Orange Blossom Cream Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.

Added by Reidrover on 12-13-2003

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a slightly hazy, pale straw color with a thin, almost non-existent head. The smell is of orange (duh) and grainy malt. Reminds me of a Zima. The taste follows suit, orange malt beverage flavor with no real beer taste and a slightly bitter citrusy finish. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, minimal carbonation. This is a relatively easy to drink "beer" due to the watery-ness and lack of carbonation. I was hoping for more of a "cream ale" as it is advertised, but ended up with a Zima-like brew. Could be decent on a very hot day where I didn't have anything better around.

3.24/5  rDev +7.6%

A-It's got a nice look to it.

S- It does have a nice smell of oranges.

T- You can taste the orange but not really the beer. The Beer kick is kind of weak.

M-It doesnt leave an after taste but it's still a boring brew.

D-It's not bad but I don't think I will buy it ever again.

I was told this Beer was better than Oberon but I have to disagree. This is not a bad beer but there isnt much flavor in it at all. It kind of tastes like Soda Water with an orange twist. I also do not really taste the Cream in it. It's not bad, just so-so.

3.15/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a short 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Label has a printed abv of 5.2%.

Small off-white head with a clear apple juice colored body. The smell is kind of flowery and is definitely similar to an orange soda. The taste is mostly of the orange flower extract, which the label says has been added to the beer.

I won't be buying this beer again, but it wasn't that bad. Would be pretty refreshing on a hot day.

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%

This is interesting and overall I like it but it's not something I'd normally choose and its very sweet and perfumy.

A sparkling light amber and somewhat fizzy, it has a thin white head that dissipates quickly to a thin ring.

The aroma is very perfumy and flowery, with strong citrus flower, orange zest, and dust.
The aroma stops just short of being unpleasant.

The taste is flowery orange, tangy, with most good, biscuity light malt in the finish. The palate is light and lively. It's a bit different, but rather thin in feel and chracter, and not something I'd normally want.

2.44/5  rDev -18.9%

"ale brewed with honey, orange peel, and natural flavor, with orange flower extract added." sounds interesting. i'm suspicious of this mysterious natural flavor though...
Poured into a pint glass.
A- On the darker side of golden but not quite copper. A two finger head that disappates to nothing. Petty murky with a good deal of carbonation bubbles.
S- Smells like what some in the South call "Orange Drank." reminds me of kool-aid. smells of orange, sweetness, and flowers. Smells a little too artificial for my nose.
T- Tastes much like it smells. Props to the brewery for getting the right amount of honey in. Too bad that it was ruined by an overly powerful orange jello taste. The aftertaste was particularly peculiar in this sense.
M- Not a terrible feel to it. Lively carbonation. A little thin, but not bad.
D- I suppose it could be considered refreshing and drinkable. This beer really does have potential. The fact of the matter is that they just missed the balance between fruit and beer. I understand you have to judge in regard to style, but this one was a little too agressive with the fruit, and needs to remember to put some of the beer element in fruit beer.

2.21/5  rDev -26.6%

Appearance was good, had a hazy yellow with some hue of orange.

Smell was definitely of orange, nothing special but definitely there.

Taste, was strange, best described like as beer + chemicals, reminded me of the smell of bathroom cleaner, and how it might taste if someone mixed it with beer! Not, revolting, just very very odd, makes you think - 'hmm...that doesn't seem right'.

Mouth feel good, very good carbonation but kind of thin, felt like drinking club soda.

Drinability of this is poor, I'll see if it grows on me as I finish, but definitely don't think i'll even want another one.

1.99/5  rDev -33.9%

12oz bottle.

Poured a light yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Faint, almost rotten, orange peel smell. Very light orange taste with a fizzy, overly carbonated body. After tasting this one I could only ask why, oh why?

Notes from: 07/15/04.

3.22/5  rDev +7%

Bottle purchased at Buyrite Liquors

Appearance: Transparent orange amber color with minimal off white head and some lacing.

Smell: Like "orange drink" and flowers.

Taste: Like "orange drink" and flowers.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied with no real finish.

Drinkability: Easy to drink considering its a light bodied orange soda tasting beer.

3.24/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Well, usually this section is dedicated to describing the head and overall color of the brew. Well, the only thing that I'm going to add is that there heavy sedimentation. Bottle conditing is not unknown to very small breweries. However, this brew, despite the front of the label, is actually bottled by Pyramid Breweries. This is a contract brewing. Sedemintation is not expected from a brewery with that kind of capacity.

Smell: There are spicy and citrus overtones. I wouldn't say that the aroma is orange. It is a little more exotic than that. A slight bready presence can be detected. Interesting aroma.

Taste: The taste is good. There is a caramel taste that mixes quite well with the orange blossom presence. The orange component is prominent in the initial component of the flavor curve, and mixes well with the carbonation. The orange-ness tapers into a nice maltiness with little sharp bitterness. It appears that aromatic hops rather than high alpha hops were used in this selection.

Mouthfeel: The presence of this brew is quite "happy" on the palate. I was impressed. The taste is very festive and amlost like a Christmas Ale but with out the spiciness. The overall experience is quite pleasant.

Drinkability: The lightness of this brew and the festive feel certainly add to the drinkability. The high carbonation (3 to 3 1/2 carbonation units) sustains a little too much.

Conclusions: Certainly not top-shelf, this brew is none-the-less intersting and has a fruity flavor. This would be a great selection for a drinking session, but only if stored with out agitation.

Prosit!
Nikki

3.43/5  rDev +14%

It has a light off white head and lace with an orange tint. The body is an orange, bronze and amber color. It has little bit of fizz and a lot of head that dissipated quickly into a nice head. It has a citrus liqueur smell to it. It kind of reminded me of one of those orange scented cleaners. It has a tangy citrusy flavor but not as overdone as I thought. It is sweet and has fruit loop aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fizzy and thin.

3.12/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a bottle into my East End Brewing pint glass

A - pours a clear copper color with 1/2 inch of foam that quickly dissipates

S - has a strong orange smell, almost too strong to be real

T - it was just too much, reminded me of an orange creamsicle which I can't stand, so maybe i'm biased against this one because of that

M/D - I think this one was too carbonated which made it even less enjoyable for me. I don't think I made it through the glass.

2.8/5  rDev -7%

A 12 oz bottle.

A: The ale is a light tea-colored brown, lighted with some yellow hues. Head? What head? There's no stinkin' head here.

S: Orange and a cream soda sweetness really grab your attention (good or bad, I'm not sure yet).

T: Lots of orange and cream soda, just like the nose suggested. Biscuity grains follow the sweetness, leaving an odd finish that is devoid of the aforementioned orange and cream soda.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet but not quite cloyingly so.

D: Interesting but nothing that I'd seek out (or even use as a last resort).

2.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours out a lightly hazy orange with a small white head.

Smell. Very sweet and artificial smell, like a orange or cream soda.

Taste. Not so good as i dont get much of a beer flavor. To me its more of a malternative as the orange flavors taste soda-like and athere isnt any malt flavors. Finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel. medium to light body that is highly carbonated and has a fizzyness to it.

Overall, did not enjoy this. Its not a horrible flavor, but it just doesnt taste like beer to me. wont ever get it again.

2.65/5  rDev -12%

A: A clear orange color with a fizzy white head which disappears after the pour.

S: Smell like orange sunkist. A very flowery orange scent.

T & M: It tastes just like it sounds. Very much a candy orange flavor with floral scents and slight bitterness. No other characteristics really. Creamy and very easy to drink.

D: It's pretty refreshing and is a decent beer for people that don't like beer. Good for a summer picnic to just down to beat the heat.

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a: clear light gold body, thin white head, little to no retention.

s: Sweet orange, slight floral notes.

t: tastes like a creamsickle: artificial orange and cream. This beer has no balance whatsoever and doesn't taste like beer at all, but damn, that's a tasty treat.

m: average, a bit thin and fizzy.

d: this is not beer. this is candy. a unique offering that offers a good changeup when in the proper mood.

3.32/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy body with a small white head with ok retention and decent lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Smells like orange zest with some sweet, malt undertones to compliment.

T: The taste was not as impressive as the smell. It seemed like watered down orange juice or orange concentrate with some sugar added. The malts seemed to recede into the background, disappearing completely when I feel they would have provided a nice, complimentary backbone to the beer. I am not saying they needed to be fully present, but just enough to compliment the orange taste. I think it would have done well to assist with balancing out the watered down orange taste.

M: A fairly smooth mouthfeel that did seem a little overcarbonated, but not too much. A pretty strong point here.

D: Overall, a decent beer to drink. The mouthfeel helped out with the beer in this aspect as the sugary orange juice flavor started to get to me later. Maybe a hint of coriander to balance may have helped this one out a little bit more. Overall, a decent beer.

The first Buffalo Bill beer I had was the Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, which I found to be quite good. While this one did not really achieve my expectations, it will not hinder me from still searching out the Buffalo Bill brews in the future.

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%

I poured this bottle into a snifter at cellar temp. The beer pours a clear copper color with almost no bleached white head foaming up and fading immediately. Aroma is caramel malt and lots of citrus orange sweetness dominates.
First sip reveals an average body with medium tingly carbonation.
Flavor is very similar to nose with sweet caramel and some grain notes then rolls to all orange like a jolly rancher. This beer is candy and could get too sweet pretty quickly. An interesting brew but I wouldnt want to drink more than one at a time.
Could be a nice desert pairing.

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

This is one shockingly good beer that is definitely out of the ordinary. Pours a dark yellow/gold with an orange tint. Decent head and good carbonation. The aroma is sweet and fruity, no mistaken that orange is involved here. Feels creamy and full on the palate and finishes with a wonderful taste of orange. Very smooth and creamy halfway through this one I had to reassure myself that I was drinking a beer. Absolutely different which is what makes this one a really good experience.

3.36/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a small head on a light yellow body. Holy orange, it's all orange, all the time for the nose. Of course, that's the prominent taste as well, but it seemed to not be ridiculously so. Actually pretty nice. Despite the small head, it came across as a bit fizzy. A nice hot summer day drink, despite the obvious orange domination...it was fairly well balanced.

3.25/5  rDev +8%

Got this beer at World Market in Birmingham. Poured into a standard pint.

A: Poured a golden, macro yellow. Not much head to speak of with little to no retention. No lacing to write mom about.

S: This smells fanfriggintastic. Smells like an orange cream soda or cream pop. Serious notes of sweet orange, vanilla ice cream. Smells exactly like the beer leads you to believe the beer should smell.

T: Wish it was as good as the smell. Serious let down here. The main taste is of a regular macro flavor of grains and malt. As the beer warms traces of orange and cream come across, but not nearly enough. Sad panda I am.

M: A light bodied beer. No after taste to talk about. Goes down smooth and clean.

D: You can drink it, but it is a macro alternative at best. At the price, may have to buy some macro instead. Really wanted more from this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A yellow/light amber color with a wispy off-white head that falls quickly to a thin lace.

S: Intense orange, corn/grain malts, and a hint flowery. Very artificial sweetness.

T&M: Sweet orange/flowery flavors initially, followed by a sour macro-lager-esque cheap grain/adjunct flavor. 2.5 only because the sweetness is interesting enough. Mouthfeel is bubbly and effervescent, with a light body--on par, but nothing special.

D: The sweetness is a bit intense for me, especially when coupled with the nasty grain flavor. The last 1/3 resulted in a drain pour, but I could see how this could go down very easily for someone who's into this kind of beer (or "etc"), but I won't be drinking it again.

3.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a very light yellow color, almost reminiscent of a wit or hefe, with a small head that disappeared quite rapidly leaving behind no lacing as I drink it down. Aroma is.... ORANGE. Taste is, well, orangey. A bit like a shandy, only with orange-ade mixed in rather than lemonade. Creamy on the palate, average carbonation, and somewhat refreshing. At least it took away the awful aftertaste of the last beer I had (Rogue I2PA)

2.65/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured an orange to light amber in color and slightly cloudy. Looks kind of like honey. Thin one finger head sat lazily on top for a short time and then vanished.

For a short time there was a little visible carbonation but this also seemed to vanish.

This totally smells like orange soda with maybe a slight malt sweetness as well, but very faint.

Guess what? Tastes like orange soda as well.
There is a bubbly soda quality to the mouth feel and the bitterness is more reminiscent of an orange peel vs. a hop. There is a slight creaminess as well which I suppose compliments the orange flavor as in a creamsicle.

Very light body which leads to a quick drinking beer.

This is more of a novelty and perhaps can be classified as a summer session beer. But frankly it reminds me more of Bartles and James wine coolers from the 80's.

I wasn't a big fan of those then and I'm not of this either.

Glad I bought one vs. a six pack and thank got for mixed six packs!

Footnote, my Mother is here and she doesn't like beer. She just said, "I could drink about a ½ a glass of that, it doesn't really taste like beer."

** 2nd footnote, My wife just read this and thought you all might think I still live with my Mom. I do NOT. We are on vacation. My wife says I'm a beer geek . She is right and now embarrassed I've included this on the internet for all to see!!!

'Nuff Said!

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Poured from the bottle a copper-gold color with a thin white head.

Aroma of orange soda and not much else.

Taste is of sweet tangerines with a slight hint of grains.

Light bodied and very fizzy.

This is more of an orange soda type of beverage that an ale. I might have liked it more as a teenager.

2.05/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Clear, honey amber color. Large bubbles in head that dissipate quickly, leaving no lace.

S: Very sweet, orange blossoms, honey, citrus in general. No discernible hop or malt presence over the overpowering citrus.

T: Not nearly as sweet or citrusy as I expected on my tongue, but the citrus aroma through my nose while drinking was overpowering. I couldn't focus on anything but ORANGE, and possibly honey. It tastes like some sort of artificial orange candy, or Homer's famed "Skittlebrau" made only with orange Skittles. Not the most pleasant beer experience.

M: Decent, if you can pour this foul liquid past your lips.

D: I couldn't even finish one, let alone another. I very rarely dump beers because I don't like them, and this was one of them.

This beer actually made me nauseous...

Orange Blossom Cream Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery