Old Speckled Hen | Greene King / Morland Brewery

Added by Quaffer on 10-23-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,118 |  Reviews: 936

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A nice orange brown when held up to the sun. Because of the nitro ball it poured a thick creamy of white head, not very tall though, and has heavy lacing.

Smell: Smells slightly skunk, with a hint of molasses and grains.

Taste: Has a nice malty backbone with hints of caramel and molasses. Really taste a biscuity/ bread flavor. Has a slight sour flavor at the end which really throws me off.

Mouthfeel: I imagine its because of the nitro ball but it is verging on the level of thickness of a milkshake. Surprisingly extremely pleasing.

Overall: Very good beer and looks beautiful in a glass but the sourness at the end of the sip becomes cloying towards the end of the glass. I imagine it would be great to pair this beer with steak. Definitely couldn't finish the four pack I have in a night or even probably a week, it has too much going on to be anything more than a sipper through the night.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%

Old Speckled Hen - I saw this english ale, had it before months ago and finally rated it

Appearance - A nice deep dark red to brown, I really enjoy this color that really appealed to the taste

Smell - The smell is sub par on this one. To me it is just alcohol with a hint of molasses

Taste - I did enjoy that complex grassy/earthy taste. It is almost vaguley sweet with a mild to rich aftertaste that seems to change every so often

Mouthfeel - A good amout of carbonation that helps it along and gives it a satisfying flavor

Overall - I enjoyed this beer, but it is almost too much like a india pale ale and not my daily drinker. This would good with a steak or a fine saucy meal

1.75/5  rDev -49.3%

2.3/5  rDev -33.3%

A: A very pretty color, I don't know if I've ever seen another beer that looks like it. A pale ruby and copper with a thin white head.

S: Skunky, slightly smoky, burnt marshmallows. Not pleasing.

T: Light hops, skunk, mild sweetness, peanuts, toffee.

M: Thin, light, refreshing in a way. High carbonation.

O: Not my favorite. A friend showed up with six of these. This is the first and maybe the last. She thought I would like it.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

7/1/2012

Nitro can poured into a snifter. Thanks, Mike! I guess I should have used an imperial pint glass. Too late.

A: A cloudy nitro pour with a slow rising clarity. The body is dark amber with a thick and creamy beige head that never fades.

S: Caramel and bready malt with a touch of metal. Surprisingly fruity, with banana, apple, and pear. There's some earthy hop notes with toffee. The more I smell this the more it seems stale. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by that, but I think it's an accurate description.

T: Rich caramel presence with toasted biscuit malt notes. Low earthy bitterness. The beer is pretty estery, with a little banana and apple.

M: Medium body with a great creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: A strange beer, but not without merit. I wasn't expecting such a firm ester profile.

3.52/5  rDev +2%

On hand pump at Teresa's. Dark amber with huge creamy pinkie width white head. Tons of lace here. Great head retention. Faint malts here in the nose, caramel stands out. Creamy feel, smooth caramel malts, good flavors and a bit understated in terms of flavor, but made up for in feel. Good drinking ale here, good stuff.

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.21/5  rDev -7%

A- pours a moderate copper color with a fluffy head that rapidly dissipates. Looks pretty appetizing sitting in a pint glass,
S- a bit weak, caramel malts dominate the aroma.
T-caramel Malta hit up front, with an overall buttery tone that particularly comes out in the aftertaste. A bit of a metallic undertone as well.
M- medium body, pleasantly high amOunts of carbonation.
O- if drink ability were still a factor, it would get top marks in this category. Overall it's a very pleasant, simple beer that is best enjoyed while relaxing on the back patio outside, as I am doing right now.

1.25/5  rDev -63.8%