Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 640 | Ratings: 1,203
Reviews by JerseyKirk:
3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours nearly no head that went away in an instant. Straw colored.

S: Spice right off the bat. Nutmeg more than any other pumpkin spice although all the others are present. Ginger in the background.

T: The taste is a lot more subtle than the aroma would make you think. Much more drinkable.

M: Slightly dry with good body.

O: Really just ok. Better spiced pumpkin beer in terms of flavor. Aroma is too much though.

4.65/5  rDev +56%

All the bad reviews made me sign up just to write an opposing view! I had a 2001 edition of this beer, thought it was outstanding. Got about a half dozen converts inside of a week. I'm not real big on colors, the orangey appearance is neither here nor there. The aroma made me expect a sweeter taste, but happily, you don't get that. However, there's not the pumpkin flavor I was expecting, either. Here's the deal: If you like cinnamon, and you like beer, this is for you. Don't buy the 6-pack if it's un-refrigerated. I could see the spices breaking down in a very short period of time at room temperature.

If you are the type that has to psychoanalyze a beer for every component/ingredient it contains, you may be disappointed. I don't think that's what Buffalo Bill's Brewing intends for this beer. Just drink it, let the fall/holiday memories take you away, smells in the kitchen, the turning of the leaves, childhood Christmas remembrances mingles with the present. This beer was an experience as much as a flavor.

And I promise future reviews won't be so corny. Really. :-)

4.28/5  rDev +43.6%

Trying this one on for the first time before a gig at an Oktoberfest later this evening. Served in a nonic pint.

Appearance : It pours a tea/root beer colored body, like leaves trampled in the mud. The yellow-grey head is initially 2 fingers but recedes within a minute to a silky ring on top. Lacing is sparse and barely hanging on. Opacity is 80%.

Smell : I would say this is probably the most honest representation of a pumpkin ale from the nose. All of the elements are here right off the bat - pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and even some brown sugar and maple syrup. It all comes together in the nose for me. I can't improve on it whatsoever.

Taste : Delicious pumpkin flavor, with pumpkin pie filling and flaky crust, followed by clove and nutmeg, cinnamon, a pinch of sappy brown sugar, ending slightly spiced/bitter with coriander. There is a faint hint of diacetyl in here which I can't say is very rewarding, but the rest of the flavors cover it up pretty well.

Feel : Medium bodied is this beer's home. Appropriate carbonation, delectable and balanced creaminess. The finish is slightly buzzing and nipped.

Overall : When I put this to my lips my hands went up in the air as if to say "why the poor ratings?". I don't know what people look for in a Pumpkin ale, but this one nails it for me. I've had plenty of Pumpkin ales in my time, many of them worthy of a drain pour. This is not one of them. I intend on finishing...nay, enjoying this one till its gone. After that, who knows, I'll probably buy some more.

2.96/5  rDev -0.7%

Medium orange-amber with a soft white head that quickly dissipates to near nothing and leaves minimal lace. The beer smells like freshly baked pumpkin pie (fragrant allspice and baked pumpkin). It's a wonderful aroma that holds great promise. Too bad the taste doesn't measure up to the nose.

The flavors are, again, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices, but the beer is too sweet. There's also something mildly unpleasant in the finish that I can't identify. The mouthfeel strikes me as unsupported and verging on watery.

At least the label is nice and festive. It put me in the mood for a good autumn brew. The smell is enjoyable, but beer is made for drinking. Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale doesn't quite make the grade.

3.54/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't see a date listed on the bottle anywhere.

Appearance: The head of the beer is short and off-white. It fizzles out shortly after pouring and leaves no lacing. The body of the beer is a very dark brown with lighter shades of brown being visible only at the edges when light passes through.

Aroma: It has a nice toasted aroma with a pleasant pumpkin pie spice scent. The toasted aroma is reminiscent of what sometimes caramelizes on the crust of a pumpkin pie.

Taste: The pumpkin pie spice flavor is spot-on. There is this nice mix of what tastes like vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a light touch of clove. Most of the time pumpkin ales will have a stronger clove or cinnamon presence but this one leans a bit more to what tastes like vanilla and nutmeg.

Mouthfeel: The beer really feels thin and watered down. It just doesn't have the body to support the flavors.

Overall: Unfortunately the beer doesn't have much body to it but fortunately that isn't the end of the story here. It is a very flavorful beer and because of that I would still recommend it. The spices are right on the money and quite frankly they make the beer worth drinking. I probably wouldn't buy this beer regularly, simply because it does feel thin, but this is definitely the kind of beer that's good enough to throw into a mix-a-six.

2.45/5  rDev -17.8%

Well this beer was DOA. Looked ok with a yellow copper color and a decent if smallish white head. The smell warned me that I was drinking ginger ale, and when I tasted it I knew I wasn't wrong there was a good does of cinnamon in there too and that actually came through first, but no PUMPKIN flavor and the bland beer beneath this is forgetable.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass mug

Nice light amber colour, thick head that dissipated almost completely after a few seconds,

Faint pumpkin spice aroma, kind of cerealy as well.

Nice hearty flavour not too bitter, faint pumpkin taste had almost a wheaties like after taste, seeing as it's a pumpkin ale I was expecting a pumpkin like taste, especially after the smell. Sadly it's very muted.

The beer itself has a light mouthfeel, nothing special here

It was smooth but had a heartiness to it that I quite liked, the pumpkin ale had no carbonation to speak of

All in all it's not a bad beer but seeing the label as pumpkin ale I couldn't help but feel almost conned after tasting it. I did enjoy the aroma and flavours but to me it's just an almost above average beer

3.66/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1.3/5  rDev -56.4%

Wasn't sure what to expect when I tried this, but it certainly wasn't what I was hoping for. Pours a crystal-clear golden-orange with no head or lace to speak of. Smells of strong sweet cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg with very slight hops. The aroma gives you some expectation that the beer will have interesting flavor. Alas, the taste is completely lacking. Cloyingly sweet with very strong cinnamon and nutmeg flavors. No ale characteristics to speak of. Has the mouth-feel of carbonated water. Undrinkable (I couldn't finish it, at least).

3.44/5  rDev +15.4%

When it was poured from the bottle into the pint glass, it had a dark gold color with a small tan head. The aroma was full of spices. I don't know if it's me, but I always get a bubble gum aroma with pumpkin beers. Anyway, its flavor had all the desirable qualtites of a pumpkin ale except, I found it finished a little light and dry. May be a higher terminal gravity would leave more residual sugar giving some more mouth-feel and a sweeter finish.

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

1.5/5  rDev -49.7%

3.19/5  rDev +7%

I am judging this beer based on what it is, a pumpkin ale and not against a higher standard of the brewing art. Pouring this beer out of a 12oz glass bottle seemed somehow like pouring soda pop. The head was coarse, consisting of large bubbles. Color-wise, it is ruby-ish brown, a dark brown.From an aroma point of view it is very adjuncty with a strong spice character, kind of reminds me of one of those essential oil-based cinnamon air fresheners. I could also detect a nose that reminds me of the amateurish home brews my friend and I used to make. Flavor-wise it has a definite pumpkin and spice character. The after taste is slightly bitter, and a hint metallic. I think this beer would be suitable for someone who doesn't have a developed beer palate and is looking for a "pumpkin beer." Its certainly not overpowering, but not overly watery. Although I probably won't be buying this stuff again I can't say it's bad. For what it is, this pumpkin ale is just fine.

3.7/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another bottled selection of pumpkin beers brought back by the parents from their last trip to the States. Picture on label as above.
Pours a copper orange color, thin white head.
Some pumpkin-type smell, along with a touch of cinammon. Good flavor, well balanced. Malty, with a teaser of pumpkin. Nothing overly spicy or artificial. A solid pumpkin ale. One of the better examples I have tried. A good one for a newbie to the style. Sorry, still doesn't compare to last year's Propeller Pumpkin.

2.45/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into my dimpled mug with a 1 finger white head that disappears more like the carbonation on a ginger ale. There is zero head left after about 10 seconds, nada, zero. The color is that of a liquid caramel, and very clear. To keep with the pop references, looks like a Cream Soda.

Smell is good, but is a little heavy on the sugary sweetness. This smells more like a soft drink than a beer. You get a little bit of spice in the nose, but damn little. I'll let the beer warm a bit.

The taste is decidedly bland. I'm picking up pumpkin and brown sugar with perhaps a little cinnamon to it. However, it doesn't have the cooked "pumpkin pie" taste to it that I somewhat have come to expect, more of a raw squashy taste.

Mouthfeel is watery, with a little bit of thirst quenching spiciness to it.

I just wasn't impressed by this beer. I picked it up in a mixed six pack, and I'm glad I didn't buy a full sixer. This just isn't my thing.

2.95/5  rDev -1%

Had a sampling at work and wanted to keep it in season.

A- Poured a nice dark orangle like color or a light caramel, semi cloudy, Had a mild head of foam that quickly fades and mild carbonation.

S- Has a pretty nice smell to it, alot of clove is noticeable, mild smell of cinnamon as well as pumpkin.

T- To bad the taste wasn't as nice as the smell. Very very mild hints of pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, it didn't have a solid flavor at all, pretty blah. Did was a semi sweet finish.

M- Had ok drinkability, smooth, didn't really have any mid palette at all but finished and left my mouth with a sweet finish.

Overall- I had last years and I remember it being a little more potent and having more flavor to it. I will try next years and see how that is. Cheers

2.9/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.4/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.93/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I literally could not give this beer away. It tastes like pumpkin pie. Not a good pumpkin pie, one that was once frozen and then left out on a counter for 3 weeks. It pours orange with a weak head. There are strong hints of nutmeg and cloying malts. There isn't much pumpkin flavor per se, just too sweet pumpkin pie. Try O'Fallon instead,

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

Very slight notes of pumpkin pie and nutmeg are evident in this beer but overall it is a bland product with little standout points. This is a fun novelty beer for the fall with friends but not something that woudl become a staple of anyones beer fridge.

Definitely lacking any kick or spiciness usually reserved for pumpkin season. The nose is a bit sour I picked up a six-pack at a North Carolina convenience store and dont think I will ever finish it with all the quality beer in the Asheville area. Seems almost like an Oktoberfest with a sprinkle of pumpkin.

2.88/5  rDev -3.4%