Tripel Karmeliet | Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Reviews: 1,302 | Ratings: 4,002
3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

750 ml bottle, a serving of it poured into a St. Bernardus chalic

Smell: Smell is something very unique, all I can smell is fruits, Mango, Grapefruit, Cantelope. All of these are strange for a Tripel, but lets go on....

Taste: Follows the smell, Fruit, all of which are listed above, I taste no alcohol, and no balancing to the fruit. There is some sour flavors, but they are very faint. If I didn't know I was drinking a Tripel, I would swear this was a lambic, or some other fruit beer.

Overall: I actually enjoyed this brew, if only because it hides it's 8% alcohol well. This was quite tasty, and I'm not one to enjoy fruit beers, so this one had just the right proportion to not turn me off.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 750ml green bottle. A little overflow after it was uncorked, this bottle might have been sitting around a while. No matter, its still tasty.

Looks a hazy straw yellow, and smells of apples and green grapes with a touch of spice. The spice expands on taste, as does the fruit here. This is one of those beers that amazes you at what a beer can taste like. Not overly sweet. I'd say its perfectly balanced. Give me more.

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Pale amber/honey. White, tightish head
S: Honeycomb/vanilla, malt milkshake. Subtle yeast extract/vegemite note.
F: Strong malt complexity, seedy spice. Cloying flavour. Hops are restrained. Light/mild bitterness.
M: Medium to full body, long
O: Very malty, milkshaky... for the sweet-tooth

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

My brother in law bought me a 750ml bottle of this magnificent brew.
So on a home brewing night, I decided to get cozy with the whole bottle!

Poured with a very big head all night long.

Smell is the same: orange, lemon Nice and delicate with good balance.

Good mouth feel and drinkability. Goes down easy when it's very cold, but you need to let it warm up a bit to enjoy all this beer has to offer.

I have found a home brew recipe, and I hope to try to brew this in the spring time.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
I've reviewed this in the bottle already but I don't think that I've had a bottle yet that does the beer justice.
Appears a transparent, light gold with a medium sized white cap that slowly fades out. Scattered chunks of lacing are left around the glass. Noticable amounts of CO2 streams rise to the top.
Smell is of honey, tropical fruit, vanilla, peach, and candi-sugar...it definitely lacks the grassy, husky, light struck aromas that I always seem to get in the the bottles.
Taste is nice. Tropical with papaya, mango, peach, mild banana, and sugary cream. Niiiice. High Five! -ala Borat.
Mouthfeel is nicely done with smoothness, excellent carbonation, and full bodied.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

A-Golden color..slightly hazed

S-Nice...sugar lazed plums, fresh wild floral field, overriped oranges..

T-Sweet overipe tropical fruits, a little floral impression but also some black pepper on the finish.

M-Much too charged up....tough to taste all the dimensions with so much of a fizzy mouthfeel

D-I'm slightly disappointed. It has some redeeming qualities but I prefer several others in the style more. Won't purchase again

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Explosive head--with a gentle pour, the head still takes up more than half of the glass. The beer is straw gold in color and quite clear.

Large alcohol and grasslike malt aromas

The smell comes through in the flavor...very much as expected. The alcohol is very warming after the swallow. Very light hop.

Classic barley wine flavors

3.31/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

750 mL

A: Pours with a pure white big belgian head and leaves wonderful lacing down the sides of the glass. Very clear for a belgian, with lots of the obvious bubbles.

S: Smells a slight sweetness of malt with an underlying alcohol tone. Somthing off adjunct like, I think its the oats...

T: Spicy pepperness is upfront with lots of fruit on the palate. Oily and a mild alcoholic warmness in the back.

M: Fitzy and bubbly, light as hell then the alcohol weighs it down a bit. Kinda oily mouthfell that I am not 100% happy with.

D: Meh, would be good during a hot summer day, when you wanted to get ripped. Not terribly drinkable for me, but I know people who would love this... Damn you belgians, I may never totally understand you.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured this into a pint glass and the fun immediately began. The head is voracious and I was only able to pour about half the bottle before I need to let it rest for a bit. Huge pillowy white head on top of a slightly hazed bright straw colored beer.

The aroma coming off this one is truly incredible if you enjoy the Belgian style beers. Very sweet notes, some fruity esters and a slight hint of alchohol all perfectly blended together.

Taste was wonderful. Semi-sweet with a touch of maltiness in there. A small alchohol warmth finishes a swallow beautifully. There is a nice amount of carbonation to play across you tongue in every sip. I took my time with this beer, probably drinking the bottle over the course of 45 minutes or so and the last sip still had foam covering it up.

This is one beer I could drink a lot of and am really wishing I had more on hand. I got my bottle from BuckeyeNation, so thanks go out! Thankfully I discovered a boutique store that carries this fine beverage and it will regularly fit into the rotation.

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

This brew is just outstanding! It has a huge frothy head. Great 3 finger head, nice soft pillowy body. Has some corn flavors and nice fruity esthers. Leaves unbelievable lacing down the glass. A drinkers dream! Pours a golden colour with that big head. Lovable beer and can actually be drank as a session!

This beer is available in 750ml, however, I bought the 12oz 3-pack version. Very pretty bottle and the beer is a nice straw color. Very nice fresh citrus smell with hints of lemon. I love the taste with orange, lemon and citrus flavors. The yeast must really be unique in this beer. I did not care for the over carbonation. I don't like to have the beer foam up in my mouth when I take a drink. I do reccomend this beer though.

3.27/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: This beer poured a yellowish orange hue with a white head that stacked up to be roughly two to two and a half inches tall. Clouded with lots of yeast and a lot of beading inside that seems to stir up the floaters.

Smell: The aromas are some various fruits such as lemons and oranges. It has a hint of pepper fragrance as well. Typical Belgian bready yeast notes that most tripels have. Maintains its aroma through out the session.

Taste: The flavor is of citrus lemon, almost pine, Like the nose this beer has a typical bready belgian yeast. Has a desent hop character with very few foriegn tastes to intervien, the alcohol seems to bring the taste together.

Mouthfeel: The palate consists of a citrusy front, spritzy bready middle and an alcoholic finish. High carbonation and light bodied. Smooth and crisp finish.

Drinkability: Even thou I was thrown off at first with the "thousand yeast floaters", I must say that this was a very enjoyable delight. If you have not had this I would definitely recommend that you try this.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours hazy gold with a thick white foamy head that descends to a covering. Some lacing is left.

It has a perfumy aroma. Sugar-coated fruits stand out.

The taste is of soft, sweet fruits - slices of apple, banana and orange peel. Some alcohol notes are evident and stick around without much interference. Bready yeast is easily detectable. Some perfumy spices are in the mix. It's sweet, but not cloying. Just enough subtle hops put the breaks on the sweetness so that it does not become overwhelming.

It's creamy and very smooth. The flavors hang on, along with an alcohol bite.

A nice sipping brew. A delicate, floral fruitiness is the main characteristic. On the sweet side, even for style, but not cloying. A nice "ocassional" treat.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured haphazardly into a chalice. This beer has a crazy aggressive head, which turns out looking wonderful. The body is a golden amber with tiny bubbles running from top to bottom maintaining the head. Smells of citrus, brown sugar, Belgian rock candy, apple, young banana and a tinge of spice. Tastes begins with a sweet citrus and candy flavor, then a slightly tart green apple and banana sensation and finishes with some alcohol warmth. This is a nice crisp tripel, not quit as bready as my favorites, but a nice tasty brew all the same.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy golden-yellow with a big frothy head, served in a Duvel tulip. Sweet, yeasty aroma. Taste is incredible! Sweet, malty, spicy; a tremendous blend of flavors. Alcohol gives a little pleasant warmth without being overpowering. Incredibly drinkable Tripel.

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured to a hazy golden-orange, with lots of carbonation that almost poured over the top of the glass. Snow-white head was thick and pillowy, and lingered through the entire drink, and reduced to excellent lacing up and down the glass. Aroma was a very pleasant blend of floral hops and spices, mostly clove and corriander. Taste was more of the same spices and floral hops, reminded me a lot of Duvel at this stage. Very long smooth finish topped this beer off. The only thing I noticed was that the alcohol became a little to evident at late glass, and I would recommend not letting the beer warm all the way. But a most delicious beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured a clear golden color in my chalice. A nice 1 inch head that settled down to lacing that lasted throught the beer.

S: I really wish I could pin down what spice it is that I smell, but its strong and smells good. I like it.

T: Sweet, same spice thats in the smell, nice slight bitter finish. Really great triple. Alcohol in there comes through a bit in the end.

M: Thick, viscous, sweet. Everything I could want for a Tripel.

D: I doubt I would toss too many of these back in a night, but its a good beer and I would recommend it to anyone.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy, straw orange color with plentiful frothy white head. Aromas are very funky for a tripel. Lots of different esters throwing off grass, cheese, spicy herbs and a little bit of bubblegum. Flavor mimics this weirdness of a kind of savory funkness I can't quite describe. Carbonation is very high giving it a biting mouthfeel and finishing sweet. This is a very unique tripel, one that I can't feel compares to others. I have to say it puts it in the periphery of other mainstays and I can't quite enjoy its strange funk, giving it a lower drinkability score.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a green glass 750 mL corked and caged bottle.

Note: The cork had some gunk around it like some had seeped out from being stored on its side...

A- Golden, murky, orange. Not much head but crazy-carbonation. It was like I stuck an alka-seltzer into a glass of mountain dew.

S- Sticky sweet, orange, and other citrus.

T- Wow this is like sugar. Sweeter than you could ever imagine. No hint of alcohol. Bubbly thick start, sweet thick finish. Pretty uniform throughout. Got ever sweeter as is warmed to room temperature.

M- Sweet and thick, coating the tongue and throat.

D- One bottle was enough for one sitting. I followed it directly by a very dry stout and that threw my taste buds for a loop.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance – This beer is a fairly deep orange with hints of peach coloring. The head is white, frothy, and very generous.

Smell – Very suitable for a Tripel. Some yeast, high amounts of citrus, and some pepper. It’s a fruitier smelling Tripel than I’m used to and it’s nice.

Taste – Up front I get a bit of alcohol and some pepper. It is a followed by a toned down citrus taste and then the beer finishes with yeast flavors. It’s nice.

Mouthfeel – A little tingly on the tongue but the body suits the style nicely.

Drinkability – Quite good. This one is very smooth. I finished quickly.

This is a good Tripel. Nothing outstanding about it but still very solid.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer pours a golden/orange color with a huge head, in fact the biggest and most stable head I ever saw on a beer. Carbonation is enormous, this obviously maintains the big head.

Smell is lemon, grainy and aromatic spicy. Some coriander and peach. Hops are out there but subdued.

Taste is fruity and slightly bitter, The grains used are barley, wheat and oats, I can really taste the wheat and maybe the oats. This beer is in fact a strong witbier and I can really taste it. Everything is really smooth. Carbonation is sizzling on my tongue. .Body is medium/thin. I think I can taste a strange aftertaste which I cannot place, but it must be something the yeast has produced.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Gentle pour reveals a hazy 24 karat gold color with a massive head. Fantastic retention finally falls to reveal nice lacing.

Aroma is full of spicy yeast. a touch of wheat also seems to be present.

Flavor is very spicy. There are also background flavors of bubblegum and black pepper. Slight alcohol burn on the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, backed by huge agressive carbonation. Drinkability is decent.

Nice tripel that is nicely balanced between sweet and spicy, and smooth and carbonated. Very nice overall.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured this 11.2 oz. bottle dated 20/1/07, into a brand new Triple Karmeliet glass (beautiful glass!). Body was a semi-opaque golden yellow with two fingers of head. The etching at the bottom of the glass was an engine for carbonation. A creamy island of foam chugged away for awhile, eventually leaving only a ring.

Smell was yeast, citrus, and grain. Alcohol was present but never overpowering.

Taste was sweet. Mild alcohol, but not distracting. Crisply refreshing aspects (from the wheat?). Very slight hop presence followed the initial sweetness. Belgian yeast complexity filled out the flavors. Faint sweet aftertaste. Rich malts held back the hops. This beer stars three malts, the hops are supporting actors.

Mouthfeel was zesty with a smooth finish (oats?). Medium/full body.

Very drinkable despite the 8% ABV. The alcohol refrained from ever overpowering the aroma or flavor.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

11.2 oz bottle, dated 29/11/07 and 29KE 11:08, poured into my St. Bernardus glass

A—golden honey, clear, with a 1 inch really fizzy off white head that fades down to about ¼ inch and stays there for the life of the beer, laces like Swiss cheese

S—strong citrus, peppery and spicy, some clove and just a touch of banana, alcohol is slightly present as well

T—spicy and citrusy, pepper and alcohol blend in as well, finishes dry, very good

M—fizzy, medium/ light bodied, heavy on the carbonation

D—a sipper for me and a good one at that. I’d have it again for sure.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A nice pour...creates a slow rising roamy head, that remains on the top on the surface as you drink.
There is a slightly cloudy golden color...look closely, you can see the mild carbonation as the tiny bubbles rise.

The yeasty like, honey-ish flavor is a real treat for those of you who enjoy Belgian beers. Mildly spicy throughout.

A very nice ale, a wonderful sipping beer. Drink it only slighlty chilled to truly enhance the flavors.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels