White Birch Hop Session Ale | White Birch Brewing

White Birch Brewing
New Hampshire, United States
whitebirchbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Hop Session is in. Starting with a blend of west coast hops for a balanced, bitter effect. We close the session out by late hopping the beer for a nice resiny mouth feel.

Added by johnnnniee on 03-26-2011

Liked:
3.65/5
Alströms:

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

07/27/11 Company blurb says: "a blend of west coast hops for a balanced, bitter effect. We close the session out by dry hopping the beer for a nice resiny mouth feel."

Not my kind of thing. I prefer clean and crisp. The "resiny mouth feel" made me feel I had kissed a tree...hugs maybe, but never a kiss on the mouth, thank you very much.

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%

Bottled in February 2014 tasted at the end of October. This one’s going to be stale. Bomber into nonic pint. Copper body with off-white finger high head. Some patches of lace. Aroma is dim caramel malt, some citrus, and earth. Taste is muted bready sweetness and muted floral bitterness. Medium body, a notch in the direction of thick texture, average carbonation, astringent finish.

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

2.67/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From a can, not dated.

Pours murky dark orange, bordering on brown. Not a good look. Settles into a hazy dark orange in the glass, decent foamy head.

From there I'm not sure what happened with this one. Oxidized? Strange choice of yeast? I'm picking up primarily saison-like phenolics. Mouthfeel is rough, leaving a very undesirable astringency to finish.

I just started seeing this one around in cans, some I'm presuming it's only 2-3 months old.

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz bottle poured into a glass. The whole glass immediately filled with foam. After pouring and letting it settle for the next 20 minutes I finally get a glass of amber colored beer with an active, rocky white head. It looked great eventually, but getting to that point wasn't easy.

The aroma has a herbal, earthy hoppiness to it with some tart, crisp fruits coming through. I get some notes of pepper and grapes to it. It has a dry, bready like presence to it as well.

The taste also shows some tart, crisp fruits to it with some notes of pear and grape in the finish. Again, I get more of a dry, bready presence in it as well. The hops do come through and give it some herbal, earthy qualities as well as some bitter citrus rind in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being explosive. Overall, the explosive carbonation was a pain in the ass to deal with and it wasn't that great of a beer to make it worth all the fuss. Something didn't seem right in it, I almost wonder if the high carbonation and slight tartness is the beginning of something developing unintended. Once it settled it was drinkable, but average at best.

2.72/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased a single bomber style bottle on 03/29/14 in CT. Bottle said that it was bottled march of 2013. Served at 58 degrees.

The pour initially showed a high level of carbonation as it was almost completely foam. It took a long time to pour the bottle into my glass because I had to allow the foam to drop.

Appearance: Amber beneath a thick head and thick lacing on the sides of the glass

Smell: No hop aroma, just malt.

Taste: Initial taste is malt. I don't taste any discernible hops, there is a a lingering bitterness. There is a faint citrus that is barely noticeable. Not bad, not great just okay

Mouthfeel: over carbonated for an ipa, the carbonation would be more suited for a hefe or a cream ale. That's being said it still had good body.

Overall: not a good example of an ipa. I would like to try a fresh one but I think the one I bought might have been stale since I didn't get any of the hop flavors and aroma that I expect from an ipa. I would classify this as an amber ale and not as an ipa

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

Review caveat: This beer was bottled during Aug.2011 and I’m tasting it during Jan. 2012. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice the bottle date in the store when I purchased it. This beer was about ready to explode from over carbonation. It was a massive gusher (when chilled to 45 deg. no less), but in the breweries defense, they probably didn’t mean for it to sit on the shelf for 6 months. Bottle shop should have pulled it, but that’s another story. Anyway, take this review with this caveat AND check the bottle date if you purchase this beer!!!

A: amber color, cloudy/chill haze, good head and lacing.

S: Decent hop aroma (given its age), somewhat citrus, bit of tea aroma, with a lot of malt in the background.

T: A very nice balance of malt and hops, even with its age. This beer was probably great when fresh. Hops provide nice balance against the malt with a very nice bite of bitterness on the finish. Taste is nice, seems a bit like an English IPA.

M: Over carbonated, dominates mouth feel

O: Tough to give an objective opinion. I’m betting this beer was pretty good when fresh, but it’s way past its prime now. I’ll try it again if I can find a fresh bottle.

2.84/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

i found this an acceptable in a pinch session ale. most all session IPA's seem to me to be pretty much indistinguishable. i'll just stick with notch and founder's for all-day imbibing though.
edit--the last one in the six, i had to drain pour.
maybe i got a bad six. . .

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

A thanks goes out to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, light hops. Taste is also mild. Light malts, some lemon, hints of pine, damn near no bitterness. Feels light bodied in the mouth and overall is mediocre at best.

White Birch Hop Session Ale from White Birch Brewing