White Birch Hooksett Ale

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
White Birch Hooksett AleWhite Birch Hooksett Ale
Notes: Inspired by our love of Belgian ales and hoppy West Coast ales. We bring Cascade and Columbus hops together with our house yeast for a smooth Belgian style hopfest. Best when fresh, this beer is not intended for aging.
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 160 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Orbfan:
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Bomber bottle poured into a stemmed tulip glass. Pours a hazy, rusty orange with moderate white foam that sticks around for quite a while. The aroma is of ripe citrus - especially orange along with spicy Belgian yeast and a hint of tartness. Orange and yeasty flavors dominate the palate with a slight hint of pine as it finishes dry and bitter. Bright, sparkly carbonation with a medium body - not too thick and not too light. Tastes like a hoppy tripel and boy is it fantastic! So far all brews I've had from this brewery have been fantastic!

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

22oz Bomber
A) Pours with a finger thick beige head with great retention. Tight and sticky lacing on the drink down. Murky copper-amber in color. Some sediment.
S) Bright floral notes. Sweet citrus notes - apricot, hints of peach.
T) Malty sweet up front then a bold and bitter hop finish. Toasty. Subtle nuttiness. Grassy and leafy in the finish. Lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.
M) Fizzy, yet creamy. Medium body. Strong tannins and dry in the finish.
O) A delicious IPA. Didn't pick up on any Belgian characteristics but the "Belgian" could also be in the un-obvious characteristics.
I'd definitely would drink another one.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to Paul (pmlondrigan) for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a hazy tangerine color into my glass with over three fingers of off white/tan head achieved by a gentle pour. This head sticks around for quite some time leaving nice chunky lacing.

Smell - Lots of spicy and citrus hops, pine, white pepper, yeast.

Taste - I admit I normally do not like Belgian IPA's, but I feel that is because most I have had used a yeast strain that just didn't meld well with the beer. This is an exception, however. While hops were in the forefront of the nose, there is more of the Belgian flavors that make their mark first. Cloves, spicy pepper, a bubblegum-esque taste, and yeast. The hops come in after this initial kick, having less bitter/piney presence than I would have thought. A bit heavier on the floral notes.

Mouthfeel - Moderate bodied, fizzy champagne like champagne, finishes a hint dry. I like the excess carbonation. I think it adds to the beer.

Overall - An interesting beer, and one of the better I've had with this style. Glad I was able to try it!

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottled Feb. 2001, Batch One. Poured from 22oz into DFH snifter.

A: Pours a hazy deep orange/amber color with an off-white head. Strong pours yields little head, but there is some nice lacing going on.

S: The nose has some spicy hops, caramel malts and a bit of some citrus and piney resins.

D: The taste is as you would expect, the spicy hops hit you right up front and it's followed up almost immediately by the sweetness of the malts. There is some citrus backbone as well as the spicy hops hanging around throughout the finish.

M: Medium bodied with average carbonation. Spicy and citrusy feel throughout.

D: The only other beer from White Birch I had I was not impressed with. Decided to give them a shot again and I'm really impressed with this one. The beer is well balanced and has nice flavor and hardly any alcohol presence. I am going to have to give more of their beers a try after enjoying this one.

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Poured a slightly hazy amber color with a huge puff of off-white head...took a few minutes to settle before the bartender could actually serve me a full glass. Active and fizzy with carbonation. Citrusy hops in the nose, and plenty of fruit notes. Good taste, citrusy, piney, lots of hops, overlaid on a sweet malt base; fruit salad and a touch of spice detectable. Medium-bodied and quite enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a hazy dark honey golden color with a large fluffy head made of tiny tiny bubbles.

S: This is one of the most pleasant beers i've had the opportunity to smell. It is full of that nice fruity malty goodness, but well balanced by citrus and floral hops.

T: Taste is almost all hops. I get no malt that I picked up on the nose. Floral hops mostly, with a touch of grapefruit.

M: Light in body (surprisingly) with moderate carbonation. It is almost water-like in mouthfeel, though with this beer it doesn't detract from it too much.

D: The alcohol is well hidden and this beer is quite drinkable.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

Opposite of thanks to Alex for this one. Poured into plastic cup as to not taint the Narke tulip.

A - Pours a mirky orange color, thin collar, wisps.

S - Hops, yeast, sugary sweetness. Too sweet for a Belgian IPA...not really sure what they were going for here. That said, this is White Birch, so who knows what they're thinking.

T - Bitter hops, light citrus, funky yeasty malts. The sweetness isn't as bad as it is on the nose, but it's still too sweet. The bitterness is nice, and I would prefer less sweetness and more yeast and hops.

M - Too much body, good carbonation, creamy bitter finish.

O - I didn't really like this one at all. My pour was enough to let me know I won't be trying this again. I don't think I'd call this a Belgian IPA, but who knows what this beer could have originally been styled after. No thanks!

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%

batch 5, 7.3%, into fantome tulip.

A- Creamy, large-bubbled head that lays a nice ring around the glass. Settles out to a thick donut on a hazy orange body. Really nice pour.

S- Lots of Belgian yeast and fresh hops. Clove is heavy.

T- Bitterness is right up front, a bit of orange peel and some pine sap. Malt is nice and sweet and compliments the hops. Yeast backs off compared to the nose.

M- Chalky, as mentioned. Full-bodied, candy malt sweetness and a nice bitter finish. Almost gritty.

O- Pretty good stuff, I enjoy a good Belgian IPA and this is no exception. White Birch should focus on hoppy beers, they are tasty.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from 22 oz bomber, bottled 2/2011, Batch One, Bottle 1164....TMI? Maybe but pretty cool labeling that White Birch is doing.

I am very excited to get into the New White Birch lineup. I have the Quad in the cellar but saw this in the cooler at Ralph's Derby Street and had to have it.

A - Pour is a mahognay brown and is very turbid and hazy. Decent head.

S - I was told this was a hoppy beer and it is noticeable with a pine aroma.

T - Very nice. Good balance with a hint of brown sugar. It is a bit boozy. I am not considering this too hoppy.

D - Yes, drinkability! This is a very nice brew and could be done over an evening at home.

Overall, I will be keeping this in my regular rotation and am looking forward to other White Birch offerings.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

2.86/5  rDev -26.5%

As usual, thanks to Alex for this.

A - Golden amber colored beer with a small white head and not much stick on the sides.

S - Some citrus with a bit of yeast with some caramel sugar. Yeast is slightly harsh and phenolic. Hops are more of the earth variety and not particularly sweet.

T - This may be the best White Birch beer I've had, or if nothing else, the best one I can remember having. belgian IPAs are usually not great, an this is not great. Kind of herbal, bitter, generic malts, phenolic yeast, and gritty. That said I don't want to spit it out, so I'd say it's a winner for WB.

M - Gritty, medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - This was passable, which is amazing considering the source. Yeah, it's not good, but still better than expected.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep, thick orange with solid white lacing that clings to the tulip glass for the full duration. Smell is not overpowering or juicy by any stretch, more piney and resinous with heavy malt, bready smell.

The strength of this beer is the malt, vey chewy with fairy heavy body. I prefer to sip here styles of IPA over the standard versions. I would certainly buy again, but the Belgian tag is lost one me, more an American or perhaps English yeast strain to me.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%