Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Berliner Weisse | White Birch Brewing

New Hampshire, United States
whitebirchbrewing.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

Our approach was to brew this beer with Lactobacilius for a refreshing and authentic interpretation of a classic summer refresher.

Added by barleywinebrewer on 06-22-2010

4.85/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: In a red wine glass. Orangy-gold with a quickly disapating white head. Clear.
Smell: Mott's apple juice, wine grapes, white wine fruitiness; lemon zest, hard cider, sugary table grapes. Roses. Not sure if that gumball is from the wheat.
Taste: Lemon juice, white wine vinegar, shredded wheat cereal. Raisins in the middle. apple on the end and in the aftertaste. A biting acidity. Salivating.
Feel: Prickly, fine. Featherweight, refreshment. A bit like pop rocks candy.
Overall: If blindfolded, I don't know that I would guess that this is beer. And I don't think that's a bad thing.
It's a bit more complex than most of the American versions of this style that I've had and I think that's coming from the dried fruit flavors on the back of the palatte. This feels complete and balanced even with the acidity. Can't imagine pouring fruit syrup into this.
But does that make it less true to style?
Will drink again.

4.82/5  rDev +31.7%

This is easily one of the best session beers I have ever had, hands down. Served cold and poured into my new White Birch glass, this one was consumed on 07/25/2010.

Pours out a bright golden color with a huge amount of cloudiness to it. Barely can see through this to the other side but ample carbonation did continue to stream up throughout the session. Little head of white on top settles down quickly leading only mild lacing on the glass, but a really nice look overall.

Aroma drops me to my knees. Wonderfully crisp, clean, tart aroma quickly fills the air. Hints of apples, light touches of citrus, a light bready note all combine to form this crisp, clean profile that cuts through the 105 degree air around me. Then I take the first sip and all bets are off. This is simply a marvelous beer to behold. I cannot say enough how clean this is. Wonderful tart green apples blending with hints of light orange peel and lemon. Herbal grasses fill the profile mid palate and give it that depth but flowery notes keep it light and airy. Super quick, clean and dry finish leaves a tart flavor on the tongue that will not go away. So light and refreshing I melted into a chair (mostly from the heat) but this was just so session able I was beside myself.

Overall simply amazing, one of the best I have ever come across hands down, I would love to be able to have this all the time, but on these hot days, it is a must.

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

I've been trying a great deal of sours lately including a few varieties of Berliners.

Pours a light yellow with some haze and a bright white head that doesn't last. Sure looks like a summertime brew!

Smell is reminiscent of plain yogurt with lemons and tart green apples and some mild funk.

Taste is sharp and tart with some citrus and bread notes. The sourness hits quickly with zero bitterness and finishes smooth and dry.

This is so, so, so drinkable. I am shocked this weighs in at close to 6.5.

This is a fantastic representation, and one of the best "sour beers" that I've had. White Birch is producing some amazing brews, with the only downside being the high pricepoint that is typically associated with quality small batch brewing.

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Presentation: Batch One, bottle 729. Poured from the bottle into my Allagash white glass. This is the fourth time I have grabbed a couple bottles of this beer. Very excited to see more on the shelf when I went to the store today.

Appearance: Yellowish white in color and hazy throughout. No much sediment floating around, just a solid haze. Pours a two finger white fizzy head taht recedes into nothing within seconds.

Aroma: Tart lemon and green apples are strong in the nose. A pronouced barnyard funk there as well. Even some bananna notes hidden in there too.

Taste: Immediately sour lemon rushes forth and takes charge. The lacto gives this nice barnyard muskiness to the brew. Tart green apples fill this out to make this a nicely balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and crisp. Stays refreshing throughout.

Drinkability: Even with the elevated ABV for the style, I find this to be one of the more drinkable brews I've had. By that I mean that I could easily see having three of these with laying in the sun. The refreshment factor here puts it over the top.

Overall, a great interpretation of this style and an immediate favorite summer beer for me. This is my sixth or seventh bottle already and I plan on having more. Highly recommended.

4.64/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Severely crushable. I waited a while to rate this one - the first year was amazingly sour, the following year there was some funky stuff going on and the last two years White Birch has nailed their process down. This beer is one you could drink all day - it's bright, light and has a great balance of sour and citrus... carbonated to perfection so you're not burping it up all afternoon. Amazing.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've never had a Berliner Weisse before, so it was hard for me to rate this. I was looking for a beer equivalent for a pre-dinner dry champagne, and I think this fit the bill just fine.

Appearance: cloudy straw colored. Some carbonation, not overly spritzy but not subdued either. Was served in a pilsner glass which accentuated the color and the bubbling.

Aroma: it smelled sour, but was not offensive. It had some tart fruit (lemons, etc) and a wheaty smell.

Taste: it was tart, but not over the top, not as tart as other sour beers I've had. Not as tart as sweet-tart candies, for example; it didn't make us pucker up. The wheat backbone gave a nice earthy base that balanced the other flavors of lemon and candied orange peel before those mellowed out and the tartness subsided. It tasted dry, like a dry yeasty champagne.

Mouthfeel: it was light, but surprisingly complex. It's not filling and easy to drink.

Overall: the 22-oz bottle is a little much for one person, find a friend with some cheese and crackers and enjoy a little happy hour.

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thank you Suzanne for sending me this one!!

A - Pours an opaque pale yellow with a little head.

S - Smells great! Sour lemons and oranges hit first along with wheat and funk.

T - Tastes of tart lemons and citrus, not as tart as i'd like it to be but it's still great. I can definitely taste the wheat in the background.

M - What I love is after each sip I'm waiting to pucker from the tartness but it never comes. Some sour is good but I am not a fan of so much sour that it makes my cheeks hurt. This is very well balanced and very refreshing.

D - My first beer from White Birch and I can't wait to try more. I would definitely drink more of this if I could get my hands on it. Not my favorite berliner weisse but it is a great attempt at one.

4.59/5  rDev +25.4%

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.
Batch One, Bottle count 1164, 6.8% ABV, Bottled Marhc 2012. "Our ales are unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Best served at 50-55°F in your favorite glass."

Thanks to Rocheford10nh, celeriac, and Wisrarebeer for bottles of this!!

A - Totally hazed through pale yellow beer pours into the glass, forming a tall could-white head which froths up loosely then sinks right back down due to the acidity. The glass is void of any lace or foam.

S - Completely unique upon first whiff, there's a strong sour wet wheat that's powerful in the nose, erupting into the air with a potent presence. Wood chips and pale malts come through while hops are rather absent. Sour nose with some good acidity.

T - Sharp lemony citrus opens the flavor and lingers through with a sour bite of acidity and wet, strong wheat. Pale malt is subtle, letting the wheat do most of the work, but this earthy flavored beer finishes out with an acidic kick.

M - Highly carbonated, White Birch's Berliner Weisse is pretty dang refreshing due to it's nicely balanced feel; a finish that has a great tart acidity and sour bite on the tongue, all while remaining smooth.

O - Highly drinkable and refreshing, White Birch's Berliner Weisse is the perfect refresher for a hot summer day, or delicious sour power for any other time. It's well-balanced and nicely sour without being too mouth-puckering. It's easy to see why this is a style that's getting much more attention.

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Received from Cuzco (Nate) in the Blind Beer #3 BIF. Thanks Nate!!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Poured very cloudy, extremely pale yellow, with a fizzy head that was gone before I sat down the glass, kinda like club soda.

One whiff and you know it's a berliner weisse. Sour notes, lactic sour. No malt or hop aromas. Aside from the lactic sourness, a very clean, almost chaulky note in the aroma.

First sip is sour, tart, mouth puckering. Quite a punch. Some lemon tartness, and an alkalinity like club soda.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, very prickly from the carbonation. After the first sip, I don't feel like my mouth is going to cave in from the sourness.

Highly drinkable beer. This would be fantastic on a hot summer afternoon, sitting in an outdoor cafe in the city, watching all the pretty people wish they were drinking my beer. Alcohol is a little high for the style, but it really doesn't come through.

4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Batch 1
Bottle 1404 of 1458

Poured from 1Pt. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear pale yellow with a slight haze. A finger of foamy white head that dissipated quickly from my glass and left no lacing but was quite bubbly.

The smell is a bit funky at first, some sour flavor leads into a white grape flavor with a small touch of currants. Some slight green apple flavor is there as well with some slight bitter hop flavor just in the back.

The taste has a slight sour grape or apple flavor and reminds me slightly of white wine. There is a good fruity tartness that has a wiggling sourness that makes me pucker but makes me want more. There a nice sweet flavor that is a little like sugar but may come from the malts that gives this beer a nice zing. Sour patch kids come to mind, a sugary sweetness with a sour flavor as well.

The feel of this beer seems light but it's complex flavor seems to be handled with two hands. There is a lot to pay attention to in this beer and can go unnoticed if you are not looking hard enough.

Berliner Weisse from White Birch Brewing