Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 1,192 |  Reviews: 638
3.88/5  rDev +32%

3.6/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

4.15/5  rDev +41.2%

4.64/5  rDev +57.8%

Appearance : Quite tea-colored, which is perfect for a fall beer, and the head is sparse, typical for a pumpkin ale.

Smell : From the moment you open up the bottle, you get a nice whiff of Pumpkin and cinnamon. It smells like Fall! Of all the Pumpkin beers I've tried, I would say this one has the most honest-to-goodness Pumpkin scent of any.

Taste : Delicious form the get-go, with a nice lingering after taste that sits comfortably on the palate. I'd say it's fairly complex, for what it is, though not in a hoppy way. This beer is like taking a big swig of autumn.

Feel : Slightly creamy, almost an oily feel to it. A little carbonation taste, but not too overpowering. It's definitely a rich beer and probably not one you're going to drink more than two or three in a sitting, if that.

Overall : I honestly don't understand the poor ratings from some of the people, though I do think many reviewers on here are inclined to give a low rating to any beer that doesn't curl their tongues with hops. However, I can acknowlege that not everyone is into the whole Pumpkin ale thing, so to each his own. Pumpkin ales are really in their own little category and that should probably be taken into account whenever someone tries one. It's kind of a seasonal niche market that only comes around once per year.

But for those of you who go hunting each fall for a great Pumpkin ale, give this one a try. It brings back happy autumn/halloween memories whenever I have one.

3.56/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.28/5  rDev +45.6%

3.67/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.09/5  rDev +5.1%

3.15/5  rDev +7.1%

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a clear coppery color with off-white head. Roasted pumpkin, malt, and some squash notes on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with more vegetal pumpkin than I like.

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.19/5  rDev +8.5%

I am judging this beer based on what it is, a pumpkin ale and not against a higher standard of the brewing art. Pouring this beer out of a 12oz glass bottle seemed somehow like pouring soda pop. The head was coarse, consisting of large bubbles. Color-wise, it is ruby-ish brown, a dark brown.From an aroma point of view it is very adjuncty with a strong spice character, kind of reminds me of one of those essential oil-based cinnamon air fresheners. I could also detect a nose that reminds me of the amateurish home brews my friend and I used to make. Flavor-wise it has a definite pumpkin and spice character. The after taste is slightly bitter, and a hint metallic. I think this beer would be suitable for someone who doesn't have a developed beer palate and is looking for a "pumpkin beer." Its certainly not overpowering, but not overly watery. Although I probably won't be buying this stuff again I can't say it's bad. For what it is, this pumpkin ale is just fine.

4.68/5  rDev +59.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale brewed Buffalo Bill's Brewery, with an ABV of 6.0%. This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice off white head. I really like the color of this brew. The smell of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale , is rich with pumpkin and spices. There is also some nice grins,malts and hit of hops , in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. You pick up a nice rich pumpkin spice with some nice grains at the end .This brew smell and taste like pumpkin pie, not saying that is a bad thing. Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouth feel of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale ,is rich ,bold ,spicy, and smooth. Overall I'm giving Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale a 4.75 out of 5. Buffalo Bill's Brewery,did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. This is one of the more balance pumpkin brews on the market. Not to much spice, not to much pumpkin.

3.66/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.19/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.82/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.31/5  rDev +46.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

i really liked this beer. i feel it had a lot more notes of real pumpkin than just the spices like most of them are becoming. maybe the fact that i live fairly close to the brewery affects my beer's taste, you know, the fresher the better? ...or something like that.

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.28/5  rDev +45.6%

Trying this one on for the first time before a gig at an Oktoberfest later this evening. Served in a nonic pint.

Appearance : It pours a tea/root beer colored body, like leaves trampled in the mud. The yellow-grey head is initially 2 fingers but recedes within a minute to a silky ring on top. Lacing is sparse and barely hanging on. Opacity is 80%.

Smell : I would say this is probably the most honest representation of a pumpkin ale from the nose. All of the elements are here right off the bat - pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and even some brown sugar and maple syrup. It all comes together in the nose for me. I can't improve on it whatsoever.

Taste : Delicious pumpkin flavor, with pumpkin pie filling and flaky crust, followed by clove and nutmeg, cinnamon, a pinch of sappy brown sugar, ending slightly spiced/bitter with coriander. There is a faint hint of diacetyl in here which I can't say is very rewarding, but the rest of the flavors cover it up pretty well.

Feel : Medium bodied is this beer's home. Appropriate carbonation, delectable and balanced creaminess. The finish is slightly buzzing and nipped.

Overall : When I put this to my lips my hands went up in the air as if to say "why the poor ratings?". I don't know what people look for in a Pumpkin ale, but this one nails it for me. I've had plenty of Pumpkin ales in my time, many of them worthy of a drain pour. This is not one of them. I intend on finishing...nay, enjoying this one till its gone. After that, who knows, I'll probably buy some more.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery