Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 1,192 |  Reviews: 638

1.5/5  rDev -49%

Pours a half finger of oranged white head over a cloudy light copper-rust liquid. Soda pop head rapidly disappears. Smells of old allspice and some nutmeg. Like a rarely used spice cabinet. Dirty earthy character, but no malt, esters, or pumpkin to speak of.

Blech! Tastes like stale allspice. Not enough nutmeg or cinnamon to balance the flavor and absolutely no pumpkin. The allpsice comes across as medicinal and hangs in the aftertaste unpleasantly. Md body that's a bit slick, but leave dry in the finish.

That's all I have to say as this beer is a dumper.

1.5/5  rDev -49%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm not really going to waste my time on a full review on this beer as I really don't feel it deserves one. I picked this up at Bevmo a few months ago hoping it would be decent at best. It's not. Even this bottle I let age for 5 additional months is not any better. The spices don't work - in fact they taste 'seperated' from the rest of the beer. Where's the pumpkin??? Tastes like they poured in a bunch of spices w/o worry about how overwhelming the spice is. The beer portion of this tastes bland and boring. Not recommended.

1.53/5  rDev -48%

Halloween is four weeks away, but it's not too early to sample my first pumpkin ale. Said to be the original pumpkin ale, this batch was contract-brewed by Pyramid Breweries. On to the beer:

Very light bodied orange in color with a head that drops quickly into nothing. Lifeless appearance. It smells like autumn with an array of spices and pumpkin with a touch of dextrin. The taste begins with a flavor of seltzer water. A weak pumpkin flavor kicks in with a dizzying dose of more seltzer flavor that provides an astringent bitterness. Malt is detectable, but thin.There's not much else to be found. Feels like seltzer water too. After a few sips, it became hard to swallow. Do I have any takers for the rest of the sample?

The label describes this beer as "ale brewed with real pumpkin and spices". Now that might be true, but to me it tasted like "seltzer water with pumpkin extract and orange coloring". Okay, so this was my first pumpkin beer, but this sample was awful. One of the worst beers I've had the dishonor of trying.

1.53/5  rDev -48%

Clear amber-yellowbrew, perfectly clear. Thin white head of foamy bubbles. Minimal carbonation. No lacing. it's a bit insipid looking.

Allspice, nutmeg and clove character on the nose, but it's sickly and overdone. Overpowered by the added cloves. Way, way too much, ends up like a big bag of cloves.

Ridiculously thin body with almost no flavour. Like Budweiser with the flavour turned down, with only a lingering final hint of cloves. Very little character, almost nothing to it. Mouthfeel is as thin as anorexic water.

What the hell is this? Pumpkin is a rich, sweet creamy flavour. Pumpkin with pie spices even more so. This is watery insipid and bland. I said some even more flagrant things in my original review - suffice it to say I was incredibly disappointed with my first example of Pumpkin Ale.

1.55/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Almost no head. More of a thick lace that dissipates quickly atop a dark golden brown brew. Lots of bubbles inside brew.

Smell is obviously pumpkin like - sort of on the sweet side.

Taste is very little pumpkin (or spice for that matter), more of just a beer taste. Taste more like a mass market pumpkin candy. Nothing great about this beer, yet it seems to be a popular seller. I do taste a tad bit of nutmeg, as well.

Mouth feel is fine if you can stand the bad taste, and I guess it is easily drinkable if you like drinking bad beer that has the taste of a truck stop pumpkin pie.

1.62/5  rDev -44.9%

sorry. this beer pours very light amber. little carbonation. no head. no lacing. smells of cloves and pumpkin smell. either i am not a pumpkin beer guy or this is just bad. sorry. i will try something else from this brewer cuz i hate to leave on the bad aftertaste that this beer leaves me and judge them on this alone.

giblet

1.67/5  rDev -43.2%

tastes like a first attempt at home brew, slightly sour yeast flavor, cloudy amber appearance, smells neutral to sour, not a beer I would drink again. even michelobs pumpkin beer is better. do not, do not buy this at any price, just isnt worth the tourble

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

A - clear copper color. 1 finger head quickly dissapates into a bubbly thing cap thing.

S - sweet with spices. smells like it should.

T & M - very sweet and very very carbonated. mild spices and almost no pumpkin is present.

D - how this pumpkin soda passes for a beer is beyond me. avid this beer at all costs. don't even give it a try. drain poured after 3 sips...ugh!

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

Bought a six-pack just trying to find a pumpkin ale to use as a tool to make one myself.

Could not finish this one...and I tried...color was very weak, and it was like drinking soda water..too much fizz, absolutely no head, and the taste was not anything like I expected. My brewing companion and I tried as I said to get it down...but niether of us liked it.

Did not get a sense of pumpkin at all. Spice was evident, and the overall beer was not strong enough to carry it.

Not recommended

1.71/5  rDev -41.8%

I was expecting much more from a beer with pumpkins, boy was I ever disappointed.
A: Cloudy orange in color. Scant little head with no lacing.
S: Pumpkin smell is barely there, it's literally overwhelmed by smells of ginger and cinnamon. No smells of malts or hops. This smells more like some alcoholic fizzy coffee shop drink.
T: Some pumpkin taste that can only be noticed after letting this one warm past the point I think I should drink this (read: almost room temp). The spices aren't as pronounced as the horrible smells would lead me to believe. Solid malt base. No real hop flavors.
M: Too fizzy, the carbonation carries the smells around the mouth and into the nose. If this beer smelled good, that would be a good thing. It's not. No noticeable alcohol warmth. Leaves a sickly sweet film on my tongue.
D&N: I really wanted to like this one. I can't. I've tried it cold, I let it warm up, all to no avail. I like pumpkins, I think I want to try a DFH before avoiding pumpkin beers from now on. This beer is just too mired down by the overwhelming heaviness of the spices. This is the first beer in a long time I poured into the sink.

1.72/5  rDev -41.5%

I was not able to finish even half of the bottle that I bought of this stuff (thankfully it was a mix-six, so I didn't lose that much money). Had I known what I was in for I would've thrown it right in the trash (or never picked it up in the first place... that would've been nice).

Basically, it's a penny-colored, overly-carbonated spice fest. There were no detectable pumpkins in the aroma or the taste. It felt and tasted like I took a glass of seltzer water, dumped a crap ton of cinnamon spice in it, and chugged it. Again, no drinkability to it; stay far away from this stuff.

NOW! To be a bit a more constructive:

Lose some of that carbonation, Bill. Maybe try using some actual pumpkins next time (perhaps take a few notes from Dogfish Head's brew). Also, please spare our tongues and ease up on that spice, guys.

1.73/5  rDev -41.2%

The first in this year's series of Pumpkin Ale tastings. Fresh batch from Total Wine & More in mid-September 2005.

Appearance- Pours a relatively light amber with a small 1/2" head that quickly vanishes into my tasting glass. Very thin body, little activity in the glass. Looks like iced tea with a ring of foam.

Smell- Cloying sweetness on the nose with a combination of pumpkin and spices, namely cinnamon. Barely a malt note, and not a trace of hops.

Taste- Sugary soda, with an artificially flavored cinnamon spice aftertaste. This drinks more like a carbonated soft drink than a beer, and tastes like it comes from a can at the local deli-mart. Again, there are no hop or malt notes at all; just a horrible sweetness that tastes like a mass market soda.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Watery and thin, the 7UP-like introduction on the tongue is followed by a disappointingly nondescript middle and finish. So boring that I sit here completely flabbergasted that a pumpkin beer I've seen for years could have been crafted so poorly, with nothing interesting or great whatsoever to speak of.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery