Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good
Read the review
Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavor added.

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

Added by dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Nearly black pour with ruby hues at the edges; insane amounts of head, even with a gentle pour. Some sweetness to the smell but blueberries don't stick out in the smell or the taste. Don't get any of the silky smoothness I would expect from an oatmeal stout. A standard stout with not much else going on. Drinkable but nothing special about it.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got this for a friend when he was in southwest Wisconsin. I traded him a beer since I never tried this but he did warn me about the huge head and he was right. These bottles probably went through a second fermentation because the bottle cap had a lot of force behind it and even with a slow pour there was 5 times more head than beer. The aroma is still sweet with malts and blueberries. There are some robust flavors mixed with sweet blueberries but this is way too yeasty and it almost has more of a Belgian texture. Oh well as least I got to try it, but I’m sure that this is not the way it is suppose to taste.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

3.01/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz twist off bottle at about fridge temp poured into a snifter. Just past its best buy date.

Appears black from a distance but when u look down at it there is some definite ruby brown colors showing. Pours with a skim layer of light tan head head that eventually fades to a ring. No real lacing to it, after a swirl of the glass some spotty ale shows but is quick to fall back into the beer.

A bit of blueberry mixes with? I don't know, something stout like, a light stout. Not a whole lot to the aroma on this one. Maybe a touch of something roasted or burnt, but still pretty light.

It's drinkable, but not a whole lot going on for a stout. Some blueberry mixes with a bit of light chocolate, light roast. Finishes with a slight burnt bitterness then back to a kind of fruit flavor.

Hard to say that this is actually an oatmeal stout, I'm getting pretty much no slick creaminess that I almost always find when oatmeal is used in the mash. Lighter bodied than it probably should be.

This was a let down, which was pretty much on par with my expectations. The stout flavors were just lacking. Nothing really off about it, and its pretty drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

3.56/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Large dense tan head crowns a deep mahogany body. The head retention is quite good, thin lacing coats the glass walls.

Aroma: Blueberries are very prominent in the aroma, outshining the base stout. Nonetheless, there are plenty of roasted barley and coffee notes to be had.

Taste: Opens with typical roasted stout flavors, as well as cold coffee. Soon afterward, the blueberries assert themselves, and dominate the taste to the close, although the underlying stout never vanishes; it is secondary to the blueberries. The relatively high ABV (7.5%) is quite artfully concealed, nothing hints of its presence. Finishes slightly sweet, with a moderate hop bitterness, and some charred flavors

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, full, quite pleasant, with no carbonation felt..

Drinkability/notes: Note bad at all, an interesting change of pace.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown,, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

1.24/5  rDev -62.9%

Wow. Talk about regretting a beer purchase... Oatmeal stouts are my go to so when I saw this on the shelf for $30 for the case and 7.5% I figured what the hell ill look it up on BA. At a score of ~80 I went for it. I didn't expect it to be GREAT or anything but for the price figured ill try something a little bit different.

A - normal dark brown/black stout pour. Didn't really spend a lot of time scoping the color because I was too busy waiting for the ridiculous head to settle. 1/3 of the beer with a gentle pour and the beer was erupting into 2-3 inches of head.

S - fairly moderate and tame smell for a stout. Not a lot to take in, small wafts of something sweet and not reckognized.

T - this is an oatmeal stout? I guess. I'm not sure what else you could classify it is so it was their best option. Tastes like what you would imagine acid would taste without burning you. Blatantly unnatural. Not even going to try to analyze this one. Yes there is trace "blueberry" taste but nothing pleasant. It's a chaotic clash of bitter chalky crappy stout characteristics and fake blueberry extract.

M - wow. This is where this beer just goes from poor to shameful. Every sip erupts in your mouth like baking soda and vinegar in the most unpleasant and undrinkable fashion. Precisely the same nuisance that occurred in the pour is now occurring with every sip. And forget about drinking more than 2 of these. That many had me feeling like I hit an all you can eat buffet. But then again, did I really want any more of these?

overall - I can't figure out how this beer mustered an 80ish? I feel bamboozled. Conclusion? Non beer drinking, fruit loving, Stella Artois praising yuppies have sampled this concoction and deduced its dessert sounding name equated to a decadent brew. Steer clear stout lovers, don't make the same mistake as I did. Anyone want to buy 22 more of these?

2.44/5  rDev -26.9%

Got a 6 pack of bottles, first one not quite cold, so it went down the drain when it got too warm for my taste. Second one turned out to be a little better, but still searching for that blueberry taste. Not the best blueberry I've had. Should of only grabbed one and let it chill properly.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have had this beer a couple of times to make sure that I am rating it accurately. The smell, head and body all appear to be something that you will love, however, the finish, mouth and taste lack in what we typically would like in an outmeal stout. I have found that drinking it at a higher temperature yields a much better result - albeit, that is only after two trials. My recommendation - serve at around 60 degrees... The best comes out in it at that range.

2.07/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I Purchased this in a Mix Six pack . I Picked 2 bottles of this beer, regretting that now.Fair amount of white looking sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Poured a white/cocoa 2 finger head which had a rich oatmeal bluberryish smell . A ton of bubbles and fizz , poured into the Fat Tire Tulip glass. The beer was very dark in color .When it took the swisharoo test not much lacing. The beer tasted Like nothing it smelled like. Stout yes, but a very thin style stout. For me the carbonation was out of freaking control.Berry Flavor was way in the back of the taste for me and the front was a faint oatmeal almost ale type flavor?Overall I did not enjoy this myself, but maybe someone who is just getting into fruit style stouts might enjoy this . Happy Hump Day!

2.17/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a rich dark chocolate hue with smells of blueberry pie filling complete with a doughy crust. Taste is flat, burnt and unappealing. Blueberry is hardly noticeable and the rich roastiness I enjoy in a stout is virtually none existent. Mouthfeel is is stinging. The enjoy by 2/15/13 and today being 3/3 may be a clue. Drain pour.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery