Wexford Irish Cream Ale | Greene King / Morland Brewery

Style: Cream Ale

Added by Mitchster on 01-24-2002

Reviews: 343 | Ratings: 617
2.94/5  rDev -12.2%

Irish cream ale in a can. Sounds good at least. Pours real nice. I am a sucker for nitro cans though. Looks great nice rich amber and red tones. Gold underneath. No aroma at all. Slight butter. No trace of hops. Very nice mouthfeel. Just wish it had more character.

BEEN TO WEXFORD NOT GOING BACK

3.69/5  rDev +10.1%

(mark as my first review. here goes...)

Poured vigorously into a mug from the nitro-can while sitting at home.

a- Pours a copper orange with lots of nice tiny bubbles that settle at the top for a very nice creamy thick off white head. Definitely a product of the widget, but still very pleasing.

s- Bready malt and faint apple cider/ caramel sweet smell. Unfortunate metallic presence too. Overall not very compelling.

t- Much like the smell here but thankfully no detectable metallic taste. I can definitely feel the "cream" here now. I'm not sure how this was brewed but it feels lactose-y, similar to Sam Adams' "Cream Stout" in that. Not exactly complex for the taste buds to explore, but pleasing.

m- Quite nice and smooth with a creamy thickness. I love this feeling. Probably my favorite part about this beer.

d- Smooth, simple. Nothing overwhelms and might seem a bit bland. But this is a beer I can respect for the right kind of occasion. I'm interested in getting the opinions of my non beer-drinking friends. (but anyone who "doesn't drink beer" simply hasn't tried enough, right?)

Bottom line: nothing exceptional except a thick creamy mouthfeel I haven't encountered in many other beers. This one should be easy to come across too.

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

I watched the bartender pour the beer completely wrong, but oh well. The first thing you notice is the nice, foamy, creamy head that retains itself through the entire drink. The lacing is impressive as it coats the entire glass. The of the ale is a dark copper, initially cloudy, but then relatively clear.

The scent is weak, probably because it is masked by the thick head. There is a slight sweetness with a malty background. The taste is different, a burnt malt taste with a bitter finish. It is completely smooth with a medium to heavy body.

Overall, it was a decent beer. Something that would go well with a heavy dinner, but I wouldn't drink it outside of that.

3.33/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Coppery color with a 2-finger nitro head. The cascade affect took place rather quickly, not hanging around. Creamy, lacy head reminiscent of freshly-whipped egg whites. Head didn't stick around or hold like I thought it was going to. (Updating my review, and the next can, a couple of days later, poured much better and retained it's 1-finger creamy head until the glass was empty.)

S: Fairly sweet, malty, bready aromas that reminded me a bit of mild banana bread.

T: A bit sweet on the palate with minor slightly bitter hop notes that aren't enough to balance out the sweetness of the bready malt. (Update: This isn't supposed to be hoppy though, and the malts should dominate.)

M: Relatively light and slightly off-balance, with a slightly bitter drying note to the finish.

D: I suppose sitting around, one could fairly easily drink several of these, although it's not one to really sit there and think about, or really enjoy. I have 3-more nitro-cans and suppose I'll finish them off over the next couple of weeks. Maybe one will be used to make a loaf of beer bread?

3.81/5  rDev +13.7%

14.9 oz nitro can into 16 ounce mug.

Pours a clear copper brew with that nitro can super head which settles into a 1/2 inch ivory head. Several drinks in and the head is still there. There is more going on here than lacing...more like a foam coating on the sides of my mug.

Not suprisingly, a sweet cream aroma burst through.

Taste like sweet cream and vanilla. Mild and mellow flavors.

The best part of this beer is the feel. The head is so creamy and smooth, you could decorate a cake with it. Smooth, mellow, silky, creamy.

I'm impressed with this beer. Great dessert beer!

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was somewhat dissapointed by this brew. I had it at a pub on-tap the other day and at first glance, it looked apealing. I could barely finish the pint. There was just something about it that was wrong. It did have a nice malt taste but other than that, there wasn't a whole lot of flavor, and the finish was bitter in a bad way. You'd do yourself a favor by having a better Cream Ale.

4.19/5  rDev +25.1%

A - Milky White, latte-like head. Above average carbonation. Very attractive.

S - I didn't get a whole lot off the smell on this one.

T - Exceptional. I don't know why I liked this one so much, but I have to admit it was totally outstanding (in every sense of the word.) Honestly, I don't like many irish red beers, but this one is a keeper.

M - This brew left little or no aftertaste and no oil slick mouthfeel, but somehow still retained loads of character.

D - I could definately see relaxing with a few of these. Of course, not too many, but a few.

All in all, I couldn't have been more pleased with this beer.

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

A cloudy pour slowly rises to reveal an amber colored ambrosia with a fine-bubbled cream head.

smells faintly of malt, with a slight tang.

it's not fancy. it starts smooth, rolls around the mouth smooth, goes down smooth, fades away smoooth. it's creamy and a little malty; not a trace of hops to be had. a definite no-brainer one-trick pony flavorwise. you won't be thrown into a philosophical tizzy unwinding the complex interaction between complex isomers with this one. it's just... smooth.

draining the glass yields fine clinging bubbles; common with the brews found in widget-equipped cans, I suppose.

this is pure nectar to my tastebuds. epitome of a session beer. I could easily drink this until I fell asleep in a puddle of my own drool with a hand clasped around the pint that finally did me in. (if only I could get Kilkenny in the US I could hold my own personal taste-off.)

3.86/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from nitro-can into an imperial pint glass. Comes out a thick, rich foam that takes a good 10 seconds to start breaking down. As the foam settles you see a beautiful cascade of foam as it breaks down into beer. The beer itself is a beautiful clear brownish orange color, and the foam a slight yellow in color. Superb head retention on this ale. Even toward the end of the glass there is a good half-finger of creamy foam atop the beer.

The smell is very bready and sweet with a touch of lemony tartness behind it. Not much else to note.

The taste is definitely bready, almost with a bit of rye. Any hops in here are solely for bittering, as there is nothing up front but a nice mild bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy for such a clear-looking beer. It's nice and thick-feeling.

Drinkability is high. It goes down easy and has a wonderful bitter aftertaste. Very thirst-quenching, in my opinion.

Overall I'm quite happy with this one. I'd walked past these cans for months and finally decided to try it. I wasn't disappointed.

3.16/5  rDev -5.7%

Draught flow can into a pint glass:
A: Draughtflow makes a nice cascading head, as expected, not quite as thick as I thought it should be, but my pour was a little weird.
S: Sweet straw and not much else.
T: A sweet creamy front gives way to a not entirely pleasant bitter finish.
M: Creamy and coats the mouth.
D: I could drink a bunch of these, wouldn't necessarily seek it out again though.

4.29/5  rDev +28.1%

Appearance: This beer is a brownish tan very creamy and thick looking. poured with a great thick white head loved it.

Smell: just a simple beer smell hops barley a bit floral.

Taste: I loved this beers flavor a very smooth very balanced nice hops flavor. a little floral like th smell.

Mouthfeel: This beer is has an Ideal feel for me very creamy and thick. Great carbonation.

Drinkablilty: I could drink many of these, very good beer I was surprised it didn't have a higher average rating.

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

I find this beer to be quite favorable in just about any situation. It is a smooth easy drinking beer and very welcoming to the palate.

I had this from a nitro can to a very nice Swedish glass mug.
While the style of cream ale is traditionally American and tends to be more on the honey colored lager side this has a very Irish red hue to it by comparison. Perhaps that's why it is an "Irish Cream Ale". It is pretty clear and has a nice head that laces the glass magnificently.

The smell does give off a bit of the traditional Irish ale smell a bit hoppy but not overly bitter. It's aroma is well balanced and one does not find himself over powered by any one scent. It is good to let this one breath just a little bit to bring out some more of the flavors.

The taste is also well balanced. It has some hop flavor but again nothing that is usually as strong as a traditional Irish ale and so it tends to be more on the cream ale side of things. Perhaps some traces of vanilla.

Light carbonation on this can. It's mouthfeel is actually a little on the creamy side. It goes down smooth and is very easily complimented.

3.34/5  rDev -0.3%

A- It pours a milk chocolate color, then it has the cascade effect where it turns to a deep brown color.
S- Kinda hoppy not much aroma
T- Toasted malts,a little bread flavor
M- Really creamy, has a slight bitter finish to it.
O- It's not bad but I think that there are better nitro beers out there.

2.96/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- This beer pours beautifully, with an inch of head and a nice amber body
S- Extremely malty, with small hints of prunes. Alcohol is slightly present which seems odd at 5% abv
T- Again, the malt is completely dominant. There is a slight hint of earthy hops, but the alcohol mentioned in smell is not apparent.
M- Dry and light, this beer comes off a bit flat.
O- I probably wouldn't try this beer again, but it wasn't all that bad and the joy I get out of watching the bubbles due to the nitro can makes up for it's mediocrity.

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

This is e beer i drink quite a bit of at my local bar. It pours a clear amber, after the nitro action calms down, with a nice creamy head. Low in carbonation, it needs to be cold, its incredibly drinkable, very smooth and creamy.It lacks much complexity, slight fruits in the nose for me, but nothing amazing. I enjoy this beer when im just sitting at the bar shooting the breeze, a quality standby

2.74/5  rDev -18.2%

Irish cream Ale brewed in the UK.

A- A transparent orange with red hues. Very refreshing after most Irish ales are very dark or black.

S- Very mellow and mild. Faint hints of cream.

T- Mellow and mild throughout. A slight finish of bitterness, like Guinness or Boddington's.

M- Full and creamy

D- It's decent. Not my favorite Irish Ale, but i wouldn't turn a free pint of her away.

All-in-all not bad beer by any means. I just wish it was creamier, like a Pete's Wanderlust or maybe like a smooth taste of Irish cream. Ale drinkers might like this, but then again I guess that's what you can expect when the UK brews an Irish traditional Ale. Ouch!

4.46/5  rDev +33.1%

Clean slightly sweet aroma. Copper in color with a consistent white head. Flavor is slightly sweet and tart, with a balanced bitterness, and a noble hop flavor. Creamy nitrous infused brew that goes down smooth anytime. A great session brew ! I'd drink a lot more of this beer if it wasn't around $ 3.00 a can at my local. I LOVE IT!!!

3.84/5  rDev +14.6%

The rating I gave this beer is from when I had it on nitro-tap down at Deep Ellum. However, I've had it from a can as well and will throw in my thoughts about that.

From the nitro-tap, the appearance is beautiful, with the typical nitro cascading effect leaving a thick head that stays with the beer almost the whole way through. Not much scent to the beer. Very, very smooth taste and feel, with slight bitterness. Overall a very drinkable beer and great for really any occasion.

As far as the nitro-can offering, it leaves more to be desired. You get much more of a tinny taste up front, which really detracts from the smoothness of the beer. It also feels a bit thinner than the nitro-tap version. It is still a good beer for a can and would be in my fridge with other nitro-cans like Tetley's or Boddington's, but it really can't be compared with the nitro-tap version.

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

Well, those nitro can beers are really impressive in appeareance, but they lose in their lack of complexity and mildness. This one was supposed to be a ultra-creamy beer, but it doesn't work. The nitrogen gives a good start, but after that the beer shows itself soapy, quite poor and over-bittered. It doesn't seem to be an ale, complex, fruity, etc... It didnĀ“t impress me anyway.

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

I enjoyed this one immensely,it looked great,poured very well,and was easy drinking.The only problem I had with it was the taste,which IMHO was bland or maybe flat would be a better word.I would love to try it again,but at 11 dollars for a 4 pack where I got it,I am forced to buy it sparingly...

4.42/5  rDev +31.9%

A very flavorful cream stout but I find it odd that it is an Irish cream stout and yet it's brewed in England. It has an excellent pour with an impressive head. Very creamy texture and very golden color. Wonderfully flavored with a distinctive sweet note to it.

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%

I love creamy ales. I love nitro pours. I love the fact that the thing in the beer can that creates this is called a widget. I love watching the beer swirl around and generate a giant fluffy white head that reminds me more of a latte than a lager. The Wexford pours a light amber, with a thick, off-white nitro head, that leaves mild lacing along the sides of the glass as I sip. The scent is sweet, mild, and maybe a little malty. The first thing I notice isn't taste as much as the overall feeling this beer has. It is slippery and smooth and creamy and feels like dessert. It tastes very mild, almost buttery. I heart it.

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

A - pours a dark gold, almost amber with 2 fingers of creamy head. Lots of foamy lacing.

S - not a lot to be had. Average pub cream ale smell.

T - I bought a 4-pack of this because it looked and sounded an awful lot like Boddington's, which I love. It's actually even better. While Boddington's is almost too smooth, this has a nice body with just a touch of bitterness.

M - Creamy and smooth. Nothing not to like. Then again, nothing 'over-the-top' impressive.

D - Again, smooth and quite drinkable. Nothing especially noteworthy but still quite good!

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass. Appearance is a deep goldenrod, almost orange even. As usual with nitro cans, head separates from the liquid immediately, with soothing waves of fine bubbles flowing upwards from the bottom. Head color is just barely off-white. Nice creamy white lacing which takes forever and a day to settle.

Smell is... a little bit of nothing, a hint of fruit but an overwhelming scent of.... old, that's the only way I can describe it.

Taste-- there's not a whole lot there, more flavor than a macro but less than many other cream ales. Malty at first, the vaguest taste of caramel and a slightly hoppy finish that increases towards the end of the beer.

I personally like the nitro mouthfeel, very smooth but not quite to the level of being flat. Beer flows down the throat very smoothly and easily. I feel like with a tad more flavor this could be a quite good beer.

Drinkability is good; could have many of these in a night.

This brew has a bit of sentimental value for me, it reminds me of sophomore year of college, but then again, I also feel like I shouldn't appreciate an English brew that claims to be Irish. All in all, a very drinkable beer, I would have it again if available, although it might not be my first choice.

3.86/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for nitro cans. I'm also a sucker for a sexy looking beer, and thus, I'm a fan of Wexford. If you see the can and expect a Guiness style beer, this isn't it. This is not a Irish Stout, it's a Irish Cream Ale and it's damn good. This beer is smooth, very drinkable and has a mild yet full flavored taste. I would recommend this beer to anyone. It's a very high quality brew.

Wexford Irish Cream Ale from Greene King / Morland Brewery