Irish Stout | The Ruddy Duck Brewery And Grill

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by ThisWangsChung on 12-29-2011

Reviews by ThisWangsChung:
3.04/5  rDev -10.9%

In my visit to Ruddy Duck, I made sure to sample some of their beers. Keep in mind that I'm reviewing a 2oz sample, so take my review with a grain of salt.

A: The body was an almost perfect pitch black, while the head on my sample sucked. But the head on my friend Andy's (full pint) glass was beautiful, and huge. Unfortunately, our server was a little new, so it ended up being too huge, likely due to an overly aggressive pour. Lacing was infuriatingly high, which means it was excellent.

S: Little bit of roast up front, but not much else. What was there at least smelled nice.

T: Again, the smell dictated what would follow on the tongue. There was some nice roastiness, alongside some coffee and a tiny bit of chocolate. It wasn't strong in flavor at all, but it was pleasant overall.

M: Very creamy and smooth, but somewhat watery. That's a problem I seem to find in a lot of these Irish stouts. Low-ish carbonation and very easy to drink, but not quite as dry on the finish as one would expect.

O: I won't say it's a mindblowingly great beer, but it was pretty solid overall. I imagine it would pair well with the food Ruddy Duck offers.

3.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

As with every experience I have at The Ruddy Duck, the food is the star and the beer is like a nice supplement. This stout looks, smells, and tastes like what you probably think the average Irish Dry Stout looks, smells, and tastes like. It does it all solidly, but doesn't leave much to remember. The feel is pretty light, but I liked that as my meal was filling enough as it was that I don't want a beer that's too heavy.

Irish Stout from The Ruddy Duck Brewery And Grill