Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 1,197 |  Reviews: 639
2.34/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

"America's Original Pumpkin Ale"

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a slightly hazed brownish amber color with a thin fizzy head that completely disapears within a few seconds. The aroma is mostly holiday spices with just a touch of malt. The taste features just a touch of pumpkin flavors with spices that finishes pretty watery. The mouthfeel is thin and watery with soda-like prickly carbonation. Overall, this is just not a very good brew. It seems to be thrown together into quite a mess. Not recommended.

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a clear coppery color with off-white head. Roasted pumpkin, malt, and some squash notes on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with more vegetal pumpkin than I like.

1.53/5  rDev -48.7%

Clear amber-yellowbrew, perfectly clear. Thin white head of foamy bubbles. Minimal carbonation. No lacing. it's a bit insipid looking.

Allspice, nutmeg and clove character on the nose, but it's sickly and overdone. Overpowered by the added cloves. Way, way too much, ends up like a big bag of cloves.

Ridiculously thin body with almost no flavour. Like Budweiser with the flavour turned down, with only a lingering final hint of cloves. Very little character, almost nothing to it. Mouthfeel is as thin as anorexic water.

What the hell is this? Pumpkin is a rich, sweet creamy flavour. Pumpkin with pie spices even more so. This is watery insipid and bland. I said some even more flagrant things in my original review - suffice it to say I was incredibly disappointed with my first example of Pumpkin Ale.

2.74/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in a pint glass the beer pours an orange/amber color, with a good sized white head which goes away very quickly. Very strong smell of cloves, along with pumpkin, nutmeg and other spices. Probably the best smelling, or at least it has the strongest smell of the pumpkin beers I've had lately. However, the taste isn't as strong. The taste is mainly of cloves and other spices with a small bit of pumpkin. The mouthfeel is watery and thin, and it's more soda-like than anything else. The drinkability is OK, but not great. The aroma was definitely the best part of the beer, it all went downhill from there.

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours a crystal clear body that is warm orangish-brown with a creamy very light tan head. Strong carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- The bold smell of fresh ginger is the first and strongest of the spices. A little allspice and cloves with a hint of cinnamon hidden in the background.

T-The taste of fresh cinnamon bark right off the tree really pops out. Faint notes of cloves and allspice are blended in but much fainter. No real notes of hops or malt can get through the spices.

M-Medium mouthfeel with no astringency or alcohol warmth

D- Even thought the spices are big and bold and out shadow the flavors characteristic of beer, I enjoyed it. The ginger aroma and the cinnamon taste really kind of work together. I don't think I can drink any more of this one but I it makes me want to try a pumpkin beer that has a good balance of pumpkin spice and hops, malt or alcohol. This could be the "gate-way" pumpkin beer.

3.02/5  rDev +1.3%

2.76/5  rDev -7.4%

12oz stubby brown bottle poured into a pint

Pours a clear brownish orange with a foamy, two finger slightly off white head. Minimal visible bubbles find their way through the body. Not a very appealing look to this beer.

Aroma is of allspice, clove, pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pumpkin pie all the way. Lightly sweet with a toasted biscuit malt presence that gives the illusion of pie crust.

Spices take control of the palate while the pumpkin lays somewhat idle underneath. Allspice and cinnamon up front with a sweet finish of nutmeg. Some fleshy pumpkin holds down the back end with the biscuity malt.

Thin and watery. Light body with pretty average carbonation.

This beer goes down pretty easy if you are a fan of pumpkin beers. Not overly sweet or bitter with a manageable abv. I didn't think this was terrible, but it wasn't that good either.

2.37/5  rDev -20.5%

A clear pumpkiny amber with light bubbling. Crappy soap foam head. No retention. No lacing. A very soapy, bloody, spicey pumpkin mix greets the nostrils. Plenty of powdery pumpkin pie spices hit the tongue with the first sip. As the beer warms, the more harsh flavors mellow out a little and the malty pumkin-ness inches closer towards center stage on my tongue.

2.85/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer pours a cloudy, light-orange color with a puffy white head. Head fades quickly, and produces no lace. Smell is unquestionably pumpkin, but also fruit-like (seemed to smell apricots?). Soft, full mouthfeel. Foretaste is sweet. There are some spice tastes that seem to confuse the overall pumpkin character of the beer. Could have been better, but I always seem to recall pumpkin beer (almost all pumpkin beer) tasting better the previous year....

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

3.81/5  rDev +27.9%

Deep golden color. Not deep enough though. I expect a deep amber or orange or copper when it comes to Pumpkin ales. A slight off-white head recedes to the thinnist of coatings. The rimming sticks around for a while. I love the aroma of this beer. While spices are present, it's much more. It actually smells like pumpkin pie. The nose consists of clove, nutmeg and cinamon sprinkled atop a pumpkin pulp and caramel malt base. Flavor profile is more of the same, except less of the all important pulp/malt base. Just a tad heavy on the cloves. Also some cinamon and allspice. There's a slight sweet pulp taste. And some caramel malt backing. Just not enough. I used to like this one a lot more. Haven't had it for 2 years now. I still like it...but not quite as much.

2.89/5  rDev -3%

I've had some decent pumpkin ales. This isn't one of them. Hazy dark orange color with a medium white head that quickly disappears. Very spicy aroma, mostly clove. The taste is spice, a little pumpkin (although I think that's stretching it). Very muted. I could drink one or two of these, but I'd have to feed the rest to someone else.

3.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I got a bottle of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale that my friend Ben brought over for me to try. I have never tried this beer before I always passed it up at the beer store because I heard it wasn't that good. but because my friend gave it to me to try I'm going to give this beer a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's not the best, but it isn't the worst either. It poured a cloudy orange color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that eventually faded to nothing and it didn't leave any lacing. This was a pretty average looking Pumpkin beer, the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a molasses like aroma to it with a good amount of pumpkin pie spices showing up with cinnamon seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some malts which imparted some sweet and caramel malt aromas that were a little on the light side and there was a light amount of pumpkin like aromas showing up also. The aroma was ok, but the spices seemed to be a little too dominating.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a higher amount of those same pumpkin pie spices that I got in the aroma, but this time the cinnamon and nutmeg seem to stick out an equal amount. Up next some a lighter amount of those sweet and caramel malts followed by an equally light amount of pumpkin flavors. On the finish there was pretty low amount of bitterness with a pumpkin pie spice aftertaste. The taste wasn't bad, but just like the aroma the spices seemed to be too dominating.

M- Smooth, crisp, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it seemed to work well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and as far as Pumpkin Ales go I would say this is just about as average as they get, it's got the tell tale sign of an average Pumpkin beer with the spices being the most dominant aspect and covering up some of those malts and pumpkin flavors. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling, but the flavors didn't really hold my attention so I think one would be enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was nice and it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer were the dominating spices, if they were toned down some this beer could have some potential. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not hard to find a much better pumpkin beer. I wouldn't really recommend this as a good pumpkin beer. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't that great, but it was still better than I thought it would be. Better luck next time guys.

2.39/5  rDev -19.8%

Two things jump out at me....excellent nose...horrible mouthfeel....

Pours a hazy orange...off-white head....big pumpkin pie like smell...the aroma is awesome...first sip and I can tell something is bad..very bad...feels like a light beer does in the mouth....thin...watery....the flavors don't come close to the smell but there is some pumpkin pie like notes....

Overall I wouldn't drink this again....I'd smell it again for sure though....if you want to buy it just to smell I guess I'd advocate that but if you are going to put the glass to your lips I'd stay away....Not impressive at all except for the smell...

3.15/5  rDev +5.7%

Kind of a dull amber color to it, not much head or lacing. Smell was definitely pumpkin.

Taste, lots of pumpkin, cinammon prolly some other Thanksgiving type of spice, nutmeg, s too. Very season in its feel. Big carbonation throughout. No hops. No bitterness. This is an Octoberfestish style of beer I can tolerate. I like the pumpkin. A little pricey though, I mean, no hops, no malt, pumpkins are dirt cheap . . . why is this 8-10 bucks a sixpack? Because of that, and the fact that its the kind of beer I don't want more than 12 oz of in a day, I docked some drinkability off of it.

3.03/5  rDev +1.7%

3.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Regular pumpkin ale pour: copper (why aren't these orange... like pumpkins?) and hazy. Maybe not enough of a head but I'm in a generous mood today.

Smells like a big bolt of fruity pumpkin and then allspice and ginger. Nice.

Mmm... a very interesting spice profile, going more towards the spicy than the sweet (the latter being the wont of your typical pumpkin ale). Upfront, the sweetness of the malt and the pumpkin blends well against this white pepper/ginger blend, but near the end the spices get a bit too strong. It tastes like black pepper with a hint of allspice. That's it.

Poor ending aside, this is indeed a solid pumpkin beer, and the spiciness does grow on you. I wish more brewers would try changing things around with this style, as it tends to get pretty bland.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery