DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) | Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by Todd on 01-15-2003

Reviews: 344 | Ratings: 636

Absolutely one of the BEST beers I've had a chance to drink. Bubbly, high content of alcohol which is by the way undetectable, fruity aromas, hint of citrus, but the taste... Anyone who tries Deus will be delighted! High recommendation!

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Given to me by my son. I thoroughly enjoyed this different style beer. Attractive light color with effervescence similar to bubbly. High alcohol content perfectly concealed. Careful, after one bottle, I felt the effects. (About the same as 4 or 5 regular beers.) Feel was also similar to sparkling wine. Head disappeared quickly. I should have shared more of this with my date, but she was only moderately impressed. (She likes Ultra . . . 'nuf said.) Spice and fruit aromas consistent with the style.

I recommend it to people who like Belgian Ales.

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%

1 PT 9.4 FL OZ bottle
Served in a champagne flute
Cuvée Prestige 2012

This beer pours light in color. It is about the color of a light beer or blonde ale. Upon close inspection I see some tiny bits of suspended yeast. It is topped with an effervescent, champagne-like head that disappears quickly leaving no lacing.

I get pear and light stone fruit notes along with some spicy esters.

It has a spiced pear flavor. The alcohol is hidden. It's similar to a highly carbonated Belgian pale ale.

Medium to thin mouthfeel and highly effervescent

I enjoyed this beer. I believe the only other beer that I have had in this style was the Sam Adams Millennium which was buttery and not great. This was a thousand times better. It is the most expensive bottle that I have ever bought, so I am glad that it didn't suck. I mentioned that the alcohol was hidden in the taste, but the effects were felt just fine.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Purchased in Belgium in November of 2014. Pours a lovely pale yellow with a tight, loose white head and a translucent clarity. Nose is interesting and not really what I expected - primarily spice. Taste consistent with nose; however, much more palatable and quite pleasant in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is wonderful - light, bright and lively. Overall, a nice alternative to traditional champagne; however, the price tag is so steep. I was fortunate to buy it for 1/3 of the price across the pond.

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer is deep gold, mostly clear with a big fizzy white head that leaves bigger spots of lacing. The aroma is sweet, a little grainy and yeasty. The taste is much the same. It's got nothing particularly distinct about it in terms of a characteristic but it is really good. The body is light, effervescent and crisp.

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Straw yellow pour with meringue-like head. Musty wine scented. Slightly sweet mead, white florals on the tongue, slight vanilla aftertaste. Stinging carbonation. Well hidden alcohol. This was a nice surprise, with a very unique flavor profile

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This has been a shelf turd at the local bottle shop and it was discounted (though still pricey) so I figured why not?

Pours a golden straw color with a head that is just ridiculous. It's pure white and fluffy and is about the size of an obese hockey puck. Lots of bubbles.

The aroma has lots of green apple and white grapes. Maybe a bit of spice.

The taste follows the nose. Lots of apples, some pears, and apricot. Getting some bananas as well. Lightly spicy.

The feel is very light with a ton of carbonation. Very crisp with a slight burn on the tongue from the carbonation.

Overall, a solid beer. I'd be interested in trying more from the style.

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

From 2d2despuma. In Teku glass. Watching True Detective 2x04-05. In my saint's day A cross between a saison and a Duvel. Amazing in nose. Very refreshing and incredibily well hidden ABV. Expensive (20€)

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a straw coloured body with a nice champagne-like head, with highly visible carbonation. The scent brings up a great deal of dark fruit and spice, with notes reminiscent to Chimay Bleu. The taste is wonderfully balanced between a well-varied spiciness, nice body, and splendid finish. As of now, the best beer I have ever had. I would do just about anything to get more.

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%

I'd see it on the shelf for at least a year with its price; tempting me to exercise bad judgment. After a year, I broke down.
It may not have been worth every dollar, but it was worth the experience.
It is good to know that beer can be as good as wine that has that extra cache we call champagne.
But for the same reason I don't like champagne (dry and too bubbly), I have not gone back to Deus.

It is on the 1001 list.
MJ's "Great Beers of Belgium" gives it three full pages, plus photos.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2014 Vintage . Very convincingly packaged in the champagne manner, and bottle opens with the Reims sound.

Enormous very fine white head, body darker than anticipated.

Sweet marmalade flavours predominate, the lingering mixed flowers and herbs.

No sense of the 12% alcohol at all.

Enjoyed it, but something of an anti-climax. Can't imagine I'll be rushing back for another, but would recommend it to anybody

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Happy 2016, subscribers, viewers, and newcomers. I feel it only fitting that one of the first things I do this year is post a beer review. The following was my experience with my much-heralded NYE beer, DeuS. Enjoy, and try not to snort beer from your nose while reading, it gets a little out-there…

On the docket: 750 mL cork and cage bottle of Brewery Bosteels’ Deus 2012

Poured into: pilsner glass

S: Holy bubbly, Batman! I have never, in my short beer-drinking life, seen so much effervescence. Bubbles, falling in reverse, constantly erupt from the bottom of my pilsner glass. A stark white, highly porous head builds then recedes. Its body is a very pale straw, golden, and remarkably clear.

A: Apple, pear, a bit of barnyard, bright fruity esters… mint? Yeah, I think there’s a mint note. Halfway through enjoying the bottle, and periodically inhaling the aroma of the newly poured head, my nose did a double-take. What is that I’m getting? I turned to my wife and asked her to smell the beer, thinking I was crazy. After she sniffed, I said, “It smells like a wet dog rolled in mint leaves and Aqua Velva.” That observation got me the weirdest look in a long time. But, though that was imaginative, and descriptive, it wasn’t quite accurate. I continued to smell. Then it hit me (almost literally). What some people call “pineapple,” but my sense memory labeled as “cat box.” The realization almost put me off my beer. Whether from the yeast strain, the hop bill, or some other chemical process, I had never smelled anything quite like that in a beer.

T: The pleasant parts of the nose follow through to the taste: a medley of pear, apple, clove spice, citrus, and yes, mint again. I don’t detect bitterness. Instead, there’s a delicate tartness. Added in is a sweet note in the beginning, but by the time you swallow, it’s quite dry.

F: Light, creamy, and fluffy all at the same time. Extremely tingly. There’s a subtle whisper of booze on the finish, and grows more evident as the beer warms. 11.5%. Yikes!

O: I love to use the phrase “no words, just feelings” when describing incredible experiences. However, this is a beer review, so words are not just required, but inadequate. I’ve nothing to compare this beer to… if Saison Dupont, Chimay Cinq Cents, and Duvel got together in a room and starting drinking Dom, that just about scratches the surface of this intensely drinkable AND dangerous deity of a brew. And, when have I ever added this to a review- there is a very noticeable auditory element to this beer… it’s like the Belgian brewers put an Alka-Seltzer tablet in with the second dose of yeast.

S: 4.5 A: 3.75 T: 4.25 F: 4.5 O: 4.0

Suggested food pairing: poach salmon, citrusy salads, on its own as an aperitif, fruit salad

4.51/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: a twirling tornado of carbonation maintains a bubbly angel-white head and keeps flecks of yeast in suspension; gold body

Aroma: musty fruit, apple and pear, grape, some dried spice, maybe coriander, cinnamon

Taste & Mouthfeel: a surprising burst of fresh spice! cinnamon =, clove, and maple syrup are bringing to mind pumpkin spice flavours, accentuated by a beautifully rounded, full, slippery body; candy sweet like a soda but the spice notes are so vibrant, it works (but probably best to share anyway); a flicker of heat in the finish cuts some of the sweetness; dates, dried figs; root beer

Overall: usually not fond of sugary brews, but this is completely enthralling with complex spice flavours and luxurious mouthfeel; a real treat that is best shared with friends post dinner, by a fire if you can

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a champagne flute, beautiful pale gold color with a fizzy head,
sweet, herbal aroma,
very clean, herbal flavor, slightly bitter, honestly don't care for the taste much but its interesting,
crisp and bubbly,
very cool beer to try but $$$, I didn't buy this beer but would NEVER pay the >$36 it cost at the LBS

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very straw to pale gold with a champagne like liveliness with a thick soapy 2” foam cap that quickly dissipates. Clean fruit and floral aromas and taste with a slight hint of sweetness and some definite white wine qualities. The perception oscillates between a sparkling wine and a beer and you swing between the yeast driven fruit flavors and the light malts. Very effervescent, medium light body. Very refreshing.

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Highly effervescent, deep yellow colour, huge fluffy head, very slight murkiness. Very champagne-like in appearance.

Smell: Herbal, a bit grassy, yeasty, slight medicinal twinge.

Taste: Distinct yeast flavours up front tempered by the wave of subtle sweetness that follows. Herbal notes are complimented by an undercurrent of spice and fruit (clove, apricot, coriander). Well balanced and delicate.

Feel: Medium bodied. The alcohol provides some gravity, but the champagne qualities keep things on the lighter side.

Overall: Very nice. Keeping in line with my previous encounters with Brouwerij Bosteels' offerings, this was top notch. My first experience with this style, and so far so good.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

An excellent beer - my first Biere Brut, and was quite surprised. Very high carbonation, just like a sparkling wine, and the colour is similar too, a pale golden. The smell is somewhere between a cider and a sparkling wine, with notes of apples, white grapes, spices. The taste is bitter-sweet and very refreshing.

Pours a fizzy pale yellow with a white head. The aroma is herbal and has a good amount of Belgian. The taste is herbal and lightly tangy. Faint hops and champagne like flavor. Finishes clean and semi dry. Overall, this is a nice little beer .

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 bottle. Makes for a perfect fit for Christmas day and my 400th review.

Its effervescence is very apparent looking at its bright golden straw body. Hundreds of bits of sediment take away from its clarity. The head on top is massive but light on its feet. Patches of lace are whipped across the sides of the glass.

A big kick of coriander is the first thing I pull out. Fresh grass clippings and a vinous, green grape skin character give it some zip. Quenching notes of the skins of grapefruit and apricot give it a playful character. A bit of white pepper is sprinkled on top. I get a very soft vanilla note as well. It's delicate but very complex.

A handful of spices play on the tongue. Nutmeg and coriander are most readily apparent. The warmth of the alcohol adds depth to the delicately soft, sweet, and incredibly rounded vanilla character that sits at the back of the palate. Its vinous quality pairs with sweet apricot and peach notes. It's the first thing to come and the first thing to go. A streak of granny smith apple lies underneath everything. The finish is quick, dry and sweet.

As bright and effervescent this is, its ABV gives it extra weight, making it sit comfortably at medium bodied. A syrupy feel with a touch of sweetness is what lingers past the finish. Other than that it's quite clean and rounded.

I had this beer for the first time 3 years ago and I knew I needed to buy another bottle to do it justice and review it. Well worth the $35 price tag, both for its uniqueness and its complexity. The highlight for me was the rounded vanilla sweetness that pervaded throughout. I'm not sure how much that has to do with it being 2 years old but it gives me an excuse to try it fresh.

Thank you BeerAdvocate. I've learned so much in the 6 years of being on this site. I'm happy I made it to review #400. Cheers!

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big, billowing head on the pour. Sudsy lacing with a solid stickiness. Light, sweet floral and tropical aroma. Palate full of sweet fruit, pears and pineapple come to mind. Very mild leafy hop. Just a hint of yeast funk. Very well balanced. Medium body. Slick feel with a crisp finish. First of this style I've tried and I'm glad to say it's a winner.

Whem it comes direct from Boostel in refrigerated containers, the aroma and flavors still fresh, and it is really great and amazing, the bubbles exploding in your nose, i really love it.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

I enjoyed this bottle at Delerium Cafe in Brussels -served chilled in champagne flutes.

The color is pale golden with fast moving Champagne-sized bubbles with thick white head with foamy appearance and thin lace sticks. A lot of spice in the aroma with coriander and lemon zest dominating wiht light pepper aroma with yeasty ester and vinous element similar to dry sparkling white wine. The feel is great with big effervescent feel wiht warming of alcohol and subtle creamy sweet tangy mix with alcohol and light bitter herbal tinge in the finish.

The taste starts spicy with matching coriander and lemony citrus taste that was hinted at in the nose with slight sweet malt and yeast flavor coming through mid palate. Th taste of the yeast adds another dimension to the spice with a carbonic acid and light alcohol flavor emerging toward the finish which has a tangy sweet quality even though the carbonation gives a dry impression. Overall I was impressed and did not expect to like this nearly as much -it certainly is everything it promotes itself as -pretty interesting champagne bier with a nice amount of flavor with mild alcohol which makes it pretty easy to enjoy for 11%

4.41/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the 2011 corked, caged bottle. Sampled on June 16, 2014 I waited to post this for review number 1,800 even though I had it a week ago.

Lovely pale yellow pour that overflows to a foamy cream colored head. I need a towel to clean up the overflow mess. Great clarity.

Wonderful aroma that highlights toasted pale malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, ginger, and clove. Textbook Belgian Abbey brew.

The body is medium to full but it tickles my senses like champagne.

Similar to the aroma I pick up more spicy characters in the taste. The ginger really forces itself forward beyond the biscuit malts and other spices. Lingering light fruit character at the end. If someone was to ask me 6 months from now what I thought of this beer my answer would be one word "Ginger." Good or bad. That's what I take away from it.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

A - golden body with active sparking carbonation. Big white head sinks down and retains well.

S - dusty yeast, grassy, minerals, muted fruit, pears mostly, old spices,

T - fruity yeast, pears, apples, muscat grapes, hints of citrus, sturdy mineral notes. There's some cereal sweetness in the but finishes dry and crisp.

M - moderate carbonation, drinks like sparkling wine.

Interesting. It's like beer champagne. This is my first beer of the style, so I don't have anything to grade it against. While I appreciate this beer, it's not something I would seek out. It would be fun to show up to a tasting with this.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured beer poured clear golden yellow, with a large foamy head, that dissapated rapidly, had a decent amount of carbonation and lacings. It had grassy flavor, with strong streets of yeast, malts, and grains, punctuated by traces of sugar sweetness, fruit, and hops. It has medium edge becuase of the alcohol content, which is 11.5 ABV, goes down okay, and leaves strong aftertast. Pretty filling.

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) from Brouwerij Bosteels