Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good
Read the review
Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavor added.

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

Added by dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

Reviews: 246 | Ratings: 493
3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Alright, I needed something to drink to wash that terrible taste out of my mouth from my previous review.

A: Pours a dark brown color. Not very stout-like as this beer can be seen through when held up to the light. Head is very small, but is creamy and leaves light lacing on the glass.

A: Smell is actually very faint. Maybe a light touch of oatmeal and blueberry, but thats it.

T: Yes, you do get quite a bit of blueberry in the flavor. There is also a peppery characteristic that accomodates each sip. Other than that, there are hardly any Stout flavors in here. No roast, coffee or chocolate. A touch of oatmeal, but thats it.

M: Medium bodied. Decent carbonation. Coats the mouth somewhat. Again, not very Stouty, but decent overall.

D: Its a pretty easy drinking beer. I get no detection of the 7.5%ABV at all. Drinks more like a 5% beer instead. Not bad.

This beer is pretty decent. I don't mind Buffalo Bill's brews. Their Orange Blossom is pretty good and their Pumpkin Ale is okay. This is a winter seasonal (I believe), so it might be kind of hard to find in the summer. But, if you can find it, check it out. The six-pack won't last long as this beer is very easy to drink.

3.89/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Dark black color, non-transparent, one finger thick tan color head that faded slowly

S- Fresh blueberries, dark malts, creamy, milk chocolate, earthy, grains

T- Toasted grains, dark malts, blueberries, raspberries, cocoa powder, hint of alcohol

M- Medium body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, creamy, dry bite then oily finish

D- Worth trying

Very nice blueberry auroma but slightly lacking in berry flavor. Definitely interesting and worth trying one if you get the chance.

2.9/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a relatively clear, dark, reddish-brown body with a wispy, light beige head.

Smell: Aroma smelling of light chocolate and roasted barley, all set against some particularly strong wafts of blueberry additive.

Taste: A taste of darkened grains with a subdued taste of unsweetened chocolate powder. Curiously, there's an inherent, unpleasant astringency to whole thing. But, then here comes the tart blueberry tones, though, unfortunately, they have some rather artificial qualities to them. A pity. Finishes with a touch of roasty bitterness and more of that displeasing astringency.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: No, thank you. If you're in desperate need for a blueberry-based stout, please turn your attention rightfully to Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry Stout. The unrewarding blueberry flavoring couldn't (and could never) make up for a deficient stout.

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz. bottle

Pours a very deep mahogany color with a small tan head that maintains. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is kind of muddled. I get some blueberry and some roasted malt smells, but they don't seem to mesh very well and rather compete for dominance.

Tastes like it smells - blueberries and roasted malts, but just not that complimentary of each other. Medium bitterness, dry finish.

Full body, mild carbonation.

Stout and blueberries sounds like a nice combo, but not quite so in this beer. Not offensive, just disappointing.

3.49/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a trust, deep walled 14oz mug.

A: Pours a deep mahogany brown with just the faintest ruby highlights when held up to a light. Pour produces a thin, slightly creamy sandy colored head that quickly reduces to a ring of lacing.

S: On opening the bottle, the first whiff is pure blueberry. Aside from the rush of blueberry fruitiness, I can faintly pick out what I assume is the toasted oats and roasted malts comprising malt backbone of this stout. Smells nice, but I know that can be the kiss of death with fruit beers (looking at you, Banana Bread Beer).

T: First sip is surprisingly a lot like the nose. A distinct, mild blueberry sweetness hits up front but is quickly moderated by the onrush of toasted oats that impart a chalky, oatmeal flavor. Mid sip, there is a tinge of hop bitterness, but it too fades into a slight smoky, toasted bready flavor. The aftertaste begins with some residual blueberry sweetness but dries out into a chalky, bready flavor that encourages another sip to refresh the blueberry sweetness on the palate.

M: To be honest, it might be kind of thin for the style, but I wouldn't go so far as to call this beer watery. The mouthfeel just isn't as full as other stouts, but still does produce a slightly oily slickness.

D: 7.5% ABV but I can't find it at all in the nose or taste, and I'm not really feeling any warming sensation in my stomach. Drinking more than one wouldn't be out of the question.

Another BA described the taste as liquid blueberry oatmeal, and that pretty much nails this beer on the head. Surprisingly pleasant. I think this stout does a servicable job, striking a balance between fruity sweetness and the oats and malts. An easy drinking stout and while it may seem gimmicky and I did pick it up on a whim, it was a nice change of pace.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

Darky black brew poured into the Corsendonk tulip - plenty of tan head, and a nice lip of lace. Time for the main event:
Yep, Blueberry in the aroma, with a dose of malt. The quaff is the key - and it's fitting the bill for me. Not overpowering blueberry, just a nice hint followed by the oaty malt and backbone. Bit thin, like most Buffalo brews, but a decent flavored oaty.
OK - not one I'd get on a regular basis - but a good crossover brew nonetheless.

Huh? BA says this is 7.5% - no freakin way.

3.34/5  rDev 0%

A - a very dark brown body with a quickly fading off-white head

S - Strong smells of oats and blueberries

T - The taste is not as blueberry as the aroma. It is smooth and creamy in flavor with a hint of pepper. It is a strange combination

M - Smooth with little if any carbonation

D - The blueberry flavor is a nice change, but it's not something I could have to many of.

4.02/5  rDev +20.4%

Okay, it is weird. Having said that...

A - Very dark to black, small head leaves to disk. Tight bubbled small lacing.

S - BLUEBERRIES. It's true. How fun. I have a hard time discerning the malt around it.

T - Malt is 50/50 with the blueberries. Would never have anticipated this pairing, but I kind of like it.

M - Medium body, good balance, no complaints.

D - Fun, but could get tiring.

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass - Tasted on 4/28/2009. Bottle brewed by Pyramid on for Buffalo Bill's brewery. I've also had this beer previously on tap at the Brewery itself.

Appearance -- Dark brown/tan with very little head. Head disappeared very quickly, leaving a slight rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Clear head, and minimal lacing.

Smell -- Immediate smell is the smell of syrupy blueberries, with a hint of oatmeal and malts. Smells pretty good, although not as good as the tap.

Taste -- I'm not the biggest fan of fruit beers (although I like blueberry), but I do like dry ciders. The beer itself is relatively dry and has a pretty strong taste of blueberry. The finish is slightly bitter, with the malt and hop flavors coming out in the finish and aftertaste. The blueberry flavor is slightly tart and sour, the way I like it. Not much other depth to it, and the oatmeal flavors do not come out at all. I personally like how the Blueberry is done (in comparison to other Blueberry beers), however there needs to be much more of an Oatmeal Stout flavor.

Mouthfeel -- Not too heavily carbonated, and relatively thin... However, there is a bit of a syrupy stickiness that seems to impart itself, which definitely gets minus points. That syrupy stickiness isn't present in the draft version of this beer.

Drinkability -- Average. There's nothing special about the drinkability of this beer, and the relatively high ABV for a fruit beer doesn't really make it a sessions beer either.

Overall -- Get it on draft if you can -- the beer moves up one whole range in my opinion. The bottles are OK if you can get them for cheap (I know that Grocery Depot in California tends to carry Buffalo Bills 6-packs for 4-5 bucks).

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a dark brown with a lighter amber along the edges. 5/4 inch head of a tan color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells strongly of blueberries, slight hops, and hints of roasted malt. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial Stout. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Not thick like many other double stouts, but not a watery feel. Tastes of blueberries upfront, very slight hop background, and finish is roasted malts. There's a dryness associated with this brew. I'm not getting a lot out of this besides the blueberries (as far as malt and hops). A new type of beer that I'm glad I tried, but not really my forte.

4.66/5  rDev +39.5%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

The beer poured a very thin head which dissipated quickly. It had a dark coloration like typical Oatmeal Stouts and had the texture of a typical one. The smell wasn't bad, however I found both the smell and taste (referring to the blueberries) more absent of the blueberry I would have preferred. Subtle is good, absent is less so. Overall it wasn't a bad brew, but just a very average one. Certainly I've had worse blueberry beers, and its worth trying. The texture of the stout was typical, and I was glad that it didn't have a syrupy flavor to it.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm not a big fan of fruit in beers. Makes me think of Zima, or Bartle's and Jayme's. But there are some standouts that keep me from writing them off -- Pyramid's Apricot Ale is one, and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale is another. So when my fiance brought home a 12oz of BB's Blueberry stout, I figured it was worth a try.

Nothing exceptional or memorable to note about the pour. Maybe a little thinner and a little less head than you'd traditionally expect from a stout, but not dramatically "off," either.

Aroma is _all_ about the blueberries. Very distinct and recognizable from the mouth of the glass. The taste is actually more subtle; not as sweet as I'd feared from the smell and the oatmeal comes through as a kind of grainy undertone.

We split the single 12oz between us, so I didn't get as many sips as I'd usually have to work out the flavor profile. By taste alone, I'm not sure I could have identified this as "blueberry." Something-berry, yes, but if you told me it was blackberry or raspberry, I might have believed you. But the nose definitely gives it away -- it's unmistakable.

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Dark ebony with a thick finger of sand colored foam that leaves some fine lace behind. Smells pretty blueberry heavy with roasted malt. Tastes more blueberry than anything else, otherwise a fairly dry, lighter than most stout with mild hop bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. The oatmeal comes through in the creamy, chalky mouthfeel. A decent brew thats a little too light for an imperial stout but better than other BB's beer that I've had in the past.

2.51/5  rDev -24.9%

The BB Blueberry Oatmeal Stout poured black with a tiny foam head and not much lacing. Quick dissipating head.

The aroma had a faint blueberry smell to it and not much more. It was pretty bitter and a little sour. In the mouth it left a bittering note on the top of the mouth. Overall it seem very thin, lacked smoothness I am used to with an oatmeal stout. The label was more appealing than the beer itself. The 7.5 percent abv is pretty well hidden. It is worth a try but I won't be buying this one again.

2.29/5  rDev -31.4%

My dad bought a six pack of this stuff from the store, after recently visiting their brewery and tasting most of what they had to offer, I was not exactly jumping for joy to try a bottle but I got around to it and today, poured into a Stone pint glass, color is dark brown color with purple highlights, thin vanilla colored head that lasted about five minutes, not much lacing, read that there was thirty pounds of blueberries in each batch and I believe it after sticking my nose in my glass, pretty much dominates except for a little bit of roasted malt and artificial sweetness, taste was straight fruit at first, then faded into some dark malts but not many, it is a bit tart and it does not work at all with the other flavors, just too sweet, mouthfeel is mostly cloyingly sweet with some roastiness, medium bodied, pretty flat as far as carbonation goes, could not drink more than six ounces of it, just finished pouring the rest down the drain, another beer I would never drink again from these guys, probably will steer clear of this brewery period in the future, not recommended

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Got all excited over this one in the grocery store. I love stouts and blueberries. Looks like a stout but the head is there and gone in a second. Initial aroma is medicinal with a hint of fruit. The mouth feel is thin and lacks that stout body, this is lighter than a porter too. Taste is begging for more stout and less fruit. The bitterness is pronounced as well as some blueberry sweetness with a tart finish. Tastes better as it warms up. But near the end, a flat beer. Disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle from Belmont Party.

Poured clear ruby color with a medium frothy brown head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Medium berry friut and chocolate aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture. Medium sweet flavor with medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

This soft fruity beer met my expectations.

3.27/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown (not quite black) with 2 fingers of creamy light tan head. Retains around the edges, with some thin wisps in the center, leaving just a smallish smattering of lacing back. Blueberries dominate the aroma, with some additional notes of oatmeal sweetness, roasted chocolate, and light coffee mixed in.

The Stout is a bit more prominent in the taste, with chocolate sweetness and a combination of roasted bitterness, and coffee notes in the back that mix with blueberry character to give off a somewhat unappealing astringent feel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation but luckily this still stays smooth and overall silky in the mouth from the oatmeal.

This was just OK. Enough blueberry was present but it overall didn't seem to meld well with the Stout qualities. I was one and done with this.

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

pours a rich, murky chocolate brown with a fairly creamy two-finger light chocolate head that leaves fair lacing down the glass. That's where the pleasantries cease, however.

aroma is decidedly blueberry, although in an unpleasant, funky, "is that fake blueberry?" sort of a way. Hints of roasted malts, cocoa, and coffee are all but completely masked by the overwhelming blueberry that isn't quite blueberry muffin enough to be pleasant. verging on sickly.

Taste isn't an improvement. There's hints of some dark malt and cocoa, but it's fairly weak... and quivers in the shadows of the monstrous and brash blueberry. An oatmeal stout? It's hard to tell... the stout qualities are weak, the blueberry overbearing and intrusive. There's an unpleasant citrus bitterness on the finish that isn't helping anything.

Mouthfeel is thin, light, and fairly carbonated. not the creamy oatmeal stout I long for. If this were a bit thicker, I might be able to get past the over-blueberriness and lack of roastiness. but it's not. it's thin and slick enough to let the almost-artificial blueberry completely assault my taste buds.

I had high hopes for this one. but they were quickly quashed. If there was more of a stout to stand up to the blueberry, this could actually be great. But the stout wasn't there... and the blueberry definitely was. Not awful, but not really enjoyable. a novel idea that is fun for a sip or two but not quite solid enough to enjoy the whole bottle.

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Dark translucent/borderline opaque brown with ruby highlights. Pours with <1 finger of tan head, which fades almost instantly, leaving a thin ring. No lacing noted.

S- Blueberries and a slightly unusual boozy quality. A rather unrefined aroma. Not quite off-putting, but certainly not enticing.

T- A slightly sour fruitiness/green blueberry is the first impression, with the more quintessentially mature blueberry flavor peaking on the finish/aftertaste. Sweetness is fairly restrained, and bitterness is minimal. Strange flavor, but not unpleasant when taken as a whole.

M- Moderately high carbonation, which is fairly biting. Rather thin, and not particularly smooth, and wholly lacking in creaminess. Quite off for what I'd expect in an oatmeal stout.

D- Not terrible, but I can't fathom wanting to drink more than one in a sitting.

Future outlook: Not a terrible beer, and was fine for a novel experience, but not something worth revisiting. I'd be interested in trying a full bodied, creamy blueberry-oatmeal stout if one exists (?), but this one doesn't fill that bill.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a deep garnet with just a bit of head that fades very quickly. After that it's still and shiny in the glass with no apparent carbonation.
Smell is sweet and fruity, I'm just not sure if it's blueberries or not. There's a decent amount of dark malt behind it all.
Taste is pretty mellow for a stout. The blueberries come through well but not too strong. Very mellow in the stout department. A bit fizzy as well. Thin mouthfeel and a bit weak overall.

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

My local CB& Potts makes a great blackberry stout, so I had high hopes for this.
Pours a pretty thick dark brown to black color with only a little bit of head.
Smells like a mild (dry Irish'esque) stout with blueberry essence. Not too bad so far.
The taste is weird. The blueberries hit up front, but they aren't really very sweet. The stout flavors are almost non-existant and I pick up a wave of (out of place) hops in the finish. There's also something that just tastes "off" in the finish. The Sunset Wheat blueberry flavors are much better than these and the stout base is pretty weak. It tastes like a homebrew gone wrong.
I finished one glass without too much of a problem, but I'm regretting this six-pack already. My wife flat-out couldn't stand it.
I won't be revisiting this one and I bet this 6-pack lasts a while.
There are definitely worse options, and I admire the idea, but the result is a bit of a bust. This score is probably inflated a little because I wanted to like this.

EDIT: Future tastings of this are actually making me think it's even worse. The hops in the finish combined with that "off" (burnt plastic?) flavor really make this a complete dud. I normally don't change reviews, but every subsequent bottle has made me think this was even worse than the last. Worst beer I've had in years.

3.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a nice dark black, although with only a bit of initial head and no lacing to speak of. Good scent, a huge whiff of blueberry along with a nice bit of burnt grain and smidge of coffee. Nice taste, decent stout characteristics on the way in, notably a bit of coffee and some nice dark grains; a huge mouth of blueberry at the end of the drink; mixes nicely after swallowing (Booberry cereal and coffee for breakfast); no one taste is completely dominant, which helped, too much blueberry would've been bad. Goes down quite well for a higher ABV stout.

3.56/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into nonic.

Pitch black wth a thick two finger light brown head that slowly settles to a thick cap. Lots of bubbles are embedded in the surface giving it a rocky look. Strong stringy webby lacing.

The roasty malts sit far in the background behind a somewhat strong blueberry aroma. It's like the aroma of the blueberries that sit at the bottom of the yogurt cup. I have to say, the aromas don't mix quite well. I'm not liking the contrast. It's not a bad aroma though, and sure to please blueberry fans.

The roasted malts appear in the flavor like in the aroma, but the blueberries add a bit of a pleasant sweet distraction. The malts in the background are very smooth, and support the syrupy sweetness very well. Still, there is a little bit of a plastic-like flavor that's slightly unpleasant. Full bodied. The alcohol seems to sneak through as the beer warms.

This is a good beer, but I feel that the blueberry in the aroma and flavor clashes too much with the roasted malts.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery