DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) | Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels
bestbelgianspecialbeers.be

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by Todd on 01-15-2003

4.41/5  rDev +6.5%

How do I review this ? As a beer (of a style that was surely invented for it), or as a Methode Champenoise ?

Well:

DeuS 2006

Poured into a champagne flute, producing a profuse sponge-cake head, a clear liquid of honey-gold, with a persistent bead (as per wine vernacular).

The nose, the nose.... an immediate throw-back to farmhouse ales and saisons.... wild, gamey, perhaps indicating a preference more for bottle variation than a house Marque. Cool, powdered ginger, seaside brine, white pepper, lemon myrtle.

Flavours of fruit cake & candy musk, funky "forest floor", cider, white pepper again. Bitterness is nonexistent, but is suplanted by a spicy note, peppery, tongue-tingling & lip-numbing...

Brut cremant in a creamy yet dry texture. Arguably more interesting & complex than methode champenoise du vin.

Superb wine (ahem) beer....

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

It's an event as much as it is a beer.
Glamored like it's about to star on the red carpet, this is one sexy looking bottle. I've been intrigued for months by the bottle on my local beer store's shelf. Now it's time to taste for myself what all the fuss is about.

A laborious effort to get through the pamphlets, plastic rings, foil covering, twisted wire cage and tight corking. Finally --- pop!!!
As satisfying as any bottle of bubbly in the foreplay.

But how is it?

Well, first note. I've written this whole diatribe and the champagne flute of Deus is still bubbling like a swamp in Dagobah. I'm not making this up: I can actually *hear* this beer from across the table. The head is self-regenerating. As soon as the top starts to fade, the bubbles force up a new head. There must be some geological reference here, but I'll save for that for the next time I visit Wilipedia.

The smell is clean, crisp, clear, sweet and sharp. It most definitely has a nice Belgiany character going on here. Is it merely a triple? Smells like it. Let's taste.

Wow. I was expecting something to kick me in the teeth -- something so different an memorable that I couldn't explain it. Instead, what I'm experiencing is an extremely good beer.

The flavors that you expect are all here. Sweet candi sugars, fruity esters, a bit of spiciness, the warmth of alcohol. They're all here, but they blend together impressively well. It's an absurdly smooth 11.5% ABV beer.

I've written enough. Now I shall drink.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ahhhh the Deus. the Dom Perignon of beers.

pours up nice pale yellow with sparkling champaigne-like quality. big nice white head. the nose is very yeasty, notes of pears, slight sour note(?). the taste is very sweet, honey notes, very buttery, subtle dried fruit, sweet finish. nice full body. good beer

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

bottle poured into a flute. pours a light amber color with a clear, sparkling quality with lots of ephemeral head; loose and white in color, no lacings.

aroma is light and fruity with an effervescent quality and a vinous character. fruit notes include light apple and grape, with a touch of citrus as well.

taste is fruity, with an alcoholic base and light yeasty malt that plays off of the fruit nicely. very smooth upon finishing with residual grapes and a touch of apple.

mouthfeel is light bodied with an effervescent and tingly quality at the back of the palate, however the high levels of CO2 work well with the fruit and malt.

drinkability is good. this is essentially wine, with enough malt character to bring the brewing process onto the palate. wonderful for a celebratory toast. cheers!

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%

A: honey colored with tons of swirly bubbles, big very fizzy head

S: Sweet, honey, dates, ginger, maybe even some pepper in there...

T: Definitely sweet, pears and honey and dates. Gingery start in the
mouth, and I swear something like birch beer in the nose. Dull malty yet
warm finish.

MF: Super tingly, champagne feeling almost, though less sparkly more tingly.

D: Well I love this beer and find it quite excellent but it's ever so
expensive and its strength (both in terms of flavor and alcohol content)
make it for special occasions only.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Pop!

Smells spicy, almost minty, and then quite yeasty. Exotic fruit, clove/ginger, medicinal, and generally earthy. Honey and mushroom. Very exciting and interesting.

Peachy yellow/orange color, a good, clear translucence, great head with minimal retention.

First sip brings honey sweetness and body followed by spiciness and some funk. Ginger, pepper, and exotic fruit - like a Ménage à trois of mango, melon, and perhaps kiwi. A little alcohol heat is noticeable as felt mainly through the. Sweetness has an almost syrup-like feeling. More carbonation than you can shake a stick at, but not as much as Duvel which can cause physical pain. Finishes fairly dry, surprisingly

After reading some other's reviews, I decided to stick my half-full bottle in the freezer (an idea that I decided against at the opening). It really is more spicy/ginger-like when cooled. I guess those flavors work well its sparkling nature. As it warms it seems to get sweeter and less complex. Another cold, cold sip unleashes a fairly vibrant nut flavor - soft and, well, nutty.

If the little booklet attached to my bottle is correct, it looks like this beer went through the traditional Champagne method (in France, after being brewed in Belgium). It's fun to drink something that so many labor hours went into. Imagining such notions as a French worker hand turning my bottle everyday and actual bottle fermentation (that most faux Champagnes fail to have experienced) make me feel fairly pampered. After all, I only drink the best... wink.

Pretty good, pretty expensive.

2.78/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours from a bottle into a chalice. Very pale yellow with A LOT of bubbles. Looks exactly like champagne. Smell is spicy, sweet, with some fruit scents. Taste...tastes exactly like freaking champagne. It's hard to believe this was classified as beer. I can't drink a pint glass of champagne, nor could I drink a pint of this stuff. Like champagne, it was sweet to start and finished dry. Way too much carbonation for this beer to be enjoyable. Filled the stomach with so much air, I couldn't finish this one. Definitely not my style of beer. $25 down the drain.

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%

Was saving this for a special occasion...and brought it to a friends house on July 4th who just had a kid. Seemed like a perfect time to try this beauty.

Poured into champagne flutes. 2006 vintage.

Pours a beautiful golden color with a big, creamy white head that has good lasting power. Tons of carbonation seen rising. Perfect beer for a champagne flute. Beautiful.

Aroma is fruity, flowery and malts. Interesting.

Taste is flowery, malts and tons of mixed fruit [mango, pineapple, orange, banana]. Sweet creamy orangecicle type of feel to it. Just plain old yummy!

Mouthfeel is med-light bodied and very cleansing. Wonderful!

Overall, I was really shocked how good this beer is. Very drinkable. Wonderful. Unique and delicious. Just amazing. Is it worth the price: Yes. Am I glad I have another one in the cellar: Yes. Would I buy another if I had the chance: Absolutely. The perfect beer for special occasions.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle is really nice looking; upscale even. I'm not really sure what to expect, but as I like most Belgian beers I'm thinking positive. I've popped the cork out of quite a few bottles of beer, but holy shit that was loud!!! I'm a bit shaken, but I think I can go on. Huge, bubbling, noisy, off-white head fades quickly to a thick film. A bit of bubble gum and candied apricot in the aroma along with a bit of white grapes. The aroma is definitely unique, and I'd say closest to a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. A bit of vanilla, some flowers, cotton candy, and I swear there is a dry white whine flavor in there too (is it mental?). It reminds me a bit of Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde, but even more potent. Mouthfeel is quite fizzy with a fairly strong alcohol burn. I like it...the flavors and aromas are strong and inviting. The alcohol is a bit much, especially when compared to traditional champagne. It was fun to try once, but it's just too expensive to drink in the future. To be fair I can't imagine any beer being worth 5 to 10 times the average.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a brilliant golden color with massive white puffy head. Many little bubbles of carbonation in the head and in the glass.

Smell has a nice sweet malty character, with lots of summer fruit.

Taste is very impressive. Lots of fruity sweet, almost like a champagne, but with more of a malt character. Absolutely no alcohol presence is found.

Leaves a firm, sweet malty taste in the mouth, with good taste retention.

Very easy to drink, very tasty. Also very expensive. May thanks to fellow BA mtanji for this delicious treat on our recent visit.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Bought a bottle of this at Good Microbrewery in LA to celebrate a friend's new job.
It was excellent.

Bottle was under extreme pressure and when the waiter popped the cork it shot well across the room.
Label indicated this was a 2005 vintage.

Poured into a goblet, followed by an impressive amount of foam.
Very bubbly, a constant flow of bubbles.

Sweet spice scents float out of the glass, followed by a strong fruity sugary aroma. Definitely smells good.

Drinks very warm. (11.5%)! Mouthfeel is very much like a champagne, but tastes like a Belgian. Very biscuity and sweet.

I would say it's not very drinkable due to the high alcohol content and the price, but it was a good celebratory beer, indeed.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

My buy date is 01.20 03. It's been sitting in my cellar for over five years. It just popped open and offered a whiff of white smoke along with a slight pop. Bosteels was the crown. Bosteels has made me happy before.

I remember buying this stuff. It was the most expensive beer I'd ever bought and I chose to lay it down for a while to see how "expensive" developed. I assumed that expensive was an indicator of its ability to be laid down. I could have been a bonehead with a bullshit status attitude like that, so I deserve what I get.

It foams up and subsides to a skim. The nose is slightly spicy and the taste is very spicy. It's somewhat sweet, but beguiling in its complexity. The nose has a little cork but the taste is clean and a little sweet, but only a little. The flavor acts like anise without the licorice. It is wonderful. I'm going to stop reviewing now and drink beer.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

I am quite literally shaking. I had to take a corkscrew to my bottle of 2002 DeuS...that cork was not budging. Half the cork broke as I tried to extract it. As I stood there trying to figure out what to do next, the part of the cork still stuck inside shot out of the bottle with no warning and a very loud crack, more like a gunshot report than a champagne bottle popping. My neighbors probably thought I shot myself...but I am 1) lucky that the cork didn't hit me in the eye and 2) lucky that I didn't end up with DeuS and broken glass all over my kitchen, as this bottle was obviously under some serious pressure. Damn....that was intense. Good thing the alcohol in here is 11.5% - I now need it.

A - After all that drama, poured into a goblet. Fizzy champagne-like head that leaves a little lacing...and bubbles, bubbles so many bubbles cascading from the bottom of a glass that isn't even etched. It's amazing that beer can present itself like this.

S - The aroma is sweet and generally pleasant. Sweet with spicy yeasty phenols; a bit floral.

T - Not anywhere near as champagne-like as I expected. This is definitely beer, no question. A complex beer - I notice the smooth phenols, probably a result of 6 years' aging - blending in with the slightly vinous, sweet finish. Some grassy hop noted, just adding more of a sweet wheatgrass character than any kind of real bitterness. Any rough edges from the 11.5% alcohol have probably been aged out. The overall effect is one of a smooth, very strong, silky beer that only looks superficially like champagne.

F - Again, though it looks like champagne, it feels more like a very smooth, aged-out Tripel or Belgian Strong Pale. Still, the bubbles are not shy, and this makes for an excellent palate-cleanser.

D - For a beer of this magnitude, drinkability is good. I'd like to try this fresh, though it certainly wasn't bad aged for several years. I'm going to finish the rest of the bottle with my favorite beer pairing, smoked salmon and water crackers. Another one of those beers that really blasts through the apparent limits of what beer can be.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a wine glass. Pale hazy gold in color with a substantial white head that takes ages to melt away, much unlike champagne.

Aroma is dominated by spices. Cardamom seems especially obvious and there's a big pepperiness from the alcohol.

Flavor is sweet with honey and a floweriness accented by the spices of the aroma. Finish is really hot and fumey.

Carbonation is through the roof and forces you to sip slowly. This combined with the booziness really doesn't make for high drinkability.

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Cheers to Ding for this one! Decanted into a champagne flute

Pours an effervescent gold with much eggshell white head. Above average lacing & below average head retention head retention

S: Apples & honey & lots of it

T: Honey, appleskins, & booze up front. Some white pepper & faint lemony hops as this warms. finishes crisp, fruitty & with nice pear notes, plus some nice honey notes

MF: Spritzzy with slickness

Drinks pretty good, this goes down easier than champagne to me! The wife liked it too! To me this was like a saison/wit/sparkling ale/mead hybrid. a great one to try om your wine snob friends!

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

certainly one of the more interesting beers i've tried. served in a snifter from a champagne style bottle, this was clear and golden with apricot hues, champagne-like bubbles and a diminishing, lively white head and lacing. powerful and complex nose, with a funky, earthy, mustiness, light colored fruit, flowers, honey, and more. a nice bit of sweetness upfront is balanced out by just enough sour character and the lively carbonation. a vague spiciness also is present. medium-bodied and effervescent mouthfeel, complex finish. fuller, less sour mouthfeel than champagne, overall very nice mouthfeel. definitely worth a try and i'd much prefer this to sparkling wine or champagne.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Poured from the large bottle into a tulip glass. Brew is a bright, clear golden color with plenty of carbonation rising to the top. Head is pure white and very very tall. Great looking beer.

Smell: Strikingly spicy aroma at first glance, with a hint of sour fruits. Upon further examination hints of light fruits and a vinous aroma attack the senses. Not a subtle beer at all. This one goes straight for the olfactory glands.

Taste: Sweet honey at first glance, but then evolves into a very nice light fruits array, aided by a spicy cinnamon-like note accompanied by cloves. Taste is subtle but then increases inintensity as you keep it in the mouth. Ginger is most notable in the midpalate, and dominates the taste for a while, but not in a bad way. A nice hoppy character finishes the taste, but it's balanced by a somewhat sweet yeast note.

Mouthfeel: Very prickly and carbonated, but just what I expected. Almost exacly like champagne in mouthfeel...

Drinkablility: If this were not so expensive, I would drink this every week. However, the intensity of the taste up front, as well as the cost makes this one a very special beer to be consumed on a very special occasion. In this case it was my birthday, as well as Super Bowl Sunday...

Beautiful bottle and label, opened with a loud pop just like a Champagne bottle, and poured into a Deus glass, chilled as recommended.
Crystal clear, light golden, with never-ending, multiple tiny bubbles,and all exactly symmetrical, forming a nice, compact multi-bubble white cap. Gorgeous, and it leaves a nice lace on the way down!
The aroma keeps up, with multiple fruity, minty, sweetish, grainy notes, evolving into earthiness, more fruitiness, lemons and pears, perhaps some funkiness (Brett?) and a whiff of alcohol.
On the palate, it is incredibly light, although you feel it warming your throat. Fully carbonated and prickly, the taste is exactly as suggested, with a little extra spiciness and earthiness.

Fred Eckhardt was right: "Alongside Deus, Champagne is boring". A true masterpiece.

2.96/5  rDev -28.5%

I drank this at an "Art of Refermentation" beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver at the National Geographic.

These are my tasting notes:

I did not particularly care for this beer. It appears in my beer store, and I've been tempted to give it another try, but my initial impression was an overly ginger character and given the price I didn't think it was exceptional.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

750 ml bottle, got it for $28, which I thought was pricey, but apparently it's a steal compared to the $40 some other reviewers paid. Cork came off with a champagne 'pop', smoke then issuing from the bottle. Poured it into a goblet glass, really should have used a flute. Even so, pure white 3 finger head that settled down quickly, leaving zero lace. After sitting for 15-20 minutes, the head is completely gone. Appearance once the head is gone is just like a sauvignon blanc; I could take a picture of it in a wine glass and you'd never know it was beer. Tastes much better after warming up a bit. Refrigerator temperatures are definitely too cold for this beer. Flavors of apple and banana, with just a wee little hint of malt on the finish. No hops detectable...are there even any in this? A very unique and unusual beer. If you approach food pairings like you would a white wine, you'll do fine.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

The fancy champagne bottle looks a lot like Dom Perignon, even the label. Its pretty awesome to see a beer in packaging like this.

This is the 2002 vintage.

It pours a clear deep gold with several meandering streams of tiny carbonation bubbles. The head is huge with large white bubbles and emits a loud crackling sound as it settles. Good trails of pure white lace remain on the glass.

Delicate honey and lemon notes fill the aroma. Some grainy barley is also there. The taste is more complicated. The lemon mixes with rye grains, spices common to Tripels (cardomman?) and even some kandi sugar sweetness. Alcohol warmth is strong throughout, even at 2C. It is never distracting but you know this is an 11+ ABV beer. The mouthfeel is medium and prickly with carbonation. The finish is sweet, citrusy and mildy spicy.

A very interesting beer. It isnt so dry and not too reminiscent to champagne in my opinion. It is still very unique and quite tastey. Worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml bottle from the 2005 vintage poured into a relatively large champagne flute with a large bulb.

A = Golden yellow, honey color with lots of small carbonation bubbles. Other than being a little darker yellow, it really did look like champagne as it was poured and settled in.

S = Smell of tart green apples, some typical Belgian yeasty notes, followed by a certain spiciness, almost like cinnamon. Very interesting smell for a beer.

T = Taste is good but there is a slightly medicinal taste mid-palate that keeps me from rating it higher than that. Up front I taste fresh grains, with a sort of mellowed, rounded out yeasty undertone. Fairly sweet.

M = Medium bodied, somewhat foamy. Although it looks like champagne, it doesn't feel like it. This is a nice light tasting but relatively full-bodied beer. Coats mouth well to allow the tastes to really sink in.

D = I'd say this is very drinkable. High ABV, so cannot drink too much, but great for a special occasion.

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Served into a 8 oz flute.

Appearance - Pours a nice thick clunky head that sticks around for a little while. Lots of bubbles rush upwards. Crystal clear and pale yellow. Lacing is virtually nonexistent as the head recedes.

Smell - Very soft in throught the nose. Mild graininess, soft floral hops, and a slight alchohol burn to remind me that when this thing is gone, I'ma be tanked.

Taste - A little sweeter than I would like, but probably spot on for wine entusiasts looking for a different take on champegne. A little grain comes through, with a strong spicy hopiness just poking it's head through the middle. A little tart through the middle.

Mouthfeel - A pretty decent body, a little slick, with asharp prickley carbonation.

Drinkability - Here once again I find the sweetness a little to much for me. Otherwise a very approachable beer. And with the alchohol so nicely hidden It works well for what it is. At somewhere around $40 in colorado for a bottle, I'm not going to buy this one again.

Cuvee Prestige 2006.
A - Huge Champagne style 'pop' on opening. Poured into a flute a nice golden colour with very minimal head. Lots of small carbonation bubbles racing to the top.
S - A pretty strong spicy note, some ripe apple fruit hints. Also a bit of a savoury earthy touch.
T - Some bready maltiness, along with the spice, fruit & earth notes from the smell.
M - Light bodied but still slightly sticky mouthfeel. Full on carbonation as expected.
D - Quite a complex beer indeed. Obviously not something to drink on a regular basis (even if you have money) as there are better choices at less money. For special occasions though I guess it's worth a shot.

Bottle from 2002. Pours dark gold with a small haze, and a big white head. Aroma is extremely complex with notes of white pepper, and big floral notes, especially Hawaiian white ginger, as well as cinnamon and allspice. Flavor is just as complex as the aroma, sweet, spicy and softly phenolic, with notes of clove, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Alcohol is apparent but very softly so. This is a true gem of a beer, one of the best beers in the world, and worth seeking out, and aging.

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) from Brouwerij Bosteels