Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Red Wagon IPA | Fire Island Beer Company

Style: American IPA

Added by JoeyBeerBelly on 11-07-2009

1.75/5  rDev -49%

2.12/5  rDev -38.2%

Ugh...I had this on tap and it was really pretty good, perhaps I can review it on tap sometime, but from the bottle it is not very good.

A: The best thing this has going for it is the look from the pour. Thick ample head, murky amber orange, apple cider sort of look

S: This is really an IPA? Maybe this is just a bad batch, but it smells only of caramel sweet malt and sour candy and sharp yeast. There is nothing hoppy smelling here.

T: I am being charitable with a 2 rating. It tastes awful. I think this is going down the drain... It tastes like sour dough bread dipped in beer. Not good at all. Again, on tap it was good! But for this review, the bottle tastes really bad.

M: The mouthfeel is ok. Has a sort of grainy thick chewy mouth to it, and sharp tingly carbonation.

D: Sorry, I can't even finish the bottle, so I have to give this a poor drinkability. It just doesnt taste good.

2.41/5  rDev -29.7%

Served in a pint glass at local Irish pub sort of place by a guy named Todd, who made a point of remembering my name as I left. Nice touch even if it felt a little false since we didn't exchange more than a few perfunctory words. Amber color, slight head, and a very little lacing (lame lacing). The first of the twi I drank was less impressive than the second, whose head stood up better than the first, and whose lacing was even better. Go figure. Slight hoppiness in the nose. Mouthfeel was watery. Ok, and the only IPA on tap. About to enjoy an Old Rasputin. Let's see.

2.44/5  rDev -28.9%

Asked my girlfriend to order this for me while I ran off to the men's room, so it was sitting and waiting for me when I returned...no head at all, and very minimal lacing. Smell was virtually non existent. At least, I expected a little hoppiness. Taste, unfortunately, followed smell and there was, well...nothing! Brown water with some moderate carbonation. I left it to warm a bit, as it was probably too cold coming out of the tap....but it didn't get any better. In fact, it didn't change at all. Disappointing night cap...

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

2.54/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber with moderate lacing and reasonable retention.

Aroma is flat, some creaky old hops, a bit of citrus but mainly earth and mint and just a touch of diacetyl around the edge.

Fortunately the butter is virtually undetectable on the palate and there's a pleasing balance and some reasonable caramel malt character. Under the category of IPAs which aim for balance it's appropriately bitter to balance the sweetness, but the hop character is miniscule.

The body feels right, nice crisp lift to the finish that turns this from a chore to a mere disappointment.

Mislabeled in today's day and age (or in need of a reformulation) and brewing process needs a touch of work, but it wouldn't be painful if I had to choose this to avoid going macro.

2.57/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated 11/19/14. I did not look at the date when I bought during a recent road trip through New York. Sampled on July 4, 2015.

Murky, sediment filled brass-orange under a big, lingering off white head. Usually I like sediment deposits but these were floating everywhere.

Any of the hops in the aroma have probably faded due to the age of this beer so I picked up more of a roasted malt character and an extremely thin hop profile.

Medium body.

The taste is far more malt forward than hop forward but again I think that is based on its age. Hopefully if I am back in New York at a later date I can find a fresher bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not awful, but nothing special in any way.

2.72/5  rDev -20.7%

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

After downing a sip of sunshine and a 2nd fiddle I made the mistake of cracking this open bc it was the only 12oz beer in my fridge. That was not a good idea! Took 1 sip and realized it was not good, took a 2nd sip and realized I could not drink it anymore and drain poured the rest!

Red Wagon IPA from Fire Island Beer Company