Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good
Read the review
Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavor added.

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

Added by dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

4.66/5  rDev +39.5%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

4.65/5  rDev +39.2%

Not what i was expecting at all. An interesting Bluberry beer that pours far darker and heavier than most fruit beers. The Stout gives ita good, full body and the blueberry aroma is definitely there but not overwhelming. Tastes very smooth on the mouth and was very easily drinkable. An excellent winter beer, with a summer taste.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

This is a good beer! I was interested to try it because I enjoyed Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale, but did not enjoy their Pumpkin Ale at all... so I figured this would be the final coin flip.

I was not disappointed - it's a typical quality oatmeal stout in appearance and mouthfeel. But it has a subtle but noticeable blueberry nose. The blueberry flavor is similarly subtle but pleasant and noticeable in the taste - a surprisingly good match with the sweeter oatmeal stout style. This beer is a candidate for a session beer, and might even be a good stout to drink well into spring.

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The best part of the beer it the subtle scent of blueberry pancakes when you hover your nose over it. You can barely notice when you drink it but I love this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%

As a local to Buffalo Bill's I get to experience alot of their beer from the tap, but picked up a sixer of this at bevmo and it didn't dissapoint.

Poured a nice dark color, like it should, and left the perfect head...because of my pouring expertise. I love oatmeal stout's so I was excited to see it added with blueberries, and Buffalo Bill's did not let me down. Oh good Lord, it smelled like those blueberry pancakes mama used to make, but not too strong, just enough to taste the berries. The taste was great too..a great balanced stout with just the right flavor of the berry. Went down nice and smooth...all 6 of them

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%

Appearance: Very dark brown, thin off white head with very little retention or lace. Some sediment. Not much like a stout.

Aroma: Blueberry, lavender. Interesting.

Taste: Blueberry, lavender, liquorice. Hint of chocolate. Very smooth, perhaps from the oatmeal. Slight sweetness, no bitterness. Maybe soapy or medicinal but in a good way. Doesn't really taste like a stout, but there is something very moreish about the flavours.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, a little dry.

Drinkability: A good sipper, and surprisingly moreish. Just expect something unusual and you'll be satisfied.

4.37/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm halfway through my second six-pack of this beer and am loving it. They must have changed some stuff up because the older reviews are horrible, but recent ones have gotten better. It's a totally different bottle and labeling now than what is pictured above.
Look: Man this is near perfect. Beautiful two finger head with great retention. It's seriously thick tan clouds that don't move no matter how much you swirl. Lacing is magnificent. My HydroFlask Perfect Pint 'glass' (it's stainless steel) might help with that but truly great. Nice and dark, hardly any light gets through the corners (when I had it in a normal glass).
Smell: Definite Blueberry with subtle classic stout characteristics. As I get past the blueberry, I get tons of chocolate and coffee. It's still muted a bit too much to call it perfect. Not a slap in the face.
Taste: Here is where this stout shines, among other places. I love the slap of blueberry I get, and how the bitterness cloys at the coffee bitterness to combine for a well rounded, but coffee and blueberry forward stout. There's a bitter chocolate there as well. As I type this I can understand how some people might argue it's not balanced great, but this favors my palate and I love it.
Feel: The other only part that is slacking in this beer is that it is a bit thin *compared* to other great stouts I've had. It's still got that chewiness but I just want more. Carbonation may be a bit too much as well, but it's not overpowering. I want a little less to let it sit in my mouth and let it die there before jumping into the pits of my stomach.
Overall: If you couldn't tell, or if you just skipped to here (I do it too) I really admire this beer. I fell in love with my first blueberry stout in Norway three months ago and have been on a hunt for an available substitute ever since. I have found that substitute. Exactly what I look for in an adjunct stout; noticeable berry flavor, with distinct classic stout flavors of coffee and chocolate. I can imagine the beer being better with a bigger aroma and a died down mouthfeel, but hey those are petty complaints. Oh and look at that, I'm near the end of the beer and the head is still there, albeit reduced. Try it, if a bluberry oatmeal stout sounds good to you, you will enjoy it. Cheers to a few more sixpacks!

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

4.24/5  rDev +26.9%

Quite dark with a think white head and solid carbination. Looked a bit like Coca-cola from afar. Blueberry's dominate the scent, and they are quite strong in the taste. The oatmeal and hoppiness balances out excellently. A tad heavy in the mouth, but goes down smooth and without an aftertaste.

A friend brought over a six pack and forgot it in my fridge. Quite a pleasant suprise and hey, it's tough to beat free beer!

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery