Berliner Weisse | White Birch Brewing

New Hampshire, United States
whitebirchbrewing.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

Our approach was to brew this beer with Lactobacilius for a refreshing and authentic interpretation of a classic summer refresher.

Added by barleywinebrewer on 06-22-2010

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Steady. In a can. Nice lawnmower beer.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%

2.78/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this one after a few hoppy beers. Very tart!

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of White Birch's Berliner Weisse a couple weeks ago for $5.49 at The Lager Mill. I enjoy a good Berliner Weisse and I thought I should give this one a try while having my first beer from White Birch, lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a teku.

A- The Label looks ok, it's got some good information, but it isn't the most eye catching. It poured a cloudy golden orange color with half a fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't really leave any lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I wish the head, retention and lacing were better.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that has a light honey like aroma to it with a fruity apple cider aroma being the first to show up along with some other fruits showing up in the background like some white grapes. Up next comes some bready and slightly grainy malts with some pale malt aromas showing up in the background. This beer has a nice aroma.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but this time it's a little lighter and it starts off with a lower amount of medium honey sweetness with a lower amount of medium tartness being the first to show up and it leads into the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are good amount lighter this time. Towards the end the fruits show up and they are a little lighter than they were in the aroma with the tartness lingering a little into the aftertaste along with a slightly fruity and slightly grainy malt aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I thought the flavors were just a little light for the style.

M- Smooth, slightly refreshing, a little crisp, on the thick side of being being light bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is ok, but I wish there was more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but when it came to the taste it was just a little lighter than I wanted and I found myself wishing that it had more flavor with a little more tartness. This beer has decent drinkability, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I might start to get bored with it if I have more than that. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the carbonation, I just thought it was too low for the style, especially when the brewery states on the label that it's suppose to be Champagne like. I might buy this beer again, if I couldn't find a better example of the style, but it for sure wouldn't be my first choice. I can't say it's a must try beer, but if you really like the style and want something on the lighter side then it might be worth a try. All in all I liked it, but it was rough around the edges, it has some potential, but it needs some work and I think putting fruit in it might be the way to go to make the flavor a little more interesting. It made for a decent first impression of this Brewery, I will be interested in trying more of their beer, but I think it's right around average for the style. Solid job guys, but with a little work I think this could be a pretty good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pale hazy amber body with bubbly white head. Not a lot of retention or lacing

S - very sour, orange, grapefruit, and spices

T - big sour citrus, apricots, and grape. Some spices and earthiness in the aftertaste

M - medium/light body with light fine carbonation.

O - this was enjoyable. I'm just getting into sours recently so it's hard for me to compare. Good flavors but could possibly be more complex and have more body

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've never had a Berliner Weisse before, so it was hard for me to rate this. I was looking for a beer equivalent for a pre-dinner dry champagne, and I think this fit the bill just fine.

Appearance: cloudy straw colored. Some carbonation, not overly spritzy but not subdued either. Was served in a pilsner glass which accentuated the color and the bubbling.

Aroma: it smelled sour, but was not offensive. It had some tart fruit (lemons, etc) and a wheaty smell.

Taste: it was tart, but not over the top, not as tart as other sour beers I've had. Not as tart as sweet-tart candies, for example; it didn't make us pucker up. The wheat backbone gave a nice earthy base that balanced the other flavors of lemon and candied orange peel before those mellowed out and the tartness subsided. It tasted dry, like a dry yeasty champagne.

Mouthfeel: it was light, but surprisingly complex. It's not filling and easy to drink.

Overall: the 22-oz bottle is a little much for one person, find a friend with some cheese and crackers and enjoy a little happy hour.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%