Crank Yanker IPA | Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery

Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery
Colorado, United States
eddylinepub.com

Style: American IPA

Like your favorite single track, this IPA has it all! An insanely drinkable IPA, with enough maltiness to balance the incredible citrus aromoa and hop finish. You’ll be racing back for another! 2014 World Beer Championship Silver Medal.

Added by indiapaleale on 01-11-2012

1.67/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

bought a 6 pack of tallboy cans a month ago at the suggestion of a "friend"
poured from 16 oz can into a pint glass
poured flat
no head almost no bubbles
minimal taste or hoppiness at all
slight bitter aftertaste
light color bland taste
very disappointed
but tried again the next day with same result
life is too short to drink bad beer but i used the other 4 cans to cook brats with
wouldnt buy again

1.91/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #64 (May 2012):

LOOK: Clear pale amber, thin lacing

SMELL: Earthy, musty, peppery, woody, fallen apricots, vegetal

TASTE: Wet, orange pith, chalky, vegetal, earthy, funky, wet pile of dead leaves, astringent finish

You'd expect a 7.8-percent, 75-IBU can of IPA with “go big” and “epic malt, epic hops” on the label to be all that. Not the case here. This is an extremely unbalanced beer with some of the oddest malt and hop flavors in recent years. Nothing works. Our palates are left disappointed, confused and ruined.

1.96/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Having a draught version at a bar in Colorado Springs. Nice color, but almost no head and difficult to detect taste of hops. I agree with the Brothers.

2.24/5  rDev -37.8%

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

Cloudy. I ended up pouring it out.

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I really enjoyed this beer a few years ago but apparently didn't rate it at that time. I thought I had.
So, I just logged in to see what my rating was. I had intended to modify it downward quite a lot.
Note that, at one time, I had been drinking this fairly regularly at both tap rooms in Buena Vista where
Eddyline is located as well as in cans from my local Front Range retailer.
Then, I noticed that the Alstrom Bros also gave it a poor review, so anyhow here it is:

Look, smell: They're fine although aroma is not hop forward at all nor floral.

But, taste & feel? Nope. Something's amiss, folks. Comes across "industrial" and with a harsh aftertaste. I think
the Alstrom Bros called it "unbalanced" which is probably generous.

Personally, it's a shame because I live near their brewery for a good portion of the year.

2.87/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

3.06/5  rDev -15%

3.09/5  rDev -14.2%

16oz can into a shaker pint

A – Comes out quite foamy, head is gigantic and off white. Settles in the glass, body is a dark orange haze.

S – Strong on the caramel malt notes, some orange and pint notes come through from the hops.

T – More sweet orange and citrus notes here, hops a pretty subdued.

M – Pretty thick for the style, carbonation seems to be on the low side. Not terribly easy to drink here.

O – Okay for the style, nice that it comes in the 16oz can but it's a lot to get through with how thick and sweet this one is.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served into a tulip glass from the can. Props to the brewery for the artwork on their can. Plus, how can you resist a name like Crank Yanker?

Anyway, pours a medium amber color with a fingers worth of off-white foam that dissipated quickly. Left a thin foam ring and some decent lacing. Doesn't seem very carbonated on the pour. Fairly clear compared to some IPA's I've tried lately.

On the nose, citrus. Overpowering at first, like putting your nose in a glass of OJ or grapefruit juice. After a swirl or two, bready notes and a very mild pine-hop not come through. I guess I was expecting more.

First taste, grapefruit notes from the hops, a little more sweetness that I prefer and a small hop/pine note at the end. My first thought is "this isn't really an IPA", more like most of the pales I've tried.

Mouthfeel was light to medium and drying with very little carbonation.

Overall, not what I was expecting but not a drain-pour either. It's drinkable and refreshing although a little drier on the finish than I prefer. The more IPAs I drink, the more hop-presence I seem to prefer and this one is not on that level. But, if someone offered me one of these from their cooler or fridge, I'd be happy to knock it down. As easy as this drinks, it could be session-able. Maybe a good gateway IPA from someone trying to get into the IPA styles (IPA, IIPA, etc.)

Glass empty... Cheers!

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Crank Yanker IPA from Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery