Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good
Read the review
Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavor added.

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

Added by dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

Reviews: 252 | Ratings: 501

Black beer, not much head or lacing.

Great unconventional beer. Was skeptical at first, but then decided that was all the more reason to check it out. Blueberry is present, but not overwhelming. Plays well with the roasted malt, can't really decipher any typical coffee or chocolate notes with the malt, kind of muted by the blueberry I guess.

The hops are noticeable, but nowhere near overwhelming. The alcohol is amazingly hidden, as this is a decently potent stout.

I dunno why the reviews are so "meh" about this beer, maybe its from people who don't like stouts, or only like conventional stouts, or are turned off by the fact that it is contract brewed, corporate hands (the people who hate "corporations" sure seem to be judgmental and close minded, but that's another topic) on it or who knows, maybe they just don't like this stout. I happen to like it very much.

2.53/5  rDev -24.3%

A-poured a typical stout dark color. surprised it doesn't have a reddish purplish color considering the blueberries. nice hearty two and a half finger off white/light brown colored head.

S- all i smell is the blueberries and the alcohol.

T- not alot going on with this brew. the blueberry just chills in the back which i thought was going to be more dominant. no real malt presence which bums me out.

M- light bodied. a little to much carbonation for my taste.

D- i'm glad i only bought a single.

Overall- i'm not a stout fan but i thought i'd give this one a try considering my favorite stout is dark horse's tres. to me when i think of stout i think of malts and theres no malt taste to this beer. i say buy a single first or don't even waste your money.

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%

A- A careful pour yielded a very thin, cream colored head which quickly vanished. No lacing. Body was an opaque dark brown, as expected from a stout. No carbonation was observed from the sides of the glass.

S- Big blueberry aromas along side of classic smell of roasty chocolate malt. The blueberry is sweet smelling, and seems synthetic. For some reason (strangely), I'm also getting hints of nutmeg off the nose.

T- The roasty flavors of chocolate malt are up front, along with some restrained blueberry flavor- definitely less blueberry than I would have anticipated from the nose. Some low-alpha hop character comes into play about halfway through the sip. The finish is semi-dry with a touch of hop bitterness.

M- Medium body with lots of soft carbonation. Could use a bit more backbone here... a little more texture and viscosity.

D- This bottle is enough for me. I didn't feel like I was choking it down, but I definitely won't care for another. The blueberry flavor that I perceived as synthesized was disappointing. The mouthfeel was a little disappointing...

2.8/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A little cola-like in the color profile for a stout and the head doesn't retain or lace particularly well, but the appearance is acceptable

Smell: No mistaking the blueberry aroma on this one; just hard to find the oatmeal stout elements

Taste: A little hint of chocolate, up front, and then the blueberries take over, creating an almost off-putting sweet flavor by mid-palate; after the swallow, the beer tastes like a blueberry puree; hints of roast and oatmeal on the finish are long overdue

Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate carbonation; lacks the thickness and creaminess I would expect

Drinkability: Is this ever disappointing but, then again, I wasn't expecting much given my past experiences with this brewery

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a dark brown with a bit of opacity. A thin bit of tan head, weak lacing and bad retention.

Smell is super sweet, not even blueberry sweet, but closer to brown sugar sweet. Overpowering.

Taste is also very sweet. Brown sugar and malt sweetness dominate, not even a hint of blueberry except when I burp. A bit of spice in the finish but its hardly worth mentioning.

Mouthfeel is sticky. Medium bodied, carbonated as if its a soda, which makes it hard for me to drink.

Drinkability is low. I finished this out of respect for beer in general but I'll never drink this again. Not a hint of blueberry anywhere..

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my nonic pint glass. The stout appears a dark brown color with about two fingers of dense ecru foam. Smell and taste is dominated by blueberries followed by notes of dark roasted grains, cocoa dusted dried blueberries, and milk chocolate. Roasty, bitter and sweet. A notch better than medium in body with ample carbonation for the style. One of the better blueberry flavored beers on the market. Worth a try if you dig blueberries.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Alright, I needed something to drink to wash that terrible taste out of my mouth from my previous review.

A: Pours a dark brown color. Not very stout-like as this beer can be seen through when held up to the light. Head is very small, but is creamy and leaves light lacing on the glass.

A: Smell is actually very faint. Maybe a light touch of oatmeal and blueberry, but thats it.

T: Yes, you do get quite a bit of blueberry in the flavor. There is also a peppery characteristic that accomodates each sip. Other than that, there are hardly any Stout flavors in here. No roast, coffee or chocolate. A touch of oatmeal, but thats it.

M: Medium bodied. Decent carbonation. Coats the mouth somewhat. Again, not very Stouty, but decent overall.

D: Its a pretty easy drinking beer. I get no detection of the 7.5%ABV at all. Drinks more like a 5% beer instead. Not bad.

This beer is pretty decent. I don't mind Buffalo Bill's brews. Their Orange Blossom is pretty good and their Pumpkin Ale is okay. This is a winter seasonal (I believe), so it might be kind of hard to find in the summer. But, if you can find it, check it out. The six-pack won't last long as this beer is very easy to drink.

3.89/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Dark black color, non-transparent, one finger thick tan color head that faded slowly

S- Fresh blueberries, dark malts, creamy, milk chocolate, earthy, grains

T- Toasted grains, dark malts, blueberries, raspberries, cocoa powder, hint of alcohol

M- Medium body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, creamy, dry bite then oily finish

D- Worth trying

Very nice blueberry auroma but slightly lacking in berry flavor. Definitely interesting and worth trying one if you get the chance.

2.9/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a relatively clear, dark, reddish-brown body with a wispy, light beige head.

Smell: Aroma smelling of light chocolate and roasted barley, all set against some particularly strong wafts of blueberry additive.

Taste: A taste of darkened grains with a subdued taste of unsweetened chocolate powder. Curiously, there's an inherent, unpleasant astringency to whole thing. But, then here comes the tart blueberry tones, though, unfortunately, they have some rather artificial qualities to them. A pity. Finishes with a touch of roasty bitterness and more of that displeasing astringency.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: No, thank you. If you're in desperate need for a blueberry-based stout, please turn your attention rightfully to Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry Stout. The unrewarding blueberry flavoring couldn't (and could never) make up for a deficient stout.

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz. bottle

Pours a very deep mahogany color with a small tan head that maintains. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is kind of muddled. I get some blueberry and some roasted malt smells, but they don't seem to mesh very well and rather compete for dominance.

Tastes like it smells - blueberries and roasted malts, but just not that complimentary of each other. Medium bitterness, dry finish.

Full body, mild carbonation.

Stout and blueberries sounds like a nice combo, but not quite so in this beer. Not offensive, just disappointing.

3.49/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a trust, deep walled 14oz mug.

A: Pours a deep mahogany brown with just the faintest ruby highlights when held up to a light. Pour produces a thin, slightly creamy sandy colored head that quickly reduces to a ring of lacing.

S: On opening the bottle, the first whiff is pure blueberry. Aside from the rush of blueberry fruitiness, I can faintly pick out what I assume is the toasted oats and roasted malts comprising malt backbone of this stout. Smells nice, but I know that can be the kiss of death with fruit beers (looking at you, Banana Bread Beer).

T: First sip is surprisingly a lot like the nose. A distinct, mild blueberry sweetness hits up front but is quickly moderated by the onrush of toasted oats that impart a chalky, oatmeal flavor. Mid sip, there is a tinge of hop bitterness, but it too fades into a slight smoky, toasted bready flavor. The aftertaste begins with some residual blueberry sweetness but dries out into a chalky, bready flavor that encourages another sip to refresh the blueberry sweetness on the palate.

M: To be honest, it might be kind of thin for the style, but I wouldn't go so far as to call this beer watery. The mouthfeel just isn't as full as other stouts, but still does produce a slightly oily slickness.

D: 7.5% ABV but I can't find it at all in the nose or taste, and I'm not really feeling any warming sensation in my stomach. Drinking more than one wouldn't be out of the question.

Another BA described the taste as liquid blueberry oatmeal, and that pretty much nails this beer on the head. Surprisingly pleasant. I think this stout does a servicable job, striking a balance between fruity sweetness and the oats and malts. An easy drinking stout and while it may seem gimmicky and I did pick it up on a whim, it was a nice change of pace.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

Darky black brew poured into the Corsendonk tulip - plenty of tan head, and a nice lip of lace. Time for the main event:
Yep, Blueberry in the aroma, with a dose of malt. The quaff is the key - and it's fitting the bill for me. Not overpowering blueberry, just a nice hint followed by the oaty malt and backbone. Bit thin, like most Buffalo brews, but a decent flavored oaty.
OK - not one I'd get on a regular basis - but a good crossover brew nonetheless.

Huh? BA says this is 7.5% - no freakin way.

3.34/5  rDev 0%

A - a very dark brown body with a quickly fading off-white head

S - Strong smells of oats and blueberries

T - The taste is not as blueberry as the aroma. It is smooth and creamy in flavor with a hint of pepper. It is a strange combination

M - Smooth with little if any carbonation

D - The blueberry flavor is a nice change, but it's not something I could have to many of.

4.02/5  rDev +20.4%

Okay, it is weird. Having said that...

A - Very dark to black, small head leaves to disk. Tight bubbled small lacing.

S - BLUEBERRIES. It's true. How fun. I have a hard time discerning the malt around it.

T - Malt is 50/50 with the blueberries. Would never have anticipated this pairing, but I kind of like it.

M - Medium body, good balance, no complaints.

D - Fun, but could get tiring.

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass - Tasted on 4/28/2009. Bottle brewed by Pyramid on for Buffalo Bill's brewery. I've also had this beer previously on tap at the Brewery itself.

Appearance -- Dark brown/tan with very little head. Head disappeared very quickly, leaving a slight rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Clear head, and minimal lacing.

Smell -- Immediate smell is the smell of syrupy blueberries, with a hint of oatmeal and malts. Smells pretty good, although not as good as the tap.

Taste -- I'm not the biggest fan of fruit beers (although I like blueberry), but I do like dry ciders. The beer itself is relatively dry and has a pretty strong taste of blueberry. The finish is slightly bitter, with the malt and hop flavors coming out in the finish and aftertaste. The blueberry flavor is slightly tart and sour, the way I like it. Not much other depth to it, and the oatmeal flavors do not come out at all. I personally like how the Blueberry is done (in comparison to other Blueberry beers), however there needs to be much more of an Oatmeal Stout flavor.

Mouthfeel -- Not too heavily carbonated, and relatively thin... However, there is a bit of a syrupy stickiness that seems to impart itself, which definitely gets minus points. That syrupy stickiness isn't present in the draft version of this beer.

Drinkability -- Average. There's nothing special about the drinkability of this beer, and the relatively high ABV for a fruit beer doesn't really make it a sessions beer either.

Overall -- Get it on draft if you can -- the beer moves up one whole range in my opinion. The bottles are OK if you can get them for cheap (I know that Grocery Depot in California tends to carry Buffalo Bills 6-packs for 4-5 bucks).

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a dark brown with a lighter amber along the edges. 5/4 inch head of a tan color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells strongly of blueberries, slight hops, and hints of roasted malt. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial Stout. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Not thick like many other double stouts, but not a watery feel. Tastes of blueberries upfront, very slight hop background, and finish is roasted malts. There's a dryness associated with this brew. I'm not getting a lot out of this besides the blueberries (as far as malt and hops). A new type of beer that I'm glad I tried, but not really my forte.

4.66/5  rDev +39.5%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

The beer poured a very thin head which dissipated quickly. It had a dark coloration like typical Oatmeal Stouts and had the texture of a typical one. The smell wasn't bad, however I found both the smell and taste (referring to the blueberries) more absent of the blueberry I would have preferred. Subtle is good, absent is less so. Overall it wasn't a bad brew, but just a very average one. Certainly I've had worse blueberry beers, and its worth trying. The texture of the stout was typical, and I was glad that it didn't have a syrupy flavor to it.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm not a big fan of fruit in beers. Makes me think of Zima, or Bartle's and Jayme's. But there are some standouts that keep me from writing them off -- Pyramid's Apricot Ale is one, and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale is another. So when my fiance brought home a 12oz of BB's Blueberry stout, I figured it was worth a try.

Nothing exceptional or memorable to note about the pour. Maybe a little thinner and a little less head than you'd traditionally expect from a stout, but not dramatically "off," either.

Aroma is _all_ about the blueberries. Very distinct and recognizable from the mouth of the glass. The taste is actually more subtle; not as sweet as I'd feared from the smell and the oatmeal comes through as a kind of grainy undertone.

We split the single 12oz between us, so I didn't get as many sips as I'd usually have to work out the flavor profile. By taste alone, I'm not sure I could have identified this as "blueberry." Something-berry, yes, but if you told me it was blackberry or raspberry, I might have believed you. But the nose definitely gives it away -- it's unmistakable.

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Dark ebony with a thick finger of sand colored foam that leaves some fine lace behind. Smells pretty blueberry heavy with roasted malt. Tastes more blueberry than anything else, otherwise a fairly dry, lighter than most stout with mild hop bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. The oatmeal comes through in the creamy, chalky mouthfeel. A decent brew thats a little too light for an imperial stout but better than other BB's beer that I've had in the past.

2.51/5  rDev -24.9%

The BB Blueberry Oatmeal Stout poured black with a tiny foam head and not much lacing. Quick dissipating head.

The aroma had a faint blueberry smell to it and not much more. It was pretty bitter and a little sour. In the mouth it left a bittering note on the top of the mouth. Overall it seem very thin, lacked smoothness I am used to with an oatmeal stout. The label was more appealing than the beer itself. The 7.5 percent abv is pretty well hidden. It is worth a try but I won't be buying this one again.

2.29/5  rDev -31.4%

My dad bought a six pack of this stuff from the store, after recently visiting their brewery and tasting most of what they had to offer, I was not exactly jumping for joy to try a bottle but I got around to it and today, poured into a Stone pint glass, color is dark brown color with purple highlights, thin vanilla colored head that lasted about five minutes, not much lacing, read that there was thirty pounds of blueberries in each batch and I believe it after sticking my nose in my glass, pretty much dominates except for a little bit of roasted malt and artificial sweetness, taste was straight fruit at first, then faded into some dark malts but not many, it is a bit tart and it does not work at all with the other flavors, just too sweet, mouthfeel is mostly cloyingly sweet with some roastiness, medium bodied, pretty flat as far as carbonation goes, could not drink more than six ounces of it, just finished pouring the rest down the drain, another beer I would never drink again from these guys, probably will steer clear of this brewery period in the future, not recommended

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Got all excited over this one in the grocery store. I love stouts and blueberries. Looks like a stout but the head is there and gone in a second. Initial aroma is medicinal with a hint of fruit. The mouth feel is thin and lacks that stout body, this is lighter than a porter too. Taste is begging for more stout and less fruit. The bitterness is pronounced as well as some blueberry sweetness with a tart finish. Tastes better as it warms up. But near the end, a flat beer. Disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle from Belmont Party.

Poured clear ruby color with a medium frothy brown head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Medium berry friut and chocolate aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture. Medium sweet flavor with medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

This soft fruity beer met my expectations.

3.27/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown (not quite black) with 2 fingers of creamy light tan head. Retains around the edges, with some thin wisps in the center, leaving just a smallish smattering of lacing back. Blueberries dominate the aroma, with some additional notes of oatmeal sweetness, roasted chocolate, and light coffee mixed in.

The Stout is a bit more prominent in the taste, with chocolate sweetness and a combination of roasted bitterness, and coffee notes in the back that mix with blueberry character to give off a somewhat unappealing astringent feel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation but luckily this still stays smooth and overall silky in the mouth from the oatmeal.

This was just OK. Enough blueberry was present but it overall didn't seem to meld well with the Stout qualities. I was one and done with this.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery