nice tartness, wheat, and oat that shine through which separate it from msomething like a Bud, but the Bud characteristics are still in it. Guess it's just the style I do not like.

M: Very light. Does not leave many flavors on the palate. Ok.

D: Goes down super easy despite the higher ABV. Very good!

All in all, I figure I just do not like the style. Everything I have tried for Tripels has disappointed me. I hated La Fin Du Monde which so many people love and has a high rating on BA. I have not found any Tripel that I actually enjoyed. So, this just not be my style. If you do not like Tripels than avoid. Otherwise, give this brew a chance for you.

2.91/5  rDev -31.4%

11.2 oz bottle

App: Straw/Light gold with a slight haze. Frothy white head that quickly dissipates

Smell: I can smell it right from the pour. Sweet and sour fruit. The quintessential aroma of fruit salad covered in lemon juice.

Taste: Greeted by a rush of strong carbonation. Greeted by sweet alcoholic esters. Quickly dries to a malty crisp. Slight sweet flavor throughout. An extremely dry hop flavor with minimal bitterness. A rather subtle flavor, but I prefer a strong one.

Full mouthfeel with a strong carbonation which makes the beer unbalanced.

2.91/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear golden-yellow with a large white head of good retention. A very ample head.

S: Scents of pear and apple are drowned out by a Heineken-like odor. Overall, this is quite off putting.

T: The beer resonates throughout the mouth, with a finish both crisp and peppery. There is also a hint of cloves laced in.

M: HIghly carbonated and dry...

O: A disappointing experience. Perhaps I just got a bad bottle, but this had an unappealing aroma and tastes that tended toward cheap cider.

2.93/5  rDev -30.9%

Very traditional tasting tripel. Nice smell.

2.96/5  rDev -30.2%

Tasting this beer blind in a tripeltasting I was more ore the less disappointed of it. A smell that is only koreander and paradijszaad, and it was tasting like a (cheap) parfum. Hardly any bitterness and nothing that a lover of belgium ( trappist) tripels( like me) would try again... strangely enough this beer came out second in the tasting so there must be a lot of people that like it.... but not me!

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels