Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,196 |  Reviews: 639
Reviews by mikesgroove:
4.03/5  rDev +35.2%

A – Poured nice orange tinted amber. This was very cloudy and hazy which kind of surprised me to be honest. Had a nice overall spiced look to it. A good two inch or more of white foamy lace formed as a head on top and actually had some really good retention as it was still around a good couple minutes later. This gradually settled down and formed a thin film of lace across the top. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass, and this lasted until the end. A decent amount of side glass lace could be seen down the glass and lasted again until the end.

S – Aroma was highly spiced but yet not overpowering as you see a lot with these pumpkins. They usually put too much of everything and try to force home the point of what it is, but this seemed to be very nice and subtle. It had a lighter overall smell then some, lots of nutmeg, and cinnamon and a good amount of fresh grass or even a tree like smell to it. Lots of spice running through it though and I could pick up even on some apple in there as well. I thought the aroma was very well put together overall.

T – Now see I normally am not the greatest fan of these, but this one was very good I have to say. The first thing I noticed was a nice grainy almost yeast like back to it which really served to lighten it up. This was followed by loads of fall spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, lots of spiced apple, just a good all around mix. There was a noticeable hoppy presence and this definitely could not be hidden. Great finish left you wanting another sip almost right away and there was just really an overall light and vibrant feel and flavor to this. Again very well put together.

M – Super light but yet smooth at the same time. Very nice carbonation led itself to this and really helped to push the flavors out at you. This was full of the little carbonation bubbles if that makes any sense at all. It really made it feel silky like and had a great smoothness to it. I was actually quite impressed with how light it felt, but yet at the same time how full and robust the flavors were. This was very nice.

D – Very very good, I mean for something I do not normally like, I could really have gone for another of these almost right away. It just had that great feel to it and a great full flavor. It was not too heavy and was actually quite refreshing. I really enjoyed drinking it and regret I did not have another right away.

Overall I was very impressed. I have never like pumpkin brew, but now I realize I may have just been trying the wrong ones as this was great. I will really go out of my way now to try and find some more I like before the season is over. Really an outstanding light selection here and something that could easily be a good fall session brew. Look out for this if it’s around and give it a shot.

4.28/5  rDev +43.6%

Trying this one on for the first time before a gig at an Oktoberfest later this evening. Served in a nonic pint.

Appearance : It pours a tea/root beer colored body, like leaves trampled in the mud. The yellow-grey head is initially 2 fingers but recedes within a minute to a silky ring on top. Lacing is sparse and barely hanging on. Opacity is 80%.

Smell : I would say this is probably the most honest representation of a pumpkin ale from the nose. All of the elements are here right off the bat - pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and even some brown sugar and maple syrup. It all comes together in the nose for me. I can't improve on it whatsoever.

Taste : Delicious pumpkin flavor, with pumpkin pie filling and flaky crust, followed by clove and nutmeg, cinnamon, a pinch of sappy brown sugar, ending slightly spiced/bitter with coriander. There is a faint hint of diacetyl in here which I can't say is very rewarding, but the rest of the flavors cover it up pretty well.

Feel : Medium bodied is this beer's home. Appropriate carbonation, delectable and balanced creaminess. The finish is slightly buzzing and nipped.

Overall : When I put this to my lips my hands went up in the air as if to say "why the poor ratings?". I don't know what people look for in a Pumpkin ale, but this one nails it for me. I've had plenty of Pumpkin ales in my time, many of them worthy of a drain pour. This is not one of them. I intend on finishing...nay, enjoying this one till its gone. After that, who knows, I'll probably buy some more.

4.65/5  rDev +56%

All the bad reviews made me sign up just to write an opposing view! I had a 2001 edition of this beer, thought it was outstanding. Got about a half dozen converts inside of a week. I'm not real big on colors, the orangey appearance is neither here nor there. The aroma made me expect a sweeter taste, but happily, you don't get that. However, there's not the pumpkin flavor I was expecting, either. Here's the deal: If you like cinnamon, and you like beer, this is for you. Don't buy the 6-pack if it's un-refrigerated. I could see the spices breaking down in a very short period of time at room temperature.

If you are the type that has to psychoanalyze a beer for every component/ingredient it contains, you may be disappointed. I don't think that's what Buffalo Bill's Brewing intends for this beer. Just drink it, let the fall/holiday memories take you away, smells in the kitchen, the turning of the leaves, childhood Christmas remembrances mingles with the present. This beer was an experience as much as a flavor.

And I promise future reviews won't be so corny. Really. :-)

2.96/5  rDev -0.7%

Medium orange-amber with a soft white head that quickly dissipates to near nothing and leaves minimal lace. The beer smells like freshly baked pumpkin pie (fragrant allspice and baked pumpkin). It's a wonderful aroma that holds great promise. Too bad the taste doesn't measure up to the nose.

The flavors are, again, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices, but the beer is too sweet. There's also something mildly unpleasant in the finish that I can't identify. The mouthfeel strikes me as unsupported and verging on watery.

At least the label is nice and festive. It put me in the mood for a good autumn brew. The smell is enjoyable, but beer is made for drinking. Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale doesn't quite make the grade.

Appearance – This one is dingy orange in color (like a pumpkin, of course) with a big head that is white as the driven snow.

Smell – The giant spicy cinnamon surely brings to mind Halloween. The malts and sugars come together nicely to produce a very pumpkin-like aroma.

Taste – Yes, this one reminds me of a tasty pumpkin pie. They hit the nail right on the head with this flavor profile.

Mouthfeel – This medium-bodied ale is creamy in the mouth with a dry finish and laden with powdery spices.

Drinkability – This is a big sipping ale perfect for those cool fall evenings.

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

2.9/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

This beer pours very little head and what's there dissipates quickly. It is very light and refreshing with some sweetness and obviously pumpkin, but very mild doses of both and an even more subtle hint of cinnamon. It finishes clean. By itself it was underwhelming but I can imagine it would be great paired with spicy food or on a hot day.

2.27/5  rDev -23.8%

This one should just be a cinnamon beer. It poured a copper color with a small fizzy white head that did not last long at all. The first thing I could smell was the cinnamon and that's pretty much all I could detect. The taste definantly reflected the smell and was dominated by cinamon flavors with just a touch of malt flavour in the background. The thing that put me off was that there was not much "beer" flavour at all and it seemed like I was drinking something overly sweet. Will not be drinking this one again.

2.58/5  rDev -13.4%

Ginger beer. Ginger ginger ginger. There's some cinnamon underneath the ginger. No pumpkin to be found anywhere, unfortunately.

Much like Shipyard's pumpkin ale is really a cinnamon flavored beer, Buffalo Bill's pumpkin ale is really a ginger flavored beer.

I also get some kind of strange funky aftertaste... kind of smokey.

Um, not good. Not good at all. Better than Shipyard's pumpkin, but that's not saying much.

2.89/5  rDev -3%

I've had some decent pumpkin ales. This isn't one of them. Hazy dark orange color with a medium white head that quickly disappears. Very spicy aroma, mostly clove. The taste is spice, a little pumpkin (although I think that's stretching it). Very muted. I could drink one or two of these, but I'd have to feed the rest to someone else.

3.09/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.7/5  rDev +24.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label lists the abv at 5.2 % abv.

Appearance: The body has a cloudy, deep orange amber color with a small quick fading head on top. The head fades out completely despite lots of visible carbonation rushing to the surface.

Smell: It has some light spice and light squash with a light fruity candy like maltiness. Overall light but balanced.

Taste / Palate: Like its aroma it has a light body with thin pumpkin pie spice and light squash like pumpkin notes. Hop flavor and bitterness are very low. The palate is light and well carbonated making it easy to drunk. Notes: It is definitely not the most complex pumpkin beer but there are no unpleasant or off flavors. The highlight to this beer is that I could drink quite a few of these in a session unlike some of the heavier spiced pumpkin ales.

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

3.01/5  rDev +1%

12oz brown bottle brewed by Pyramid Ales for Buffalo Bill's Brewery.

Fizzled head leads to almost no lacing at all. Orange haze show some bubbles racing to the top. The pumpkin and spice aroma are present with clove more in the front. Slick and crisp wet body. Spice is there for sure, suggestions of cinnamon and clove are easy to pick out. Bit of pumpkin flavor is layered on the dry and mono-tone maltiness. Minimal hops and a little watery in the semi-dry finish.

I have to wonder how different the bottle version is from the actual source. It has the bells and whistles for the style but the beer component struggles a bit.

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a clear, copper amber body with a shortlived, offwhite head that leaves minimal, collar lace.
Immense aroma of pumpkin pie spices in the nose.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery, but has ample carbonation.
Pie spices and some caramel malt dominate the taste. Hops provide a herbal bitterness. Plenty of spicy nutmeg, ginger, mace, and allspice are tasted, but the thin body is watery.
Easy drinkability due to the thin body, but this is not an asset here. Not very substantial except for the nice pumpkin pie spices.

3.6/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, orange-brown in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: nutmeg, toasted malt, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice

Taste: cinnamon, clove, followed by pale malt that leads to pumpkin spiciness at the end.

Mouthfeel: sweet but not overly so, high carbonation, medium-light bodied

Drinkability: A nice and solid pumpkin ale. Not boundary pushing, yet more complex then several i have had this year. I would get a six of this.

The beer pours an orange color with a small white head. The aroma is grain and cinnamon, with a few other assorted spices thrown in. The flavor is similar. I get a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon notes, as well as a hint of cinnamon. Overall, the beer is lacking in the aroma and flavor and doesn't stand up to the better pumpkin beers. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.55/5  rDev -48%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Almost no head. More of a thick lace that dissipates quickly atop a dark golden brown brew. Lots of bubbles inside brew.

Smell is obviously pumpkin like - sort of on the sweet side.

Taste is very little pumpkin (or spice for that matter), more of just a beer taste. Taste more like a mass market pumpkin candy. Nothing great about this beer, yet it seems to be a popular seller. I do taste a tad bit of nutmeg, as well.

Mouth feel is fine if you can stand the bad taste, and I guess it is easily drinkable if you like drinking bad beer that has the taste of a truck stop pumpkin pie.

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%