Strawberry Blonde Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by DrDemento456 on 07-12-2012

4.21/5  rDev +24.6%

I had a chance to review their Blueberry Stout the other morning, so now I am (kind of) following it up with this one. It is interesting that it is a "Strawberry Blonde with Ginger" since strawberry blondes are a subset of redheads who are often referred to as "gingers". I am a big fan of redheads, being one myself and I look forward to this beer.

From the bottle: "a Refreshing Summer Brew".

I went with an aggro pour as I like to watch the pseudo-cascade take place, plus I do not mind massive amounts of head or the esters that it releases in its creation. It settled into two fingers of rocky, foaming, off-white head with decent retention. The nose was very sweet, initially, like strawberry candy, but when I leaned in, I got a solid whiff of ginger. Color was a solid golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and as my old nemeses, Croesus, Midas and Mammon appeared, I snatched it away to convey that this one was mine, all mine! Great lacing had begun to form as the head fell and I lifted the glass for my first sip. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was extremely pleasant! The strawberry flavor was nowhere near as sweet as I had expected from the nose and the ginger was understated enough that I could taste it, but without overwhelming the strawberry. Finish was semi-sweet and about as perfect a Summer beer as I can imagine.

4.09/5  rDev +21%

Transparent urine colored brew. Descent head on the pour but weak retention and no lacing.

Sweet smelling with hints of tart strawberries. Grainy and smooth.

Bready malt backbone with a smooth texture. Semi-tart strawberries add a crisp, drying quality. Ginger compliements a mildly bitter herbal hop character. Good balance.

Light body. Highly carbonated. Crisp, dry finish from the tart strawberries and ginger.

Good blonde ale/fruit beer/spiced beer. Whatever you want to call it, it has good flavor and balance. An interesting combination of fruit and spice.

4.04/5  rDev +19.5%

I enjoyed this beer much more than I expected to! While the color was very standard for a blonde, it was slightly cloudy; I suspect that American wheat yeast is used (somewhat typical of an American fruit beer) and that would account for the cloudiness. The nose was very pleasant and fruity with apples, pear, strawberry and grapes coming to mind. The taste followed the nose with lightly tart fruit being predominant. Strawberries, apple and grape; the wheat and grains shine through, and a clean finish is obtained thanks to the subtle ginger. Mouthfeel is thin side of medium and the carbonation seems a little heavy but is appropriate for a fruit beer I suppose. This was very easy to drink and would be a great warm weather session beer.

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Well I liked the Blueberry stout so I picked this one up in my mixed six. I guess it's like Pete's Wicked ale but with ginger.

Ow and another site said Brewed by Pyramid brewing? Not sure.

A - A hard pour produced a 1/4 inch of white head that quickly fizzes to a lace ring. Color is a bright golden yellow.

S - The Strawberries smell kind of candy like so I hope they have some level of tartness. Ginger is also picked up mixed in there. I smell little overall hops.

T - Well it's not bad I can't tell if the strawberries are real but they are not very distracting. Ginger gives it a snap mid palate providing a good balance with the wheat. Overall enjoyable.

M - Light to medium its easy to drink.

Overall it's a beer with mostly crisp ginger taste, wheat, and a mild body of Strawberries. Not bad in my book.

3.64/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Buffalo Bill's Strawberry Blonde with Ginger: Smell: light strawberry and wheat; Taste/Mouthfeel: very light strawberry, wheat, crisp ginger "burn", refreshing; good/pretty good

Had at the restaurant, poured into a pilsner glass

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, gold in color, hazy, moderate carbonation

Smell: strawberry, English malt, and ginger

Taste: strawberry, English malt, touch of rhubarb--maybe, and ginger

Mouthfeel: sweet and spicy, moderate carbonation, medium bodied

Overall:Very interesting brew--complex sorta of like Brooklyn's the Concoction, but not as deep a flavor. You have to like ginger to like this one. I could probably do three or four on a hot summer's day.

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked this one up tonight at Brewforia Meridian on the way home from work... Paid a pricey $2ish... but I am a sucker for strawberry brews. Poured into my slim tulip ... A decent white head dies pretty quickly... the brew is a slightly hazed light golden.

On the nose, the ginger sorta beats out the strawberry quite badly... the fruit is there, but is not nearly enough... some background pale maltiness helps carry the aromas.

Flavor is better than the aroma... decent fruitiness comes out mid palate... ginger is now the 2nd fiddle... again, a light maltiness delivers the flavors and makes for a fairly decent brew.

Body is light/medium... carbonation is fairly abundant and prickly..

I am surprised I like this one as much as I do... refreshing... expensive, but refreshing... I would certainly buy again as long as it is fresh.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/4