Orange Blossom Cream Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Orange Blossom Cream AleOrange Blossom Cream Ale

Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.

Added by Reidrover on 12-13-2003

1.53/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours clear yellow-orange with little to no head.

Smell is artificial orange. Period.

Taste is similiar to the nose, with the addition of a very slight maltiness.

Mouthfeel is lighter than light.

Is this a wine cooler? I will not drink this again... Although not completely undrinkable - this isn't beer.

1.58/5  rDev -47.9%

Poured a light orange color with almost no head.

Smells exactly like orange soda pop, think fanta, sunkist, or orange crush.

Taste is a odd mix of watered down orange pop flavoring and a bit of beer. No hops or malt to speak of.

Mouthfeel is ultra thin and watery.

Not a real drinkable beer, in fact barely a beer, its closer to the smirnoff and bacardi malternatives than it is to a real beer.

2.53/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear golden color with a light orange tint. Has a small white head that fades. No lacing to speak of.

Smells like orange Crush. It smells really good, but no trace of beer in the aroma.

Tastes mildly like orange soda upfront just breifly and then washes into a bland and rather unappealing artifical orange taste that lingers.

Light body and ok carbonation. Feels like an orange residue is left behind.

It's not that I couldn't finish the bottle, but I'll not be drinking another.

2.16/5  rDev -28.7%

This beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a light orange to honey coloration. The head was small foamy orange cream. The head fell immediatly.

Smell: The beer has an overwhelmingly sweet orange smell. This seriously smells like orange soda pop. This is just not very beer like.

Taste: This beer is like orange soda pop. The orange of coarse dominates in the taste of the beer. There is very little in the way of hops.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is very light bodied and overly sweet. The beer is like drinking orange soda pop. As a soda pop it is a fantasticly successful; however, as a beer this is just not good.

3.36/5  rDev +10.9%

I've been very interested to finally open this one up, let's see how it goes.

Nothing too impressive with the pour, a light orange color with a white head that disappears quickly.
Wow, what an aroma. Smells just like Stewarts Orange Cream Soda. Maybe a hint of ale in the smell.
Wow again! The taste starts off with a strong orange soda flavor, even down to the carbonation. It is quickly interrupted by a brief, weak, ale flavor which goes away as soon as it is tasted. Not near as creamy as I would expect from the style.
This beer is really an inigma. Starts with an orange bang that disappears into nothing very fast. It is a drinkable beer if you are into the orange flavor, but even that doesn't last.
I enjoyed the beer and would drink it again, but it wasn't special enough to be noteworthy. If only they could have done more with that flavor and worked it into an aftertaste or a creamier mouthfeel.

3.72/5  rDev +22.8%

You have to know what you are getting into with this beer; it is flavored very strongly.
It pours with an orange-copper color and a thin head.
The smell is just short of overpowering orangeness. It smells like an orange creamsicle or an orange soda. Not much else to pick up there.
I actually enjoyed the taste, contrary to some of the other reviews here. Yes, the orange flavor is strong, but it is not to the detriment of the beer. Honey comes through as well as you get to the bottom of the glass. There is a hoppy aftertaste but it isn't immediately evident.
Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth.
Overall this is a good summer beer. It does seem to be a love it or hate it affair though. But hey, if you love it and none of your friends do you can keep the rest of the six-pack like I did!

2.89/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light golden amber with a minimal pure white head that dissipates quickly. True to it's name, a fairly strong initial aroma of oranges rises to meet the nostrils, along with hints of lemon zest and a light floral note. The initial flavor is a slightly burnt orange not dissimilar to Cointreau liqueur with just the right hop presence to provide balance and backbone without being overpowering. Fine, spritzy bubbles provide a champagne-like effervescence. This beer finishes cleanly, the carbonation almost seems to scrub the palate in preparation for the next sip.

1.99/5  rDev -34.3%

Looks nice in the glass- a honey colour with tinges of orange...the head is very active, medium bubbles, nice and white. Almost more like a soda head. Goes away somewhat quickly, with no lace left behind. Lots of bubbles rising in this one.

The smell is really not beer at all. It's a powdery sweet orange- almost like candy (the powdery sugary kind that can even make small children sick, it's so sweet). Sort of an even sweeter orange PEZ smell, really.

I think this is the lowest flavour score I've given. It's not awful, but it's not beer. This is like slightly spicy weak orange kool-aid, with a hint of beer flavour on the finish. 'nuff said.

There's a little body to this, but not terribly a lot. A somewhat loose carbonation swells at the middle, and is gone.

Lowest drinkability I've ever given. I don't think I want another of this again. It's be a good one to give to that pretty young thing you invited over, who thinks she could never like beer. :) I'm rather disappointed. I had hoped this would be better...I kinda linked the idea of it.

Be well

2.57/5  rDev -15.2%

Hey, who put Tang in my beer? This one with a coppery tone. Pours heavily carbonated with big bubbles that disappeared quickly. orange Crush. Seriously. Slightly malty sweet and bitter with a bit of souring. Tastes strongly citrusy...again, like orange crush with a hard bittering from large amounts of curraco orange peel. Roughly grainy and astringent. Body is weak and compromised by the high carbonation. Finishes suddenly with the sweetness, but lingers in the orange flavors and the bitter bite. Aftertaste is the same as orange crush. Not as creamy of a beer as it should be. Orange bitter is out of balance.

1.26/5  rDev -58.4%

Pours a light copper, slightly hazed. Looks like a regular beer so far... hey, where's the head? And what's that smell? Yeesh, this beer is unearthly. The orange flavor is intense and very SOUR. There is some unremarkable ale flavor under there, but the orange stomps it out like a cigarette butt. Supposedly a summer thirstquencher, but I shudder at the thought of drinking this as a session beer. Seriously, if you are hell bent on a beer with orange flavor, then just get a Blue Moon (or whatever) with a slice of orange from your corner pub, because this one is a drain pour.

3.7/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Created a nice even head. The aroma has a strong hint of orange peel. Very smooth taste. I think this was a very drinkable beer. Not what I would classify as a traditional craft beer, but it is an easy drinker, and excellent on a hot day.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a clear golden color with very little head. Smells like Sunkist orange soda...very sweet smelling. Taste is a bit more beer-like, but not by much. A little hint of grassy hops comes through towards the end of the taste. Finishes slightly dry and slick on the tongue. Tastes too watered down to be much more than a lite lager with orange hints.

If this beer had a bigger malt body, it would be OK. But as it is right now, no dice.

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

This pours a light amber colour with a decent head. The bottle admits that it was actually brewed and bottled right here in Portland by the Portland Brewing Company.

The smell is a dead ringer for my grandmother's oranges in jelly (tinned mandarin slices in orange jello) which offers a pleasant, but rather fake orange aroma.

Unlike the other orange beer I've had (Caldera Dry Hop Orange) the flavour isn't subtle at all here. The orange (apparently from peel, honey and orange flower extract) taste is bold, but more like orange squash than orange juice.

The feeling that this isn't really beer at all is compounded by what seems like over carbonation. I like plenty of carbonation in my beer, but coupled with the flavour I am left feeling like I am drinking orangeade (orange pop) rather than beer. I much preferred the Caldera.

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance - Pours as a clear amber color with a small but distinct head.

Smell - As the name implies, the smell of oranges will fill your nose. I was not able to really define any additional aromas due to the gentle, yet focused presentation.

Taste - If you like oranges (and you would otherwise this would still be on the shelf and you have moved on) this is the beer for you. I would place this as a very nice summer drinking beer except for the creamy texture described later. I did notice a nice hoppy taste as well, besides all the oranges...

Mouthfeel - Here's where the "creamy" descriptor resides. A previous reviewer described this as reminding him of a "creamsicle". That is an outstanding word to jog memories of how this beer feels. Very pleasant feel without a bite.

Drinkability - A very easy drinking beer. As mentioned previously, I would drink this as a summer beer, more specifically as a summer evening beer after a meal. One or two of these is sufficient to leave you in a "Florida orange grove" state of mind.

General comments: As a young boy, my family made the obligatory trips to Walt Disney World several times (we lived in NJ) in my pre-teen years. This beer took me back to the times we stopped along the road and bought bags of oranges to eat once we entered Florida. The aroma filled the car and this beer will fill your senses with the taste of "creamy oranges".

3.14/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a crystal clear gold almost amber. Had a 1 finger head that dissapated quickly and left little lace. First whif is orange, upon a secong some of the sweet malt does come through. Not much hop presence detected. Tatste is very light, almost watery where malt is cocerned but the bitter sweet orange comes right through. It has fairly high carbonation is sweet and dry. You can probably only drink a 2 of these before you get really tired of the orangeness of it. Its OK for a change of pace but it is not a heavyweight it the world of beer. Worth a try but don't expect a lot unless you really love orange.

3.44/5  rDev +13.5%

Aroma was more apricot than orange. Interesting flavor going on here - flowery but not perfume-like - an essence of orange blossom, like walking through the orchard. Delicate orange flavor that was ephemeral, like when I was a kid and would pinch off the base of a honeysuckle bloom for a tiny drop of nectar. A little dry and astringent at the finish. Overall, the flavor was nice, yet not really enough to carry the beer - after the initial intrigue with the floral aspect, interest fell off fairly quickly. Not really a good summer cooler because I think the orange blossom note would get tedious.

3.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Light bodied, very nice clear orangish amber color with a modest and short lived white head.

The aroma is Orange zest with a touch of honet and orange blossoms, very nice.

The Taste is the same. Very light beer base, the flavor is all in the orange rind and flower extract. Unusual but rather pleasant. Only slightly sweet, just enough to balance the bite from the orange rind. Not exactly my style of beer but I think I could enjoy it as a hot weather cooler.

Should work well with lighter foods such as salads.

This is one that some will hate and some will love, give it a try if it sounds like sometrhing you could like.

3.47/5  rDev +14.5%

Very clear orange. I can see my fingerprints through the glass. Head starts off well but recedes to a thin veil. Bubbles rise continuously.

Cointreau orange aroma. This smells wonderfull.

Starts off dry and almost tasteless. A bitter orange peel taste develops slowly, peaks late and recedes. The aftertaste is honey and flower. After smelling this beer the taste is nothing but disappointing.

The feel is dry and light, bordering on watery. Effervescent.

I usually don't go for flavored sparkling water and this beer is just about that.

3.42/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer's smell was almost as impressive as the taste. After a few drinks, it reminds me of a creamcicle. A very light beer with a heavy orange flavor. In the after taste, there are hints of cloves and other christmas beer like flavors. Not a bad beer but the orange flavor tastes more like the peels rather than the fruit.

2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Okay, call me a sucker. I went into one of my favorite local joints looking for something new in my beer tasting escapades and maybe pick-up some orange soda while I was at it (no, kidding, I literally had these two things in my mind) Maybe I'm from Waponi-Woo, who knows! Well as I hit the beer aisle I saw stacks and stacks of these in six pack form. "What's this?!" I exclaimed. Orange Cream Ale, oh dear god, somebody is toying with me. Not only do I like ale, especially cream ale, but orange too? Had to buy it. Time to jump into the big woo.

It poured out a crystal clear and clean almost copper color with a very thin head that didn't stick around for the big leap. Nose is very sugary smelling, smacks of a harsh version of Tang or something. Taste is very crisp to begin with, a orange explosion in my mouth, there is a certain duality going on here. The first taste of orange almost tastes like actual orange juice but that quickly gets supressed by a chemical-like artificial orange flavor, again... like Tang. This finally trails off and there is an almost afterthought-like beer character at the end, a bit malty and barely there. I agree with the earlier reviewer that with some hop kick this could really be a good brew, it just needs to taste more like..well, beer.

This really does not taste like beer, it barely qualifies. It's like watered down orange soda mixed with beer in a 70-30 mix.

Really, not that bad, interesting to say the least and worth the 6.99 for a sixer just to pass around to friends. In the end though, I think I'll keep my beer and orange soda seperate for the time being.

As a sidenote, the bottle, label and packaging are very nicely done. Very attractive.

"Take me to the volcano!"

3.87/5  rDev +27.7%

Pours from the bottle a somewhat cloudy golden orange with a small bubbly head. Orange Kool-Aid smell upfront mixed with sweet honey tones....very fruity and quite unique. I like it.

First sip comes with the same orange Kool-Aid flavor along with a nice pale maltiness and some sweet honey notes. There's a slight creaminess as well making it somewhat like a liquid dreamsicle. An interesting fruit beer to say the least.

Nice mouthfeel with a medium body that's easy drinking and quite refreshing. This is a brew I could enjoy every now and again, definetly worth a shot...especially if you like orange.

3.97/5  rDev +31%

Clear orange-gold color, no head at all. This beer smells just like the Shasta's I used to drink at my grandparents'. Flavor is similar, not so much beer as like those fruity soda-pops sold at grocery store chains. Very light malt, undetectable bitterness, with some hints of vanilla and citrus twang. Somewhat sweet, but not cloying. Body is highly spritzy.

Talk about a wacky beer--I like it! Not very complex and not for everyone, but it reminds me of some Belgian wits that are as drinkable as soda.

3.52/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a pale light golden with a thin wispy white head,very effervescent orange aroma with a toasted cereal grain in there as well pleasant.Tastes like orange flavored cheerios kinda odd comparison but it reaaly fits for this beer like drinking tang with the morning cheerios.A winter seasonal seems kinda odd for this brew seems much more of a summer beer.Not a really bad beer I could see myself drinking this on a hot summer afternoon here in NC.

2.36/5  rDev -22.1%

I noticed this beer had sold down to the last single and I thought it would be an impressive ale with fruity lambic-like citrus but without the sourness. I was partially right, it had a simple artifical-esque orange flavor that didn't appeal to me the closer I got to the end of it. It was drinkable in small quantities, I feel sorry for any one who bought a six pack.

It was like a pop (or soda) that happened to have beer in it. This would probably fit in if you were doing a fruit-flavor tasting to attract the ladies. Or if you just want unusual flavor to match with orange sherbert on your menu.

The lable says, brewed and bottled under contract so I don't know if there's other flavors to try. Worth trying, make sure there's someone (or more) to share it with.

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

I picked up a six-pack of this at a Dallas Central Market on a recent beer/cheese buying trek. The label was so reminiscent of an old-fashioned citrus crate, that the impulse hit me -- I bit -- even though I'm not big on flavored beers.

The beer poured a clear amber gold, with a quick-fading head. In fact, by the time I smelled the beer, which reminded me of orange-flavored alka seltzer (not too strong on the orange, but definitely there), the head was completely gone.

The taste was definitely orange, but not over the top. It was actually pretty good -- very crisp and clean -- with a vague malty orange finish. It didn't have a lot of snap to it, which is something I prefer in beer, which is why I graded it lower in the mouthfeel category. I think some added hops could do wonders for this brew.

This is definitely a novelty. I'll probably share the other five brews. I don't see myself buying this again, unless it's to serve at a party.

Orange Blossom Cream Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery