Wexford Irish Cream Ale | Greene King / Morland Brewery

Style: Cream Ale

Added by Mitchster on 01-24-2002

3.3

View: Beers

Serving type: 14.9 fluid oz. nitrogenated tall-boy poured into stout glass.

Appearance: Typical nitro-can cascade effect, always fun to watch. When the bubbles settle the beer has a penny-copper, transluscent hue with a one-finger, creamy nitrogenated head.

Smell: Rich, sweet cream, butter, sugar, malt. Not much (if any) hops aroma. Be advised that a lot of this smell comes from the head, rather than the beer itself.

Taste: The cream comes through very strongly. Rich, sweet, with a mild hops finish. Definitely a beer geared towards the malt, rather than the hops.

Mouthfeel: This is where I'm torn. I understand why a lot of people demonize nitro-beers, given that the mouth feel is thinner, waterier, and less full-bodied than normal carbonation. But honestly, for this beer, nitro just WORKS. It is thinner than most, but the head flavor plus the sweet maltiness really makes it feel full-bodied.

Overall: This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite beers ever. I find myself seeking it out in any specialty beer store. I normally HATE nitro-beers (Guinness, Murphy's, Boddington's) but for this beer, I couldn't have it any other way. It's a cream ale, and meant to be enjoyed that way. As pure, uncarbonated, heady cream.

4.75/5  rDev +41.4%

4.64/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Pint Defiance tulip. The body is dark red with a thick and creamy white two finger head. Aromas consist of toffee, marshmallow, some indistinguishable fruits, and biscuity malts. Flavors are the same. The feel is extremely smooth, but has light carbonation due to the nitro widget.

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer and it's one of the ones I keep constantly stocked at the house! Served in a can that kept the beer very well, let's out a satisfying froth and hiss when opening. Amber in color. A very smooth beer, sweet, earthy flavors with a very very light bite at the very end when swallowing. Keeps a very strong, frothy head for a long time during drinking. The exact opposite of a bitter IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +35.1%

This beer came to me with a nice nitro-fed stay-put head. It was a tarnished brassy color. The smell was a beautiful mix of sweet musty gran, herbal hop, a barely dectable yeastiness. The taste is a swirl of sturdy honey, herbal hop, and malt swetness. There were definatly some other subtleties there but I was a little to destracted to pick them out. Simple but damn delicious. Mouthfeel was of course dreamy and creamy. Was delicious with Irish Root soup.

4.51/5  rDev +34.2%

Wexford is beyond smooth, and very easy drinking. Watching this beer cascade is just beautiful. Definitely a new favorite

4.46/5  rDev +32.7%

Clean slightly sweet aroma. Copper in color with a consistent white head. Flavor is slightly sweet and tart, with a balanced bitterness, and a noble hop flavor. Creamy nitrous infused brew that goes down smooth anytime. A great session brew ! I'd drink a lot more of this beer if it wasn't around $ 3.00 a can at my local. I LOVE IT!!!

4.42/5  rDev +31.5%

A very flavorful cream stout but I find it odd that it is an Irish cream stout and yet it's brewed in England. It has an excellent pour with an impressive head. Very creamy texture and very golden color. Wonderfully flavored with a distinctive sweet note to it.

4.41/5  rDev +31.3%

Appearance: Friggin' awesome! The seperation when you pour it
is just like Guinness, but cooler. Maybe it's the
lighter color or something, but it's really cool how it
cascades.
Smell: There's a smell of a cream, mixed with milk and butter.
Taste: The taste is one of a kind. It's soooo smooth. Tastes like
cream and butter. Hopefully it's not as fattening.
Mouthfeel: This was very smooth and went down so easily. It was
so smooth, it just rolled down my tounge. Kind of left
a small amount of a film in my mouth.
Drinkability: I could drink this all day long, if I didn't get yelled at
by my fiancee that is. Maybe it's my catholic genes
in me, but this is a very drinkable beer and dare I say,
the best cream ale.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%

Fantastic looking pour. The carbonation quickly rises to the top so that the head and liquid seem like they are trying to separate. Creamy bleach white head with tiny bubbles. Dark golden copper color. Wonderful retention that yields huge thick lacing that coats the glass.

Thin creamy taste and feel. Smooth malt taste that pleases my mouth with every sip. Easy going down with an amazingly pleasant palate. I will drink this almost anytime it's available.

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%

I used a hefeweisen glass. It had all the space I needed as this pours with a glorious head thanks to the nitro can. Even after the head settles it remains substantial at 1 and 1/2 inches.

I've been wanting a Cream Ale for a while and found one at a local store in High Point, The Brewer's Kettle. After the head settles, you are left with a nice head and an amber/copper beer in your glass.

There is a nice malty aroma but it isn't the reason you go for a cream. This style, for me, is all about mouthfeel and it delivers that nice creamy texture that is the hallmark of a cream ale.

If you can't stand a nitro can, stay away. I do love a nice IPA and this is the exact opposite of an IPA but I loved it. But isn't that the great thing about craft beer - the different tastes and mouth feels that span the spectrum.

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A orange ruby copper color body. Off white head that looks amazingly creamy. Very sticky lacing.

I get a toffee, burnt caramel and hazelnut smell. Very delicious aromas coming through.

Vanilla, burnt caramel, hazelnut, some toffee mixing very well together. Quite delicious all around!

Medium to approaching on the thick side. Feels great in the mouth. Very light to barely any noticeable carbonation.

This is very drinkable! The taste, the body is just awesome. I wish I bought a few more of these.

I don't understand the decent reviews but this is a great beer to try.

4.36/5  rDev +29.8%

A-Pours a slightly hazy gold, with one of the most beautiful white heads I have ever laid eyes upon. So beautiful it is hard to even take a sip because I know it will disturb it. The head leaves some nice lacing and cascading.

S-Caramel, licorice, toffee, and a nice balance between hops and malts.

T-Caramel, hint of toffee and licorice. Slightly more malty than hoppy. It has a really good flavor and is very refreshing.

M-Thick and creamy. It is sensational.

D-Its low abv., appearance, taste, and mouthfeel make this a true session beer. I could drink this all day.

Overall, this is a great beer. I absolutely love it. I hope to drink more in the future.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Pours an amber color with a two-finger head that looks nice in my pint glass.

Aroma is smooth, sweet and creamy. Like sniffing a container of heavy cream.

Taste is smooth and creamy with a bit of bitterness upfront followed by smooth grain. Very easy to drink.

Creaminess lingers in the mouth followed by the sweet and grainy texture and mild bitterness. Beer goes down very easily and the creaminess is much desired.

It certainly lives up to its' name. The nitro can helps this style and it certainly is a good example. Not your dad's Genny Cream Ale though.

Wexford Irish Cream Ale from Greene King / Morland Brewery