Strawberry Blonde Ale | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

buffalobillsbrewery.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by DrDemento456 on 07-12-2012

3.17/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a murky light yellow-orange with a foamy beige that settles to a thin cap on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, ginger, and some mild strawberry aromas. Taste is much the same with a slight buttery flavor on the finish. There is a mild ginger bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer and the buttery flavor I am getting isn't working very well with the strawberry and ginger combo.

3.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.12/5  rDev -7.7%

Popped the cap on this one and it let out a powerful pop, it didn't foam over but thought it might with the amount of pressure it let out. The beer poured out with a big amount of white heady on top. The body is a hazy golden color. The smell of the beer has a subtle strawberry note with quite a bit of ginger on the nose also. The taste has a dominant ginger flavor with the strawberry coming in during the finish. There isn't much bitterness in this beer but it's sweet and fruity. The mouthfeel of the beer is pretty carbonated, a little too much maybe... It's light bodied and still easy to drink. Overall it's a decent brew but I expects a bit more Strawberry out of this one from Buffalo Bill's.

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

The short-lived strawberry harvest yields a ton of appetizing products. Along with Abita Strawberry Harvest, Dogfish Head's Tweason Ale, and a smattering of sour ales; Buffalo Bill's Brewery takes their turn...

As the beer pours with a medium yellow, gold straw color, it forms a stinted persistent head with intermittent keys of lace above a mild pectin haze.

A full-out aromatic display of Strawberry, ginger, and near cough syrup floods the nose with strong fruit and spice notes that remind me of both root beer and Jeger-bombs (Jegermeister and Red Bull) ...don't ask, please.

Grain flavors drive the flavor spread with a lot of dry barley that carries cereal, husk, and bready taste. Dry to taste but the fruit flavors seem nearly of the skins of grape, the seeds of berries, and the pith of citrus- very little strawberry character of the nose carries over to taste. Slighly soapy, and bitingly bitter, the beer leaves final impressions of boiled fruit to linger in memory.

Thin and grainy, the mouthfeel leaves little to celebrate. The cereal hust taste translates to harsh bite and tannin astringency, presumably from the abused fruit during the boil or fermentation practice. With little malt support, the beer is left watery, thin, and with a heavy carbonic bite.

The beer delivers some pleasantries to the nose although those are oddly alluring, but none of that manifests in taste, texture, or in its lingering effects. I was hoping for more, but knowing many of the other beers from the brewery, this one seems to fit right in.

4.21/5  rDev +24.6%

I had a chance to review their Blueberry Stout the other morning, so now I am (kind of) following it up with this one. It is interesting that it is a "Strawberry Blonde with Ginger" since strawberry blondes are a subset of redheads who are often referred to as "gingers". I am a big fan of redheads, being one myself and I look forward to this beer.

From the bottle: "a Refreshing Summer Brew".

I went with an aggro pour as I like to watch the pseudo-cascade take place, plus I do not mind massive amounts of head or the esters that it releases in its creation. It settled into two fingers of rocky, foaming, off-white head with decent retention. The nose was very sweet, initially, like strawberry candy, but when I leaned in, I got a solid whiff of ginger. Color was a solid golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and as my old nemeses, Croesus, Midas and Mammon appeared, I snatched it away to convey that this one was mine, all mine! Great lacing had begun to form as the head fell and I lifted the glass for my first sip. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was extremely pleasant! The strawberry flavor was nowhere near as sweet as I had expected from the nose and the ginger was understated enough that I could taste it, but without overwhelming the strawberry. Finish was semi-sweet and about as perfect a Summer beer as I can imagine.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

2.99/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I'm not sure about this beer, but I tend to like a bit more strawberry than blonde, if you catch my drift... Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly-hazy bronze-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises strawberry syrup backed by a firm contingent of bland wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with the wheat taking the lead now, which, in turn, somehow makes the strawberry seem even more artificial than before. I'm not sure I'm getting any of the ginger they tell me is in there... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, an okay beer at best, one that just seems too artificial and uncooperative for its own good.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked this one up tonight at Brewforia Meridian on the way home from work... Paid a pricey $2ish... but I am a sucker for strawberry brews. Poured into my slim tulip ... A decent white head dies pretty quickly... the brew is a slightly hazed light golden.

On the nose, the ginger sorta beats out the strawberry quite badly... the fruit is there, but is not nearly enough... some background pale maltiness helps carry the aromas.

Flavor is better than the aroma... decent fruitiness comes out mid palate... ginger is now the 2nd fiddle... again, a light maltiness delivers the flavors and makes for a fairly decent brew.

Body is light/medium... carbonation is fairly abundant and prickly..

I am surprised I like this one as much as I do... refreshing... expensive, but refreshing... I would certainly buy again as long as it is fresh.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, gold in color, hazy, moderate carbonation

Smell: strawberry, English malt, and ginger

Taste: strawberry, English malt, touch of rhubarb--maybe, and ginger

Mouthfeel: sweet and spicy, moderate carbonation, medium bodied

Overall:Very interesting brew--complex sorta of like Brooklyn's the Concoction, but not as deep a flavor. You have to like ginger to like this one. I could probably do three or four on a hot summer's day.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Well I liked the Blueberry stout so I picked this one up in my mixed six. I guess it's like Pete's Wicked ale but with ginger.

Ow and another site said Brewed by Pyramid brewing? Not sure.

A - A hard pour produced a 1/4 inch of white head that quickly fizzes to a lace ring. Color is a bright golden yellow.

S - The Strawberries smell kind of candy like so I hope they have some level of tartness. Ginger is also picked up mixed in there. I smell little overall hops.

T - Well it's not bad I can't tell if the strawberries are real but they are not very distracting. Ginger gives it a snap mid palate providing a good balance with the wheat. Overall enjoyable.

M - Light to medium its easy to drink.

Overall it's a beer with mostly crisp ginger taste, wheat, and a mild body of Strawberries. Not bad in my book.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

3.52/5  rDev +4.1%

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a clean deep yellow color with a white. In the aroma, strawberry sweetness, with notes of ginger. In the taste, spice to strawberry sweetness, with a lingering ginger. A spice bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry ginger with a small strawberry sweetness in the aftertaste. The strawberry is decent, but the the ginger is just a bit too much.

3.13/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.07/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance - light honey-gold pour with suspended sediment. Thin head even with a hard pour, but it is somehow holding onto a thin partial cover.

Aroma - alcopop, grain and strawberry.

Taste - the first pull is a healthy one (I'm thirsty), about what I was expecting. Grainy and with mildly sweet strawberry flavor. A mild huskiness on the aftertaste. A clean finish, not sugary which is a plus.

Mouthfeel - very fluffy and bubbly, average carbonation.

Overall - easy enouigh to drink but more of a summery change of pace thing.

1.25/5  rDev -63%

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy by 08-01-13.

Pours a honey-copper color. Thin white head only reaches a quarter-inch. Lacing is a pipe dream.

Syrupy berry aroma. Notes of artificial blueberry and strawberry jam. Maybe a whisp of this so-called ginger additive. Very sweet and fruity.

Sweet grain, strawberry pie filling, artificial blueberry, artificial blue raspberry, and finishing sweet ginger. Doesn't taste awful, nor unlike a beer. It is a bit sweet and overly contrived. Fruitiness is nectary and burdening. Could use more hop bitterness (there is some).

Fantastically easy to imbibe. Carb balances out a slick, medium body. Easily crushable.

A fairly unexceptional fruity blonde. No finesse. No evidence of fresh fruit. No harm, no real foul. The six-pack will be drunk up, no problem. But, I won't miss it when it's gone.

3.39/5  rDev +0.3%

Picked this up a few weeks back at Total Wine in West Orange, having never had this before and not drinking anything from Buffalo Bill's in quite a long time. I wanted something light for the season but not the same as the "lawnmower beers" that are still on the shelf for the time being. In it's own way, this was another example of that aforementioned style but there just a bit of distinction to this to make it stand out, even though there wasn't anything particularly memorable about this beer.

The pour to this was this brew's best aspect, by far. A nice golden waxy hue, frothy head, solid lacing, and sufficient carbonation combined for a pleasing appearance. Then I took a whiff. Syrup. Ginger. A hint of wheat. None of them seemed to really mesh with each other and that was the case when it came to the taste as well. The strawberry felt artificial and the ginger only came through in the aftertaste, once the slickness of this went down my throat. The wheat felt grassy in tone and wasn't strong enough to help the mouthfeel of this beer out. That felt weak and somewhat watered-down, but not as much as would be found in a Macro Lager. Lots of suds here but in this case, they detracted from the taste and lack of flavors to scrub away.

Thankfully, the alcohol was light in this and I couldn't even taste it during my session. I'm not a huge fan of Blonde Ales - especially those that verge on the border of a Fruit of Vegetable beer. This is a change from other summer seasonal beers that are currently still out but only in the sense that none have ginger in them or feel as contrived as this. Worth a go once just for a change but this is one beer that I probably wouldn't get again.

Strawberry Blonde Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery