Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 635 | Ratings: 1,185
2.81/5  rDev -4.4%

Smells like it's going to be good. I can taste pumpkin, hazlenut, cinnamon, as promised, but seems more like a light beer -- not much beer flavor to it. It's like drinking Miller Light out of a pumpkin. I'd drink it again, but wouldn't buy it again. Might be good to suggest for someone who doesn't like beer. My girlfriend doesn't like beer, and she liked it because it tastes like pumpkin and not much like beer.

2.92/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Looks nice with a coppery color, nice a clear, but disconcertingly, it loses the white head almost immediately.

S: Malts, some pumpkin spice, but not much at all. The smell was strangely not apparent.

T: Again, pumpkin spices are there, just not very strongly for a pumpkin ale. Some maltiness as well. It's not bad, but not very good either, just kind of there.

M: Slight carbonation, not entirely unpleasant

O: I like pumpkin ales so this is preferred to many beers, but this is most certainly not my favorite of the pumpkin beers.

2.21/5  rDev -24.8%

I cracked open this beer recently and the smell was actually pretty good. it poured an nice orangish-red color. After sipping it, the mouthfeel reminded me of Budweiser or PBR, pretty carbonated and thin. The flavor was almost overwhelmingly sweet to me; they could have used less malt or a some more hops.

Two of my roommates who aren't big beer drinkers actually loved the flavor and said it was a great beer though.

3.37/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a small mug.

Always an exciting time of year when the pumpkin beers come out. Picked this one up with a pack of New Hollands Ichabad Pumpkin Ale.

The pour is a nice orangey fall color, leaving a medium-thick bubbly head. A very orange colored beer.

When i smell this beer it makes me think of the fall. very natural spices and pumpkin aroma. Strong notes of nutmeg and all-spice. A decent amount of pumpkin smell is present.

Taking the first sip now... much more pronounced pumpkin flavor than the Ichabod Pumpkin Ale.. not too exciting flavor but it is a solid pumpkin beer. not much hop or malt flavor. A bit bland to me.

I would say so far this is my favorite of the regular pumpkin ales. I have noticed most pumpkin ales are very bland beers, so they don't interfere with the pumpkin flavor. I wish I could find a beer that had a complex ale and pumpkin flavor; making the two work together rather than just showcasing the pumpkin. A very easy drinking beer with good pumpkin and spice notes. Nothing to get too excited about.. yet better than most of it's kind.

Cheers!

4.59/5  rDev +56.1%

This Pumpkin Ale is one of the best I've had. The first impression was that it smelled and even tasted like dirt, which isn't a bad thing for me. The color is medium orange with a light head... light yet airy and foamy.
The smell is of nutmeg, cinnamon, and of course, some pumpkin. It has a fresh, earthy smell that can only be described as dirt. It's not at all like eating pie... think more of a roated pumpkin with browned butter. The taste is just like the smell... fresh yet earthy... dirty. I wouldn't describe it as chewy at all because this is still a lighter beer. There's a slight sharpness yet an underlying sweetness/spice. Definetly a very drinkable beer. I would say it's great with a rubbed, grilled pork loin for a fall grill....

1.77/5  rDev -39.8%

At first appearance i thought this was going to be extraordinary. The packaging looks Americana, the pour is heady and it has some nice initial aromas.

Then you taste...

Like the silent friend thats laughing to himself in the crowded room because he knows he cut something fierce- this is what that brewery did when you brought your 6 pack up to the counter to try to spend your hard earned money on an inferior product.

This is absolutely disgusting and possibly the worst pumpkin beer on the market. I wanted a beer-Not water with pumpkin spice. Disgusting disgusting disgusting!

4.14/5  rDev +40.8%

Pumpkin Pie in a bottle. I like pumpkin pie. I like this beer. If I could drop a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the bottle, I would. The look and feel are not much different than others of its style. The fun is in the spices: nutmeg and some cinnamon. Pretty crisp taste overall. A good choice for after dinner in October.

1.7/5  rDev -42.2%

Bought a six-pack just trying to find a pumpkin ale to use as a tool to make one myself.

Could not finish this one...and I tried...color was very weak, and it was like drinking soda water..too much fizz, absolutely no head, and the taste was not anything like I expected. My brewing companion and I tried as I said to get it down...but niether of us liked it.

Did not get a sense of pumpkin at all. Spice was evident, and the overall beer was not strong enough to carry it.

Not recommended

3.15/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a hazy golden brown with a frothy white head that doesn't stick around long. Smells like your usual fare for pumpkin ales (nutmeg, cinnamon). Taste is pretty much the same with the addition of pumpkin and allspice. Overall a decent fall seasonal that doesn't slam you with too much pumpkin pie essence.

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%

A- Pours light orange.

S- Strong aroma of alcohol and spices.

T- Slightly bitter and acidic, pronounced spice flavor, slight pumpkin taste.

M- Smooth consistency, slightly bitter, an aftertaste of hops and spices can be noted.

D- Very smooth drinking. The presence of pumpkin flavor is not as strong as I had hoped, but still has an okay flavor. I was not fully impressed, but I thought it was good none the less, will have to compare it to other pumpkin ales later in the season.

Serving type: bottle (poured into glass).

Definitely lacking any kick or spiciness usually reserved for pumpkin season. The nose is a bit sour I picked up a six-pack at a North Carolina convenience store and dont think I will ever finish it with all the quality beer in the Asheville area. Seems almost like an Oktoberfest with a sprinkle of pumpkin.

3.11/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a rich amber-brown w/ reddish hues. Thin, off-white head didn't last long.

Smelled strongly of spice -- cinnamon and clove, with a slightly phenolic character. Some thin caramel malt underneath, with a very mild, not unpleasant vegetal (almost sour, but very subtle) character lingering in the background. Very light medicinal / alcohol notes.

Taste-- no surprises here. Spice and caramel malts, with a bit of astringency. Hop bitterness is there for balance. Carbonation is relatively high, and the mouthfeel is thin.

Overall, the thin body and slightly medicinal quality turned me off. This isn't a bad beer, but it doesn't wow, by any means.

2.62/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a nonic, I was not overly impressed by the beer, nor put off. Head was not great, and lacing minimal, and the beer was clearer than I would have guessed. Very average-looking beer.

Smell, pumpkin pie spices more than anything else. Minimal hops, perhaps a bit of malt, but not distinctive.

Taste, too pumpkiny for my blood. I have been fond over the years of several holiday brews (e.g. Anchor Holiday) that had some of the end-of-year spices in there, but in addition to those, this had the ACTUAL PUMPKIN flavor. Not horrible, I drank the whole glass, but about the opposite of a session beer. I "savored" this one for about forty-five minutes before I put it away.

Again, right up the middle. I guess on the bright side, it is about perfect to support the taste. If it was lighter, it wouldn't match with the spicy notes, and if heavier, it could be hard to finish even one.

Drinkability, not so good, for me. I got this six pack as a gift a month ago, and there are still four in the fridge. I don't think this is a bad beer by any means, if you like pumpkin beer. It's just not my cup of tea.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Waaaay too much cloves taste in this beer. Every fall I look forward to drinking a few new pumpkin ales, but this stuff just sucks. I finished the bottle 30 minutes ago and I can still taste the cloves. A "hint" of spices? My big-fat-hairy-beer-drinkin' ass.

3.52/5  rDev +19.7%

Just cracked one open, poured into the trusty old double handed Jax mug. Pours a decently pretty and slightly burnt orange color. Rather carbonated. No lacing or head retention really at all. Taste wise I'm impressed and I'll tell you why. Most pumpkin beers are simply filled with pumpkin spices. This beer you can actually noticeably taste the pumpkin juice itself which is quite refreshing, followed by a well balanced after taste of the usual spice suspects. My only complaint is the body and mouthfeel on this one leave MUCH to be desired, though the taste is really quite good. All in all, a great session beer for those chilly fall nights. Bout to go have another out on the porch and enjoy this new found fall weather. Cheers BA brethren.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The first time I tried this beer I was very pleasantly surprised. All of the flavors were balanced so well. Definitely has become one of my favorite Pumpkin Beers.

The appearance was a very nice reddish orange color with a nice head that dissipated rather quickly.

The smell had a bitter-sweet characteristic to it. Not offputting thought.

The taste was unique in that it definitely carried its pumpkin flavor throughout. I have found that most pumpkin beers carry the pumpkin spice flavor and feel to them. However this one had a different taste in that it was as if you were tasting a fresh pumpkin out of the oven, with subtle notes of nutmeg and the like. This was well received by my palate.

The mouthfeel was average. Though the carbonation was good upon starting to drink it, that dissipated quickly as I drank the beer. Dont let that deter you from trying this though.

Overall I give this beer a hearty recommendation. If you are a pumpkin beer fan, this one definitely shouldn't disappoint.

4.64/5  rDev +57.8%

Appearance : Quite tea-colored, which is perfect for a fall beer, and the head is sparse, typical for a pumpkin ale.

Smell : From the moment you open up the bottle, you get a nice whiff of Pumpkin and cinnamon. It smells like Fall! Of all the Pumpkin beers I've tried, I would say this one has the most honest-to-goodness Pumpkin scent of any.

Taste : Delicious form the get-go, with a nice lingering after taste that sits comfortably on the palate. I'd say it's fairly complex, for what it is, though not in a hoppy way. This beer is like taking a big swig of autumn.

Feel : Slightly creamy, almost an oily feel to it. A little carbonation taste, but not too overpowering. It's definitely a rich beer and probably not one you're going to drink more than two or three in a sitting, if that.

Overall : I honestly don't understand the poor ratings from some of the people, though I do think many reviewers on here are inclined to give a low rating to any beer that doesn't curl their tongues with hops. However, I can acknowlege that not everyone is into the whole Pumpkin ale thing, so to each his own. Pumpkin ales are really in their own little category and that should probably be taken into account whenever someone tries one. It's kind of a seasonal niche market that only comes around once per year.

But for those of you who go hunting each fall for a great Pumpkin ale, give this one a try. It brings back happy autumn/halloween memories whenever I have one.

2.97/5  rDev +1%

I bought a 6 pack of this beer and the artwork on the box and bottle is nice. This beer pours an orange/copper color. I have read reviews of this beer stating that it produces very little head so I decided to give it a pretty hard pour to see what would happen. With a hard pour I managed to get a foamy 2 inch head...however, it completely disappeared within 4 minutes.

The smell is ok...a lot of allspice, nutmeg, & cinnamon. I could not detect any pumpkin in the smell though.

The taste is good...again more pumpkin spices rather than pumpkin itself. It is quite enjoyable, however I don't think I could drink more than one of these at a time due to the spices.

Don't get me wrong, this beer is not bad but it could be so much more.

The mouthful is carbonated and some what light in weight.

This beer would be fun to serve to "non-Beer Advocate" people at a Holloween or Thanksgiving party. However, if you are wanting a great pumpkin beer than I would recommend going elsewhere.

Cheers.

4.22/5  rDev +43.5%

this beer is like thanksgiving in your mouth you can taste the pumpin cinnamon and all the other floral smells that thanksgiving has to offer i would definatly have this with turkey it would be freakin perfect dont pass this one up i got it at my grocery store

3.37/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Nice golden-orange hue with an admirable head that recedes to a comfortable film by the glass's end.

Smell: Nutmeg, clove, cinnamon and far off in the distance is the pumpkin.

Taste: Good carbonation, but the flavors (i.e. spices and bit of pumpkin) don't make there present until the finish.

Mouthfeel: Was hoping for a bit more body.

Drinkability: The best part of this beer is that you could definitely sit back and pound a few of these without it getting to you.

Overall: A good brew, but in my opinion it can hold a candle to Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

2.96/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer is an copper orange, with a faint bit of cloudiness. There was a slight head after pouring but it faded quickly away. It appears mostly still, the haziness of the brew makes seeing any carbonation difficult unless under heavy scrutiny.

The smell of this beer is phenomenal. To me it is the epitome of the holidays. Allspice, hints of cinnamon and cloves, it's smells much like a dessert itself.

On the first sip, the multitude of flavors begin to fight with each other. They settled down with what seemed like a malty sweetness on the palatte with cinnamon, and fruity hints of pumpkin.

It's mouth feel isn't wonderful, almost acidic, but the finish is very nice with some lingering fruit notes.

This is definitely not a sit on the porch and drink a few bottles. It is a "must consume with food" beer. It's a great complement with holiday foods, from salty sausage stuffing to pumpkin pie with whip cream. Turkey and gravy, ham with a honey glaze. You get the picture. This is a seasonal beer afterall. If you haven't tried it, or even if you have, try it during the next holiday season with the foods of Thanksgiving or Christmas. It'll be worth the wait.

2.5/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beers spices of Nutmeg and clove are over very stong, very light body and medium orange color the taste of pumpkin is light I would of hoped for more of a pumpkin flavor. As you open the bottle the spicy aroma hits you hard and fast. I will drink my 6 pack and maybe buy it again next year to see if it changes .

3.54/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I liked this Pumpkin Ale version. I like a pumpkin beer to taste of pumpkin and spices and this delivers on both. Perhaps it is personal taste, but my wife and I tried this and another brewer's pumpkin beer at the same time. Without consultation, we both chose this one over the other.

2.74/5  rDev -6.8%

Typical pumpkin beer, not that that is a bad thing. I enjoy my pumpkin beer a few times a year. A full strong pumpkin flavor.

C

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

The label caught my eye so I grabbed it. I was hoping for a nice spiced beer, not that I am a fan of "flavored" beers, but I was in an open mood tonight.

I opened the bottle and the smell of spices was very strong. I became hopeful. Poured it into a Pils glass and got a nice three-fingered head, though it left in about a minute with absolutely no lace, none at all. I really like the color though, it hinted at good things to come. Kind of like a first date, and like most first date's, that was as exciting as it got. The first in-glass smell was pretty pungent, in a bad way. No more spice or pumpkin for that matter. It had no real smell to speak of, though as it warmed in my hand it let out a slight pumpkin spice smell, though faint, very faint.

I took a taste and instantly loathed this beer. No flavor at all, the first thing that came to mind was flat water. No carbonation. Just liquid. I tried to give it a bit of leeway, it is a "pumpkin pie" beer after all. But it was just bad.

I gave the last few drinks to my wife... she loved it, said it had a great pumpkin pie flavor, wants to give it away at Thanksgiving. I can't wait.

Considering how much my wife enjoyed it, I may grudgingly give it another try, probably at Thanksgiving. Like I said, can't wait.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery